Devs: Great game but please make metal be metal

Wasteland Watcher

The decay rate isn't meant to be realistic - it's in there for gameplay function (just like with the fast clothing decay, and the food spoiling). If the decay was at realistic rates, then there would be no risk or danger of have no consequences or cost per use [i.e. you could just keep using one without worrying about it breaking], and you would only need one item for life in each run -- which is counterproductive to gameplay motivation. ;)

Yet another in a long line of thousands asking for more realism posts. It might be time for the devs to re-evaluate the strategic direction of the realism level of the core mechanics in the game.

The systems already largely exist to support a more realistic experience while gameplay point of view is also valid, gamers attracted to this genre are more apt to prefer increased realism over increased gameplay certainly when gameplay is coming at the cost of realism.

Yet another in a long line of thousands asking for more realism posts. It might be time for the devs to re-evaluate the strategic direction of the realism level of the core mechanics in the game.

The systems already largely exist to support a more realistic experience while gameplay point of view is also valid, gamers attracted to this genre are more apt to prefer increased realism over increased gameplay certainly when gameplay is coming at the cost of realism.

I disagree about "time for the devs to re-evaluate the strategic direction".... it's their game, and they know where they want the direction going. Players keep forgetting - The Sandbox mode is NOT the game... it was just an enjoyable bonus that players enjoy it so much. The purpose of the sandbox was to test mechanics that fit within the storyline that they've already written.

There's a balance in order to complete the steps necessary within their release timeframes and production budget. They've added in a ton of user requests, but that doesn't mean they should scrap their concept in order to change the game into an actual realistic simulator -- everything included must function within their storyline.

Hardcore survival aspects might be nice, but if it doesn't fit the gameplay needs, they shouldn't be required to reconsider and change their whole "strategic direction" just because players want this testing portion changed for immediate play... When story mode is revealed, then we'll have a better idea of where their strategic direction is planned... until then saying to change it without even knowing the needs or reasoning behind their choices isn't logical (there are likely reasons they have set some balances for gameplay value rather than realism -- just as they adjusted travel speed from the earliest versions [which were more realistic] for gameplay faster travel).

They're pretty good at adding in a number of requests as long as it will fit within the main story mode gameplay. That's where their time and budget are prioritized. Once they have the main foundation completed, they will likely add more features or gameplay functions and changes where possible.

Metal tools should last a very long time. However, they should not last a very long time in peak condition.

Let me clarify. A hatchet or a good hunting knife will last years with no maintenance provided that you don't do something inappropriate with them. However, they will lose their edge quickly.

IMHO, time is the most important resource in TLD. Metal tools should last a very long time, but they would need maintenance regularly or they will become less efficient.

That dull hatchet will take 30 minutes to break up a limb, not 20. The dull hunting knife will take three hours to process the deer, not an hour and a half.

The duller the tool gets, the faster it grows duller, until it's much less efficient than it would be if well maintained. But that's just the start. Dull bladed tools are more dangerous to the user than sharp tools. You make more mistakes with dull tools. You use more force. You are more likely to destroy the tool and harm yourself.

Let's go back to that hatchet. A dull hatchet has to be wielded with more force. That's more calories. You stay out in the cold longer. That's more calories. As you use a dull hatchet, it gets duller, faster, until it's basically not far from being a hammer, at which point the blade stops getting worse because you don't have the strength to make it duller.

BUT that's not the end. All those heavy blows to make the dull hatchet cut will eventually loosen the head of the hatchet. You might lose the wedge holding the hatchet head in place. You might even crack the handle. The metal head would be salvageable, but you'd have to replace the handle. Which would take more calories and time at the work table.

And even that's not all of it! If you are using the hatchet when your body condition is below 100%, you might injure yourself with the hatchet. Realistically, you could injure yourself with a hatchet when both the hatchet and you are in perfect condition, but injury is FAR more likely with poorly maintained tools. For gameplay purposes I'd say that chance of self injury with near 100% body condition and near 100% tool condition should be near-zero.

That's realism that I'd LOVE to see make it's way into the game. I just started a new game and have found rifle repair kits and sharpening stones. I hope that means the devs have started incorporating realistic maintenance of tools.

