Favourite No-Load Shelter

Favourite No-Load Shelter  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm a big fan of the various houses, huts and shelters in the game that you can just walk into, and I make a habit of stocking them with supplies and using them wherever I can.  There's just something great about being able to see the weather (and occasionally wildlife) through the window, or being able to light fires and lanterns and see that homely glow from the outside.

For the purposes of the poll, I'm including fully enclosed shelters or buildings that have at least two of the following:  bed, fireplace, stove, storage, workbench.  If I've missed any, let me know!

I get the feeling the favourite for this poll is probably going to be the Mountaineer's Hut straight from the start, but's what's your favourite no-load shelter, and why?

Edited by ElSuperGecko
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Lexilogo said:

I actually don't use no load shelters that much, so I'm actually going to vote for the Old Spence Family Homestead for being such a convenient Forge location.

Yeah, it's got a lot going for it - bed, storage space, workbench, a great central location and the forge.  I think most players end up spending time there at some point or another.

• Upvote 3

I'm having a hard time voting, since you didn't list any of the good 2 layer caves I prefer to use as long term shelters in Stalker, though I do stash stuff in buildings. Spence's will get my vote, I guess, since it's outdoors (Cabin Fever avoidance) and has storage and amenities, though I don't tend to spend more time in FM that I absolutely have to. I just have a thing for living in caves, as long as I am not sharing them with bears. 🦇🐻

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Vacant depot...   Transfer pass is just a nice place to chill out..

Yeah, I do like Vacant Depot, plenty of game and firewood nearby and it's a nice place to relax in between battling the other Far Territory regions.  No predators to worry about either (until the big cat makes a return at least).

No bed or workbench, but they're not part of of the building design anyway.  A bedroll in front of the fire is nice and homely.

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I'm having a hard time voting, since you didn't list any of the good 2 layer caves I prefer to use as long term shelters in Stalker, though I do stash stuff in buildings. Spence's will get my vote, I guess, since it's outdoors (Cabin Fever avoidance) and has storage and amenities, though I don't tend to spend more time in FM that I absolutely have to. I just have a thing for living in caves, as long as I am not sharing them with bears. 🦇🐻

That moment when you're exhausted, cold, frozen and there's a blizzard going on so you duck into a cave to recover, only to wake up to see five hundred pounds of fur snoring a couple of yards away...

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, ElSuperGecko said:

Yeah, I do like Vacant Depot, plenty of game and firewood nearby and it's a nice place to relax in between battling the other Far Territory regions.  No predators to worry about either (until the big cat makes a return at least).

No bed or workbench, but they're not part of of the building design anyway.  A bedroll in front of the fire is nice and homely.

That moment when you're exhausted, cold, frozen and there's a blizzard going on so you duck into a cave to recover, only to wake up to see five hundred pounds of fur snoring a couple of yards away...

I don't see the zone as too far away for a workbench really..   if needed anyway...   

But definitely worth the wear and tear on the bedroll...       And you can watch the aurora through the windows,a big plus for me..

The main downside for me at the moment is the noise from the bugged out ptarmigans lol..  

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

The island cottage in Forsaken Airfield is my favorite, almost makes interloper feel like a vacation.
Only downside is how far away it's from everything else in the world.

The park office in Milton would be my close second- lots of storage, far away from all the wolves in the region and it does not accumulate cabin fever.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Talavaj said:

The island cottage in Forsaken Airfield is my favorite, almost makes interloper feel like a vacation.
Only downside is how far away it's from everything else in the world.

The park office in Milton would be my close second- lots of storage, far away from all the wolves in the region and it does not accumulate cabin fever.

Both the cabins in Forsaken Airfield are stunning.  I'm torn between them - Island Cottage is probably the better overall location with the workbench and access to fishing huts, but Mindful cabin has an upstairs!  And a bathtub!

The views from both are fantastic, especially when the airfield is lit up during an aurora.

The Park Office cabin ended up hosting most of my loot from Milton and HRV.  I re-stocked the vending machine with sodas, energy drinks and water bottles 🤣

• Upvote 4

for no load shelter, the Maintenance Yard Exterior (Broken Railroad).

it has bed and you have storage, a fire can be lit.

i like it because no cabin fever & you can look at the exterior.

the wolves aren't a problem as you can shout them safely, once it is done, you have peace for a certain time.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 3

• Hinterland

A good amount of variation in the selections, which is nice to see!

I'll admit, I had to pick the ML Lookout tower because it was the first of its kind, and I spent a LOT of hours up there dreaming about what the rest of Great Bear would eventually become...

• Upvote 13
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

A good amount of variation in the selections, which is nice to see!

I'll admit, I had to pick the ML Lookout tower because it was the first of its kind, and I spent a LOT of hours up there dreaming about what the rest of Great Bear would eventually become...

