Small wish list

Smilezz_g21

1. Anything made of wood can be broken down for its resource type.

2. Repairable sewing kits brought back.

3. Fishing hole as unclean water source.

4. Changeable UI to older numbers UI for ppl who cant see icons that well. This would be in the options menu when you fisrt start the game..  (note) this is a wish list entry, comments are welcome but not needed ty :)

Smilez, this was discussed on the thread that you deleted and on many threads beforehand; spamming will get you nowhere and will lead to rejection. 

None of this is happening because the devs are not going to backpedal on such parts of gameplay; you are simply part of a vocal minority that doesn’t understand how this game works. 

3 hours ago, Smilezz_g21 said:

Your right i dont understand how they say that they are going for a Realistic survival game when so many points of real survival is missing

Not every little detail needs to be in a game. The point of the game isn't a "real life simulator"

Spamming gets you nowhere

2 hours ago, Smilezz_g21 said:

This is only my second idea post ever on any forum page so i dont see how its spamming

That is already one too many. As passionate as we might be about certain things, we all get to suggest them once, maybe again but only after a long time, lets say two months later. Not the second day afterwards.

Still, what you are suggesting is a step back, not forward. I understand your point in wanting to have "everything usable" - but stop for a second and consider what that would be like. If anything could be used in some way, that are millions of hours of coding waiting to happen, and the final result would be that no matter where you would look, or click, you would have texts and descriptions everywhere, and clicking would be obnxious because if you tried to pick up, lets say, a flare from the ground and clicked on a carpet below, instead of picking up the flare you would get an option to harvest the carpet... it would be unplayable.

I am right there with you on the realism, but even I get to say that enough is enough. For example, your argument with unclean water from the lake: If that happened, then gathering of huge stores of water would be incredibly easy. That essentially means that there is no reason to even have it as a function in the game. So many other "survival" games have paid for this. They will have food and thirst as requirements in the game, but as soon as you get to a certain part of the game, you have so much of it that its no longer any issue. And thats fair - because those games usually have more difficult goal that you are trying to achieve, like for example, a dungeon with bosses etc - not in TLD. TLD has always been about the "whats now" - it is a goal of the game to always have a need for something, and never have enough.

Why do you even need to have the repairable sewing kits? You can always use fishing tackle as a substitute. And that is what it comes down to... being able to improvise your tools because your produced tools have been exhausted.

At the same time, if you can recognize that some items are rare to have, you will be saving them from the start of the game. For example the sewing kits - I know they can help my crafting a lot, make it faster - so I will be saving them by repairing my clothes with easily obtained fishing tackles from the start of the game. Repairs will be longer, sure, but that doesnt bother me, usually. I will save the sewing kits for crafting to make the crafting faster.

This is not supposed to be a simulator - it is supposed to be realistic enough kind of game, but game that is also challenging. For example, do you really think that a deer only has 8 kg of meat on it, or that you have to eat 2-3 kg of meat a day in order to be well fed? No, those "attributes" are only that way to make the game more challenging, and more fun to play. They are not that realistic.

3 hours ago, Smilezz_g21 said:

Small question then? Why must everyone be stuck playing a difficult way like you propose. Some ppl like things easy. And if i read the title when it loads it says (how long can you survive) my goal is to get  the character to 60 yrs and die of old age

I don’t understand your point...

Just use custom difficulty and make everything easier for you. If you want to make the game easier and more boring, then go right ahead

10 hours ago, Smilezz_g21 said:

Small question then? Why must everyone be stuck playing a difficult way like you propose. Some ppl like things easy. And if i read the title when it loads it says (how long can you survive) my goal is to get  the character to 60 yrs and die of old age

I can turn this around to you. Why does everyone has to be stuck with the easy difficulty you want, then?

See, this dilemma is exactly why I predicted Hinterland will add custom difficulty. To give us the freedom to tailor the game to ourselves better.

But, to answer your question - my outlook is shared by over 85% of the community - thats a crushing majority. Besides, if we were to add your suggestions, it would ultimatedly kill the enjoyment of the game - because, like I mentioned before, TLD is not about peaceful live-with-the-land kind of game, its "fight for your daily survival" kind of game. Just because you prefer to play it on easiest settings, hoard everything in one place and sit on it, doing nothing to the end of the days, doesnt mean everyone else has to do that too.

