Revert UI? (Optional maybe?) [RANT]

ArcherAC3

I've had a long, deep thought about this while also analysing older gameplay footage, and - although different from my last opinion while on the test branch for the Faithful Cartographer patch - I do believe, now, that this new UI was a serious drawback.

To start with, yes, I'm a console player, and the new hold to interact feature is totally annoying even for us with a controller. The last interaction method was perfectly fine and I seriously just can't see a reason for it to have been changed. I loved searching a drawer, for example, and getting excited while the search bar would be coming to an end, hoping to find an item. Now it's just DULL, you hold the button, the cricle fills up and everything you found is simply added in the end (assuming you found any item). This article says very well what I mean, and I do believe this was one of the biggest drawbacks from recent patches. Please, just *don't* try to fix something that is already working http://www.pcgamer.com/why-i-love-the-long-darks-painstaking-search-mechanic/

Secondly, the status indicators. They looked cool in the beggining, but I'm starting to miss the old ones with the bars showing exactly how much hungry, thristy, etc. I was. Now the hunger icon for example is all messed up. When you have around ~100 calories left you can't even see it on the icon because it's borders take the place where it should be filled. I want the direct, absolute values left. I wanna know exactly how many hours of daylight left my character think there is. I wanna see the status bars as a whole, from empty to full, without having to open menus and menus. I seriously wanted THIS back, please: https://youtu.be/3RNjoahoguw?t=240

3rd-ly: The "sheltered from wind" icon. What in the world is even that icon supposed to mean? Why would you change the last one, it was absolutely intuitive! We had a wind illustration just beside a shield icon, that made perfect sense and even a 5 years old could tell what it meant. Now I can't even make out what the new icon is. I had to check 3 times the icon would show up when I was next to a rock to be sure it meant I was under cover from wind, but I still have my doubts.

The inventory. Not only it has totally been changed from a fully functional one, now, after a patch, you also have to click twice so you can get into the inventory item selection itself. It has basically been patched to function worse. I'm sorry if I sound angry, but it's frustating for me, as a player, to see you guys doing all of these bad decisions prior to launch after years of positive development. The game became duller after it was great.

It would be so, so great if we could revert to the old UI through a settings option. Mainly because of the (already cited) new interation system. If I, with a controller, am already frustated with this dumb hold-the-button feature, I can't even imagine what PC players felt. If only we would have received the option to use the new UI instead of being forced to do so...

This, added with multiple other small annoying undesired and unnecessary changes to the game (which I won't note here, since we'd be getting way off topic) have basically made me not want to play TLD near as much as before. I was so excited to get and start playing it again after wintermute came out, but I have only touched the game twice for a couple of hours since story mode was launched. I have totally lost that excitement and desire to play this.

1 hour ago, ArcherAC3 said:

I've had a long, deep thought about this while also analysing older gameplay footage, and - although different from my last opinion while on the test branch for the Faithful Cartographer patch - I do believe, now, that this new UI was a serious drawback.

To start with, yes, I'm a console player, and the new hold to interact feature is totally annoying even for us with a controller. The last interaction method was perfectly fine and I seriously just can't see a reason for it to have been changed. I loved searching a drawer, for example, and getting excited while the search bar would be coming to an end, hoping to find an item. Now it's just DULL, you hold the button, the cricle fills up and everything you found is simply added in the end (assuming you found any item). This article says very well what I mean, and I do believe this was one of the biggest drawbacks from recent patches. Please, just *don't* try to fix something that is already working http://www.pcgamer.com/why-i-love-the-long-darks-painstaking-search-mechanic/

Secondly, the status indicators. They looked cool in the beggining, but I'm starting to miss the old ones with the bars showing exactly how much hungry, thristy, etc. I was. Now the hunger icon for example is all messed up. When you have around ~100 calories left you can't even see it on the icon because it's borders take the place where it should be filled. I want the direct, absolute values left. I wanna know exactly how many hours of daylight left my character think there is. I wanna see the status bars as a whole, from empty to full, without having to open menus and menus. I seriously wanted THIS back, please: https://youtu.be/3RNjoahoguw?t=240

