Forest map (with tree huts/houses)

L4NGD0N

9 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

So far, from that description, ive seen "annoyance", rather than "unique challenge". And so far id say only interesting thing about this map is amount of stuff i can loot off it, topographically its boring.

What "unique and fun stuff for stories" ? You are full of generalization, but rather short on specifics. Bear carcass is not really at all that much. Its like Max Last Stand from ML - you just pass by it without giving a second thought.

Why is any hurdle a 'challenge' vs an 'annoyance'?  It's based on the individual and the exact details on how it is implemented.   Having to avoid wolves is an 'annoyance'  Not being able to craft because it is dark is an annoyance.  Having to fix your clothing because they wore out is an annoyance.  Fatiguing on a long climb is an annoyance.  Having to stop your plan to warm up because it's very cold out is an annoyance.  You list any challenge in the game and someone can throw the label 'annoyance' on it.

I am sorry, it's fairly clear to me that you took an early position in opposition and now as more details come out, you dig your heels in harder with irrelevant 'criticisms'.

33 minutes ago, akodo1 said:

I am sorry, it's fairly clear to me that you took an early position in opposition and now as more details come out, you dig your heels in harder with irrelevant 'criticisms'.

It's Dirmagnos, he finds any reason to complain about anything. Don't bother arguing with him, he's like a dog with a bone. He's always right, you're always wrong. Arguing with him is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead.

On 9/21/2016 at 0:53 PM, Wastelander said:

Interesting proposal, such a map would certainly be challenging to play on to say the leas. However, it would need some unique features like the other maps habe - both to make orienteering possible and to not make it feel bland. Rivers or creeks are always a nice addition, sprinkle in a few abandoned hunting stands, a firewatch tower maybe, some caves and you're on a good path. Resources would be difficult though - while ammunition, saplings etc. would probably be abundant, a lot of man-made stuff would be pretty scarce I guess. Finding a hunting knife and hatchet would be imperative to survival early on.

And it would need something special just to make you go there.  If it's just a tree filled death trap, no thanks.  But maybe all wildlife is more abundant, a pond or two where animals come to drink with a fishing hut and some tails, maybe a chance of 2 bunkers - maybe even with stoves - I love any new map.  Think OP may be on to something.

12 minutes ago, Thurman Merman said:

And it would need something special just to make you go there.  If it's just a tree filled death trap, no thanks.  But maybe all wildlife is more abundant, a pond or two where animals come to drink with a fishing hut and some tails, maybe a chance of 2 bunkers - maybe even with stoves - I love any new map.  Think OP may be on to something.

You're right, it needs some appeal beyond visuals and athmosphere. As I said before, some First Nations stuff to spice things up would be cool (maybe with findable arrowheads). More information here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_of_the_Pacific_Northwest_Coast . As for primary loot structures, I'd personally like something different than what we know - bunkers and ice fishing huts are always good, but I'd also like to see maybe some abandoned firewatch towers, radio towers, maybe a small path that leads through the woods to some kind of spot where kids used to party and get trunk below legal age, filled with soda cans, matches, maybe the odd rifle :D Also, maybe a moonshiners hut? 

As for the actual topic, I prefer Sam's (@Rusty_Old_F250) idea of making this sort of map a challenging transition zone. Both Pleasant Valley and Mystery Lake already have heavily forested areas so I don't see a map of only forest adding much to the game for players to do. If the map is instead used as a challenge (few shelters/easy to get lost in/few resources) than it should be small so as not to punish inexperienced players. Playing a very hard to traverse map with lots of twists and turns (especially at night or poor weather) makes for fun game play and an interesting experience. Playing a map the size of Pleasant Valley of mostly trees... wouldn't offer much more than Pleasant Valley already does. Especially if brambles, bunker complexes, etc. are added: you'd be making a very similar map.

For your second idea @L4NGD0N I've been requesting tree stands for a long time now. Hopefully they make it into the game one day ^_^

19 hours ago, akodo1 said:

Why is any hurdle a 'challenge' vs an 'annoyance'?  It's based on the individual and the exact details on how it is implemented.   Having to avoid wolves is an 'annoyance'  Not being able to craft because it is dark is an annoyance.  Having to fix your clothing because they wore out is an annoyance.  Fatiguing on a long climb is an annoyance.  Having to stop your plan to warm up because it's very cold out is an annoyance.  You list any challenge in the game and someone can throw the label 'annoyance' on it.

