You know you've played a lot of The Long Dark when...

Mel Guille

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/3/2017 at 3:08 PM, stapeliad said:

When you AND your child refer to certain groceries as Pinnacle Peaches, Coho Salmon, and Salty Crackers as a matter of course.

We also walk down the street saying things like "My fingers are numb" and other character quotes.

Funny, when it in public with my mom once, I tripped on a small incline and went "OW. That smarts a bit.." 

On 8/12/2017 at 10:40 AM, Mike in GA said:

……when you walk out your door and hear dogs barking close by and you start frantically looking for the wolf that's about to jump you……then have to calm yourself down and lower your heart rate before you pass out

……when eating a protein bar imagining my hunger icon filling up, but my thrist icon going down  

Ah, but I believe Energy Bars do not lower your thirst ;) I sometimes imagine the same thing though! 

On 8/14/2017 at 6:26 AM, IrenaAstarosa said:

...when you have to sit under a blanket while playing because you sympathize with the character.

...when you dream about picking up twigs and checking your condition meters.

...when you go for a walk with your husband and point to crows: "Look, there is a deer carcass nearby!"

I've had dreams about shooting wolves one after the other with my rifle, haha

On 7/23/2017 at 9:00 PM, jonque007 said:

Lol yes! Or when the character says " this pack is getting kind of heavy, I may need to drop something. " You reply " You can start by dropping that attitude! "

LOL I HAVE ACTUALLY SAID THIS TO HIM BEFORE. "Yeah, you need to drop that attitude, honey.." 

1 hour ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

This morning my mom came in to wake me up, and jokingly said "Look, there's a bear outside your window!" Good god. I had just been playing The Hunted the night before.

:D

Just like me, your mother has an evil sense of humour...

On 7/15/2017 at 4:41 PM, Thrasador said:

You light a storm lantern to use the bathroom in the middle of the night because you know without it, you will never find your way back to your bed in the dark. You'll end up standing in the bathroom until sunrise....

Something game devs might start considering is what could be called Deadpool vision, but it is more what is shown what you remember and can feel with your hands and feet in the dark.  It would become an interesting game mechanic in TLD and other games, too.  Maybe just require a second mouse for your other hand to feel around.

Addendum for on topic:

I've been feeling a lot more happy having a manual can opener in real life since playing TLD.  Makes me feel a bit like a survivor.

15 minutes ago, Samsonguy920 said:

Something game devs might start considering is what could be called Deadpool vision, but it is more what is shown what you remember and can feel with your hands and feet in the dark.  It would become an interesting game mechanic in TLD and other games, too.  Maybe just require a second mouse for your other hand to feel around.

Addendum for on topic:

I've been feeling a lot more happy having a manual can opener in real life since playing TLD.  Makes me feel a bit like a survivor.

Or they could just increase the ambient light slightly inside houses at night so you can at least see shapes in the dark....

My solution is to turn the brightness up all they way. Which sucks because you can only do it from the initial game menu, and it makes the snow "blindingly white" to the point you can't see sticks in bright daylight right in front of you....

Ha, I also have a tendency to talk back to my character. 'I need to lay down.' 'This pack is getting heavy.' 'I'm so cold' . 'Oh shut up, you're almost back home!' It's even stranger since English isn't even my native language.

And the crows, yeah I definitely look up and around if I hear crows these days. It's really become an instinct.

1 hour ago, Hackfleisch said:

Ha, I also have a tendency to talk back to my character. 'I need to lay down.' 'This pack is getting heavy.' 'I'm so cold' . 'Oh shut up, you're almost back home!' It's even stranger since English isn't even my native language.

And the crows, yeah I definitely look up and around if I hear crows these days. It's really become an instinct.

The one I yell at is the carrying too much one....since I am a tragic hoarder of stuff in the game Will is ALWAYS overburdened and all he does is bitch and moan about it....every single thing I pick up....

"I don't think I can carry anymore!"

"Shut up Will, and do what I tell you to do!"

"This pack is getting heavy...."

"IT'S ALWAYS HEAVY! GET USED TO IT, OR GET STRONGER!!!"

"I need to put down some of this stuff..."

"YOU'LL PUT IT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DEAD, WILL!!!!"

12 minutes ago, Hackfleisch said:

LOL! I always take care not to be too overburdened because I thought it's easier to break or sprain something that way when climbing hills. If that turns out not to be true, well....I'm sorry Will, prepare to become Atlas.

No, you are right....you CAN get more sprains....which sucks, but you are already walking slow and can't run over 40 kilos anyway. A couple hours of sleep fixes sprains....and there are a TON of rosehips in the Story....

I just can't leave stuff behind, I have hoarding OCD....I made a thread about it.

On the second page I linked pics of my Inventory that I carried into Episode 2....check out the two medical tab pics....and the last pic for the crafting tab....where all my "unprepared" plants are....

Archived