Why Does Peach Pie Give Me A Headache?

🤔 Frankly, I'm not really a fan of the idea of the new cooked food items giving buffs/afflictions... certainly not to the degree that we have peach pie giving folks a headache for eating desert. :D  I mean, I know that it maybe the idea is sort of keying off things like Go! Energy, Coffee, Herbal Tea, Pumpkin Pie, etc... but headaches for eating peach pie, kind of doesn't feel right (unless it gives some kind of amazing buff that I don't know about yet).

Do all the new food items (via recipes) come with buff/debuff effects?  Is this even intended that the Peach Pie give the Headache affliction?
Is it possibly a bug?
Has anyone done some research & science to sus that out?

:coffee::fire::coffee:
If it's intended, then fine... I'll accept it and adapt.
But if there is any chance that it's a bug... then I'd like to flag it for consideration. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

🤔 Frankly, I'm not really a fan of the idea of the new cooked food items giving buffs/afflictions... certainly not to the degree that we have peach pie giving folks a headache for eating desert. :D  I mean, I know that it maybe the idea is sort of keying off things like Go! Energy, Coffee, Herbal Tea, Pumpkin Pie, etc... but headaches for eating peach pie, kind of doesn't feel right.

Do all the new food items (via recipes) come with buff/debuff effects?  Is this even intended that the Peach Pie give the Headache affliction?  Is it possibly a bug?
Has anyone done some research & science to suss that out?

Most but not all of them have  one or the other, some give both I think...     Sadly not a bug but I find most of them to be very odd buffs/afflictions.

• Upvote 1

@Leeanda

Hmm... I suppose I'll have to spend time with the new recipes (once I find them) to really see how I feel about the tradeoffs.
I mean if they are giving really good buffs then perhaps the tradeoff maybe becomes worth it...

However, for those whom the visual distortion effect causes the player real issue... I think that falls in the same category as something where the visual effect of the affliction perhaps could be something toggled via Accessibility Settings.  Very much like the request for the Glimmer Fog effect being a "toggle-able" option for those whom that glimmer effect causes real problems.

@Admin
Has the team given any indication as to the list of possible Accessibility Options they are working on or considering?

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

Hmm... I suppose I'll have to spend time with the new recipes (once I find them) to really see how I feel about the tradeoffs.
I mean if they are giving really good buffs then perhaps the tradeoff maybe becomes worth it...

However, for those whom the visual distortion effect causes the player real issue... I think that falls in the same category as something where the visual effect of the affliction perhaps could be something toggled via Accessibility Settings.  Very much like the request for the Glimmer Fog effect being a "toggle-able" option for those whom that glimmer effect causes the player real issue.

@Admin
Has the team given any indication as to the list of possible Accessibility Options they are working on or considering?

I've only made a few of them ,I'm more limited without ptarmigans and some missing recipes so I'm not sure which does what.. except the peach pie. I know there's a list somewhere but haven't really looked. Plus I'm having to recheck every map for ingredients.  

If the afflictions are that bad I'd be inclined not to use them or just stick with the neutral ones.  

• Upvote 1

@Leeanda @ManicManiac. Ive crafted all the recipes and tbh I just like the simple Pigeon pie. It boosts carry weight by 3kgs for 3 hours. Super handy when climbing ropes and no negative effects at all and when you make it you get 3 of them. That’s if we are talking straight recipes for buffs, otherwise I like the stalker pie easy to make and contains wolf, a food source that is so easy to obtain.

those seem to be my favs anyway. 😊

• Upvote 3

I believe the rabbit and venison pie do the same as well, the 3kgs carry weigh etc but I can’t remember so I didn’t want to mention them as I could be wrong.  The stalker pie also contains one other meat but again it’s one that when you get it , it has loads of meat.

I also forgot to mention the fish cakes. I can’t remember what they do but they had some neat buffs as well….I think….
Meat pies are the best, but hey I’m a New Zealander and we love our meat pies 🇳🇿🥧

Edited by TwoFatCatz
  • Upvote 2

I have the exact same problem with the headache affliction getting caused by eating a pie. It's just a debuff for the sake of having a debuff. We use one (1) can of peaches to make three (3) pies and we get a headache from a pie (so like a third of a can with no other added sweeteners) but not from eating the whole can??

