Forest map (with tree huts/houses)

L4NGD0N

Please add a new map!!! 

'Forest'

I have lived in every settlement on all maps and was thinking we havent really got a dense forest map maybe with a few small tree houses (see pic) that you could access from either a rope or ladder. Obviously there could be more to it than just trees either a small lake or even a small castle like this one we have in Wales (UK) where I live. (See pic)

'Log storage'

would love an option to either find or craft a wood storage which you could stock pile your logs (see pic)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I like the idea of a deep thick forest. 

Not many castles in Canada.  Also, actual 'tree houses' aren't very common, especially out in the thick woods.  But I think you are on the right track. i'd suggest going with 3 different 'types' of deer stand.

True stand. - just a spot to stand/sit.  Use would be you'd climb up and find stuff.  Maybe use it to escape wolf, possibly even actually hunting off of it.

Partially enclosed stand.  Has some walls to break the wind.  Pretty much the same as the ones you find in ML now, except up higher so you'd have to climb.  Some might have a small burning barrel or a sheet of metal laid down that you could build a fire in, but just like the current ones, some not.

Enclosed stand. Fully closes out wind from any direction. has a spot to light a fire and enough room to lay the sleeping bag down.  Basically a forest version of the ice fishing huts as far as size, but I'd treat them as fully indoors. as in, you could cure hides there.

deer-stand.jpg

deer-hunting-tree-stand-006-jpg.37079

tree_stand_P5113527.JPG

buckmt8-06p2087.jpg

Condo-stand-2-660x494.jpg

ows_14224135723606.jpg

Yes kind of what i had in mind. Thanks for your reply... I was thinking maybe a higher one over looking parts of the forest and definitely some enclosed ones you could spend time in whilst theres a blizzard outside with space to settle in with a fire :)

+1 for "Deep Forest update #2" !

Sadly, only maps being made rn are for story mode.

I hunt in December in Iowa and we use a lot of traditional tree stands (but most of the time your sitting at the base of a tree), its Very cold up there with no windblock!

Itd be like Timberwolf mountain in difficulty and scarcity of resources. And you might see wolverines!

I like the castle idea but none really in canada. However, we could find another stone hut like the church in DP

. Id also like to see a new tree type or two. And fallen birches.

I have found that in thickly wooded areas it is easy to get turned around.  So a map that is made up mostly of woods would be quite challenging.  It would also necessitate special paths and landmarks...things like frozen streams,  valleys with the only bridges across being fallen tree trunks at certain points, etc.  this would give it a lot of character IMHO.

Think about how to express the opposite.  A generic map with lots of trees in just a few spots, and fewer trees in other spots, and hardly any trees in some more spots...just like all the other maps.  HOW BORING!

26 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Why would i want to know where im am if there is nothing there ?

Im sorry but you may be missing the point. I respect your opinion and your reasons are valid, however:

Its supposed to be a minimalistic map with little in the way of manmade things, building off of the dev's Timberwolf Mountain. You survive there with almost exclusively what you can provide for yourself. 

If you dont like the idea, youre not obligated to continue the discussion by shooting everything we say down with sharp comments.

Please Just have your say and feel free to move on to another topic. Thank you. 

To the moderators: If im backseat moderating or fueling the fire i will take responsibility of my actions and leave myself from the forums for a while if need be. Just pm me and i will.

Interesting proposal, such a map would certainly be challenging to play on to say the leas. However, it would need some unique features like the other maps habe - both to make orienteering possible and to not make it feel bland. Rivers or creeks are always a nice addition, sprinkle in a few abandoned hunting stands, a firewatch tower maybe, some caves and you're on a good path. Resources would be difficult though - while ammunition, saplings etc. would probably be abundant, a lot of man-made stuff would be pretty scarce I guess. Finding a hunting knife and hatchet would be imperative to survival early on.

16 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Interesting proposal, such a map would certainly be challenging to play on to say the leas. However, it would need some unique features like the other maps habe - both to make orienteering possible and to not make it feel bland. Rivers or creeks are always a nice addition, sprinkle in a few abandoned hunting stands, a firewatch tower maybe, some caves and you're on a good path. Resources would be difficult though - while ammunition, saplings etc. would probably be abundant, a lot of man-made stuff would be pretty scarce I guess. Finding a hunting knife and hatchet would be imperative to survival early on.

Good ideas, i forgot about the fire watch towers, i suppose finding hunting knives in the deerstand may be pretty high chance to allow players a good start.

2 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

Good ideas, i forgot about the fire watch towers, i suppose finding hunting knives in the deerstand may be pretty high chance to allow players a good start.

Yep, that's a good location. Oh, and we'd need a workbench somewhere. Maybe in one those firewatch towers?

