Rice

SenorFreebie

I should start this request off with a story.

dibbins-hut.jpg

I was on a section of the Australian Alpine Walking Track in 2015, late one night. I'd just arrived at this hut, and had my gear set down, and a fire going, when a tall, skinny, bearded old guy came in with a giant pack. He'd just hitched a ride to the nearby Great Alpine Rd, and walked down to the hut, to start a hike in the opposite direction to me. We chatted as he got his stuff out, to prepare his meals, and out came an 8kg bag of rice. He wasn't even planning on travelling far enough to use it all, but for the uninitiated that's a HUGE amount of calories and kgs to be carrying up and down mountains

Thinking back on this, I realised that rice is a relatively stable food item that must be cooked, before it can be eaten, unlike many others in The Long Dark, so it would have it's own place in your decision making process. Plus, it's often stored in houses for long periods, because of it's shelf life.

You could also have a mechanic whereby, when you open a bag or container, it begins to degrade much faster.

Cool looking cabin. I think rice, pasta, dried bean etc have all been requested before as new wish list food items, which would have to be boiled with water to eat. Same with other meals suggested mixing water with meat veg to make a stew or soup etc. but yeah more diverse food items the better I say as long as it doesn't get to overwhelming.

That's a good suggestion and a new game mecanism, that can be well balanced :
- Needs to be cooked and uses as much water as rice (1L/kg) -> mecanism implemented for tea/coffee ;
- Low condition decay and low weight before cooking (dry product) ;
- High condition decay (moisture) and high weight (water + rice) once cooked.

This may even create a new feeding strategy, cooking a meal just before eating (immersion +++), instead of cooking stockpiles. I like it a lot.

I was thinking of rice and (porridge) oats as two dry foods that could be in game and need cooking before eating.
For the realists - both could be used to stave off constipation as an infliction from a diet too heavy in meat.

I was also thinking of cocoa powder as an additional hot drink material - benefit is warmth and calories, just like the aided sleeping / reduced fatigue, plus warmth from tea and coffee.

Personally, while I pretty much live off of oats when hiking, I don't think it really stands up to the elements as well as rice. A bag of rice, being knocked around in your backpack is still going to be a bag of rice at the end of the day, but the oats will suffer more, at least in my opinion. Plus oats can be eaten with cold water, so that reduces the added demand on the player!

I personally wouldn't bother preserving meat with salt when it's always well below freezing.

edit-------

I think it would be cool to find bags of rice(or farro or oats, whatever)....and not just small amounts but a good sack of it. Make it very rare too. That would make it one of those "sweeeeet" moments

Archived