3rd-ly: The "sheltered from wind" icon. What in the world is even that icon supposed to mean? Why would you change the last one, it was absolutely intuitive! We had a wind illustration just beside a shield icon, that made perfect sense and even a 5 years old could tell what it meant. Now I can't even make out what the new icon is. I had to check 3 times the icon would show up when I was next to a rock to be sure it meant I was under cover from wind, but I still have my doubts.

The inventory. Not only it has totally been changed from a fully functional one, now, after a patch, you also have to click twice so you can get into the inventory item selection itself. It has basically been patched to function worse. I'm sorry if I sound angry, but it's frustating for me, as a player, to see you guys doing all of these bad decisions prior to launch after years of positive development. The game became duller after it was great.

It would be so, so great if we could revert to the old UI through a settings option. Mainly because of the (already cited) new interation system. If I, with a controller, am already frustated with this dumb hold-the-button feature, I can't even imagine what PC players felt. If only we would have received the option to use the new UI instead of being forced to do so...

This, added with multiple other small annoying undesired and unnecessary changes to the game (which I won't note here, since we'd be getting way off topic) have basically made me not want to play TLD near as much as before. I was so excited to get and start playing it again after wintermute came out, but I have only touched the game twice for a couple of hours since story mode was launched. I have totally lost that excitement and desire to play this.

At first I hated the new UI, but now i think it's more realistic. It's not like your character has a clock in his head....

I agree with the searching mechanic. It was perfect the way it was. It's manageable now though. Still.

The Status Icons are ok. I preferred the old bars BUT the new icons are way more intuitive. What do I mean? Well you said it, you don't know exactly how much you need. Which is more realistic imo. Minimalistic UI was always prominant in this game and I think it should stay that way. The bars took up a tiny bit more room on the screen as well. 

The wind icon is nearly the same, it's a little big up there and maybe moving it down to the corner and making it smaller would be better. 

You can just hit Y on the controller to get to your backpack... 

5 hours ago, Fuarian said:

I agree with the searching mechanic. It was perfect the way it was. It's manageable now though. Still.

I don't know. It is playable, but, as shown on the article I linked, the last one was way better. I just loved the searching mechanic. It's just too dull now.

The Status Icons are ok. I preferred the old bars BUT the new icons are way more intuitive. What do I mean? Well you said it, you don't know exactly how much you need. Which is more realistic imo. Minimalistic UI was always prominant in this game and I think it should stay that way. The bars took up a tiny bit more room on the screen as well. 

Yes, they did, although most of the time they'd only show up in the screen when you wanted them to by pressing a key. It was way easier having the bars with the small text on top (saying peckish, hungry, etc). Now I have to open menus to know. It just doesnt make sense the character not being able to tell how hungry he is by the icon, but then telling exactly how many calories he has by opening the menu. It was so much easier before, now everything requires opening a menu for some reason.

The wind icon is nearly the same, it's a little big up there and maybe moving it down to the corner and making it smaller would be better. 

I'm sorry, but it's not nearly the same. It's not anywhere close as the same. This was the wind icon: https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/intothelongdark/images/6/65/Windshield.png/revision/latest?cb=20170201053204

Now it looks like a tribal tatoo of some sort that nobody can tell what it means.

Just like the scent icon made me though my character was partially on fire or even carrying hot food or a flaming torch on the inventory. I had to google it for a couple of minutes to finally know that the scent icon actually meant scent. https://postimg.org/image/bzspkyzot/

You can just hit Y on the controller to get to your backpack... 

And then you have to click again and again so you can start moving items around. I can't even scroll between different categories with other buttons anymore. Now if I'm on the item selection I have to press B to go back, scroll up or down with my D-PAD or Left Stick, press A on the category I want (switching the window focus to the inventory screen) and then move an item around.