Agree completely with Farmerbob's post.

I don't give two shakes about 'gameplay balance.' If I did I'd still be playing Falldown 4 or Call Of Dummy.

I came to The Long Dark to get away from that crap.

I'll be blunt: if metal continues to 'rot' at an unrealistic rate, I may lose interest.

I'm playing to explore everywhere and live a virtual life walking around the mountains everyday, snaring rabbits for food, gathering firewood, and exploring some more, using the knife to fend off wolves when one ambushes me.

I explore so much I get a sprain just about every day (and I walk slowly & carefully on inclines/declines).

Anyhow, overall I love this game and am having fun using sandbox as a virtual camping experience since I really can't go in real life because I'm a cube-monkey/corporate grinder.

Hinterland Team, I love your game.

Please make metal, 'act like' metal please!

I really wish people who keep asking for realistic decay rates on everything would actually stop and think how utterly boring and easy the game would become!

Imagine if all your food could be stored for weeks, tools lasted a year without repair, clothes lasted years without repair etc. How boring!!

Ineffective tools, like extended time to do things with the tools is something I could get behind though. Maybe if that system existed tools should last longer until they completely deteriorate, but tend to get into a state of disrepair easily.

I really wish people who keep asking for realistic decay rates on everything would actually stop and think how utterly boring and easy the game would become!

Imagine if all your food could be stored for weeks, tools lasted a year without repair, clothes lasted years without repair etc. How boring!!

Ineffective tools, like extended time to do things with the tools is something I could get behind though. Maybe if that system existed tools should last longer until they completely deteriorate, but tend to get into a state of disrepair easily.

There should be another game mode for people like you who actually like "wooden metal" called "Leaderboard Mode" that has all the 'gameplay balance' and rotting metal your heart desires.

The game would be boring for you with realistic decay rates, but not for me.

In Voyageur at least metal should have realistic "decay" rates, meaning "not at all."

And to reiterate, "Leaderboard Mode" with decaying metal for you, not for me.

There should be another game mode for people like you who actually like "wooden metal" called "Leaderboard Mode" that has all the 'gameplay balance' and rotting metal your heart desires.

The game would be boring for you with realistic decay rates, but not for me.

In Voyageur at least metal should have realistic "decay" rates, meaning "not at all."

And to reiterate, "Leaderboard Mode" with decaying metal for you, not for me.

This is a survival game though, not a survival simulator.

A survival simulator would be completely different with many different mechanics.

The game wouldn't make any sense if realistic mechanics were put into it. If this bothers you then you should stop playing and wait until a survival simulator comes out, which would be a completely different product. If such a product did come out though, I bet you it will still have augmented requirements for repair and augmented decay of items so that you have something to do with yourself, ie a challenge.

I've just about finished exploring the static sections of Mystery Lake, and started looking for the prepper shelter and considering spending a couple days cleaning out the dam on my way to the Quonset garage and coastal house that I like to settle in.

I am very satisfied with the new sight picture of the rifle, as well as the decay rate on all tools. The implementation of the rifle cleaning kit and the sharpening stone are excellently done.

Metal is metal, but it takes about an hour's work to drop the hatchet around 3-4% and the knife around 2%. This is realistic. The blades of metal tools do wear quickly from a good edge. I haven't experimented with the effects of using lower quality tools, but I hope that the lower the quality, the more time it takes to do actions.

Bravo, Dev team - these changes were definitely moving in a great direction!

I disagree about "time for the devs to re-evaluate the strategic direction".... it's their game, and they know where they want the direction going. Players keep forgetting - The Sandbox mode is NOT the game... it was just an enjoyable bonus that players enjoy it so much. The purpose of the sandbox was to test mechanics that fit within the storyline that they've already written.

There's a balance in order to complete the steps necessary within their release timeframes and production budget. They've added in a ton of user requests, but that doesn't mean they should scrap their concept in order to change the game into an actual realistic simulator -- everything included must function within their storyline.