Curios which one was it that you spent so much time in?  The first lookout overseeing the clear cut area or the latest version by the railroad tracks?  
I spent a lot of time in the former myself back in the day, I kinda miss it to be honest. 

9 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Curios which one was it that you spent so much time in?  The first lookout overseeing the clear cut area or the latest version by the railroad tracks?  
I spent a lot of time in the former myself back in the day, I kinda miss it to be honest. 

Agreed.  It's kind of depressing to visit it's ruins now.

My vote was, hands down, Mt Hut.  Not necessarily for wholly practical purposes, but, ya can't beat the view!!  I like the isolation it imparts as well.  Now, if HRV had a similar hut (perhaps overlooking the basin), now, THAT would present some serious competition for Mt Hut!

I do like both FA's Mindful Cabin and Island Cottage, but FA itself I don't particularly care for.

My favorite place to cook up a bear or moose is BI's Fallen Lighthouse.  Sleeping under the stars with a hot stove and meat sizzling...
Also, the aurorae from there are amazing.

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 4

My Steam avatar is a snipped screenshot I took back when the original Forestry Lookout was still intact (with an avatar frame that adds a sparkly snow animation over it):

Screenshot_6.png.74cb354c9ab545b8df63b3006c28ae74.png

Been using the same avatar for years, and I doubt I will ever change it. That place holds special memories from when I first started playing, that the new Forestry Lookout just can't match (it has it's own new memories, that aren't quite as sentimental). The first time I found the way to it and made my way up- yeah. 8 year old memory, that will never fade. 

• Upvote 6
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pyroxene said:

Lotte's Rest is my new favorite. It was neat to sleep there, and I didn't take any condition hit.

Yeah, I really like the mountain refuge huts.  I also like the little variations they have.  Lotte's Rest has a lot of storage containers available (and Ptarmigan!).  Placid Notch, doesn't have as many, and Final Refuge has none at all.  It does have pretty easy access to ice fishing though (and a bear 🤣).

As expected, Mountaineer's Hut is taking a commanding lead!

Surprised at no love for Idle Camp yet - I love the multi-building layout with the two bunkhouses and the canteen/kitchen.  I can just imagine the workers walking the path down to the Langston Mine each day.  You know, before it was surrounded by the risk of chemical poisoning and starving wolves.  Put it on the shores of Mystery Lake and it could almost be a summer camp!  😆

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ElSuperGecko said:

Yeah, I really like the mountain refuge huts.  I also like the little variations they have.  Lotte's Rest has a lot of storage containers available (and Ptarmigan!).  Placid Notch, doesn't have as many, and Final Refuge has none at all.  It does have pretty easy access to ice fishing though (and a bear 🤣).

As expected, Mountaineer's Hut is taking a commanding lead!

Surprised at no love for Idle Camp yet - I love the multi-building layout with the two bunkhouses and the canteen/kitchen.  I can just imagine the workers walking the path down to the Langston Mine each day.  You know, before it was surrounded by the risk of chemical poisoning and starving wolves.  Put it on the shores of Mystery Lake and it could almost be a summer camp!  😆

Maybe because Idle Camp is surrounded by toxic chemicals?

• Hinterland
11 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Both! More in the one overseeing the clearcut though.

• Upvote 4

On 7/29/2024 at 6:56 PM, bascolais said:

for no load shelter, the Maintenance Yard Exterior (Broken Railroad).

it has bed and you have storage, a fire can be lit.

I agree.

It's superior to all other locations with forge, because cabin-fever can be avoided or easily slept off. 

You can fish out of a snow shelter on the lake and get plenty of fish / vitamin C.

Nothing beats it for practicality, and you get free meat delivery services.

-t

• Upvote 2

I'm another fan of the Broken Railroad maintenance yard, especially early on when I'm trying to get my skills up. You've got the forge and workbench inside, but you can make a campfire on the floor of the exterior office part. I usually set it up just next to the doorway to the office with the bed so I can grab some naps while stuff is cooking. It's an excellent spot to practice your archery on the resident wolves while staying safely inside. The bear will even come all the way up to the yard with enough scent. There are also the ptarmigans up on the nearby ridge which you can grab and run back down into the shed to harvest. There's plenty of reclaimed wood available from all the crates, which you can breakdown by hand if you don't have tools yet. Also plenty of metal things to breakdown with the hacksaw to use in the forge. It can still get a bit chilly at times, even with the warmth bonus of the bed, so you just need to be mindful of that.

• Upvote 2

On 7/30/2024 at 5:13 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Both! More in the one overseeing the clearcut though.

I'm a big fan of Pensive Lookout - there's a lot more in the cabin there, desk with computer, cupboard, shelving etc.  And a storage bin for fuel at the base.

Thinking about it, there's a couple of spots at the Cannery as that probably could/should have made this list as well.  Even if you end up with some very noisy (and bitey) neighbours!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1