Deactivate NPCs in the Sandbox

Mystral21

Hello,

Everything is in the title.

According to the current roadmap we will have NPCs in the Sandbox in few moths.

I think that it can be cool to be able to deactivate the NPCs in the Sandbox before starting a new game in order to play on the new maps like we play currently : alone with the wild and the cold.

This kind of ties in with the idea of custom sandbox difficulty. For example...

Animals: passive -- realistic -- savage

Weather: light -- moderate -- disaster

Loot: lots -- some -- sparse

Small Buildings: all -- random -- burned

NPCs: on -- off

Aurora: on -- off

etc..

Greetings, fellow pilgrims, voyagers, stalkers!

While I tend to agree that the more options, the better, I think that one of the best traits of the game is precisely the lack of them -- at least concerning some of the gameplay's aspects. For example, giving the players the option to disable wildlife wouldn't make sense within the experience the game is trying to present. Additionally, survival is about surviving the ill-meant part of your equals as well.

Perhaps the game could make it a bit easier: Pilgrim difficulty could lessen the negative effects -- whatever they might be -- of having those pesky humans around, just like it does with wildlife.

2 hours ago, Hiemalis said:

I understand what you mean by how you enjoy the game's simplicity and difficulty. But its only one more thing to click when making a new sandox. And they could make up for it with worse weather. I dont want to go to pilgrim just to feel more alone. (Im a stalker player myself)

Most of those who support it are more concerned with how it will affect the "feel" of the game, not the difficulty. I personally am not thrilled with the prospect of not being alone in a frozen wilderness anymore. I want to be connected and focused to the wrath and blessings of nature and not be distracted from that awe by other humans. 

Im sure Henry David Thoreau would agree.

So i hope the devs could hear us out on this

On 7/13/2016 at 1:36 PM, miah999 said:

This kind of ties in with the idea of custom sandbox difficulty. For example...

Animals: passive -- realistic -- savage

Weather: light -- moderate -- disaster

Loot: lots -- some -- sparse

Small Buildings: all -- random -- burned

NPCs: on -- off

Aurora: on -- off

etc..

Why the aurora?

It's my understanding that the aurora is connected to the events forming the basis of Story Mode. Therefore it should not be toggle-able as it is essential to the game.

That said, being able to alter specific gameplay elements is an excellent idea, and forms the basis for many popular mods for Oblivion and Skyrim. I think this is best left to modders after Story Mode is finalized and released, and only after the developers have given the go-ahead to modders.

1 minute ago, hauteecolerider said:

It's my understanding that the aurora is connected to the events forming the basis of Story Mode. Therefore it should not be toggle-able as it is essential to the game.

That said, being able to alter specific gameplay elements is an excellent idea, and forms the basis for many popular mods for Oblivion and Skyrim. I think this is best left to modders after Story Mode is finalized and released, and only after the developers have given the go-ahead to modders.

my only fear is the new upcoming graphics will affect the performance, fingers crossed theres a low graphics mode!

I don't think that deactivating the NPCs should be modded.

I would prefer to be able to deactivate it (or not)  before starting a new sandbox.

I think that this functionality can add values to the game as it can change the user experience and add some replayability.

On 7/14/2016 at 8:27 AM, MarrowStone said:

I understand what you mean by how you enjoy the game's simplicity and difficulty. But its only one more thing to click when making a new sandox. And they could make up for it with worse weather. I dont want to go to pilgrim just to feel more alone. (Im a stalker player myself)

Most of those who support it are more concerned with how it will affect the "feel" of the game, not the difficulty. I personally am not thrilled with the prospect of not being alone in a frozen wilderness anymore. I want to be connected and focused to the wrath and blessings of nature and not be distracted from that awe by other humans. 

While I do agree about NPCs detaching us from the overwhelming feeling of loneliness (which I do value!), giving the players every possible option does not always equal to good game design. Do I want the option of disabling NPCs? Yes, I do. Do I think it's the best choice? I don't know, but I'm sure the developers are going to make the best choice, whatever that might be.

If NPCs are essential to the game's structure and experience the developers want to shape, I'm willing to accept it. As someone else mentioned (even though it isn't a perfect solution), I'm sure there'll be a few mods removing NPCs.

See, would it be reasonable if someone asked the devs the option to remove the hunger/thirst system so to just wander about and admire the landscape? Not in my opinion, *but* the game means different things for different people. The developers are the mediators for those different meanings, including their own.

5 hours ago, Hiemalis said:

giving the players every possible option does not always equal to good game design.

No not always, but in a sandbox its nice to have the option of a custom difficulty.  We're not suggesting that custom is the only way, there would still be pilgrim, voyager, and stalker, but custom also.

Adding more difficulty modes/options that are entirely optional (you never have to even open the custom settings screen if you don't want to) cannot harm the sandbox game in any way.  Ultimately, only the player can know what parameters they would enjoy best.

Perhaps custom could be an unlock? survive 40 days on stalker to unlock custom difficulty or some such.

On 7/14/2016 at 7:27 AM, MarrowStone said:

Perfectly said. This, all the way. 

4 hours ago, iSUGGESTthings said:

I know that I personally am looking forward to seeing what NPCs might bring to the table. But I also enjoy the experience of isolation as well. So I think an option to toggle them is a perfect solution to build a better sandbox.

+1  Hinterlands has delivered an amazing product, would like to see what the NPC's offer, how the interaction with them played out etc

But i also like the " its me against mother nature" aspect of the game. there is no one here to help, i got to think and plan accordingly.

So i wish/ hope they give us the ability to toggle them.

Archived