Insulated flask QoL changes

SirusFIN

I think it's kind of anoying to always to take the thing i'm storing in the insulated flask out drink/eat it so change #1, make so that you could eat and drink strait from the flask. The second change would be bit unrealistic but it would be a major quality of life improvement in my oppinion, you should be able to heat up the things in side the flask with out taking them out, just plant the flask near a active fire and it should heat up and depending on the ammount of things stored there the warming time would be longer or shorter.

do you guys agree with this? do you have something to add? i'm intrested how others feel about this.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, SirusFIN said:

I think it's kind of anoying to always to take the thing i'm storing in the insulated flask out drink/eat it so change #1, make so that you could eat and drink strait from the flask. The second change would be bit unrealistic but it would be a major quality of life improvement in my oppinion, you should be able to heat up the things in side the flask with out taking them out, just plant the flask near a active fire and it should heat up and depending on the ammount of things stored there the warming time would be longer or shorter.

do you guys agree with this? do you have something to add? i'm intrested how others feel about this.

Agee on the first but not the second maybe a compromise suggestion you can make larger quantities of drinks in the skillet/pot so you could potentially reheat up to half a gallon of tea/coffee

another suggestion I’d offer up I’d have the flask be in the food/drink tab not the equipment tab 

either it’s fast decay or not repairable is a bug admin told me to report and I have 

• Upvote 1

I looked at how the flask stores its contents and each particular drink is kept discrete from every other drink in the flask.  Since the flask keeps the drinks separate as items in the flask and the drinks can have different conditions, the ability to just "take a swig" from the flask would have been complex and so was not allowed. 

One could argue that the contents of the flask should all mix together with a condition depending on the condition of each drink put into the flask but the devs, apparently, didn't go that route and it was their discretion.  Treating the flask like compartmentalized storage was probably easier to implement than one where each drink put in and whatever was taken out, in whatever quantity, had some effect on the condition of the contents.  

• Upvote 2

My memory of those kinds of flasks is that taking a swig would be a no-no because it would be far too hot (even worse with a cold face), so the tea is always poured out into a cup. This is my headcanon for the mechanic of taking a cup out and drinking one at a time.

• Upvote 2

On 12/11/2023 at 2:01 AM, Enigmaecho said:

maybe a compromise suggestion you can make larger quantities of drinks in the skillet/pot so you could potentially reheat up to half a gallon of tea/coffee

This makes sense for realism, but (for reheating) we can put a huge number around most fires and reheat them that way, and that would be a quicker reheat time than the whole lot in a pot. Plus we'd have to have a mechanic for adding several cold teas into the pot, which we don't currently have - I imagine it'd be basically like the flask's mechanic.

I'm honestly fine with having to take the drinks out and pouring a good ol' cuppa, fits with headcanon of squatting down somewhere out of the way and having a nice warm beverage to keep the spirits up during the tough journeys ahead. It's a tool you use on rest breaks, not designed for speedrunning the maps, I reckon.

My only QoL wish is that the warmth would last just a bit longer when outside. It's cool that it's 6+ hours when inside but it's half that when roaming outside ( as per my limited testing ). I particularly think it should keep the warmth better if you fill all 8 slots with full teas.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge in thermodynamics, but if you have half of the flask filled with ambient temperature air, the overall heat ( energy ) is half of that when there's 8 boiling teas inside. Of course, liquids are better heat conductors than air, so it wouldn't be double heat retention as surface area of the flask lining now has boiling liquid instead of air to cope with, but, my ape brain would think that this relationship would not be linear and positive in the sense that the high energy flask would retain heat better than the half filled flask. 

Damn, now I want to make two liters of coffee and fill one thermos full and have the other be partially filled to test IRL. Seems like a reasonable pursuit for 10PM at night. 😁

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dan_ said:

I'm honestly fine with having to take the drinks out and pouring a good ol' cuppa, fits with headcanon of squatting down somewhere out of the way and having a nice warm beverage to keep the spirits up during the tough journeys ahead. It's a tool you use on rest breaks, not designed for speedrunning the maps, I reckon.

My only QoL wish is that the warmth would last just a bit longer when outside. It's cool that it's 6+ hours when inside but it's half that when roaming outside ( as per my limited testing ). I particularly think it should keep the warmth better if you fill all 8 slots with full teas.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge in thermodynamics, but if you have half of the flask filled with ambient temperature air, the overall heat ( energy ) is half of that when there's 8 boiling teas inside. Of course, liquids are better heat conductors than air, so it wouldn't be double heat retention as surface area of the flask lining now has boiling liquid instead of air to cope with, but, my ape brain would think that this relationship would not be linear and positive in the sense that the high energy flask would retain heat better than the half filled flask. 