Hardcore survival aspects might be nice, but if it doesn't fit the gameplay needs, they shouldn't be required to reconsider and change their whole "strategic direction" just because players want this testing portion changed for immediate play... When story mode is revealed, then we'll have a better idea of where their strategic direction is planned... until then saying to change it without even knowing the needs or reasoning behind their choices isn't logical (there are likely reasons they have set some balances for gameplay value rather than realism -- just as they adjusted travel speed from the earliest versions [which were more realistic] for gameplay faster travel).

They're pretty good at adding in a number of requests as long as it will fit within the main story mode gameplay. That's where their time and budget are prioritized. Once they have the main foundation completed, they will likely add more features or gameplay functions and changes where possible.

Bill know that I respect you and I know you have been involved from the beginning. However again you take a statement I made and change it to something I did not make. I said "It might be time for the devs to re-evaluate the strategic direction of the realism level of the core mechanics." I said this as a suggestion. You are disagreeing with something I did not say. "Time for the devs to re-evaluate..." I made no such declaration.

I do feel that after the multitude of updates made to the game and incremental realism additions made that they have largely been very well received by the players, but that reading the forums you can see numerous examples of where the community is asking for more.

I understand the Story mode will be different but the sandbox is where all of the replay-ability will be after the story mode is played.

I'm not advocating they scrap a concept either. How about showing me where I said that?

The only example I can think of is the need to forge arrowheads because it doesn't make sense to not be able to make them the way we did before. If it is truly a need to test the system that is fine but there is feedback that for the sandbox that was a misstep.

I am suggesting looking at the feedback which is extensive that realism is of course a high priority with high value for players of the game and players of the genre. I'm also not suggesting they modify the game to be a complete through and through to a simulator but to build on the simulation elements they already have in place. Water and snow manufacturing times differing, fuel procurement being more of a simulation rather than abstract, and various out etcs. The addition of the varying skills you can more or less level up are good but not fleshed out.

When you say "strategic direction" I say "strategic direction of the realism level of the core mechanics of the game." To me this means two different things again. Hoping for some basic changes, such as time costs to do certain things, reclaiming furniture, branches, additions like needing to procure ice or snow to boil and not abstractly procure snow to melt, being able to take water from a fishing hole, etc. These things are already part of the game and I apologize if they do have a gameplay utility in the Story mode but they seem to be changes they could make for the sandbox.

If those changes come after the Story mode drops, great. in 2016 I don't count on additions to code by the developer beyond patching on a project after it goes to retail being a legit hope but that is me.

If they enable us to MOD, All Problems solved. So far I've heard modding will not be part of the game.

To clarify I'm not advocating completely abandonment of gameplay in favor of realism. Far from it, some of the changes made such as walking speed and running stamina, that you say are more gameplay I favor. I would also argue adding a stamina limitation to running is a change favoring realism and I am not sure how you can argue that favors gameplay more than realism but if we both win because they made it and it is better for realism and gameplay then GREAT!

As we get closer to the launch of the Story Mode I continue to encourage the developers to build on the realism aspects they've already expanded on. Feel free to disagree but please do so regarding my whole statement and not just lining up "whatever parts" sound like they are fair to be critical, as that isn't really fair.

I've just about finished exploring the static sections of Mystery Lake, and started looking for the prepper shelter and considering spending a couple days cleaning out the dam on my way to the Quonset garage and coastal house that I like to settle in.

I am very satisfied with the new sight picture of the rifle, as well as the decay rate on all tools. The implementation of the rifle cleaning kit and the sharpening stone are excellently done.

Metal is metal, but it takes about an hour's work to drop the hatchet around 3-4% and the knife around 2%. This is realistic. The blades of metal tools do wear quickly from a good edge. I haven't experimented with the effects of using lower quality tools, but I hope that the lower the quality, the more time it takes to do actions.

Bravo, Dev team - these changes were definitely moving in a great direction!

I agree these are realism changes and they are very positive for the game. It doesn't have simulate each atom coming off the virtual blade but the whole concept of you need to sharpen a tool if you want it to continue to be effective is spot on.

