Large body of water for islands to travel by canoe or sail boat

Relent

I think that it would be really awesome if there was a part of the map in sandbox that one could find a canoe or sail boat and travel to different islands with anything from shelters to mansions on. It would also be interesting if we could have a aspen forest instead of all the pine trees but I dont know if that would fit well in the game setting.

3 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Unless player is experiences hikes/survivalist, who knows how to handle canoe, hes standing much higher chance of drowning rather than getting anywhere.

... How difficult do you think canoeing is? Because I think you might be operating under a misconception that it's more difficult than it is. 

2 hours ago, danicusrex said:

... How difficult do you think canoeing is? Because I think you might be operating under a misconception that it's more difficult than it is. 

@Dirmagnos is under the impression that everyone has the same amount of ability at canoeing as he has. Canoeing is a basic skill that most people are capable of after a few lessons. I went canoeing for the first time last year in France, and I had no issues, just keep your weight centred, and paddle with even, balanced strokes. Dirmagnos just likes putting people down, just take what he says with the appropriate amount of salt.

Canoes are in the aspirational road map. I think they are penciled in for some time after the Spring version of the sandbox - so that might mean you could use them on Mystery Lake and Coastal Highway.

Capsizing chance would be a good addition, especially on choppier water like the ocean - and given that we have a character skill system in place that will doubtless be refined and developed further in the time it takes to implement any type of useable boats, it could easily be applied to that I'd have thought.

The fact that you could fall in and drown is a good reason to include it, not a good reason to leave it out.

2 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

I know that unless you know what you are doing you are far more likely to keel over than to get anywhere.

...Have you ever been in a canoe? t actually takes some WORK to flip them, especially if you're alone and not counter-balancing a 2nd person, and even HARDER to flip if you have gear in the boat with you (say, a backpack full of supplies).  I highly doubt an unreliable craft where a single mistake can cause you to lose everything you've brought would have survived so long as a popular choice among so many different civilizations.

23 minutes ago, Pillock said:

Canoes are in the aspirational road map. I think they are penciled in for some time after the Spring version of the sandbox - so that might mean you could use them on Mystery Lake and Coastal Highway.

Capsizing chance would be a good addition, especially on choppier water like the ocean - and given that we have a character skill system in place that will doubtless be refined and developed further in the time it takes to implement any type of useable boats, it could easily be applied to that I'd have thought.

The fact that you could fall in and drown is a good reason to include it, not a good reason to leave it out.

I like the idea of gaining skills to improve your watercraft, as well as your woodcraft. Stability, power of paddle strokes, maneuverability, that sort of thing. 

Falling into the water and fighting to swim could be fun, as well. And for a real challenge, maybe a river with scattered whitewater rapids in it?  

23 hours ago, Relent said:

I think that it would be really awesome if there was a part of the map in sandbox that one could find a canoe or sail boat and travel to different islands with anything from shelters to mansions on. It would also be interesting if we could have a aspen forest instead of all the pine trees but I dont know if that would fit well in the game setting.

Welcome to the forums!

Personally, I think the strong winds would cause what @Dirmagnos has mentioned. Sailing is a craft that needs to be learned, and that's not a quick thing to do, unfortunately. (I'll always be a landlubber -_-)

"Like most things, canoes are perfectly safe if used in the manner in which they were designed. In actual fact, you have to work pretty hard to flip a canoe over because of its relatively flat bottom. Granted, if you stand up in a canoe, it is likely to turn over but then again, you're kind of asking for trouble if you do something like that."  -Marcia Adair

Again, what i was talking about is reference to inexperienced person. And yes, i did some paddling, first time i went solo i keeled over in like 5 minutes. And that in completely calm waters. Im rather novice at this and i wouldnt go anywhere near open waters with what i know.

Not to mention other dangers like underwater logs and currents for starters.

57 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Again, what i was talking about is reference to inexperienced person. And yes, i did some paddling, first time i went solo i keeled over in like 5 minutes. And that in completely calm waters. Im rather novice at this and i wouldnt go anywhere near open waters with what i know.

