Why is the weather so good?

Sir Major M.oos.E Sr.

Recently Interloper Astrid spawned into the world of GB to conquer the canadian wilderness yet again.

After she had done some Astrid things for quiet a while she started to notice that the weather has been way better than it used to be in any of her past adventures.

In fact the temps were about -15C to -20C and with her 20C warmth bonus she wasn't barely freezing at all. Even in the early morning.

In 30 Days there have been only 8 blizzards occured. Actually there was hardly any wind. A lot of fog but no wind. As well as no auroras. That cant be right, can it?

Unable to figure out if it had to be like this or if the entire world was wrong or if it was just herself she now hopes other adventures and conqueres might have answers to that or experienced a similar journey. ☠️

On the flip side, I've had a run recently, where the weather was much worse than normal and I've watched one streamer who found that they hit a run (I believe it was on stalker difficulty) where they got almost constant blizzards (about 4 in a row IIRC).  Random is random - sometimes when you roll dice you get streaks of the same numbers coming up.

16 hours ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

Weather gets worse over time, so when you first spawn in the weather will be much better in comparison to an older run of 50 or 100 days 

Does it really worsen that quickly??  Guess I never really noticed too much.

Can you imagine the weather on a 3,000 day loper run?  It would be interesting to see the calculation used for it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Can you imagine the weather on a 3,000 day loper run?  It would be interesting to see the calculation used for it.

The weather does get worse over time on some difficulty settings, but not on all of them.  It's also can be changed in the custom menu.  As I understand it, it also has a cap (I believe somewhere around 50 to 100 days), so a 3,000-day loper run would not be any colder than a 100-day one.

28 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

As I understand it, it also has a cap (I believe somewhere around 50 to 100 days), so a 3,000-day loper run would not be any colder than a 100-day one.

Hmmm...that's misleading.  "World gets colder over time", to me, means continually gets colder.  That would make long runs that much more difficult.

1 minute ago, hozz1235 said:

Hmmm...that's misleading.  "World gets colder over time", to me, means continually gets colder.  That would make long runs that much more difficult.

I'd say on a run that long you'd have no chance to survive those temps.. 

Fortunately it doesnt seem to be general issue.

Astrid spawned herself into a fresh world and is now constantly freezing 2 arrows down (temps~ -20C to -35C) with an 17C warmth bonus. 18 blizzards in 27 days (a little below average) and a constant slight breeze in her face thats slows her down to slowmotion speed as well as auroras every time she has to travell at night with smelly fresh guts in her pack. :|

On a few occasions in the late afternoon she's actually warming up outside when she's in wind shelter and carring a torch.

So it must have been either the global warming or the super rare 0.01% rng in the other world.

Though Astrid is still a little suspicious on that warm afternoons since they seem to happen a little too often as well as hypothermia once she got cold seems to develop quicker as it used to be.

Another thing that happend was (if it wasn't a hallucination due to hypothermia) some of the mushroom logs that spawn 3 mushrooms had only two and spawned a another single one after she had gone through a loading screen.

There might have been some slight changes going on 🤨

Still Astrid doesn't have enough evidence to proof that but the case will be further investigated 🕵️‍♀️

Indeed the temps drop a few degrees beyond day 50 but wind intensity and blizzard frequenzy are pretty constant right from the beginning.

The maximum negative temp is -271C or so. At that point atoms cant move anymore 🥶

Edited by Sir Major M.oos.E Sr.
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

That's what I understand (mostly from streamers who have commented on it in the past) - there is a point where, even in Loper, the world doesn't get any colder.  Some have said at 50 days, others at 100 days - so take your pick on that or take it with a grain of salt.  I think it's only reasonable that the setting would not allow for the world to get infinitely colder.

As you know, I seldom take any run beyond 50 days.  From my own experience, I can verify that it does seem to get colder on average over time within the first 50 days when the settings in custom for "World gets colder over time" are set to either low, medium, or high; and it doesn't when set to none.

Sadly, that is correct, weather maxes out circa day 50, it never gets any colder than that. And by max values it's still pretty mild even with all Custom settings put to max.

The only way to make it colder is to run the great Relentless Night mod, where you can max it out -120 celcius and have interiors affected, make the end game truly special.

relentless87.png

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 2

On 11/9/2023 at 3:45 PM, hozz1235 said:

Weather has a maximum "worseness". On voyager and stalker (i think) you reach the worst weather possible after 200 days
On interloper, you reach the worst possible weather after 50 days

This is so interesting. I had always assumed that the max coldness was over a much longer period. My current long run is about 170 days and I swear it's still getting colder, but it is easy for my imagination to project that, it's not like I'm taking notes. I also start my longer runs by doing the warmer maps - Mystery Lake, Mountain Town etc - so my experience is still getting colder over time as I wait till later game to go to Forsaken Arifield or other extra-wintry places. I'm pretty relieved to learn that my game is not still getting colder!

There are four options for the World Gets Colder Over Time setting: None, Low, Medium and High. It's not clear if they affect the rate at which the world gets colder, or the length of time that the rate is in effect for before it maxes out. From what's been said above, it sounds like it's probably a bit of both.

On 11/10/2023 at 5:10 PM, xanna said:

There are four options for the World Gets Colder Over Time setting: None, Low, Medium and High. It's not clear if they affect the rate at which the world gets colder, or the length of time that the rate is in effect for before it maxes out. From what's been said above, it sounds like it's probably a bit of both.

I believe this is one of those settings, which due to randomness and the variability of weather, would be very difficult for us users to figure out.

On 11/10/2023 at 6:42 PM, BugReportEnthusiast said:

Weather has a maximum "worseness". On voyager and stalker (i think) you reach the worst weather possible after 200 days
On interloper, you reach the worst possible weather after 50 days

That's right. That's why it's so important too hustle in the first 30 days, to get good clothes, cure hides and guts, and get a good collection of clothes.

If you are not fully equipped at day 50, you can barely move any distance outside.

-t

• Like 1