Can you play the game till 60yrs now? Yes, you can.

So do you really need those changes? No.

Would those changes alter the game forever for everyone else, in a bad way? Yes.

This game is not just about you, and what you want.

Now I am able to play that game till the character is 60 as well - I dont need handicaps like the ones you are suggesting to do it. I am perfectly fine with working hard on gaining my supplies. It is far more rewarding.

Woah folks! It is not spamming to post an ideas thread. Lots of ideas over the years have been reposted. If everything was only allowed to be posted once the forums would be a very quiet place :(

If you think someone is spamming (or posting and deleting to move the thread up) just report the post and let the moderators take care of it. 

Additionally, please no personal attacks. Disagree all you want but please keep the discussion civil. 

@Mpat120 Then please flag the thread and a mod will ask @Smilezz_g21 to stop. People get very passionate about this game and everyone has their own perfect version of it. As such, some folks will do silly things (like spamming) to promote their ideas. For instance, about a year back, there was a forum member who created a second account to serve as a straw man to back up their arguments. It was a bit annoying. But it's the mods' job to curate the forums with the community's help. Not the community's job to come down on someone like a ton of bricks. 

If the post is in the welcome thread how do i find and delete it. This is my first time ever on a forum page and dont know how to do this. My duaghter deleted the first post i made cause she said ppl wear being mean about an idea post. I told her to leave my phone alone and had to repost orginal idea. Sorry if this bothered any one

Didn't bother me.  I, for one, like most of these ideas.  I'm also looking to die at 60 of old age (more like 90 though).

It's not about easy, it's about perpetuating the survival process.  As it stands now, most things in the game are ultimately limited by something.  You can't make infinite arrows because saplings don't respawn and scrap metal is a finite resource.  Your clothing will inevitably decay and become unusable because cloth is a finite resource.  Assuming these truths to be immutable, a clever survivalist would learn to craft arrowheads out of bone, or stone, or flint, or something else.  A clever survivalist would learn to tear out the seats of cars for the leather/cloth and thus increase the lifespan of his/her clothing.  A clever survivalist would find a way.

So instead of crapping all over the OP for his valid ideas that deserve discussion, if not implementation, can we please talk about how things could be made to work so that everyone stays or becomes happy with the game?  At the end of the day if you don't like repairable sewing kits, don't repair your sewing kits.

As far as easy/hard, isn't that why they just implemented custom difficulty settings?

4 minutes ago, Sunwolf said:

As it stands now, most things in the game are ultimately limited by something.  You can't make infinite arrows because saplings don't respawn and scrap metal is a finite resource.  Your clothing will inevitably decay and become unusable because cloth is a finite resource.

Well, beachcombing can get you both saplings and scrap metal. Please read detailled data here : http://www.hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/17579-beach-combing-data/

Concerning clothes, as long as you can hunt, you can either craft your own from furs, or use materials from beachcombing to repair them. So technically, resources are not finite.

7 minutes ago, StrayCat said:

Well, beachcombing can get you both saplings and scrap metal. Please read detailled data here : http://www.hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/17579-beach-combing-data/

Concerning clothes, as long as you can hunt, you can either craft your own from furs, or use materials from beachcombing to repair them. So technically, resources are not finite.

Now that is a productive post.  Thanks!

20 hours ago, Smilezz_g21 said:

If the post is in the welcome thread how do i find and delete it. This is my first time ever on a forum page and dont know how to do this. My duaghter deleted the first post i made cause she said ppl wear being mean about an idea post. I told her to leave my phone alone and had to repost orginal idea. Sorry if this bothered any one

If you click on your user name it will bring you to a list of every post and forum action you have performed. 

On 17.12.2017 at 5:54 AM, Smilezz_g21 said:

1. Anything made of wood can be broken down for its resource type.

2. Repairable sewing kits brought back.

3. Fishing hole as unclean water source.

4. Changeable UI to older numbers UI for ppl who cant see icons that well. This would be in the options menu when you fisrt start the game..  (note) this is a wish list entry, comments are welcome but not needed ty :)

1. Wood as a resource is practically infinite. Fir and Cedar respawns and thus is infinite. Reclaimed wood is finite, but you only need it to craft snares. And it can be reclaimed again from broken snares. So unless you burn it, reclaimed wood never runs out.