All the last changes made players have to waste more and more time on menus for things they could easily do before.

Well, people were starting to optimize every action, calculating everything with tables and so on. I guess hinterland didn't want this to happen, as TLD is a "visual poem" (as then so often say), and not an maths challenge. So they changed it to have everything more intuitive and natural.

17 hours ago, StrayCat said:

Well, people were starting to optimize every action, calculating everything with tables and so on. I guess hinterland didn't want this to happen, as TLD is a "visual poem" (as then so often say), and not an maths challenge. So they changed it to have everything more intuitive and natural.

But then people can open up a menu and resume on doing the same. The only difference is that now it's about two clicks aways instead of with a single click. The calories are still there as a number for example, we just have to open the menu to see it now.

Ttherefore this change still makes no sense for me. I'd really like an UI option on the settings. The last one was perfectly functional, doesn't make any sense for them to throw it away.

On 8/15/2017 at 7:32 PM, ArcherAC3 said:

Yes, they did, although most of the time they'd only show up in the screen when you wanted them to by pressing a key. It was way easier having the bars with the small text on top (saying peckish, hungry, etc). Now I have to open menus to know. It just doesnt make sense the character not being able to tell how hungry he is by the icon, but then telling exactly how many calories he has by opening the menu. It was so much easier before, now everything requires opening a menu for some reason.

Just like the scent icon made me though my character was partially on fire or even carrying hot food or a flaming torch on the inventory. I had to google it for a couple of minutes to finally know that the scent icon actually meant scent. https://postimg.org/image/bzspkyzot/

And then you have to click again and again so you can start moving items around. I can't even scroll between different categories with other buttons anymore. Now if I'm on the item selection I have to press B to go back, scroll up or down with my D-PAD or Left Stick, press A on the category I want (switching the window focus to the inventory screen) and then move an item around.

I don't know how to do that fancy separation of quotes from a single post, so I'll just write it all at once. Sorry!

I don't know which console you play on, but on the PS4, if you click the touchpad, it brings up the HUD, showing you your status in Temp, Water, Hunger, Smell, and the "Clock," so you don't actually have to go into a menu to see that information. True, it doesn't have numbers on it anymore, but you can gauge pretty well (and more immersively, I think) where you stand on everything based on the pictures. I did like the old mechanic of guessing about how many hours of light you had left, but tracking the sun through the sky also fits the game. I look at it as the difference between your character guessing what time of day it is based on the sun, and you figuring out what time of day it is based on the sun. Though I do wish they'd bring back the option to have the HUD always visible (especially while in your inventory!)

Ha! Yeah, the Smell-o-meter also made me think I was on fire the first time I saw it. Though, I can't really think of any better way to express it with such a minimal HUD style. I was a little sad I didn't get a little fire symbol when I actually DID walk into a fire a short while later. :P

I definitely agree that navigating the inventory is pretty clunky on a controller, especially when you want to immediately go to your Clothing tab or something. I have found, though, that (at least on PS4) you can tap L1/R1 while in a category of your inventory to go up/down a category (though this ONLY works from your inventory--not while in containers--and it is annoyingly buggy. Once you tap it once, it will cycle correctly, but sometimes the category it started from is unrelated to which one you currently have open.). The biggest offender here I think is when you're dealing with a container you've used as storage; opening it will not allow you access to any items until after you select a category, even if you're trying to withdraw the only item in the box.

