Cannot rest even though close to dying is inconsistent

yoli

Hi, I am playing the new map which is super difficult, so my survival success is close to zero and I often die. How frustrating it is that when my character is close to dying because of hypothermia, he cannot go into his sleeping bag and rest to maybe get better in a few hours especially when close to a fire. The game just tells that I cannot rest because I am not tired enough. This is ridiculous! Hope you'll fix this in a next update.

What level are you playing (Interloper, Pilgrim, etc.)?  It sounds like you're jumping in at a more difficult level.  Interloper will not allow you to sleep if you're not tired.  I think easier levels might allow it, but I'm not sure.  It might help to try an easier level until you get used to how things work.

I am playing in the difficulty level just before interpolar. I am used to this difficulty level, the one before is usually too easy, but what I am pointing here is that not being able to use the sleeping bag when in disastrous situation is just unrealistic, this has nothing to do with the difficulty level. Difficulty must not be achieved by making things unrealistic, else this is a design flaw.

Thanks guys, I'll try these. Nonetherless, I think the default behavior (mentioned at the beginning of this thread) is not good design-wise, TLD should not implement unrealistic situations to make things more difficult.

3 hours ago, Airborne said:

Neither do I find it bad design, nor unrealistic - why should one be able to get a good night sleep without being remotely tired. Weakening the effect of freezing temperatures, that is what the "pass time" option is for.

When the character is at 2% life and the game tells you he's not tired enough, there is a little problem. Problem is the fatigue does not seem to follow up enough on the general health condition. When getting at a very low life level, the fatigue should be high.

While I think it would be justified to make the character tired at low life - that will make actually surviving close calls much harder, so while it would help you now it wouldve hurt you to be pushed to high fatigue when whatever happened to cause you to reach 2% condition hit you. You could easily have died from the extra condition loss from having 100% fatigue, or more like from cold as you move at a drasticaly reduced rate.

On 18.6.2018 at 3:06 PM, Riotintheair said:

While I think it would be justified to make the character tired at low life - that will make actually surviving close calls much harder, so while it would help you now it wouldve hurt you to be pushed to high fatigue when whatever happened to cause you to reach 2% condition hit you. You could easily have died from the extra condition loss from having 100% fatigue, or more like from cold as you move at a drasticaly reduced rate.

I would simply harshly increase the fatigue depletion rate once your condition drops below 10%. As if you were suffering from hypothermia for example. This way you would be able to become tired faster and thus being able to sleep longer!

On 20/06/2018 at 10:33 PM, TerribleSurvivor said:

I would simply harshly increase the fatigue depletion rate once your condition drops below 10%. As if you were suffering from hypothermia for example. This way you would be able to become tired faster and thus being able to sleep longer!

Right, this is what I would do too. Any feedback from the dev team?

On 6/20/2018 at 3:33 PM, TerribleSurvivor said:

It'd be nice to have as a custom setting, at least. I'd use it.

Maybe even have it kick in earlier than 10% and have the effect increase as you go down - the more condition you lose, the more quickly you get tired.

It would make sense, ans it would also help a lot, especially for those of us who play without condition-regain while awake.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 12:18 PM, stratvox said:

Put down the sleeping bag, then point at it and click for the sleep menu. At the top, you'll see a tab with playing cards. Select it. That's the pass time tab. Use it to pass time in the sleeping bag with its warmth bonus.

Thanks for that tip, @stratvox!  I'm embarrassed to say that I've played this game for well over a thousand hours and I never noticed the temperature difference passing time normally or in a sleeping bag or bed.  Good info!

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2018 at 4:47 PM, yoli said:

TLD should not implement unrealistic situations to make things more difficult.

Oh.. do you perhaps mean things like:

• Wolves that are not only not scared of humans, but attack them on sight?
  • Food with ridiculously low calorie content?
  • Exertion burning ridiculously high amounts of calories?
  • Meat animals with ridiculously low quantities of edible meat on them?
  • Sprains occurring even on level ground with no obstructions in sight?
  • Ridiculously long cooking times?
  • Ridiculously heavy water purification tablets?
  • Excessively heavy tools and other equipment?
  • Ridiculously short-lived whetstones?
  • Ridiculously short-lived firestrikers?
  • Etc, etc, etc...

All these things (including the thing you take issue with) exist because they make for more challenging, more interesting gameplay.

And "realism" always takes a back-seat to gameplay (and always should). Too realistic = boring.

On 7/5/2018 at 11:29 AM, MrWolf said:

Thanks for that tip, @stratvox!  I'm embarrassed to say that I've played this game for well over a thousand hours and I never noticed the temperature difference passing time normally or in a sleeping bag or bed.  Good info!

Don't worry @MrWolf I'm in a similar boat. Although I haven't put nearly that many hours in it, I have been playing for most of the game's life and never noticed it either.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:43 AM, JAFO said:

Oh.. do you perhaps mean things like:

• Wolves that are not only not scared of humans, but attack them on sight?
  • Food with ridiculously low calorie content?
  • Exertion burning ridiculously high amounts of calories?
  • Meat animals with ridiculously low quantities of edible meat on them?
  • Sprains occurring even on level ground with no obstructions in sight?
  • Ridiculously long cooking times?
  • Ridiculously heavy water purification tablets?
  • Excessively heavy tools and other equipment?
  • Ridiculously short-lived whetstones?
  • Ridiculously short-lived firestrikers?
  • Etc, etc, etc...

All these things (including the thing you take issue with) exist because they make for more challenging, more interesting gameplay.

And "realism" always takes a back-seat to gameplay (and always should). Too realistic = boring.

A lot of those are things I would love to change. Bump up the amount of meat from animals and also make the calorie content realistic. I would love it if I didn't have to eat four whole rabbits for breakfast. Make is so animals are way more rare. Make wolf struggles way more rare(in addition to actually seeing them) but also far more dangerous. Add tracking to the game.

The ridiculous sprains can already be disabled, and I do disable them.

Knives could be split into durability and sharpness. Sharpness being how well they function and durability being how long until it will break. Whetstones could last way longer if this were done.

Anyways I think there are plenty of ways to have the game make more sense without it losing any challenge.

Archived