1000 Days in the Dam: An exercise in inventory control

Drifter Man

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/10/2016 at 9:52 PM, hauteecolerider said:

I don't care what others think! I just think it's a glorious place to die, surrounded by mountains and with a waterfall . . .

:big_smile:

I've played over 500 hours of TLD, and many, many Sandbox attempts. I can't think of a single time when I've actually crossed that bridge. It gives me the willies just looking at it, and the few times I can remember venturing out that way I've always bottled it and turned around and gone back.

The log walk by the overturned rail trucks is bad enough, and though I tolerate the Dam-edge to get from Winding River back into the Dam itself, I really, really don't like doing it.

7 hours ago, Pillock said:

I've played over 500 hours of TLD, and many, many Sandbox attempts. I can't think of a single time when I've actually crossed that bridge. It gives me the willies just looking at it, and the few times I can remember venturing out that way I've always bottled it and turned around and gone back. it.

The very first time I walked that bridge, it was fine until I got to the broken rail. Then it started creaking and groaning. LOUDLY. I jumped in my seat and nearly ran back! Honestly, I though the damn thing was going to collapse on me!

Then I realized that if it did, I would have no access to CH from ML. 

Sometimes fiction (stories and games) is an awesome thing. 

1 hour ago, hauteecolerider said:

I though the damn thing was going to collapse on me!

Sure you do. You just have to go via Winding River and the caves and Pleasant valley and the mine connector and crumbling highway. Only takes a couple of days! Easy.

(Better that than balancing along a 3-inch-wide bit of iced-up metal above a 200 foot drop, anyway.)

Hm interesting. Never had an issue with that one. Just go for it and end up at the other side. ;)

Would be more wicked if the wind would actually blow you in a certain direction, but other than that, piece of cake …

7 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

The very first time I walked that bridge, it was fine until I got to the broken rail. Then it started creaking and groaning. LOUDLY. I jumped in my seat and nearly ran back! Honestly, I though the damn thing was going to collapse on me!

Sometimes fiction (stories and games) is an awesome thing. 

My first death in the Long Dark was actually due to the bridge. I clipped through the ties at the beginning of the bridge and fell onto the rocks below. I've been terrified of the same thing happening ever since :side-eye:

On 7/10/2016 at 7:44 AM, JAFO said:

Might want to do it naked.. otherwise the cost in torn-up clothing might get expensive.. ;)

First couple times across I clipped through in a few places - none in the place you'd expect.  It was frustrating to have to restart so many times.  I avoid the thing on general principals. :) 

After I had a go at hunting with the survival bow, I have to pay respect to @Drifter Man.

No idea how you managed to live off dears with only so few arrows at hand. I degraded 3 of mine by about 20-30% for just one(!) deer. :S

Ok, next time it might work out better, but still, this is quite hard.

Day 836 (738th day in the Dam)

The first wolf-wrestling test did not go well. I ended up at 36% with multiple wounds and the wolf left the stage victorious. Fortunately, I arranged the fight so that it would take place at my doorstep, and I slipped right in and started to lick my wounds. I guess I'll have to make my timing with the knife better next time. I was naked, so there was no damage to clothes, but my very own hide took all the more beating.

At carcass harvesting level 4 you have the option to harvest 75% frozen carcasses with bare hands. I thought there would be a special option for that, less efficient than using bare hands on a fresh carcass. Instead, the carcasses are now simply considered "fresh" until they reach 75%, and it affects all your tools indiscriminately. This leads to a paradoxical situation that harvesting a 60% frozen carcass with a hatchet or hacksaw takes longer at level 4 than at level 3.

carcass4.thumb.jpg.b73f42931e23d289179b6

32 minutes ago, Berniyh said:

After I had a go at hunting with the survival bow, I have to pay respect to @Drifter Man.

No idea how you managed to live off dears with only so few arrows at hand. I degraded 3 of mine by about 20-30% for just one(!) deer. :S

Ok, next time it might work out better, but still, this is quite hard.