2. This sounds as if sewing kits were repairable once. But I can‘t remember that they ever were. Anyway, they can be substituted with fishing tackles which in turn are practically infinite. You should be able to play your ingame character for 60 ingame years without running out. Although I would question your sanity if you actually did.

3. The first requirement for introducing this into the game would be to distinguish between salt water and... how do you call the opposite... sweet water? Because some fishing holes are in the ocean. That raises the next question whether the player should be allowed to drink salt water and what the effect should be. It would make the game more complicated. Still, many folks have requested this. So maybe we will see it in a future update.

4. I don‘t understand. What is an ‚older numbers UI‘?

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎24 at 5:32 PM, Hotzn said:

The first requirement for introducing this into the game would be to distinguish between salt water and... how do you call the opposite... sweet water?

The term you're looking for is "fresh water" ;)

English is a funny language :D 

On 12/17/2017 at 7:03 AM, Mroz4k said:

That is already one too many. As passionate as we might be about certain things, we all get to suggest them once, maybe again but only after a long time, lets say two months later. Not the second day afterwards.

Still, what you are suggesting is a step back, not forward. I understand your point in wanting to have "everything usable" - but stop for a second and consider what that would be like. If anything could be used in some way, that are millions of hours of coding waiting to happen, and the final result would be that no matter where you would look, or click, you would have texts and descriptions everywhere, and clicking would be obnxious because if you tried to pick up, lets say, a flare from the ground and clicked on a carpet below, instead of picking up the flare you would get an option to harvest the carpet... it would be unplayable.

I am right there with you on the realism, but even I get to say that enough is enough. For example, your argument with unclean water from the lake: If that happened, then gathering of huge stores of water would be incredibly easy. That essentially means that there is no reason to even have it as a function in the game. So many other "survival" games have paid for this. They will have food and thirst as requirements in the game, but as soon as you get to a certain part of the game, you have so much of it that its no longer any issue. And thats fair - because those games usually have more difficult goal that you are trying to achieve, like for example, a dungeon with bosses etc - not in TLD. TLD has always been about the "whats now" - it is a goal of the game to always have a need for something, and never have enough.

Why do you even need to have the repairable sewing kits? You can always use fishing tackle as a substitute. And that is what it comes down to... being able to improvise your tools because your produced tools have been exhausted.

At the same time, if you can recognize that some items are rare to have, you will be saving them from the start of the game. For example the sewing kits - I know they can help my crafting a lot, make it faster - so I will be saving them by repairing my clothes with easily obtained fishing tackles from the start of the game. Repairs will be longer, sure, but that doesnt bother me, usually. I will save the sewing kits for crafting to make the crafting faster.

This is not supposed to be a simulator - it is supposed to be realistic enough kind of game, but game that is also challenging. For example, do you really think that a deer only has 8 kg of meat on it, or that you have to eat 2-3 kg of meat a day in order to be well fed? No, those "attributes" are only that way to make the game more challenging, and more fun to play. They are not that realistic.

Except it is supposed to be a simulator. That is if @Raphael van Lieropstill uses and goes by the term "Survival Simulation" 

On 26. 12. 2017 at 5:05 PM, Fuarian said:

Except it is supposed to be a simulator. 

Fair enough. Poor choice of words on my part. Except you and me, we both very well know that they disregarded certain aspects into the game solely based on game balance. Like flint tools, for example. So even if you use the simulation argument, it doesn't change the fact that crossbow would be way, way too good for the game to be viable. Unless it was ridiculously nerfed, which would not be immersive at all.

5 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Fair enough. Poor choice of words on my part. Except you and me, we both very well know that they disregarded certain aspects into the game solely based on game balance. Like flint tools, for example. So even if you use the simulation argument, it doesn't change the fact that crossbow would be way, way too good for the game to be viable. Unless it was ridiculously nerfed, which would not be immersive at all.

Unless they made the game much harder. Which they should.

Archived