Most common slang used in The Long Dark?

Hi folks, I'm creating a slang dictionary page for The Long Dark Wiki. I know of several unofficial terms that are widely used by the community, but I'm sure there's others that I'm missing. Here are a few I know:

• All the common region abbreviations.
  • Deadman: Interloper with no passive regen or birchbark tea.
  • Gunloper: Interloper with firearms enabled.
  • Sleepy-eye: Tiredness meter.
  • Wolf-Bonker: Heavy Hammer.

Any others? I'm sure I'm missing lots.

• Upvote 1

This is brilliant! I've thought about doing this too, but knew I'd never get around to it. There are a few different abbreviations used for Blackrock and Broken Railroad, because they share initials. I started seeing BK recently, which I assume is Blackrock.

Some more off the top of my head:

• Deadworld: a run with no live animal spawns
  • NOGOA: the No One Gets Out Alive challenge - a specific custom file that has all the settings on their most harsh and spawns you at midnight in a blizzard
  • Outerloper: an Interloper run with the self-imposed restriction of not entering any buildings
  • Mag lens day: blue sky weather that enables the use of the magnifying lens to start a fire
  • Starvation strategy: starving during the day, then eating only enough at night to sleep and regain the lost condition. Saves on calories
  • Thief strategy: driving a deer into a wolf / luring a wolf into a deer, so the wolf kills the deer, then scaring the wolf off and claiming the dead deer
  • Aggro: a predator is 'aggroing' you when it has noticed you and starts to stalk you
  • Stink: the scent meter
  • Grey Mum's/Mom's: the large Milton House in Mountain Town, home to Grey Mother in WINTERMUTE
  • Timbies/T-wolves: timberwolves (might be too obvious)
  • Loper: Interloper (also might be too obvious)
  • Jiggling teas: picking up and replacing teas and other reheatable food around the fire so they won't burn
  • Microharvesting: harvesting and cooking very small amounts of meat at a time to artificially increase harvesting and cooking skills (not really possible since Buried Echoes update)
  • Goating / mountain goating: climbing and traversing rock walls or other steep areas without an intentional path, e.g. climbing down a rope climb area without using the rope
  • Naked meat mile: dropping heavy inventory, including clothes, to retrieve massive amounts of meat (or meat bags after quartering) without becoming overburdened
  • Fluffy, Scruffy and Sketchy: names of specific wolves that spawn in specific indoor locations
  • Torch walk: walking outside without a weapon, using only torches for protection
  • Torch chaining: having a large supply of torches and using one to light the next
  • Stick north: the direction a stick points when dropped from the inventory. It always points the same way.

Some terms that are not TLD specific I had to learn, like 'loot table', because I'm not a gamer in general. Other terms might be worth including like RNG since we use it a lot.

Edited by xanna
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I've always used BRR for Broken RailRoad and BR for BlackRock, although I think I'm in the minority.

I've been using BR and BRM for Broken Railroad and Black Rock Mountain, respectively, mostly because it was usually BR here before BRM was introduced.

That said, BRR and BRM make sense as ways to refer to them post Ep. 4.

Just now, hozz1235 said:

I've always used BRR for Broken RailRoad and BR for BlackRock, although I think I'm in the minority.

That's what I see most often, I think.

Others I've seen: BP (Blackrock Prison/Penetentiary), BRP (BlackRock Prison), BK (BlackrocK)

I find the name of this intimidating region pretty funny because I live in Dublin and there's a very sedate quite posh suburb here called Blackrock. It definitely does not have a prison. Or wolves.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Goletitout said:

I’ve always called  Timberwolf Mountain Timbo mountain.Ash cannon is Ashy Can   And I always refer to the wolves as Dogs lol 

Similarly, to me Bleak Inlet will always be Blinlet.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I call it a crowbar too..  I thought that was just an English term..

Hm… TLD is the only context where I’ve seen it referred to as a prybar… I’ve called it a crowbar ever since I started playing Half Life when I was 7 or so :D.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

Hm… TLD is the only context where I’ve seen it referred to as a prybar… I’ve called it a crowbar ever since I started playing Half Life when I was 7 or so :D.

I thought the US used it too...🤔.    

There's never one around when you need one though lol..

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, acada said:

I like the camel case. Maybe we can call it blackRock('prison')

Now you've said that I noticed I don't use the capital for broken but I do BlackRock..       I think my brains rebelling against mixing English and  text speak lol..  blackRock suits me ,autocorrect may take some time to adjust though..😁

• Like 1

Glad you liked my contributions.

Some suggestions:

Please add BRM and BRP.

Add HTL to mean Hinterland, as I see that in the community as much as HL.

Your definition of Hibernation Strat and Starvation strat look very similar. If they're the same, better to make them the same and say 'also known as'. If they're different, rewrite to make the difference clearer.

'Aggro' isn't a noun, it's a verb. It's not what we call the wolf, it's what the wolf is doing.

'Stick north' is a noun, not a verb, it is the direction, not the act of finding the direction.

Worth adding to Fluffy that she lives in Carter Dam in earlier versions.

I don't think your definition of loot table is correct. It's not a literal list of loot spawns so much as it is the set of loot spawns available on a particular run. ie, the table in the code used to determine where things spawn, unseen (but inferred) by the player. I don't know if TLD still uses loot tables since the loot refresh. Might be easiest to just omit this one?

I don't tbink we should include vocabulary that is very general eg crowbar/prybar, wolf/dog, bird/ptarmigan. If someone doesn't know the word crowbar, general dictionaries already tell them and it's not slang or argot, it's a regional difference. 'bird' is not slang, and noone will need to look it up, people know what birds are. Besides, it means crows as much as ptarmigans, based on context.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, xxfinebeanzxx said:

pardon my french admins but I call wolves bitch when ever they get pissy with me and growl at me

I call the rifle a Lee Enfield and the revolver either a Smith & Wesson or a model 75 as it reminds me of the American police revolver.

Edited by xxfinebeanzxx
  • Like 1