Question for Developers.

AlexandraRussia

On 11/2/2017 at 4:56 AM, AlexandraRussia said:

Hello respected developers, I read in the plans you have a survival where there will be times of the year, forgive you do not know when they will be ?.  I'm just curious .  Forgive me for distracting you.  It's just in winter for me personally to survive boringly to be honest.

The developers mentioned that there will be a substantial survival mode update sometime around December and the specific date is unknown. The only thing certian is that milton as a survival mode region and the moose will be added.

I'm not sure if I actually would want seasons in this game. Could you just imagine how a summer in this game would change things? They'd have to add swimming physics to the game. No more fridge at the front door means adding new ways to preserve food. Hmmm... I think I'm kinda changing my mind as I go over it in my head. That would be kinda cool. Say goodbye to the fishing huts, and hello to the naked wanderer! I bet you a modder is already working on it. Off to check the nexus...

1 hour ago, selfless said:

Probable outcomes:

Seasons will not be introduced by December.

Seasons will not be introduced by 2019 

Seasons will not be introduced.

I don't know. I think Season Two could be set in springtime.

Season One is called "Wintermute". Season Two could be called "Spring...loud"? And if they were going to do that, they may well want to test it in the sandbox version first, through some sort of early access/public beta type thing perhaps?

But yeah, we're looking way ahead in the future, if at all. And I'd certainly expect to have to pay for it.

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎03 at 7:28 PM, Pillock said:

I don't know. I think Season Two could be set in springtime.

Season One is called "Wintermute". Season Two could be called "Spring...loud"? And if they were going to do that, they may well want to test it in the sandbox version first, through some sort of early access/public beta type thing perhaps?

But yeah, we're looking way ahead in the future, if at all. And I'd certainly expect to have to pay for it.

I think @Raphael van Lierop posted a year or two ago that future seasons are where they plan to take the game and that, obviously, they'd be sold separately. I'm sure the fine folks at Hinterlands like being able to afford food. I don't know how that would apply to the sandbox gameplay though... maybe a DLC or expansion?

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎03 at 4:52 PM, selfless said:

Probable outcomes:

Seasons will not be introduced by December.

Seasons will not be introduced by 2019 

Seasons will not be introduced.

Based on the current development pace of the Long Dark I'd say yes to your first two points and no to the last one. I'd personally expect seasons to eventually come out but considering that Season 1 (Wintermute) took roughly four years to develop (the initial Kickstarter was in 2013) and work is still ongoing I'd predict the earliest Season 2 could be released would be 2020 (assuming most assets could be reused and an early access model is followed again). 

All we've ever said about the concept of different "seasons" is that it's a potentially interesting direction to take the game down the road. We don't have any other information to share at this time. 

Right now we're focused on the remaining Wintermute Episodes and continued Survival Mode updates like the one coming in December, mentioned above. :coffee:

Seasons was on the roadmap, which means it was merely "aspirational", seasons was neither a promise nor a lie. 

A lot of people take that roadmap too close to heart. 

Seasons would be a huge change to the games mechanics, assets, and balance. Itd be like creating a whole other game. Im guessing it would either come as an expansion or a second game judging by how much work would have to be done. 

That is, IF it ever happens, the roadmap was aspirational remember. So far theyve delivered a good portion of whats on it, like a "will" system where they cant read when sick or do some actions in the dark.

That said, spring summer and fall would be a welcome development. Just not now. 

On 11/7/2017 at 0:04 AM, cekivi said:

Based on the current development pace of the Long Dark I'd say yes to your first two points and no to the last one. I'd personally expect seasons to eventually come out but considering that Season 1 (Wintermute) took roughly four years to develop (the initial Kickstarter was in 2013) and work is still ongoing I'd predict the earliest Season 2 could be released would be 2020 (assuming most assets could be reused and an early access model is followed again). 

By “seasons” he means literal seasons, like summer, fall, etc. Based on that, I think a seasons would be a different game

Archived