Main difference between annoyance and annoyance is that inability to craft in the dark or fixing clothes are justified. They are logical and serve to add to general depth of the game game. They fit into bigger picture.

This map is not tied to anything nor would it add anything new or exiting. It would be a thing on its own, and rather mediocre at that.

Im all for new map, but id prefer that it would be something more than just trees. Making maps takes time and effort and making something mediocre would be a waste of both. Every other map has one or several specific qualities that make it unique. But based on description that "forest" map has none.

If game would have map editor id say go for it, but since devs time is limited id prefer them working on something more than just mediocre.

17 hours ago, Wastelander said:

...maybe a small path that leads through the woods to some kind of spot where kids used to party and get trunk below legal age, filled with soda cans, matches, maybe the odd rifle :D

cabin-in-the-woods.jpg

Cabin in the woods. You can check in any time... but you can never leave ! 8)

2 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Main difference between annoyance and annoyance is that inability to craft in the dark or fixing clothes are justified. They are logical and serve to add to general depth of the game game. They fit into bigger picture.

This map is not tied to anything nor would it add anything new or exiting. It would be a thing on its own, and rather mediocre at that.

Im all for new map, but id prefer that it would be something more than just trees. Making maps takes time and effort and making something mediocre would be a waste of both. Every other map has one or several specific qualities that make it unique. But based on description that "forest" map has none.

you still haven't stated what the difference between a challenge and an annoyance is.  

Also, what justifies inability to craft or fix clothing in the dark?  We aren't talking pitch black after all.    An area that has many trees per square mile and few buildings per square mile also is logical.  And can fit in tnto the bigger picture.  All that is needed to make anything fit into a bigger picture is to craft it in such a way that it DOES fit into the bigger picture.

There were no statements about if the map was tied into anything or not.  So I don't see how that 'criticism' is relevant.   You also defined it as a mediocre thing.  What features does it lack that make it mediocre?  Surely greatness isn't directly linked to the proportions of man-made structure, otherwise the best place EVER for TLD would be a large city map.

No need to let the forum devolve into a shouting match. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and - if you disagree - you're entitled to ignore or block them. If you see something rude, inappropriate, or posts that are personal attacks please report them (rather than calling them out yourself) and a moderator will step in. Also please remember that not everyone's first language is English so some things may be getting lost in translation or misinterpreted.

I just had an idea because I'm in a creepy mood today (too many horror animes... sleep is for the weak)....

We're talking a thick forest, right? Not a rather thin forest like in the clearcut area in ML? Really thick, with coniferous trees?

I just remembered something from a few hikes I did with my gramps when I was a kid - those woods are dark since, like, half the sunlight is blocked. And who knows what furry, clawy things lurk in the dark....

(Remind me to never write horror :D

51 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

I just had an idea because I'm in a creepy mood today (too many horror animes... sleep is for the weak)....

We're talking a thick forest, right? Not a rather thin forest like in the clearcut area in ML? Really thick, with coniferous trees?

I just remembered something from a few hikes I did with my gramps when I was a kid - those woods are dark since, like, half the sunlight is blocked. And who knows what furry, clawy things lurk in the dark....

(Remind me to never write horror :D

Just watch Stranger Things, you don't need to write any

I figured the point of this map would not be for anything loot oriented or have anything special to it but rather just a challenge for experienced players much like TWM but without all those shipping crates and such. Itd have a very unique feel to different "haves" and "have nots"

And remember. This map is just a suggestion on the forums, as far as it goes, it just isnt important enough for very passionate debates.

30 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

this map would not be for anything loot oriented or have anything special to it but rather just a challenge for experienced players

While an admirable goal there still needs to be a reason for players to go to an area and designing for just a small segment of the game's player base is not a good idea. If a deep forest is a particularly hard traversal area between Desolation point and Timberwolf Mountain or Timberwolf Mountain and Mystery Lake than the justification for the inclusion of the map is a very challenging - but shorter - link between existing areas. A map that's just there to see how long you can last with no foraging opportunities or shelters can already be simulated quite well in the Ravine or Winding River.

Archived