Thanks, but in this case I feel the respect is somewhat undeserved. I developed a simple and reliable tactic that requires little skill (just some patience). I described it here and it still works as of v.349:

I admire players who can hit a moving target at large distances. I've seen some incredible videos... compared to them, this is nothing.

Day 840 (742nd day in the Dam)

The second wolf fight went much better, I ended up in 53% condition but otherwise unharmed. For the wolf, the result was 0% condition minus one wolfskin coat. I'm relying on the reports here that no single wolf can kill you if you start in 100% condition. I really hope they are true. This time again, I failed to pick the right moment to get the wolf before the struggle takes place.

wolf2.thumb.jpg.76b291f3af59b69c1b063399

Based on the rumors that too many campfires can cause a given region to become non-navigable due to frequent game crashes, I've moved my cooking to the Ravine until the problem is clarified and fixed. I've started fewer campfires in the Ravine and hopefully have some margin there, while Mystery Lake already shows significant lags upon entering. As I said once before - alpha wolf or alpha bug, they both can cut your life short.

21 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Day 840 (742nd day in the Dam)

Based on the rumors that too many campfires can cause a given region to become non-navigable due to frequent game crashes, I've moved my cooking to the Ravine until the problem is clarified and fixed. I've started fewer campfires in the Ravine and hopefully have some margin there, while Mystery Lake already shows significant lags upon entering. As I said once before - alpha wolf or alpha bug, they both can cut your life short.

After 840 days that would be especially tragic! :big_smile:

2 hours ago, Berniyh said:

Why don't you just use the fire barrel in the dam? Because of the magnifying lens?

Yes - I wanted to save my matches, so I kept starting fires at the front door and then brought it inside to the barrel. This way I generated dozens of campfires at the entrance. But the truth is that I have about 500 matches and spend none at all. If I used the barrel alone, I could keep match consumption at ca 15 per 100 days, or even less. I could definitely survive until the bug is removed :) Thanks for the tip - in fact I didn't think about it.

3 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Yes - I wanted to save my matches, so I kept starting fires at the front door and then brought it inside to the barrel. This way I generated dozens of campfires at the entrance. But the truth is that I have about 500 matches and spend none at all. If I used the barrel alone, I could keep match consumption at ca 15 per 100 days, or even less. I could definitely survive until the bug is removed :) Thanks for the tip - in fact I didn't think about it.

Last time I checked, you could light fires at the stoves inside fishing huts with the magnifying glass. That would save both on matches and on campfire build-up. But it is probably too much of a trek from there to carry a brand to the dam, so you'd have to do all your cooking and water-boiling on the lake.

Doable, if not desirable, perhaps.

EDIT: there's also the outdoor stove at the logging camp, of course, which might be nearer than the lake. But it is a bit... wolf-y.

On 7/25/2016 at 1:24 AM, Pillock said:

Last time I checked, you could light fires at the stoves inside fishing huts with the magnifying glass. That would save both on matches and on campfire build-up. But it is probably too much of a trek from there to carry a brand to the dam, so you'd have to do all your cooking and water-boiling on the lake.

Doable, if not desirable, perhaps.

EDIT: there's also the outdoor stove at the logging camp, of course, which might be nearer than the lake. But it is a bit... wolf-y.

I'll cook indoors at the barrel downstairs until the problem is fixed... I think that walking to some other place in order to cook (and nothing else) is not worth it.

Day 845 (747th day in the Dam)

The second visit to the Winding River since v.349 confirmed that no more coal (or even sticks) turns up in the Cave System. This means I don't have any reason to come here anymore. I'm waving goodbye to the Winding River, at least for now.

wr.thumb.jpg.0cf5e8e612f5c4cc8a379d7602b

I used a few foggy days on which I had nothing to do to repeat the series walking tests - to see if there have been any changes to the mechanics of walking. Compared to the old set (I don't know which version, but I think it was before Tireless Menace), walking speed has been reduced and so has the consumption of calories while walking. The dotted lines below are for the old test series, the full ones are for v.349:

walk2.jpg.3156bcf7de849d4c4214519579669f

Archived