On a side note, I feel like back in the beta (during some version), when you looted a piece of clothing, you had the option to equip it right from that screen? I may be mistaken in that, but it's something I find myself wanting, if only at the beginning of a new game. Maybe just a "equip to empty slot" option. Because I don't realistically see my character wandering around without shoes, then finding shoes, then putting the shoes in her backpack, only to then take the shoes out of her backpack to put them on. If she isn't wearing shoes and finds shoes, I feel like she should just be allowed to put on the shoes! That being said, that is just me nitpicking at the game. ;)

On 8/15/2017 at 1:34 AM, ArcherAC3 said:

I'm right there with you, buddy. I loved that old looting system. It felt so much more exciting! Though, I guess the upside of the current way of looting is that I always get surprised when I actually find something, since my hope dies as that circle fills (I played way too much of the beta to not have that instinctive reaction). I seem to recall reading in another thread about this (either here or on the Steam forums) that this looting change was done because people found the repeated clicks/button presses throughout the process to be irritating. I suspect that it is also related to that mechanic where you have to hold down the button to search (if an item was discovered, and you have to click to move past that screen, you're no longer holding it down, so the search would stop)---though it's not like that couldn't be easily solved. In fact, that annoying hold-to-do-something mechanic can be turned off in the Options menu. I believe under Controls. It will still fill up the circle as you do things, but you only need to click once to do that automatically. I don't see why that shouldn't just be the standard mode, given how difficult it can be sometimes to determine whether you need to click or hold.

And while we're on the subject of looting items, why can't we just get all the item's information up on the screen at once rather than a slow piece-by-piece? The information I find the most important tends to be the very last information displayed, and if the game pauses while we're looking at the looted item, anyway, why force me to sit there waiting for the chunk of information I want to show up? Granted, I think it has always been this way, so this is just a gripe I've always had when I find a high-loot area.

On 19/08/2017 at 6:54 PM, WanderingPalm said:

I don't know how to do that fancy separation of quotes from a single post, so I'll just write it all at once. Sorry!

Haha, you just click on "Quote" and then delete all the text you're not replying to. Afterwards, just click on Quote again and repeat  (not sure if there's an easier way xD)

I don't know which console you play on, but on the PS4, if you click the touchpad, it brings up the HUD, showing you your status in Temp, Water, Hunger, Smell, and the "Clock," so you don't actually have to go into a menu to see that information. True, it doesn't have numbers on it anymore, but you can gauge pretty well (and more immersively, I think) where you stand on everything based on the pictures. I did like the old mechanic of guessing about how many hours of light you had left, but tracking the sun through the sky also fits the game. I look at it as the difference between your character guessing what time of day it is based on the sun, and you figuring out what time of day it is based on the sun. Though I do wish they'd bring back the option to have the HUD always visible (especially while in your inventory!)

Yes, that makes sense, having everything based on intuition. I guess I'll just have to get used to this, although I didn't like it very much yet.

Ha! Yeah, the Smell-o-meter also made me think I was on fire the first time I saw it. Though, I can't really think of any better way to express it with such a minimal HUD style. I was a little sad I didn't get a little fire symbol when I actually DID walk into a fire a short while later. :P

Well, so I wasn't the only one :D. Sometimes asking for so much intuition can make things very confusing.

I definitely agree that navigating the inventory is pretty clunky on a controller, especially when you want to immediately go to your Clothing tab or something. I have found, though, that (at least on PS4) you can tap L1/R1 while in a category of your inventory to go up/down a category (though this ONLY works from your inventory--not while in containers--and it is annoyingly buggy. Once you tap it once, it will cycle correctly, but sometimes the category it started from is unrelated to which one you currently have open.). The biggest offender here I think is when you're dealing with a container you've used as storage; opening it will not allow you access to any items until after you select a category, even if you're trying to withdraw the only item in the box.

Yes, I think they should actually revert the invetory UI/system, this one is only making me waste time on menus. It's difficult to scroll, select and move items, especially on the controller. I really liked the one before the Faithful Cartographer update came out.