This is another part of good design which is improving which is giving the player more things to do in order to effective positive survival. Less random and more increased survivability. Having a knife increases your chances of surviving both against attack and in harvesting meat quickly allowing you to do other things that need to be done to survive. Same with a hatchet, having a hatchet allows you to spend less time foraging for wood in order to get the same amount of wood, and sometimes it isn't time so much as exposure to attack and poor weather. In any event losing one or both of these items will reduce your overall survivability. That is realism and that it is also better gameplay which is the whole meat and potatoes of my point.

It doesn't have simulate each atom coming off the virtual blade but the whole concept of you need to sharpen a tool if you want it to continue to be effective is spot on.

It is. Only that is not the concept the game uses. The concept the game uses is that a) your tool degrades (=wears down) with every use at an unnaturally fast rate until it will eventually be utterly and irreperably ruined, b) sharpening your tool with a specific whetstone in limited supply undoes the degradation and c) you will sooner or later be forced to use the forge they have wasted so much coding time on (if you want to continue having tools).

My problem(s) with this:

a) This just simply never happens (with hatchets). Sure, blades go dull - knives can break. But even if you never sharpen your hatchet and keep using it, the only thing that will eventually break is the handle - and that can easily be replaced. Even a blunt hatchet can still serve its purpose, but that should never actually become an issue, because...

b) all you need to sharpen a blade is some metal (preferably harder than the blade you're trying to sharpen) or even some concrete or the right kind of rock. Of course a proper whetstone is preferable, but you don't need one. And I'd say there's plenty of conrete at the dam. And finally...

c) no. Just no.

Continuous sharpening of knives will wear down the blade (my dad's a retired chef, one of his knives from when he first trained as a cook at age 15, which he still uses, has its blade reduced to about 2/3 or half of the original width), but this is not an issue in-game as it is, because sharpening can restore your knife all the way up to 100%. Plus it'd take years anyway.

I don't want artificial gamey difficulty. I want realistic challenges that grow organically from the simulated world. Of course this is a game and not a "simulator" (although I know plenty of games that are called "simulator"), but that is just and argument used by apologists everytime a realistic feature is demanded that they personally wouldn't like to be implemented. If this game wasn't built around simulating a real-life survival situation 90% of us wouldn't be here. I am not interested in what survival would be like in hocus pocus land. Who would be?

Much in this game is already very good in terms of realism. Some elements of realism cannot reasonably be reflected in a game - granted. But there are several elements of game-play in TLD that a plainly and simply cop-outs, quick fixes and diversions to hide issues with the game that would otherwise be glaring problems or would require a lot of time and effort to address properly. A few examples?

Passage of time: The passage of time is increased by factor 12 or so in order to make the maps seem bigger. The proper fix would be bigger maps, the easy way out is speeding up time so it takes a couple of hours to cross a lake less than a mile wide.

Degradation of items: Food, clothing and tools decay and an accelerated rate to keep the player busy. The proper solution would be to add meaningful tasks and activities, like more needs to meet, more stuff to craft, more variation of items, more achievements, long-term goals, etc.

Tons of wildlife: Caloric requirements are high to keep the players busy, animals yield only 1-2 days' worth of food, so there have to be tons of animals around. The proper fix would be less animals with better AI, more realistic behaviour, that yield a lot more, far more nutritious meat that can be kept fresh (let's say edible) for a long time when stored properly. But then players would only go hunting every couple of weeks and would realise how little there is to do in the game once you have crafted the whole fur collection and a bow.

Compromises have to be made, of course. As much as I would like a million different items in the game, I am aware that that is simply not feasible. But when something that couldn't be done properly (for good reasons) is then sold as a feature or design choice, I find it a bit frustrating.

You get no argument for me on the eventual run down of resources, however the blades are plentiful enough and sharpening agents plentiful enough that it doesn't really bother me.

Would I be in favor of using a rock from the caves at a lower efficiency but indefinitely? Absolutely. However I understand the "gameplay" argument that there needs to be scarcity of resources as well. I don't really think it is balanced when you compare the level of cloth resources in Coastal Highway or the Metal Resources in Desolation Point or Meat Resources in Mystery Lake.