Damn, now I want to make two liters of coffee and fill one thermos full and have the other be partially filled to test IRL. Seems like a reasonable pursuit for 10PM at night. 😁

It’s not the worst thing to have to pull them out before drinking but currently it does feel a little cumbersome having it in tools and not food and drink imo, while it makes sense as it is an item, when there is 85 other things in your inventory it’s a pain to find sometimes 

On 12/10/2023 at 7:27 AM, SirusFIN said:

Disagree 100% based on realism. When I use my Thermos IRL, I never drink straight from the flask. It's too hot!! I always pour some into a cup and drink from there.

Edit: well I suppose maybe if it were a day old and cold I'd drink from the flask sure, but that's a lot of coding for comparitively little gain IMO.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Couldnt find the correct thread about thermos health so ill put it here. 

The termos does actually loose condition when unused. 

I have put mine on display and I have noticed it looses 1% condition by just sitting there. It takes about 2-3ingame weeks but I have confirmed it does. I have put it in storage container to see if it will degrade as well. 

That is obviously not intended right @Admin ¿? 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 10:46 PM, UTC-10 said:

I looked at how the flask stores its contents and each particular drink is kept discrete from every other drink in the flask.  Since the flask keeps the drinks separate as items in the flask and the drinks can have different conditions, the ability to just "take a swig" from the flask would have been complex and so was not allowed. 

One could argue that the contents of the flask should all mix together with a condition depending on the condition of each drink put into the flask but the devs, apparently, didn't go that route and it was their discretion.  Treating the flask like compartmentalized storage was probably easier to implement than one where each drink put in and whatever was taken out, in whatever quantity, had some effect on the condition of the contents.  

They could make it so when you drink strait from the flask it would eighter drink one at random from the flask or it would take the loves condition or the first in order or something like that

On 12/10/2023 at 2:27 PM, SirusFIN said:

The second change would be bit unrealistic.

And fancy cups spawning from nowhere anytime you make coffe or tea are realistic? ;) 
Yeah it would work better like water tank. 

On 12/10/2023 at 2:27 PM, SirusFIN said:

you should be able to heat up the things in side the flask with out taking them out

Disagree here. Insulated flask is insulated. It keeps hot in but it keeps hot out too. And keeping it by fire would probably just destroy it. 

My headache is that in game it keeps heat for few hours maybe, making it just useless, pretty thing to carry. Irl I'm using preety cheap flask and if I pour hot water at morning I still can make weak tea with it next morning.

My biggest wish with the thermos is that it would retain heat better. I think that you should be able to fill with hot drinks at dawn and they would remain hot until say mid afternoon. So 8ish hours.

As it is you fill with hot coffee, and also drink a hit coffee, then set off. When the warming buff wears off I can get another hot coffee. However, by the time that warming buff wears off the remaining drinks are cold. Whats the point of loading 8 hot drinks only to be able to drink one, maybe 2 before the rest are cold?????

Edited by Cattleman
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Cattleman said:

My biggest wish with the thermos is that it would retain heat better. I think that you should be able to fill with hot drinks at dawn and they would remain hot until say mid afternoon. So 8ish hours.

As it is you fill with hot coffee, and also drink a hit coffee, then set off. When the warming buff wears off I can get another hot coffee. However, by the time that warming buff wears off the remaining drinks are cold. Whats the point of loading 8 hot drinks only to be able to drink one, maybe 2 before the rest are cold?????

I think it's a lot better than that.  Filling the flask with 8 hot drinks, it'll stay warm for 5 to 6 in-game hours.  If you're walking a long distance, you likely won't use all 8 before the flask is cold, but you'll certainly have time to use more than one or two.  How many you drink depends on how cold it is outside and how long you're in the cold.  If it's early morning and very cold and you're freezing in no time, you might drink more just to keep from freezing (without waiting for the warming buff to wear off each time).  If the weather is warmer, you might not need a hot drink for some time, then time passes and suddenly the flask is cold but it seems like it got cold quickly because you didn't drink much from it.

I've typically had the opposite experience of most of the complaints.  I've filled the flask with hot drinks and traveled quite a while, at times forgetting I have the flask, then finding that it still has hot drinks in it.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Upvote 1