Strange interaction between Warm-able foods and campfires

BugReportEnthusiast

I was testing some fire-related stuff when i noticed this.

If you warm up pre-made foods such as cups of coffee or tea you find around the world, the game thinks you've "cooked" these items instead of warming them up, and it'll grant you a cooking skill point.

This is true for all items that can be warmed up near a campfire. Stews, coffees, teas, etc that haven't been created by the player will yield cooking skill increases when warmed up near or on a campfire.

So... yeah. It seems that warming up any item for the first time, even if it's already cooked and ready to eat like stews or coffee will give you cooking skill points.
Probably unintentional, but it's a cool trick to have up your sleeve i suppose

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

Screenshot_5.png

I just encountered this situation yesterday. I cooked a can of peaches on a stove, then moved it to the ground where it continued warming until it didn’t show time until burning; it just said “Hot”. Out of curiosity, I moved it back to the stove and it immediately turned into inedible burnt stuff :D.

One of my tried and true methods for raising cooking skill had always been to "drop" canned food near a fire.  The can-opening sequence would happen and once it was "cooked", I could pick it up for a point.  It would never burn.  Recently, they changed that to where it would burn :(

Pretty sure that the thing about canned food burning when placed next to the stove is a bug. Let it heat up to where it says "x minutes until burned" then right click move it a wee bit, it'll change to say "ready in x minutes" then when it gets there it'll say "hot" and it won't burn, even if you run the fire for days. 

ETA: also, if you wait long enough it'll stop saying "hot" and say "cold", and you won't be able to get it to change to "ready in", but if you then drink it it will give the warmth bonus.

Edited by stratvox
added more deets about item behaviour.

• 1 month later...