I am also fully in favor of more things to do to effect survival but that may not be this game unfortunately. But TLD is close and it is a good game in it's own right.

Larger maps than Pleasant Valley are evidently difficult or impossible to create. I don't know why that is an issue however I can only give the development team props for how they have added distinct and varied terrain and maps with each new map release.

You won't get too much argument from me on realism or making the game more realistic however I also understand the merits of improving the game play. I think most players of the genre and core of the market prefer realism to gamey however even if they also have to develop to the younger or more casual crowd as well. One other thought I have is this would be an excellent game to convert a casual gamer to a more hardcore realism gamer because the genre is so different from first person shooters or puzzle games. It does require some skills, real and abstract while also requiring though, planning, both daily, and strategic.

The decay rate isn't meant to be realistic - it's in there for gameplay function (just like with the fast clothing decay, and the food spoiling). If the decay was at realistic rates, then there would be no risk or danger of have no consequences or cost per use [i.e. you could just keep using one without worrying about it breaking], and you would only need one item for life in each run -- which is counterproductive to gameplay motivation. ;)

And yet many items are allowed to be permanent. Beds and stoves never wear out. (Bedrolls? Yes. But not beds.) This means the player has no need to go find a new home base after he 'wears out' his first one. So he has less gameplay motivation than if those things wore out.

So just to give motivation isn't a good enough reason IMHO.

But there are several elements of game-play in TLD that a plainly and simply cop-outs, quick fixes and diversions to hide issues with the game that would otherwise be glaring problems or would require a lot of time and effort to address properly. A few examples?

Passage of time: The passage of time is increased by factor 12 or so in order to make the maps seem bigger. The proper fix would be bigger maps, the easy way out is speeding up time so it takes a couple of hours to cross a lake less than a mile wide.

Degradation of items: Food, clothing and tools decay and an accelerated rate to keep the player busy. The proper solution would be to add meaningful tasks and activities, like more needs to meet, more stuff to craft, more variation of items, more achievements, long-term goals, etc.

Tons of wildlife: Caloric requirements are high to keep the players busy, animals yield only 1-2 days' worth of food, so there have to be tons of animals around. The proper fix would be less animals with better AI, more realistic behaviour, that yield a lot more, far more nutritious meat that can be kept fresh (let's say edible) for a long time when stored properly. But then players would only go hunting every couple of weeks and would realise how little there is to do in the game once you have crafted the whole fur collection and a bow.

Compromises have to be made, of course. As much as I would like a million different items in the game, I am aware that that is simply not feasible. But when something that couldn't be done properly (for good reasons) is then sold as a feature or design choice, I find it a bit frustrating.

Well said.

If MOD-ing were allowed, whole regions and things to do would sprout from enthusiastic players, large and good enough to not need the accelerated time or the other shortcuts taken by TLD for lack of time and ressources or simply because it would not integrate well in the story mode, when it will appear.

Those MOD's would be limited to sandbox, yes, and need to be updated as the code is being updated by TLD, yes. I don't thing that is a real impediment

I agree these are realism changes and they are very positive for the game. It doesn't have simulate each atom coming off the virtual blade but the whole concept of you need to sharpen a tool if you want it to continue to be effective is spot on.

Except that this is not the way it was implemented!

All the tools stay perfectly effective throughtout their lifespan.

You can harvest a deer just a quickly with knife at 10% as with a knife at 100%.

I'd love to see something like that. Give players a reason to sharpen their knives and hatchets regularly instead of waiting for the next blizzard and sharpening it then to kill time.

There is way too much kicking around here to be quoting and following, so I'm just going to summarize the things I would really like to see in this regard:

1. Metal tools become less effective as they become dull. Perhaps two durability stats, one for condition and one for sharpness (so I have to eventually replace a hatchet handle).

2. The whetstone degrades much slower, or not at all. Maybe a "premium" whetstone is added... I am an avid outdoorsman, and still use the same diamond stone today that my father gave me when I was five. His has been going his whole life as well. Even the small one I take in my backpack, though worn down, is still VERY functional, and it dates from my Cub Scout days.