Oh, and I just figured - cloth would actually be scarce there, because where would it be? Finally a good way to discourage wolf-melee :D 

A deep forest map would have an enormous amount of potential. I would suggest something comparable in size to pleasant valley.
Advantages would be:

• Plentiful wood and sticks, meaning ease of fuel harvesting
  • abundant plants, including old mans beard lichen, reishi mushrooms, rosehips and cattails (along narrow waterways, similar to the frozen creek in Mystery Lake)
  • reasonably large herds of deer, as well as a possible spawn point for the moose
  • shelter from blizzards, as trees act as a natural windbreak, so windchill would be diminished inside of a forest

Disadvantages would be:

• Difficulty spotting predators from a distance - Bears and wolves would be hidden by the trees until they are almost on top of you
  • Very few manmade structures, indoor shelters or similar. Great for those who want to get the "beneath a starry sky achievement", but hellish for those who are unprepared
  • No access to fishing grounds, so a principle supply of food is cut off, as most small creeks and streams are too shallow to have a flow beneath the ice.
  • Very little cloth, scrap metal or other repair materials beyond natural supplies

Potential locations could be:

• Lumber camp
  • Forest Ranger outpost
  • picnic areas (overrun with bears)
  • sheltered hollows (dave's quiet clearing kinda thing)
  • multiple caves (including the sort of cave formed by woodland debris falling over a depression, creating a soil roof,)

This is a great idea and has a lot of potential.

A suggestion to be able to orientate in the area is to be able to add marks to trees (requires knife/hatchet/saw), or maybe being able to tie pieces of clothes to branches? (Not sure of what works best in these situations as I never had to find my way in a forest.)

2 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Im sorry but you may be missing the point. I respect your opinion and your reasons are valid, however:

Its supposed to be a minimalistic map with little in the way of manmade things, building off of the dev's Timberwolf Mountain. You survive there with almost exclusively what you can provide for yourself. 

If you dont like the idea, youre not obligated to continue the discussion by shooting everything we say down with sharp comments.

Please Just have your say and feel free to move on to another topic. Thank you. 

To the moderators: If im backseat moderating or fueling the fire i will take responsibility of my actions and leave myself from the forums for a while if need be. Just pm me and i will.

I think we are both missing each-other points. 8)

My main issue is that idea of the map has nothing unique or even worth mentioning in it. Especially with whole nature approach, if we eliminate hunting stands as manmade objects, we get just a map full of trees.

TwM, while largely free of man intervention, has rather clear goal, unique landscape and central idea of being site for a plane crash. It has a story, a purpose to play it.

Map proposed in this tread has... trees, a lot of trees. Even in its unvisited state it has less poi that any other map looted clean.

Why people would want to come to this place ? All maps have trees, deer, rabbit, caves. What would make this map being worth visiting ?

3 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Why would i want to know where im am if there is nothing there ?

Okay, for those literalists.  The map would not only have trees and tree stands.  It would have areas with rabbits, and deer, and valleys, and frozen streams, and axes and knives and canned goods and arrows and saplings and on and on.  These would be in proportion that matched the woodland and would therefore be different than other areas.  Also, it would in general have very few areas that were clear of trees, unless you were on a high peak (with trees) you'd not be able to see terribly far to pick out landmarks.

You would want to know where you are so that you can navigate to where you want to be....where you will go to gather resources specific or where you will go to access resources previously gathered

1 hour ago, EternityTide said:

A deep forest map would have an enormous amount of potential. I would suggest something comparable in size to pleasant valley.
Advantages would be:

• Plentiful wood and sticks, meaning ease of fuel harvesting
  • abundant plants, including old mans beard lichen, reishi mushrooms, rosehips and cattails (along narrow waterways, similar to the frozen creek in Mystery Lake)
  • reasonably large herds of deer, as well as a possible spawn point for the moose
  • shelter from blizzards, as trees act as a natural windbreak, so windchill would be diminished inside of a forest

Disadvantages would be:

• Difficulty spotting predators from a distance - Bears and wolves would be hidden by the trees until they are almost on top of you
  • Very few manmade structures, indoor shelters or similar. Great for those who want to get the "beneath a starry sky achievement", but hellish for those who are unprepared
  • No access to fishing grounds, so a principle supply of food is cut off, as most small creeks and streams are too shallow to have a flow beneath the ice.
  • Very little cloth, scrap metal or other repair materials beyond natural supplies

Potential locations could be:

• Lumber camp
  • Forest Ranger outpost
  • picnic areas (overrun with bears)
  • sheltered hollows (dave's quiet clearing kinda thing)
  • multiple caves (including the sort of cave formed by woodland debris falling over a depression, creating a soil roof,)

Spot on,  The map becomes unique and interesting as you flesh out the details to make it fit the concept.

I thought about a fire watch, and it would make sense, but also it's already been done.  

A short segment of road at the beginning leading to a parking area (and abandoned cars) some picnic tables, and a little 'national parks' type greeting cabin but this would be on the outskirts.