On a side note, I feel like back in the beta (during some version), when you looted a piece of clothing, you had the option to equip it right from that screen? I may be mistaken in that, but it's something I find myself wanting, if only at the beginning of a new game. Maybe just a "equip to empty slot" option. Because I don't realistically see my character wandering around without shoes, then finding shoes, then putting the shoes in her backpack, only to then take the shoes out of her backpack to put them on. If she isn't wearing shoes and finds shoes, I feel like she should just be allowed to put on the shoes! That being said, that is just me nitpicking at the game. ;)

Not sure, but I believe that before the new clothing system came out, you could equip clothing without having to place it on your inventory first. It would be so much easier if we could do this.

I'm right there with you, buddy. I loved that old looting system. It felt so much more exciting! Though, I guess the upside of the current way of looting is that I always get surprised when I actually find something, since my hope dies as that circle fills (I played way too much of the beta to not have that instinctive reaction). I seem to recall reading in another thread about this (either here or on the Steam forums) that this looting change was done because people found the repeated clicks/button presses throughout the process to be irritating. I suspect that it is also related to that mechanic where you have to hold down the button to search (if an item was discovered, and you have to click to move past that screen, you're no longer holding it down, so the search would stop)---though it's not like that couldn't be easily solved. In fact, that annoying hold-to-do-something mechanic can be turned off in the Options menu. I believe under Controls. It will still fill up the circle as you do things, but you only need to click once to do that automatically. I don't see why that shouldn't just be the standard mode, given how difficult it can be sometimes to determine whether you need to click or hold.

It was pretty sad when I saw this gone. It was, in my opinion, one of the coolest features in the game. And it was barely ever irritating, most of containers would barely even have an item. The only time when it could get a bit annoying was when looting the cargo crates at Timberwolf Mountain, since it could have a lot of items - although I never felt annoyed by it.

Yeah, I tried activating that one click mechanic, but then it kind of just holds the button for me - so much for me hoping that it would revert to the old looting system. Also, it doesn't seems to affect everything as I was also hoping, for example holding the LB opens up the radial menu, but my button is not working very well, therefore sometimes the game thinks I released the button, closing the menu. I really wished that the menu would stay open after I clicked LB and would close only after pressing the button again.

I actually just brought this up in a different thread...

Some people prefer a minimalist HUD for immersion reasons....SOME people. Typically not even most. That is why MOST games that offer a minimalist HUD....OFFER it as an OPTION. 

I never got to use the old UI, that had the status bars on the screen complete with the "feels like" temperature....but I have seen it in old YouTube videos. I would greatly prefer the old HUD.

Some games even incorporate the minimalist HUD into the higher difficulties, as presenting the player with less information makes the game more difficult....

I could see the minimalist HUD being forced on Interloper players, but having it as an option you can toggle on lower difficulties....

Oh, while we're at it, let's talk about that radial menu. There needs to be an option to tap L1 to bring it up, and again to dismiss it. Holding the bumper down while also navigating through several interior menus is obnoxious, especially when you accidentally let go too soon.

It also NEEDS to have a directional lock built into the menu. If I flick my thumb stick up, the top option on the radial menu should stay highlighted. There is absolutely no reason for me to stumble forward another step or two every single time I want to equip my charcoal. This is sloppy, and has put me in danger of walking off cliffs several times (luckily, I usually remember to position myself with room for those awkward radial-stumbles).

Personally, I find the entire radial menu so unusable that I have only ever touched it to get out charcoal, and even that I think might be better handled from within the clunky inventory.

I don't remember ever having so many complaints about previous UIs, though I never played on controller before, either. I wonder how bad this all is for mouse/keyboard users?

12 minutes ago, WanderingPalm said:

Oh, while we're at it, let's talk about that radial menu. There needs to be an option to tap L1 to bring it up, and again to dismiss it. Holding the bumper down while also navigating through several interior menus is obnoxious, especially when you accidentally let go too soon.

It also NEEDS to have a directional lock built into the menu. If I flick my thumb stick up, the top option on the radial menu should stay highlighted. There is absolutely no reason for me to stumble forward another step or two every single time I want to equip my charcoal. This is sloppy, and has put me in danger of walking off cliffs several times (luckily, I usually remember to position myself with room for those awkward radial-stumbles).

