Ravine Train Locomotive seems Out of Context

cekivi

So, this has been bugging me for a while but the Train Engine found crashed in the Ravine does not look at all realistic. It seems more like something you'd see in a rail yard to move boxcars around not something up in the mountains moving multicar freight trains. Mainly because there's no discernible engine. Now, within the context of the game I realize a full size modern diesel locomotive would probably not match the aesthetic Hinterlands is creating but the locomotive should look like a locomotive.

For reference, I'd suggest the following: tn_im-iom-diesel-loco.jpg

Now, again, I don't think this locomotive has ever operated in Canada but it looks similar in size to the locomotive in the game and at least it clearly has an engine. :winky:

Woah, very educational. When i first took the expedition down there i was hoping it was a steam engine for some crazy reason in my head thinking there was a forge down there with tons of coal. I was sure disappointed lol.

So im the one thats very far off when expecting what type of train is there. Haha

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

@TheRealNFK: Cool site! The locomotive you posted though is specifically listed as being used to move workers, not freight. From that same site I think something like this would be more appropriate.

That's what I'm saying. I don't think what's at the bottom of the ravine is a locomotive, but rather a worker transport. But it would be cool to find a locomotive in the sandbox one day, I'm all in favor!

Choo choo!

5 minutes ago, TheRealNFK said:

That's what I'm saying. I don't think what's at the bottom of the ravine is a locomotive, but rather a worker transport. But it would be cool to find a locomotive in the sandbox one day, I'm all in favor!

Choo choo!

Ah! That's what you meant. I've always assumed the... tram(?) in the ravine was supposed to be the locomotive since it's hauling a half dozen boxcars behind it. If it wasn't the locomotive and you can see the wreck of the derailed train then where did it go...? And what happened to the workers riding in it since there's only one corpse down there (presumably the engineer)...?

There be mysteries afoot! :durbear:

1 minute ago, cekivi said:

I've always assumed the... tram(?) in the ravine was supposed to be the locomotive since it's hauling a half dozen boxcars behind it. If it wasn't the locomotive and you can see the wreck of the derailed train then where did it go...? And what happened to the workers riding in it since there's only one corpse down there (presumably the engineer)...?

There be mysteries afoot! :durbear:

Cue the X-files music!

cp_gp38ac_3020believe.jpg.3ad85fc5a4cfc0

• 1 year later...

Good eye @cekivi. Would you say that maybe the "worker transport" was sent in response to the derailment at the damaged trestle bridge...or was being hauled like a caboose. Then the locomotive would have continued on down the line. Questions remain regarding the corpse, might be a railroad worker, or the off-duty engineer sleeping in the transport car during the derailment.

Cheers! :coffee:

20180812182045_1.jpg

On 8/14/2018 at 12:36 PM, MarrowStone said:

You have to understand that this was wayyyy before that map ever existed. But yes they added a train very similar to what @cekivi suggested. the second one.

Just because the map didn't exist, didn't mean the train wasn't still there.  My theory, loco hauling empty worker transport cars, something happened knocking some off the track, the loco continued onward to BRR.

3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Just because the map didn't exist, didn't mean the train wasn't still there

Yes. Im aware, I didnt mean to sound condescending towards them. We just didnt have broken railroad at the time and were guessing if itd ever make it in the game and where it might be. We got our answer when wintemute was released and the engine is quite similar to one of cekivi's guesses!

Archived