Not to mention other dangers like underwater logs and currents for starters.

It's alright to comment on something, but don't be so dismissive of other people's ideas, especially when you have no extensive knowledge and experience in the subject at hand.

This is one of a number of times I've caught you dismissing an idea when it seems that you don't actually have much experience in the topic it deals with. It's just not on.

Granted, I also comment on and critique ideas which are based on subjects that I don't initially have much experience with or knowledge of, however when such an idea piques my interest, I research the topic, ask people who have experienced such subjects, and THEN when I have enough information to make a judgement, I comment on it.

From what I have seen, I believe your methodology is somewhat less rigorous, appearing to be you voicing your immediate opinion, rather than weighing pros and cons against actual facts. I am the last person to tell you what to do, and you can ignore my advice if you wish, but before you click "submit reply" on your next post, think "will my comment bring something new to the discussion? Will it constructively criticise the matter at hand? Do I actually need to point out an issue, or has someone already done that?"

If the answer is "No" to any of those questions, either consider revising your post, or don't post at all. But that's just my €0.02.

Believe me, if you follow those general codes of conduct, you'll find people overall are less combative, and more readily accepting of your ideas. it would be nice one day to see a post that you have commented on and not think "Christ, what has he said now?"

Let's try to get back on topic... shall we? Realistic is just one approach for a game, not a mandatory rule to follow for every single feature. And I think this is wise, considering games are supposed to be fun to play. :) 

Canoes, no matter how easy or hard to use (we cannot know until we get them), are in the aspirational roadmap as @Pillock pointed out. This is one of the things that I'm really looking forward to, actually. Thinking outside of the rivers we already know, sailing around Bear Island as a way to speed up travels maybe? I like the Fjordos idea as well :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Canoeing isn't exactly difficult, so long as one keeps their weight low, in the center of the canoe, and takes measured strokes. It is when you start flailing around with the paddle that you have problems.

I can operate a canoe (usually sized for two people), by myself, with a headwind, and by far the most difficult thing is compensating for my own strokes. With two people paddling, you can compensate for each other, but with one, it can be difficult

+1 to a canoe - but a nice, flat, wide-beamed Canadian canoe as opposed to an Inuit kayak though, for the benefit of the inexperienced among us. It might work really well in a new transition zone, if such a thing were to appear, as well as a 'summer' version of Coastal Highway. Hand-lining in the fog... make-or-break crossings in blizzards... pods of Orcas..!

1 hour ago, Calico Jack said:

+1 to a canoe - but a nice, flat, wide-beamed Canadian canoe as opposed to an Inuit kayak though, for the benefit of the inexperienced among us. It might work really well in a new transition zone, if such a thing were to appear, as well as a 'summer' version of Coastal Highway. Hand-lining in the fog... make-or-break crossings in blizzards... pods of Orcas..!

Noice. I wanna see more First Nations stuff anyway, techniques of "primitive" peoples would enhance the "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine"-feeling of the game even more.

2 hours ago, Calico Jack said:

+1 for the standard voyageur type canoe, be it aluminium, fibreglass, or the spruce, covered with canvas kind.  Birchbark ones won't be something you find that often, and would be a bit of a challenge to craft imo.  A canoe rigged to sail might be an idea, but should be extremely rare, say 0,1% chance of finding in repairable condition, even less in good condition.

1024px-SailingCanoe.jpg

Canoes are coming unfortunately it will be long time before we can sail one (Long term Road map), or ride one since it does not use sail :).  However I am more excited about riding a horse.

Also in my school days Ecology 101 we had a school trip, they brought us at a large lake and our mission was riding canoes collecting water samples from each side of the lake to determine the PH Levels and for the first time I think I managed it fine. However it was a beautiful day not like in TLD -40 on a good day. I guess it would be difficult if you somehow turn over the canoe then you get hypothermia and drown but other than than it is not hard to pedal your way through a lake.

So I would give it +1 but it is already in the road map so it is a matter of time :) 

Archived