Personally, I find the entire radial menu so unusable that I have only ever touched it to get out charcoal, and even that I think might be better handled from within the clunky inventory.

I don't remember ever having so many complaints about previous UIs, though I never played on controller before, either. I wonder how bad this all is for mouse/keyboard users?

Well they have to hold down space bar....lol.

I VERY rarely use the radial menu. I use it for bandages/antiseptic and to sleep in cars....that's it. I would probably use it to build a snow shelter, but I simply haven't built one yet.

It's much easier for me to use the D-pad for bait and lighting fires.

I don't like the radial menu for the same reasons you described. I fail to use it more than I succeed in using for the reasons you described....

On 8/20/2017 at 7:54 AM, WanderingPalm said:

I don't know how to do that fancy separation of quotes from a single post, so I'll just write it all at once.

On 8/22/2017 at 9:05 AM, ArcherAC3 said:

Haha, you just click on "Quote" and then delete all the text you're not replying to. Afterwards, just click on Quote again and repeat  (not sure if there's an easier way xD)

There is an easier way... Just select/highlight the portion of text you want to quote and (usually) you'll see a little pop-up tag at one end saying "Quote this". Click on it and voila.. it's quoted. Repeat as many times as desired. If you position the text cursor first, you can even choose where it appears in your reply.

I say "usually", because the pop-up can be a bit finicky now and then, and take a couple of attempts before it appears. Example follows:

Untitled.jpg.5b9920b8466b9384219c38dd1c96c0ae.jpg

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

There is an easier way... Just select/highlight the portion of text you want to quote and (usually) you'll see a little pop-up tag at one end saying "Quote this". Click on it and voila.. it's quoted. Repeat as many times as desired. If you position the text cursor first, you can even choose where it appears in your reply.

I say "usually", because the pop-up can be a bit finicky now and then, and take a couple of attempts before it appears. Example follows:

Untitled.jpg.5b9920b8466b9384219c38dd1c96c0ae.jpg

Oh, cool thanks! I'll have to see how well it works on mobile, though, since I tend to reply more often from there. It's probably a bit more hit-or-miss, sadly.

@ArcherAC3 

1- You do not always have to click and hold, this can be adjustable under settings. 

2- Always annoys me when people complain about the radial. I never understood why some people want to go back to the days of excessive text everywhere with no images, just a simple list of words. The new clothing system is excellent in that regard. 

57 minutes ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

@ArcherAC3 

2- Always annoys me when people complain about the radial. I never understood why some people want to go back to the days of excessive text everywhere with no images, just a simple list of words. The new clothing system is excellent in that regard. 

Ummmm....no one said that, m8. Who said we wanted the inventory system from when the game started? We like the pictures of items. I want more info on my HUD.

And the other dude explained he wants the radial to stay open when he presses the button, instead of it being a press and hold. (That could be fixed with using a controller and the Steam controller configuration thing I believe though)

No one said they wanted the inventory to go back to list form...

4 hours ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

@ArcherAC3

1- You do not always have to click and hold, this can be adjustable under settings. 

I know, I stated that in my last comment. Again, it doesn't apply to everything (such as the radial), neither does it revert to the old searching system, as I was hoping it did. The circle in the middle of the screen still has to fill up the same way.

2- Always annoys me when people complain about the radial. [...]

I did not complain about the radial. I complained about the radial not staying open with a single click (as a toggle mode instead of a hold mode - this is one of the things that doesn't change even if you activate the hold mechanic on the settings).

I like the radial, it's very useful.

[...] I never understood why some people want to go back to the days of excessive text everywhere with no images, just a simple list of words. The new clothing system is excellent in that regard. 

Do people want to go back to the "days of excessive text everywhere with no images"? Who said that? The inventory icons are cool enough for me. I don't believe the old status UI (without the icons, but the bars) were excessive text as well.

