More Guns!

SuperStriker16

I was thinking, the bear spear or something like it could work but until they implement that, maybe they could add getting in a stance with a hatchet, knife, and the heavy hammer. These stances would slowly drain stamina and would give you a massive edge in a struggle if in a quick time event you would have like half a second to press right trigger/right click or whatever computer players use. If you get the timing right and depending on your fatigue level, you could potentially end the struggle right there especially with the heavy hammer (that poor wolf’s skull). It would only work if you had the timing right and 2/3+ your fatigue, for the other weapons, it would have a chance to end the struggle immediately, if not it could give you an advantage in the struggle using the weapon that you had a stance with. Also it would be pretty cool just to walk around with a hatchet in your hand as you explore.

• Like 1

Nah, I don't like the idea of more guns. TLD to me is suppose to be a game where you have to be struggling against mother nature to live for another day, every second. Having a whole arsenal of manufactured firearms goes against that idea for me.

I'm in more favor of adding handmade "D.I.Y" weapons. I suggested adding a crossbow in the past, which in short would serve as an middle ground between a rifle and a bow. Other things like that are more of what I have in mind, such as a rock sling, a slingshot, spear... etc. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, SuperStriker16 said:

@FaT McMarlin Your right, but mabye have all 3

birdshot for varmint and of course birds. 

buckshot mostly for self defense but could be used for hunting.

slugs of course for killing bears and moose

Now that I think of it, we don’t need the .338 as long as they add slugs, they would serve a similar purpose, and still work at range due to it not spreading. To craft a slug you could just use a entire lead scrap, expensive but effective.

Slugs all day lol.

@ajb1978 said the hunting spear was what they wanted, and honestly, I wouldn't craft any other weapons if spears were an option. Weather you craft Fir into a light fire hardened spear for wolves and deer, useless against bears and moose. And a forged variant that will kill a moose or bear. 

• Upvote 2

@FaT McMarlinI like the idea of crafted spears, I was just saying that in the meantime it would be good to use your weapons that you have already until they implement the spear(s) 

@LunarLimeIm about to make a part 2 to this post about improvised firearms (zip guns), I already made a post on updating bows, and adding premade and crafted crossbows (longer range and more power than standard bows) and I like the idea of that as well.

19 minutes ago, SuperStriker16 said:

@FaT McMarlinI like the idea of crafted spears, I was just saying that in the meantime it would be good to use your weapons that you have already until they implement the spear(s) 

@LunarLimeIm about to make a part 2 to this post about improvised firearms (zip guns), I already made a post on updating bows, and adding premade and crafted crossbows (longer range and more power than standard bows) and I like the idea of that as well.

Are spears on the list of items they want to add to survival?

As much as I want a shotgun, I can see the other side as well. Ptarmigan don't really run from you at all. Fire arrows wipe them out.  A crafted spear similar to the one from Wintermute is possibly the only real addition that wouldn't change just the lower difficulties only. Interloper players would have access to it. It may seem weird coming from a Voyager player, but weapon addition should be balanced against Interloper. If it can't be feasibly adopted into the difficulty while being balanced, we probably don't need it in lower difficulties. You technically don't even need to shoot TW packs to break them. Literally throwing torches from a fire can do it. We're already spoiled as is. Game isn't easy to learn and you can freeze to death in a blizzard on Pilgrim.

• Upvote 3

If you are proposing a shotgun to help hunt Ptarmigans, a better (IMHO) alternative in the game already is the Fire-Hardened Arrow.  Sure, you need Archery 5 to use them while sneaking, but once you can, you can easily take a whole flock out while their buddies die right next to them.  You can sneak surprisingly close as well.

• Upvote 3

Fire hardened arrows are terrible if you need feathers since you can’t get many back (one per arrow) and I’m not much of a bow guy anyway. That is why I’d want the shotgun, and you would only be able to take out like 1 or 2 if you’re lucky, the others fly off shortly after the first arrow hits.

7 minutes ago, SuperStriker16 said:

Fire hardened arrows are terrible if you need feathers since you can’t get many back (one per arrow) and I’m not much of a bow guy anyway. That is why I’d want the shotgun, and you would only be able to take out like 1 or 2 if you’re lucky, the others fly off shortly after the first arrow hits.

Yeah, I guess if you're short on feathers...

8 minutes ago, SuperStriker16 said:

and you would only be able to take out like 1 or 2 if you’re lucky, the others fly off shortly after the first arrow hits.

Not true.  The FHAs don't scare them away, even when you miss an inch away.

