Firearm mishaps

spertane26

It's always been odd for me we have the option to unload fire arms but there's not that much reason to do it. Role-play wise I always unload them before cleaning because that's what you are supposed to do. I think it would add some realism if there was a potential consequence to cleaning a loaded gun. Maybe a 10% chance on pilgrim, 25% chance on voyager and 50% chance on stalker of a negligent discharge while cleaning and the player has a new affliction to take care of from being careless. In addition if you fire a gun in an enclosed there could be a loss of hearing affliction for x amount of hours, I mean guns are loud and your rabbit hat ear flaps can't block out sounds that loud.

• Upvote 3

I'll be honest with you, I would 100% never encourage even in a game an unsafe practice like trying to clean a firearm while still loaded. I feel like a majority of the population is already fairly ignorant with firearms handling in real life, and even though you should never use a video game as a source of information, there will be those who will try to do so.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, deathbydanish said:

I'll be honest with you, I would 100% never encourage even in a game an unsafe practice like trying to clean a firearm while still loaded. I feel like a majority of the population is already fairly ignorant with firearms handling in real life, and even though you should never use a video game as a source of information, there will be those who will try to do so.

This is how it works at the moment, tho. OP is discussing adding a penalty.

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2024 at 10:25 PM, xanna said:

This is how it works at the moment, tho. OP is discussing adding a penalty.

Even with that being said, that should not be in scope for a video game. The warning at the loading screen should be enough.

I don't know about  others  but in the UK guns are illegal and really only used by the forces,and farmers with a special permit.i believe most of Europe is the same 

Even with the tiny amount of experience I have with guns,a lee Enfield actually, I'd know never to clean a loaded weapon.. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I don't know about  others  but in the UK guns are illegal and really only used by the forces,and farmers with a special permit.i believe most of Europe is the same 

Even with the tiny amount of experience I have with guns,a lee Enfield actually, I'd know never to clean a loaded weapon.. 

I'm saying there should be a consequence for being careless by not unloading the gun before cleaning. There could be a chance of it going off and now you have a new affliction to treat because you shot yourself.

I was just commenting on the concerns of others regarding it being done in real life..

In game I never unload the rifle before cleaning..honestly aside from my mini mission I'm nearly done with ,I hardly use or clean it ..and while I kind of agree with you I think there's enough afflictions in the game already 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, spertane26 said:

I'm saying there should be a consequence for being careless by not unloading the gun before cleaning. There could be a chance of it going off and now you have a new affliction to treat because you shot yourself.

I honestly don't remember if the "Unload" option was always in the game or added after players asked for it (been playing for 8 years, and can't remember every change), but I rarely if ever unload a revolver or rifle to clean it, even though IRL I do own firearms and started hunting when I was quite young and know to do so IRL.

Yes, for "realism" it makes sense to need to unload before cleaning. For me, as a game mechanic, it isn't a huge part of "immersion" or "realism" that concerns me. If they add a new mechanic adding risk to cleaning without unloading, I'm fine with that- I'll adapt and play the game that way. If they leave it as is, I'm fine- I'll keep playing the way I already do.

Though if they do add that risk and a possible affliction, rather that something that might kill me if I am not paying close attention (sleepy, tired, distracted, hungry IRL), I would prefer something like temporary deafness or temporary partial loss of hearing with the Pain affliction (ears ringing/headache) from the firearm going off in an indoor location (I play mostly vanilla Stalker, and I am not standing outside for long periods of time in a snow storm trying to clean and repair my guns)-  fishing huts, caves and mines would have the same risk, risk would be lower in an unenclosed outdoor location.

• Upvote 3

Looking back, I see a handful of separate archives for the changelogs over the years preserved on the wiki:

The Long Dark/Early Access Changelog | The Long Dark Wiki | Fandom

The Long Dark/Changelog/Archive 1 | The Long Dark Wiki | Fandom

The Long Dark/Changelog/Archive 2 | The Long Dark Wiki | Fandom

The Long Dark/Changelog | The Long Dark Wiki | Fandom

I believe all the corresponding Patch Notes/Posts are linked directly from these pages.

This was the first mention of being able to unload ammunition from a weapon that I could find:
The Long Dark/Early Access Changelog | The Long Dark Wiki | Fandom

0.233 (Silent Hunter Update)
Released: 22 May 2015

[...text removed for brevity...]
Minor:
It is now possible to Unload ammunition from the Rifle (using the Inventory).

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, 2015 would be before I started playing, so unloading firearms has always been there in my non-Time-Capsule games. Which would explain why I don't remember if it changed or not- nothing to remember, so...

At least that means old middle age is not making me forget things more often. Or at least that's the excuse I am going to use, for now. 😂

• Upvote 3

On 7/13/2024 at 5:00 PM, spertane26 said:

we have the option to unload firearms but there's not that much reason to do it. Role-play wise

This post has several parts. 

First, this is a game, I think the Hinterland development team has worked appropriately hard to make this clear to everyone.

Second, if the OP feels this is a "teachable moment", then simply make the cleaning process include unloading the weapon, I strongly disagree with the idea that an accidental discharge should be added to this game, no, not an idea I would support.

Third, if the game mechanics were updated to include "unload and clean", then this would serve as a successful training moment and the game would benefit from the addition of a "penalty" in the form of the player may forget to reload prior to resuming the game activities. This is a change I would support and like to see.

Finally, the hearing loss affliction is a neat idea, except for those times when the "hit box" for a stick or cat tail is smaller than you thought, and the revolver was equipped while the player was interacting in the game world and clicked too soon or too late.

Good luck in game my friends, sorry this got a bit long. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, s7mar7in said:

This post has several parts. 

First, this is a game, I think the Hinterland development team has worked appropriately hard to make this clear to everyone.

Second, if the OP feels this is a "teachable moment", then simply make the cleaning process include unloading the weapon, I strongly disagree with the idea that an accidental discharge should be added to this game, no, not an idea I would support.

Third, if the game mechanics were updated to include "unload and clean", then this would serve as a successful training moment and the game would benefit from the addition of a "penalty" in the form of the player may forget to reload prior to resuming the game activities. This is a change I would support and like to see.

Finally, the hearing loss affliction is a neat idea, except for those times when the "hit box" for a stick or cat tail is smaller than you thought, and the revolver was equipped while the player was interacting in the game world and clicked too soon or too late.

Good luck in game my friends, sorry this got a bit long. 

I play on console so did not think about the fire and interact button being the same. Good point on that.