TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, Part Three Released & THE LONG DARK UPDATED to Version 2.17 (Xbox, PlayStation, PC, Mac)

Admin

Hello Community,

We have just released our v2.17 (117074) update for THE LONG DARK (including Survival Edition), TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, and WINTERMUTE on Steam, Epic Games Store, Xbox, and PlayStation. (Please note that it can take time for the update to appear on all platforms.) 

This update includes the latest Expansion Pass update TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, Part Three: FRONTIER COMFORTS, along with a free update available to anyone who owns THE LONG DARK or SURVIVAL EDITION, and various bug fixes and quality of life improvements. 

TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, Part Three: FRONTIER COMFORTS

Note: For a description of the new features and content in Part Three, plus the latest Update Video, please click HERE

• Frontier Cooking System: A completely new cooking system that allows the combination of ingredients using Recipes. As part of the new system we’ve included seven new Ingredients, a selection of 15 simple Recipes, and an additional nine Unique Recipes that offer special gameplay benefits. 
  • Skillet: A useful cooking tool to help you prepare some of the new Frontier Cooking recipes.
  • Ptarmigan: Perfect for hunting quietly with Stones or Fire-Hardened Arrows, Ptarmigans are a source of meat, and also provide Down used in crafting the new Improvised Down Bedroll, and the Improvised Insulation Accessory.
  • Hunter's Revolver: A new, vintage-style Revolver that is more deadly at long range. 
  • Forester's Revolver: An older, reliable, durable weapon.
  • Warden's Revolver: A lightweight Revolver with a shorter barrel for faster aiming. 
  • Sport Bow: A light and durable manufactured Bow. 
  • Miner’s Flashlight: Equipped with a larger, more efficient battery.

Free Update Stream

Note: This update is available to anyone who owns THE LONG DARK or SURVIVAL EDITION. 

• The updated Enhanced Fishing system includes:
    • Free-Form Ice Fishing Holes: Allows you to set up your own fishing locations in regions that have sufficiently deep bodies of water.
    • Tip-Ups: Place a new Tip-Up over any ice fishing hole and it will automatically catch a fish for you. 
    • Fishing Lures: New Fishing Lures help with catching Fish, and also increase your chances of catching the new Rare fish. 
    • Bait: You can now harvest Bait from raw fish to increase your chances of catching fish either when using the Tip-Up or conventional fishing. 
    • Rare Fish: The Burbot, Goldeye, Red Irish Lord, and Rockfish. 
    • Burdock: Burdock is a new harvestable plant. Eat them raw, cook them as part of a recipe, or make a warming tea that will help combat food poisoning.

DETAILED RELEASE NOTES

Xbox and PlayStation Frame Rate Update

Starting with this update, THE LONG DARK now supports 60 FPS on the following platforms: 

• Xbox Series X/S - Targeting 30FPS at 4K. Targeting 60FPS at 1440p.
  • Xbox One X - Targeting 30FPS at 4K. Targeting 60FPS at 1440p.
  • Playstation 5 - Targeting 30FPS at 1680p. Targeting 60FPS at 1680p.
  • Playstation 4 Pro - Targeting 30FPS at 1680p. Targeting 60FPS at 1680p.

You can manually enable the higher frame rate cap, or change it back to the 30 FPS cap, via the Display Settings: Options -> Display -> Frame Rate Target

display.jpg.ba1cfe403258b54eb674a6f30ba8f10d.jpg

Note: We are still working toward additional improvements, including providing official support for next-gen consoles, visual enhancements, and more. We will provide additional information in the coming months as more information becomes available. 

BUG FIXES

GENERAL & CRASHES

• Steam - Fixed an issue where players received errors reading "failed to load HinterlandOptionalContent.Steam" on Windows, Mac, and Linux. 
  • General - Fixed an issue where sleeping in a Helicopter without a Bedroll would result in a crash.
  • General - Fixed an issue where audio would not play the first time Harvesting something (Rosehips, etc) after entering a scene.
  • General - Fixed an issue that would cause the game to crash for some players, when applying a bandage.
  • General - Fixed an issue that would cause the Mountain Town Transmitter to report the incorrect GUID information, which could result in a crash. 
  • General - Main Menu - Fixed a potential crash if a player entered into gameplay while the News menu was still waiting for a response from the server. 
  • General - Fixed an erroneous error message that could appear in the player’s log file, eventually leading to performance issues. 
  • General - Fixed a very rare crash that could occur if the player invoked a menu, such as the Inventory or death screen, while also pressing a button for another input, such as walking or interacting with something.