For the main map I envision the vast majority of man-made structures to be hunting stands, with at most 2 actual 'cabins' of trapper cabin size at most.

Not sure how much of a lumber camp there'd be, those aren't generally in the deep woods.

And yes, the proportion of resources would be different.  Absolutely more access to saplings, more broken arrows, more hunting knives less hatchets.  Regular wooden chairs, padded wooden chairs, stoves, etc would all be rare, just in the cabins probably.  You'd find very little clothing, but a fair amount of bed rolls in stands.  This would be good because with buildings less common and beds so rare, it would be more likely that at least some of the areas you'd be running your traplines and hunting out of would require sleeping in bedrolls.

40 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

I think we are both missing each-other points. 8)

My main issue is that idea of the map has nothing unique or even worth mentioning in it. Especially with whole nature approach, if we eliminate hunting stands as manmade objects, we get just a map full of trees.

TwM, while largely free of man intervention, has rather clear goal, unique landscape and central idea of being site for a plane crash. It has a story, a purpose to play it.

Map proposed in this tread has... trees, a lot of trees. Even in its unvisited state it has less poi that any other map looted clean.

Why people would want to come to this place ? All maps have trees, deer, rabbit, caves. What would make this map being worth visiting ?

Why would a map low on made-made structures not be worth visiting?  

First off it would be worth visiting because of the unique challenge a thick woods would bring...navigational difficulties, bumping into predators difficulties, and difficulties related to the different ratio of resources.  Second reason would be due to different ratio of resources, you'd go there to gather resources that are common there and rare other places.

I do enjoy when a 'story' is included in areas, but don't understand why this cannot happen in a place with few man-made structures.  To me the heavily wooded area with signs of hunting activity would be the BEST place to do some fun and unique stuff for stories.  Like the ONLY place where instead of rotting deer carcasses being found, you find a rotting BEAR carcass...with broken arrows littering the ground and a little ways away a corpse.

14 hours ago, akodo1 said:

Why would a map low on made-made structures not be worth visiting?  

First off it would be worth visiting because of the unique challenge a thick woods would bring...navigational difficulties, bumping into predators difficulties, and difficulties related to the different ratio of resources.  Second reason would be due to different ratio of resources, you'd go there to gather resources that are common there and rare other places.

I do enjoy when a 'story' is included in areas, but don't understand why this cannot happen in a place with few man-made structures.  To me the heavily wooded area with signs of hunting activity would be the BEST place to do some fun and unique stuff for stories.  Like the ONLY place where instead of rotting deer carcasses being found, you find a rotting BEAR carcass...with broken arrows littering the ground and a little ways away a corpse.

So far, from that description, ive seen "annoyance", rather than "unique challenge". And so far id say only interesting thing about this map is amount of stuff i can loot off it, topographically its boring.

What "unique and fun stuff for stories" ? You are full of generalization, but rather short on specifics. Bear carcass is not really at all that much. Its like Max Last Stand from ML - you just pass by it without giving a second thought.

I think this would also be the ideal place to introduce a new mechanic - briar.

Briar slows your walking pace right down, and damages your clothes as you travel through it. Sprinting is not possible, and attempting to do so will inflict lacerations. 

Briar effects all mobs except rabbits, which is excellent for slowing down wolves and bears - bears less so due to their physical strength. Rosehips would have a high chance of spawning in briar, in greater quantities than usual.

Additionally, perhaps the forest would be the location for an extended bunker complex, with two entrances, one being a concealed hatch, the other being a water outflow pipe sealed with metal bars, only accessible via a hacksaw. The bunker would contain various materials, as well as beds, food, water and firearms. Could well be an old NORAD facility, long defunct since the GME fried all the electronics.

I like the idea, it would present a unique challenge. Right now its pretty hard to get lost once you know all the maps, there are just so many landmarks. But in reality, 99% of western canada is heavily forested and it's pretty darn easy to get lost. My grandfather has hiked all over the western US and Canada and he says without a compass you can get turned around VERY easily. Several times he was going to head in what he thought was the right direction, only to check his compass and find it was exactly OPPOSITE of the way back to his pickup!! 

I think this area would be better as more of MASSIVE transition area, not a stand-alone map. Basically, not a place that you go there just to go there, but something you have to traverse. Maybe it'll have a rail line or an oil pipeline running through it, but it doesn't go where you need to. Small shelters are sprinkled around, maybe a hermit's cabin, complete with crazy old hermit! 

Sam

I kinda like the briar idea,

We have giant patches of rose bushes in iowa that took over, (they are an invasive species) they make up most of our underbrush now and they absolutely tear your clothes to shreds and make it really hard to hunt, especially since the deer just seem to ghost through them...

They also produce rose hips you can eat.

They apparently exist in Canada too. Not as badly here i hope.

Archived