1000 Days in the Dam: An exercise in inventory control

Drifter Man

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Calico Jack said:

@Drifter Man - I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but your posts and writing style match the feel of the game incredibly well. They're a pleasure to read.

Actually, I don't think very highly of my writing style, I simply hope it is good enough to describe the facts. I'm very happy to learn that I can do more than just that.

17 hours ago, EternityTide said:

And on day 998, you die from food poisoning. Sod's law in action.

At this point, falling from the tree (or train car) above the ravine is the most likely way I can get killed. All it takes is not paying attention for a moment. But that, too, can happen on day 998...

Day 905 (806th day in the Dam)

Good_Morning.thumb.jpg.142507aec0659ea03

The risk of cabin fever appeared for the first time in my game. Since the latest update I've started making my living by deer hunting instead of snaring rabbits in order to increase my archery skills as quickly as possible. But deer hunting is very efficient - one deer gives over 3 days' worth of meat - and I started to spend less time outside, even though I also occupied myself by collecting firewood and killing the occasional wolf that appeared at the Dam. A night spent in a cave in the Ravine eliminated the threat of cabin fever for now. I keep my caves supplied as a precaution.

Having woken up in the cave in the morning, I killed a deer, harvested it and returned to the Dam. When crafting a replacement for a broken arrow, I noticed that crafting arrows also increases archery skills (I assume that crafting bows has the same effect). I am going to use this to my advantage and craft a few extra pieces I do not immediately need.

Weather hold stable, so far there has been no discernible deterioration of weather conditions. In fact I have the feeling that weather has actually improved when compared to the initial days after the update. Morning temperatures remain above -30°C and blizzards are uncommon.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, caves now have a +13°C bonus, i.e. they are warmer than before.

1 hour ago, Berniyh said:

Is the 13°C bonus in caves with additional bonus? The one I've been in (the one at lake overlook) in the latest version gave me a bonus of +10°C.

I checked again and both caves in the Ravine give me +13°C in air temperature. Possible explanations: 1) difficulty level, mine is Voyageur 2) different caves give different bonus.

On 2016-10-01 at 11:55 AM, Drifter Man said:

I haven't set my foot in there yet (only briefly in my old Pilgrim game). And I've never been to TWM, ever. I want to leave something for later to explore :)

Fair enough. Only 95 days to go then. They're both really beautiful maps :)

On 03/10/2016 at 9:00 PM, Drifter Man said:

I checked again and both caves in the Ravine give me +13°C in air temperature. Possible explanations: 1) difficulty level, mine is Voyageur 2) different caves give different bonus.

I'm on Voyager as well. But it could be that different caves give a different bonus. I'll be close to Ravine soon and will check then.

Thanks everyone for your support! I'm always happy when I see people coming back to this thread.

@TheRealNFK, @alone sniper - those "1000 days" are not actually a challenge of surviving in some inhospitable place. At the start, I thought that the main challenge of this game is to survive for long. I did not realize that the game becomes very easy as soon as the first 50-100 days are over. I chose the Dam as the most suitable (rather than the most difficult) place to survive in in the long run, expecting that eventually I will be forced out of the Dam once I cannot repair my bedrolls any more. I still think that the Dam is one of the safest places in this world.

As time progressed and updates made this game easier, I realized that I can keep repairing my bedroll almost indefinitely and that it will take thousands of days before some of the more important items begin to run out. This killed the challenge, more or less, but somehow I expect that it will return with some future update, and so I carry on with my run.

So, after I reach 1000 days, I plan to continue with this run. When I die or get tired of it, I will probably start another one at a higher difficulty, but I don't know if I want to start something of this kind again.

On 10/15/2016 at 3:00 PM, cekivi said:

That's what the archery targets are intended for :winky:

I thought they were just to prove how incompetent you were... er, I mean practice until you can actually hit something smaller than the broadside fo a barn.  :silly:

• 2 weeks later...

Day 929 (830th day in the Dam)

I took out two of my three precious cured bear skins and crafted a bedroll. I repaired all my clothes, including the toque, scarf and socks, which I don't normally wear. I accumulated 30.000 Cal worth of meat, all cooked and ready to eat. I refueled my storm lantern.

I'm ready for the first day of night!

Archived