GAMEPLAY

• Gameplay - Fixed an issue where quartering animals occasionally resulted in missing meat. 
  • Gameplay - Fixed an issue where a Carcass could become non-interactable if left in the world for an extended period of time. 
  • Gameplay - The Bow will now switch to Fire-Hardened Arrows automatically, if they are the only arrows left in the players Inventory. 
  • Gameplay - Fixed an issue that caused the Energy Drink to give the incorrect duration for the associated Headache affliction. 
  • Gameplay - Fixed an issue where Bedrolls slept or rested in could be destroyed in a struggle, even when not in a player’s inventory.
  • Gameplay - Fixed an issue that prevented Bedrolls from showing their damage state when placed on the ground. 
  • Gameplay - Fixed an issue where renewable items (Sticks, Stones, Coal, etc.) were sometimes more plentiful than intended.
  • Gameplay - Fixed an issue that could cause corrupted save data, if the player quickly equipped the Shortwave Radio, put it away, then quickly exited the game.
  • Gameplay - Fixed an issue that would cause fully cooked, or partially cooked food items to revert to a raw state, if dragged off the cooking surface and dropped onto a new one.
  • Gameplay - Interloper - Spelunker's Lantern variant is now available in Interloper. 

USER INTERFACE

• UI - Map - Fixed an issue that caused Rock Cache Map markers to appear in the wrong location, or not on the Map at all. 
  • UI - Fixed an issue that caused the Headache Affliction meter to show a maximum of 1 hour, regardless of the actual Affliction length. 
  • UI - Campcraft Radial Menu - Added the Fishing Hole to the Camp Radial Menu slot and temporarily removed the Bearskin Bedroll.
  • UI - Journal - Added the Challenge Objective tab that was missing from the Journal while playing a Challenge. 

ENVIRONMENT ART

• Environment - Blackrock Prison - Fixed an issue that made it so players could not interact with a Battery inside one of the Trucks.
  • Environment - Timber Wolf Mountain - Fixed an issue that would cause the door to the Mountaineer’s Hut to open on the wrong side, preventing the player from closing it.
  • Environment - Pleasant Valley - Fixed an issue that would cause Recycled Cans to appear tiny, if placed next to the Rim Grill, found near the Pleasant Valley Farmhouse.
  • Environment - Pleasant Valley - Updated one of the Interloper start positions to be further away from a Prepper Cache. 

AUDIO

• Audio - Adjusted audio for the Lit Flare and Marine Flare so it emits properly from the Flare’s location.

PLATFORM-SPECIFIC ISSUES

• Xbox/PS4 - Fixed an issue that would cause the game to crash on Xbox One and PlayStation, when performing an action.
  • PS4 - Fixed a potential crash that could occur if the player was sleeping during an active Aurora.
  • PS4 - Fixed a crash that could occur while exiting back to the Main Menu.
  • PS4 - Fixed a crash that could occur while scrolling through the Inventory. 
  • PS4 - Fixed an issue with the timing of the subtitles, if played on a PS5 or a framerate other than 30 FPS. 

To check current releases on each platform, please visit our new Build Status Page

Please visit our Support Portal (or consult our Known Issues page) if you encounter any issues while playing the game. For additional news and information, don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Twitter (Game | Studio). 

### END OF RELEASE NOTES ###

• Upvote 3
  • Like 5

… and I can’t run the game anymore (macOS).

Not gonna lie, it’s a bit frustrating that it feels like every update also breaks something.

Edit: reached out to support and they were able to help me very quick 👍

Edited by JBS
update

thanks for this update.

it introduce new funny bugs.

- The running indicator is always displayed now.

no57rw.jpg

- The right-click in the round menu to drop something (water, weapon,…) don't run now.

- and… funny many funny… if I make new arrow, but I've got some arrow not at 100% (for example 50%) the new arrow will be at 50%.

… the good side is : If I have for example a 20% arrow, and a 66% arrow, I can place un a box/drawer in 1st the 66% arrow, and after the 20% arrow, and … magic the 20% is set to 66%. I see the same with lucifers. It's usefull to have only one package in invotory.

my configuration : Mac OS 10.14.6 iMac 2013

Edited by JNZ
  • Upvote 2

New bugs also from here:

New bedroll doesn't appeared to the round shaped menu. You have to search the bedroll.