As for the clothing system, it works, although not perfect. I do like the new clothes details, but it's kind of weird how you can't equip items directly.

On 8/15/2017 at 3:28 AM, Mixxut said:

At first I hated the new UI, but now i think it's more realistic. It's not like your character has a clock in his head....

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to chime in, because I agree with the OP 1001%.  In the beginning of this game, we actually had a real clock that told us what time it was. I was pissed when they removed that for the x number of daylight/darkness remaining. Now we just have the stupid sun/moon thing. No self respecting pilot worth a cup of cold coffee would ever not have a watch on. And there is no reason to think that a wind-up timex watch wouldnt work because of the Aurora. I HATE the new journal interface, the old one was so much more rustic, and immersive.  I hate the hold the button bull malarkey. I do not like having to click into a tertiary screen to see the actual numbers of my stats.  The OP is absolutely spot on that the new ui is three steps backwards.  And finally, to address the person I've quoted, you're wrong. Anyone who spends a significant amount of time outdoors does indeed have a clock in their head. I don't know if you were being sarcastic with that? Seriously? Most people with any amount of situational awareness AT ALL have an extremely accurate mental clock. 

8 hours ago, TROY said:

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to chime in, because I agree with the OP 1001%.  In the beginning of this game, we actually had a real clock that told us what time it was. I was pissed when they removed that for the x number of daylight/darkness remaining. Now we just have the stupid sun/moon thing. No self respecting pilot worth a cup of cold coffee would ever not have a watch on. And there is no reason to think that a wind-up timex watch wouldnt work because of the Aurora. I HATE the new journal interface, the old one was so much more rustic, and immersive.  I hate the hold the button bull malarkey. I do not like having to click into a tertiary screen to see the actual numbers of my stats.  The OP is absolutely spot on that the new ui is three steps backwards.  And finally, to address the person I've quoted, you're wrong. Anyone who spends a significant amount of time outdoors does indeed have a clock in their head. I don't know if you were being sarcastic with that? Seriously? Most people with any amount of situational awareness AT ALL have an extremely accurate mental clock. 

People are still complaining about this? It's in the game now and deal with :\

It's can't be that bad...

26 minutes ago, Mixxut said:

It's so horrible that you can't play? Just because you don't see the text "hungry, parched etc" and can't see the time in hours it's horrible? Got it.

I can still play, it's just many people myself included, prefer a more informative HUD. I'd love to know the feels like temp without having to scroll through a menu. The icons for the needs of the avatar are crappy. The very bottom and top are impossible to go by, as you can't see when you are full or empty. Every person is allowed to have their own opinion. You like a minimalist HUD....good for you m8! I don't, and neither do others.

Having an option to toggle the minimalist HUD would serve BOTH groups, why are you taking it so personally that we would like a option? I don't have a right to my personal preference? 

6 hours ago, Thrasador said:

I can still play, it's just many people myself included, prefer a more informative HUD. I'd love to know the feels like temp without having to scroll through a menu. The icons for the needs of the avatar are crappy. The very bottom and top are impossible to go by, as you can't see when you are full or empty. Every person is allowed to have their own opinion. You like a minimalist HUD....good for you m8! I don't, and neither do others.

Having an option to toggle the minimalist HUD would serve BOTH groups, why are you taking it so personally that we would like a option? I don't have a right to my personal preference? 

Haha, no offence, I was just curious. I would not use the old hud if you could get it back, but some people would. That's fine in my books. I was just wondering that people get so upset about the hud :D

On 25/08/2017 at 9:41 AM, Thrasador said:

At least on consoles, there used to be a HUD option on the settings where you could choose from "Full", "Minimallistic" and "Off" HUD modes. Now, only the first and the latter are available to choose from.

I thought that maybe we would be able to change the HUD style by using this option, but they managed to make it even simpler, forbidding players from choosing what they like.

I just wanted the old search mechanic/overall interaction system back...

Archived