3. Different degradation rates by task as well as time. My hunting knife should take a lot more punishment from cutting apart a frozen deer than a fresh one, and a hatchet should be very little affected by knocking apart and splitting up a wooden shelf, but is going to dull from hacking up a frozen fallen tree limb.

4. Maybe this isn't the right spot, but similar complaints for the rifle... cleaning could be done once and never again for the number of rounds we are likely to find, and I still have the same rifle cleaning kit I've had my entire life (although I have had to get/make more patches).

There is way too much kicking around here to be quoting and following, so I'm just going to summarize the things I would really like to see in this regard:

1. Metal tools become less effective as they become dull. Perhaps two durability stats, one for condition and one for sharpness (so I have to eventually replace a hatchet handle).

2. The whetstone degrades much slower, or not at all. Maybe a "premium" whetstone is added... I am an avid outdoorsman, and still use the same diamond stone today that my father gave me when I was five. His has been going his whole life as well. Even the small one I take in my backpack, though worn down, is still VERY functional, and it dates from my Cub Scout days.

3. Different degradation rates by task as well as time. My hunting knife should take a lot more punishment from cutting apart a frozen deer than a fresh one, and a hatchet should be very little affected by knocking apart and splitting up a wooden shelf, but is going to dull from hacking up a frozen fallen tree limb.

4. Maybe this isn't the right spot, but similar complaints for the rifle... cleaning could be done once and never again for the number of rounds we are likely to find, and I still have the same rifle cleaning kit I've had my entire life (although I have had to get/make more patches).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hinterland Devs, what he said!

(Thank you HavocFactory)

Except that this is not the way it was implemented!

All the tools stay perfectly effective throughtout their lifespan.

You can harvest a deer just a quickly with knife at 10% as with a knife at 100%.

I'd love to see something like that. Give players a reason to sharpen their knives and hatchets regularly instead of waiting for the next blizzard and sharpening it then to kill time.

I am on board with sharpening mechanics reflecting more speedy harvesting. Question is would you ever not have your equipment fully sharp in that case? There isn't enough to do indoors (not enough taskts) to make this work however. Right now the time tradeoffs are barely sensical but there is too much time in the day to get stuff done. The sharpening is a time-sink and an explain away reason for why a blade eventually wears out in TLD.

Timesink the same on the rifle.

I've got mixed feelings on the rifle kit.

General use is you shoot a rifle and afterwards you clean the barrel with solvents, a brush, and patches. Then you apply oil both as a lubricant but also to ward off moisture/rust.

The rifle cleaning kit wearing out could indicate your supply of solvent and oil run out.

I've also worked with very heavily used and never cleaned rifles, where the burnt powder residue eventually starts to negatively affect the accuracy of the rifle. You can spend hours and hours cleaning and once the barrel is relatively clean you get back to something like normal accuracy. I guess that's what I imagine the rifle cleaning to be. It's an old neglected rifle, never got cleaned, and really needs a good scrubbing. That's how I picture it.

Of course I've only been playing a relatively short while and both rifles I found were in very rough shape, and I also never shot them enough to note how quickly they degrade per round.

Based on my limted game experience I'd say I'd encourage Hinterland to add some code where the rifle is always found at below 49% condition and cleaning takes an hour to improve the condition slightly. This means finding the rifle is only half the battle, finding a cleaning kit and then spending much time cleaning it is needed. and firing the rifle doesn't cause it to wear. Rifles don't need wear to be balanced because of limited ammo availability.

I agree with all of this.

Sharp tools should make the work faster. Knife/Hatchet never truly 'wears out' it just dulls making the work slower and harder. Whetstones last basically forever. Different tasks wear the item differently. Probably breaking down shelves/chairs I wouldn't even use the blade probably hit with the back end (poll)

Not totally convinced it's worth including handles breaking etc. However if you go down this route you could make hatchet like arrow. Hatchet is composed of 2 parts. Axe Head & handle. Handle can be crafted from certain woods. A worn ax is 'harvested' like an arrow, leaving you with just the axe head.

Not sure the knife should ever wear out and need to be rebuilt in a similar fashion.

Archived