Fishing skill is not progressing at all.

Also I have experienced above mentioned running indicator is always displayed, right-click in the round menu to drop something doesn't work.

I'm playing on windows 10. And not a new run, existing one.

2 hours ago, JNZ said:

thanks for this update.

it introduce new funny bugs.

- The running indicator is always displayed now.

no57rw.jpg

- The right-click in the round menu to drop something (water, weapon,…) don't run now.

- and… funny many funny… if I make new arrow, but I've got some arrow not at 100% (for example 50%) the new arrow will be at 50%.

… the good side is : If I have for example a 20% arrow, and a 66% arrow, I can place un a box/drawer in 1st the 66% arrow, and after the 20% arrow, and … magic the 20% is set to 66%. I see the same with lucifers. It's usefull to have only one package in invotory.

my configuration : Mac OS 10.14.6 iMac 2013

Thank you for posting! We are aware of the issue with the Arrows, and we will follow up if we have additional questions on the other bugs you reported. We appreciate your patience. 

1 hour ago, Tonza_98 said:

New bugs also from here:

New bedroll doesn't appeared to the round shaped menu. You have to search the bedroll.

Fishing skill is not progressing at all.

Also I have experienced above mentioned running indicator is always displayed, right-click in the round menu to drop something doesn't work.

I'm playing on windows 10. And not a new run, existing one.

We temporarily removed the Bearskin Bedroll from the Radial Menu. 

We will follow up with additional questions on the other issues you mentioned if we have any additional questions, and we will share more information as soon as it is available. Thank you! 

THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATE! ❤️

I could not wait to try it, even for a bit...:
Ptarmigians are really patient - when i miss them with an arrow, they just stay put and wait until I score a hit (other herbivores run away when an arrow hits nearby)
Can also confirm to have found cooking ingredients in already searched (and almost completely broken down) houses.
I was expecting to be able to place the skillet from the radial (similar to the pot and cans) but that option is not available...(?)

Then I have the "Failed to load" error again, and cannot go inside where the rest of my stuff is (this time the hut in Miner's Folly). :(
Will try some more tomorrow - very excited!:)

Edited by AdamvR

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

@Admin

Also of note... I find that I can no longer right click an item from the radial in order to place it. 
Found as I was trying to drop off water one bottle at a time.  Tested on the other areas of the radial found the same to be true.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

We're actively working on this one, @ManicManiac but please don't hesitate to reach out if you encounter any other issues. We are also working to update the Known Issues list ASAP on the Support Portal so everyone is aware of the top issues we are working on following this release. Thanks! 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheOtherBob said:

Hinterland used to do public test/experimental releases prior to full releases.

Purely objectively, and with no intention to insult the dev team, you have several nasty bugs per release, seemingly without exception. I would love to help you test your updates before you release them to the players who just want their game to work, and I'm confident there are a ton of other players who would also. Kindly reconsider experimental releases, similar to how Coffeestain does them with Satisfactory. 

As it stands now, you're already leaving a significant portion of the QA process up to the players anyway.  Why not give players the agency to decide whether they are willing to be part of that or not?

I've already offered to test the game... So I think it'd be a great idea... 

11 hours ago, Admin said:

We temporarily removed the Bearskin Bedroll from the Radial Menu. 

We will follow up with additional questions on the other issues you mentioned if we have any additional questions, and we will share more information as soon as it is available. Thank you! 

Something to add to the fishing skill. It's progressing when fishing normally, but not then when you're fishing with the tip-up. Is this intentional?

Currently stuck in the Lone Lake Cabin in Mystery Lake, every time I leave it tells me "Failed to Restore the game from a previous Save. Press Confirm to return to Main Menu."

I know other people are having this bug, thought I'd report mine here too. Do you need me to make a ticket for it too? I imagine you've gotten a few already.

Anyone found a workaround yet? Already tried restarting the game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheOtherBob said:

...with no intention to insult the dev team...

...As it stands now, you're already leaving a significant portion of the QA process up to the players anyway. 

Hmm... just because someone starts a post with "I don't mean to be insulting" isn't a magic shield that allows one to go on to be insulting anyway.  
Accusing Hinterland of offloading their Quality Control / Quality Assurance / Play Testing and Troubleshooting is (in my opinion) extremely insulting and more than a little out of bounds.

Do you have personal firsthand knowledge of what Hinterland is doing and prioritizing from day to day?

I tend to doubt it.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 2