And it's not like the headache affliction actually does anything! Other than annoy me I guess lol. I really dislike the visual effects of a headache and having to suffer that way more than before (or else giving up on peach and rosehip pies) is pretty frustrating, not going to lie.

Hopefully the mod makers crack the new cooking system's code soon and maybe mod that debuff out cuz having consistent headaches from eating a single hand pie is so SO unrealistic

• Upvote 4

On 7/15/2023 at 9:46 AM, Val123 said:

I have the exact same problem with the headache affliction getting caused by eating a pie. It's just a debuff for the sake of having a debuff.

This is a great way of putting it.  In my opinion it feels too Fallout/trait-based RPG-ish for a game like TLD.  If anything, the 'debuff for the sake of having a debuff' concept should be applied to the Badges you [can] select at the beginning of a new game, e.g. something like "Tea Drinker: The Warming Up buff from drinking teas lasts twice as long, but stamina is permanently reduced by 20%" [the idea being that you'd constantly feel like you need to pee from consuming so many liquids all the time, lol - I'm just coming up with some silly on-the-spot example here to illustrate my point]. 

It seems an odd choice to apply the debuff-for-the-sake-of-debuff concept to food items, especially an item the player must go through deliberate efforts to get (cook).  Finding the proper ingredients, leveling up Cooking skill, and in some cases even finding the recipe - that all in itself seems like it should be the inherent tradeoff for a food item like this, since It's not like cattails - which in comparison take relatively very little effort to acquire and are a consumable that most players view as pure gain at no cost. 

(A similar example of what I view as balanced game design in this respect: as many are familiar with in Minecraft, Rotten Flesh is a guaranteed drop from killing Zombies: as a consumable, it's plentiful and easy to get, but restores a very little Food points, and comes with an 80% chance of inflicting a 'Hunger' debuff that will essentially negate nearly all of what little Food points were gained.  Thus as a lootable item it's generally seen as garbage, and as a consumable it's really just used as a food of last resort.)

In TLD's case, I think the simpler (better?) option would be to simply reduce the amount of calories of the pie/whatever food if it feels too overpowered without the debuff ('Tiredness' or otherwise).  

• Upvote 1

I double checked the fish cakes recipe. It to is a recipe that has no negative effects. It increases stamina, it unburdens and helps cure cabin fever.  However with the new recipes being finite…..(they arnt in the beach combing pool, I’ve spent 30 consecutive days at DP haven’t found a single new food item), I still believe the simple pies are the way to go. However again this is the only other recipe in my opinion that has some great buffs. Especially if you need to sprint while carrying quite some load.

I really wish in the future we can plant some of these new items (carrot and potato) to produce more…..maybe with the better bases update this may become an option. Just in case I’m holding onto a few.

Edited by TwoFatCatz
  • Upvote 1

On 7/19/2023 at 3:45 PM, TwoFatCatz said:

I double checked the fish cakes recipe. It to is a recipe that has no negative effects. It increases stamina, it unburdens and helps cure cabin fever.  However with the new recipes being finite…..(they arnt in the beach combing pool, I’ve spent 30 consecutive days at DP haven’t found a single new food item), I still believe the simple pies are the way to go. However again this is the only other recipe in my opinion that has some great buffs. Especially if you need to sprint while carrying quite some load.

I really wish in the future we can plant some of these new items (carrot and potato) to produce more…..maybe with the better bases update this may become an option. Just in case I’m holding onto a few.

Rose Hip Pies are definitely my favorite. They're handy towards the end of the day if I want to get a few more things done with the daylight hours, and I don't want to listen to that huffing and puffing from exhaustion. And just a few goes a LONG way. A single bush with 8 hips is good for 3 pies, compared to a single cup of tea which requires 3 full bushes (24 individual hips.)

Some of the larger food items like Breyerhouse Pies are neat to make if you already have a fire going, but you have to be really hungry to eat the whole thing in one sitting and get the full benefit.

• Upvote 1