Please add a confirmation before eating Raw Meat!

Captain Jamesy

Am I the only one, or have others almost had a long run ruined by an accidental click on Raw Meat?

Considering how much effort is required to light a wooden torch, please can we have a confirmation (maybe even optional) when selecting Raw Meat.

I am frustrated when selecting into my inventory to drop or move something, that the slightest miss click and I start chowing down on Raw Bear Meat.

The food poisoning is one thing, but the Intestinal Parasites are terrible.

I have never intentionally eaten raw meat, even rabbit or deer... but have almost died in two separate 300+ day interloper runs, from this too easy to trigger action.

• Upvote 5
  • Like 1

My issue with this is that upon opening the inventory, it seems like the cursor is always random. It's never consistent. If I open my inventory, look around, and exit the inventory while the cursor is on a certain item/tab, the next time I open the inventory the cursor is not on the same item/tab. It's all over the place. I've only eaten raw meat by mistake a few times and this menu bug is one reason why.

This already exits though...
But frankly I really dislike that this sort of handholding kind of safety net has wormed its way into the game.
In its current form it's an interrupt prompt when making selections from the food radial menu.

Frankly, I think the better answer would be for players to pay more attention to what they're doing.
I think if the player misclicks... or otherwise just isn't paying attention to what they are doing, then I think the player should be punished for that.

It's the same thing with accidently wasting matches or accidently hip firing the revolver... all the player really needs to do is pay more attention and these sorts of mistakes will rarely ever happen (my personal experience can attest to that).

Raph said a long time ago that this game wasn't going to be holding the player's hand, and even though a few little handholding type of safety nets have wormed in over the years... it's largely still a game that's not afraid to punish players for their mistakes.  Frankly, it's one of the things I love and respect most about this game.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Anyway... that's just my perspective.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I ate raw fish last week, my controllers fault this time😁.    But as long as you have the meds to treat it  ,I don't see it as a problem.. it's part of the challenge .

I have to agree with @Stranzua about the menu though...  Especially when harvesting spent torches.. I'm always having to scroll down to the bottom because it sets itself halfway down the list and not where you left it... 

All the times I've eaten raw meat I've never had that warning... I've had it once with fish though..

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

@Leeanda
Fair enough, I hadn't considered hardware failure.

Odd... you say these times you were selecting from the Radial Menu?  
I ask, because that interrupt does not happen if we are selecting food from the regular inventory screen.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
Fair enough, I hadn't considered hardware failure.

Odd... you say these times you were selecting from the Radial Menu?  
I ask, because that interrupt does not happen if we are selecting food from the regular inventory screen.

No...  I hardly ever use the radial menu...   Except light,beds and pass time... I don't think I've ever used it for food.    

Food poisoning is why lol...

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

On 2/16/2024 at 1:36 PM, ManicManiac said:

For any curious when this was implemented:

I think they removed it. Recently I opened up the menu and the cursor was on bear meat and I ate it by accident. Definitely no warning. Surprisingly I didn't get intestinal parasites despite the 75% chance.

Edited by Stranzua

Anything that would be difficult to do in real life should also be difficult to do in the game. Who on earth opens their fridge and accidentally eats raw meat? In real life you have many indications that it's raw, how it feels when you touch it, how it feels in your mouth, how it tastes, and your memory of where you've put things.

The game puts things wherever it wants, there is no taste, no texture, and no way to stop(the bad effects) once you've started. You cannot pay attention to it like you can IRL so adding a box would give back some of what a game cannot do.

Anyways raw meat should 100% have a confirmation box, especially since raw meat in the game is vastly more deadly than raw meat in the real world.

• Upvote 2

There's actually a couple other problems here too.  First, the radial menu does not respect it's own boundaries.  So if you are in the center of the radial, but the center button text is not highlighted, and you click, you are actually clicking one of the radial items.  This is a bug.  Additionally, there is a failure of design with the click and double-click.  You double-click to pick up an item, and you double-click when moving between inventory and a container, so intuitively a double-click when in inventory would drop an item.  However, double-clicking a food item eats it.  Gotten sick a few times doing this accidentally meaning to drop a 0% food item.  This design failure exists in the use of the bow as well.  Right-click should pull back and aim, left-click shoot, just like all other weapons.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Somewhat recently, HL reworked the textures on meat.  For me, this change made it harder to distinguish raw from cooked meat (in particular bear).  I wish they would make them more apparent.

