Oats quantity for porridge

• 3 weeks later...

The game has had a long time problem with displaying accurate numbers. They can be off by 0.01 from what they should be.  

I have had full lanterns that ostensibly had 0.99 liters and lantern fuel bottles that had 0.49 liter though when it came to the refilling screen the lantern would have 1.00 liters and the lantern fuel bottle would have 0.50 liters.  

I took a look at your posts and realize that, in this case, the discrepancy between what the inventory screen shows (i.e. 0.10 kg) and what the recipe screen shows (0.09 kg, in red) would be a more serious problem.  Should be reported for it does affect actual game play (if one uses Frontier Cooking a lot). 

1 hour ago, UTC-10 said:

The game has had a long time problem with displaying accurate numbers. They can be off by 0.01 from what they should be.  

I have had full lanterns that ostensibly had 0.99 liters and lantern fuel bottles that had 0.49 liter though when it came to the refilling screen the lantern would have 1.00 liters and the lantern fuel bottle would have 0.50 liters.  

I took a look at your posts and realize that, in this case, the discrepancy between what the inventory screen shows (i.e. 0.10 kg) and what the recipe screen shows (0.09 kg, in red) would be a more serious problem.  Should be reported for it does affect actual game play (if one uses Frontier Cooking a lot). 

I can confirm the exact same problem with oats.  I have .10 kg in inventory, but the cooking screen is only recognizing.09.  I think you're right that it's probably related to the same rounding error that's long been in the game.  It is annoying since I hate to see anything go to waste and these little bits left over will likely spoil before I find more of the same to combine with it to perhaps use up some of it.

• 3 weeks later...

One way to work around the exactness of quantity might be for the recipe to allow for less than normal amounts but not at player discretion.  Require 0.10 kg of oats?  The recipe would accept 0.09 kg of oats as acceptable with no other impact to the output generated.  It just won't be at the discretion of the player.  This would allow for the imprecision of the way the game handles numbers when it matters but not allow a player to game the system - cooking porridge nine times (at 0.09 each) to be able to stretch the oats for one additional serving (at 0.09).  

The problem with imprecision of numbers has been around for quite a while and it might be easier to modify the recipe algorithm slightly than to hunt down and fix the wider problem.  

• Upvote 1

I have the same problem. It seems to be a generic rounding error. A common workaround for that on the programming side is to use integers at the back end, and only divide them to float when showing on the screen. For all other calculations it should be maintained as an integer (in grams for eg) If at the back end it is an integer, there will be no rounding error.

Salt has similar issues, I've got 0.01kg of salt that is apparently 0.0099 and rounded up or something, because it's completely unusable. Looks fine, looks like 0.01kg, but doesn't actually work!

Simple solution would be a failsafe that tries to use the 0.01, but if there is less than 0.01 remaining but not a perfect 0.00 then it just uses up whatever's left and calls it good. Same with flour and oats. Yeah it's exploitable, but c'mon a free bowl of oatmeal isn't liable to make or break anyone's run.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...