I would like to be able to read while in a bedroll

Asinine

I've always wondered why we can't read in bedrolls, but I never actually stopped to think... we should be able to read while in a bedroll!

So I would like to request this feature.

(Or read in a bed, etc.)

Edited by Asinine
Beds too!
  • Upvote 6
  • Like 2

Interactive reading would be a fantastic mechanic. I’d love to have some pass time mechanic like that where game time was accelerated while you were reading, whittling is something I think would fit well too if we could have a “sit and whittle” pass time animation. Was thinking about this earlier today actually, we spend a decent amount of time on that function (especially going to bed already rested) it would be wonderful to have that be one of the targets for the first person perspectives changes they mentioned 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I think @Leeanda mentioned on a similar wishlist post some other games that use free libraries to add classics which is also a cool idea, think about it, you find a copy of Moby Dick in the boat that sometimes washes up in desolation point, or maybe a copy of Robinson Crusoe or Swiss family Robison, or even something more nonfiction like the works of John Muir or Horace Kephart so many  great classics 😊 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Enigmaecho said:

I think @Leeanda mentioned on a similar wishlist post some other games that use free libraries to add classics which is also a cool idea, think about it, you find a copy of Moby Dick in the boat that sometimes washes up in desolation point, or maybe a copy of Robinson Crusoe or Swiss family Robison, or even something more nonfiction like the works of John Muir or Horace Kephart so many  great classics 😊 

I did put more books on the wish lists when I first joined the forum...   Not more skill books but just something to read in increments while waiting for blizzards to finish etc.. I'd still like that.  😊

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

@Asinine

So is the idea to be able to read while taking advantage of the bed/bedroll warmth bonus?

Obviously! If I have to warm back up, might as well read a book while doing so.

The idea of extraneous classics would be fun too, though I'd likely skip them after a while. Might give more to do for those folks who continue past 500+ days.

• Upvote 1

I love the idea of being able to sit in a bed while researching--a mixture of the "pass time" mechanic and reading skill books. As long as you don't recover any Rest while reading in bed, I think that would be perfectly reasonable!

• Upvote 3

The kind of reading that the survivor does in TLD is more studying than just reading, that's how I justify not being able to read when afflicted. I could physically read a book while dangerously dehydrated, but perhaps I wouldn't be able to take much in and actually increase my understanding and skill.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, xanna said:

The kind of reading that the survivor does in TLD is more studying than just reading, that's how I justify not being able to read when afflicted.

@Leeanda had brought up having other (non-study) books to read to pass time as well. I can see not studying while afflicted, but if they had extraneous books, it could effectively pass time... if the actual player wanted to actually read to pass time.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2023 at 10:23 AM, xanna said:

The kind of reading that the survivor does in TLD is more studying than just reading, that's how I justify not being able to read when afflicted. I could physically read a book while dangerously dehydrated, but perhaps I wouldn't be able to take much in and actually increase my understanding and skill.

Agreed it makes sense that if you are afflicted you do not have the focus to read however aside from having a more interactive way to pass time and something more to strive to collect they could use it as a balance to other afflictions, maybe reading to pass time staves off cabin fever or reduces insomnia or they could eve slide in the Darkwalker afflictions of anxiety and fears and reading or other pass times could help fight cure or prevent them

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2023 at 6:38 PM, Enigmaecho said:

Interactive reading would be a fantastic mechanic. I’d love to have some pass time mechanic like that where game time was accelerated while you were reading, whittling is something I think would fit well too if we could have a “sit and whittle” pass time animation. Was thinking about this earlier today actually, we spend a decent amount of time on that function (especially going to bed already rested) it would be wonderful to have that be one of the targets for the first person perspectives changes they mentioned 

This would be so cool! You could just have kind of audiobooks, so voice would "sound in your head" while you walk (and might even be selected depending on your region).

I would happily pay 5-10 Euro for DLC with contents like this. Especially If I could choose from several DLCs, depending on what actor is reading them. I'd be happy if there would be options for people like Morgan Freeman or Jennifer Lawrence 🙂 

• Upvote 2