Agreed...  I have trouble telling them apart too...  I know it tells you they're cooked if you click on them on the ground ,but white writing on white ground makes it difficult to see.

• Upvote 1

I took a look at my collection of raw meat (mostly all ruined) and found that the titling of the forms follow two conventions.

There is (for exampled) Ruined Venison Raw and there is Ruined Bear Meat (also raw but notice the difference in how the item is titled).

When cooked, these become (note enough time has passed) Ruined Venison Cooked and Ruined Bear Meat Cooked.  I believe moose meat follows the bear's titling convention.  I didn't have wolf meat handy.  

The naming conventions should be consistent.  Raw "Ruined Bear Meat" should be Ruined Bear Meat Raw or Ruined Bear Raw.  It would be helpful to stick to one convention.  Of course, there is no accounting for someone being unwary or careless but maybe the game could help in that tiny aspect.  

• Upvote 4

It is absurd that in the game it has ever been possible to accidentally eat half a kilogram of raw meat. This would necessarily be a game mechanic flaw. Same as if you were trying to skin a carcass and “accidentally” ate it. Pretending that this is reasonable and that a safeguard against it happening is “handholding” is just nasty.

On 3/4/2024 at 12:51 PM, dahemac said:

It is absurd that in the game it has ever been possible to accidentally eat half a kilogram of raw meat. This would necessarily be a game mechanic flaw. Same as if you were trying to skin a carcass and “accidentally” ate it. Pretending that this is reasonable and that a safeguard against it happening is “handholding” is just nasty.

I'm not sure if you're against or for "handholding"/warning?

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 9:52 AM, CrazyLazyCat said:

yes, this is so much needed. Got the disease twice, I'm now so afraid to even click on raw meet in my inventory that I sometimes drop the item before it so it select automatically the raw meet without need to click on it.

I also just caught my second round of parasites because I accidentally picked up and ate raw meat from the ground. Frantically hitting escape did not help of course :/

I would love a warning before eating raw meat and find it a bit infuriating that you get a warning before eating ruined meat (which harmless in comparison because it only gives you a bad stomach for a night) but no warning when you are at risk of having 2/3 of a month ruined because now you are tasked to chase down whatever reishi remains in the region.

The controls aren't awful...  What's wrong with them all?   I manage perfectly well with most things and the things I have trouble with are caused by my lousy eyesight not the game.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, flabbergasted said:

I would love a warning before eating raw meat and find it a bit infuriating that you get a warning before eating ruined meat

As mentioned previously in this thread...

On 2/16/2024 at 12:23 PM, ManicManiac said:

This already exits though...
But frankly I really dislike that this sort of handholding kind of safety net has wormed its way into the game.
In its current form it's an interrupt prompt when making selections from the food radial menu.

Frankly, I think the better answer would be for players to pay more attention to what they're doing.
I think if the player misclicks... or otherwise just isn't paying attention to what they are doing, then I think the player should be punished for that.

It's the same thing with accidently wasting matches or accidently hip firing the revolver... all the player really needs to do is pay more attention and these sorts of mistakes will rarely ever happen (my personal experience can attest to that).

Raph said a long time ago that this game wasn't going to be holding the player's hand, and even though a few little handholding type of safety nets have wormed in over the years... it's largely still a game that's not afraid to punish players for their mistakes.  Frankly, it's one of the things I love and respect most about this game.

On 2/16/2024 at 12:36 PM, ManicManiac said:

ver 1.36
Released 27 August 2018
HIGHLIGHTED FIXES:
[ALL] Added new pop-up warning to prevent players from accidentally Eating Raw Meat or Fish when selecting them from the Radial menu.

So this bit of handholding is already there...  For all the rest of the mistakes people make (and complain about), I think the better answer is for folks to pay attention to what they are doing... and accept the consequences of their own mistakes. :) 

Anyway... that's just my perspective.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

@flabbergasted, I understand what you were talking about... and to that point I had said:

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

For all the rest of the mistakes people make (and complain about), I think the better answer is for folks to pay attention to what they are doing... and accept the consequences of their own mistakes. :) 

I do understand the frustration in dealing with the consequences of our mistakes, but I don't think the right answer is for there to be more handholding mechanisms to "save the player from themselves."  I think the onus should be on us (the players) to pay better attention and accept the consequences of our mistakes.  I don't think Hinterland should be expected to "correct" a what I'd posit is simply a "player issue."

Anyway, I'm not here to get into a protracted argument/debate... so that end: I've said my piece, and I stand by it. :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1