• Upvote 1

@hozz1235It might be a bug then with that flock or the wiki is wrong about it, I was reading how to hunt ptarmigans on the fandom long dark wiki, and this is what it said:

Ptarmigans are killed instantly when shot with bows (including Fire Hardened Arrows) or firearms. The noise from a firearm will disturb the birds, causing them to flee. A kill with a bow will not disturb the other birds for a short time, allowing the player to pick off multiple birds. -long dark fandom wiki

Ptarmigans at level 5 Archery are practically a trip to the grocery store, same as level 5 Fishing anywhere. Just...point and click. Boom, dinner is served.

Granted it's not much of a dinner, unless you exploit the current state of the game and harvest it in 0.1kg increments, which you can then cook into full 1kg Cooked Ptarmigans.

Still quite astonished that an exploit like that made it into the game, but hey, jackpot for us.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, SuperStriker16 said:

@hozz1235It might be a bug then with that flock or the wiki is wrong about it, I was reading how to hunt ptarmigans on the fandom long dark wiki, and this is what it said:

Ptarmigans are killed instantly when shot with bows (including Fire Hardened Arrows) or firearms. The noise from a firearm will disturb the birds, causing them to flee. A kill with a bow will not disturb the other birds for a short time, allowing the player to pick off multiple birds. -long dark fandom wiki

I'm just speaking from my own experience.  I can easily take out a whole flock of 6 (the most I've seen) with FHAs, in a minute or 2.  I haven't experimented with taking longer to see if they fly away after a "short" amount of time, but still, IMO, it's the best way to maximize your hunting of them. To each their own!

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1

If we’re discussing adding new Firearms again, I’d better re-iterate my usual opinion.

standard disclaimer : any new items that could affect balance or immersion should have a very clear toggle to include/exclude when choosing region and setting up the sandbox - such that any new weapons or gear does not impact upon players who like the current balance and don’t want them.

I don’t want to see any new ‘Modern’ firearms added, so no added .338, no 9mm handguns, no pump-action shotgun.

however, I would very much be interested in seeing a Blackpowder musket introduced. Especially if you only find crafting plans for it ( perhaps in an 18th century survival book ). There is enough mechanics in the game to collect lead, blackpowder, metal, forge a musket barrel etc. to make it a massive challenge. Dismantle a lantern to improvise a lock plate from the sparker?
Flintlock shotguns were certainly used for bird-hunting in the 1700s, so there is the possibility of making it a blackpowder shotgun.

I’m always in favour of adding large crafting projects to TLD. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 10:03 PM, SuperStriker16 said:

@conanjaguar 

For the .338, I was thinking that the only place that you would find the ammo would be with the gun (in the house or location where you find it, there would be 20-50 rounds depending on difficulty), and for the shotgun shells, you would find some only in the most hunting themed locations like the ones I listed above and the small hunting shacks dotted randomly in the woods (such as draft dodgers cabin). They would spawn separately from rifle and revolver ammo so it doesn’t limit their spawns, but sense these rarer types of ammo only found in specific locations, it would be more balanced out. 

Thank you for your concern, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

the 12 gauge is a comin home defence gun

I don’t share your enthusiasm for firearms the bow does just fine and the existing firearms have place and purpose when needed. it’s already a bit too easy at times with current set, also Rifle plus pistol plus Ammo you’re already pushing 15lbs without the holster so another 10lb shotgun and two different anmo would be debilitating or you’d constantly be back tracking to get one or the other, I don’t even want another gun type for the cougar let us swing the torch around finally after 10 years or  make the noise makers scare them off if we’re going to get any more new weapons in my opinion let them be new traps for birds and big game to go with the snare and tip up and give us a trappers skill line 

Edited by Enigmaecho
Spelling

On 7/18/2023 at 4:28 PM, SuperStriker16 said:

I think they’re pretty great. You only get two back from a normal arrow? Plus you get 3 arrows for 5 feathers vs 1 arrow for 3 crafting, the fire hardened also don’t spook the ptarmigans if you miss the normal spooks the one you missed and everything else spooks the whole flock 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 7/16/2023 at 9:45 PM, SuperStriker16 said:

Ok I can understand that people think we have enough guns currently in TLD, especially with the new variants, which are cool and all but I’m talking about some fairly major changes that more guns could bring to the table, such as a bigger rifle that could take down a bear in one shot if it headshot at base rifle skill or a shotgun that could take out multiple rabbits or ptarmigans with one shot.

The Shotgun: now with ptarmigans in the game, having a shotgun added to the game would be very helpful for taking out as many as

I like the detail!  And I would love to see a wider range for hunting game and just as new loot.  
My personal fave is a lever action 45-70…. 

Have you considered a poll with a selection of possible firearms?

Then tag Admin

• Upvote 1