Hinterland, What is going on with fishing lures??

Fishing lures decrease your odds to catch fish, by increasing the maximum wait time to catch a fish.
Equipping a lure increases how much time you have to spend waiting for a fish to bite. (+20% for a simple lure, +50% for acorn or casing lure, or +75% for wire lure)

In the update video for part 3, Katie (Kate?) said this:
"these two items can be added to tip-ups or regular fishing lines to increase your chance to catch fish and encourage larger fish to bite"

But for the past 9 months we've had several hotfixes and a major update, and fishing lures still continue to decrease the chance to catch fish instead of increasing it

Is this a bug, or did you intend for this to work this way?

Because there are 2 options here, and both are very silly:

1. This is intentional

If this is intentional, then this decision was probably made to balance out the increased odds of catching rare fish.

But, this makes no sense.
Rare fish do not contain Vitamin C, and they don't carry any special benefits, so they are strictly worse than catching regular fish. (Only exception being the burbot because it has a ton of calories but this is balanced out by the goldeye which is a tiny fish and an underwhelming catch)

So, if this behavior is intentional then it's a really bad decision that makes fishing lures completely useless in regular day to day fishing.

2. This is not intentional

If this is not intentional, then why on earth hasn't it been patched out yet?
It's a serious issue that completely removes fishing lures from play, and it has been 9 months(!!!) since the feature released, with multiple hotfixes and updates going live in the meanwhile, and nothing has happened to fishing lures.

This situation is literally just Acorn Coffee all over again, which is very frustrating to me. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I was so excited earlier, but unfortunately the lures are disappointing for me and I never use them more, maybe for tip ups at most. Probably a bug for my opinion....

29 minutes ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

Fishing lures decrease your odds to catch fish, by increasing the maximum wait time to catch a fish.
Equipping a lure increases how much time you have to spend waiting for a fish to bite. (+20% for a simple lure, +50% for acorn or casing lure, or +75% for wire lure)

Is this really so, with the difference catch probability, in particular the wire lure?

They're completely useless and been broken since their introduction, this is true. I would never recommend anyone to use them. But at least the tip-up works...

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Sebastian1992 said:

I was so excited earlier, but unfortunately the lures are disappointing for me and I never use them more, maybe for tip ups at most. Probably a bug for my opinion....

Is this really so, with the difference catch probability, in particular the wire lure?

Yes. People have tested this by fishing for a long time to get experimental data, and some players have also opened the games code to confirm

• Upvote 3

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but if bugs bother you then just wait for hinterland to finish the game before playing. I am still waiting to play story mode, and I will continue to wait until a number of months after the final episode so I can play it in its best state.

I am still waiting to play baldur's gate 3 too. They're on like patch 30 now of bug fixes so it will likely be a while yet before I buy it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

if bugs bother you then just wait for hinterland to finish the game before playing

This is pretty much what I'm doing. Not because of any bugs, though

The bugs don't bother me, the lack of transparency about issues is what bothers me.
I like hunting bugs, because (I hope) I'm making a difference and helping out hinterland where possible, cuz i love this game
Just like with Acorn Coffee, all it takes from them is a "Yes, we know, stop bothering us", which is 100x better than radio silence on issues.

. . . 

I recently jumped back into this game, went on for around 220 days, and then threw myself off a cliff in Hushed River Valley after i got bored.
I don't really take surviving seriously right now, I'm treating playing as practice for when the DLC is eventually finished in it's entirety.

I wrote down and recorded all the issues i came across while re-exploring everything and working my way through all the content, and that was that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

Yes. People have tested this by fishing for a long time to get experimental data, and some players have also opened the games code to confirm

Interesting and I thought it might no difference, buy anyway it's better we fish old school! Thank you for your enlightenment and your bugreport work 👍

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I'd say it's more than a bit unfair to be implying a lack of transparency on Hinterland's part.
Over the years, I'd say Hinterland has done fairly well in being very open with their community.
Let's not continue down that path... I find it tends to get disrespectful rather quickly.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I'd say it's more than a bit unfair to be implying a lack of transparency on Hinterland's part.
Over the years, I'd say Hinterland has done fairly well with in being very open with their community.
Let's not continue down that path... I find it tends to get disrespectful rather quickly.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

That was fast, only 4 hours in

19 hours ago, odizzido said:

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but if bugs bother you then just wait for hinterland to finish the game before playing. I am still waiting to play story mode, and I will continue to wait until a number of months after the final episode so I can play it in its best state.

I am still waiting to play baldur's gate 3 too. They're on like patch 30 now of bug fixes so it will likely be a while yet before I buy it.

Lol I'd have been waiting over 8 years then. This is not the solution.

• Like 2

The only use I have found for using fishing lures is trying to catch the new rare fish. Fish with fishing tackle + bait in the ice hole, have 2 tip-ups with lures set up to try to catch Rockfish for Dockworker's Pie. And I've had fairly good luck with that. If I don't want or need Rockfish or the other more rare fish, I stash the lures and just use bait harvested from the lowest condition fish I catch or find washed up.

Lures increase your chances to catch the rare fish, bait increases the chance to catch bigger fish. Again, I use bait fairly often, I use lures only if I really want or need Rockfish for Dockworker's Pie (which has a reasonably good amount of Vitamin C, and is honestly just something different to cook that is more interesting than just plain cooked fish). YMMV, of course.

• Upvote 2