Setting up a trap line in HRV

Lemonhartsour

I've always loved watching and hearing stories from family about trappers and the lives they used to lead. It is sort of a dying occupation however, and quite frankly I'm not a resourceful enough person to be one in real life, so I figured that I could do it in Canada simulator, the long dark. HRV has been my chosen region, as it is almost void of manmade structures (except the new bunker), and is quite plentiful in wildlife, and already has some established snow shelters as bases along the line. I was just wondering, as I set up for this adventure, if anyone has any tips for it.

I made a little route on a map, and the new bunker would be my home base as it has (perhaps spoilers ahead) a workbench, and is in a really great location for doing rounds through HRV. I plan to kill deer and Bears with Vaughn's rifle for food, as well as snare rabbits for supplementary food and gut. I am doing this on my ~55 day run in stalker difficulty, and am gathering gear in the ML trappers cabin to transport through MT to HRV. I have got technical backpack and moose satchel as well as the rifle sling to further decrease the weight of Vaughn's rifle (but I'll bring curators rifle just to put on display).

Thanks in advance for any advice! 

2 hours ago, Mistral said:

Wait there's a new bunker in HRV? I didn't know... too bad, that kind of ruins the barren wilderness & no human settlements vibe I loved about the map. Guess I have to pretend that too doesn't exist now

Given where it's located, I'd say it's pretty easy to ignore...

Hey @Lemonhartsour.  Sounds like a fun adventure!  Not really many tips to share, but you will be drowning in rabbit pelts! 

If you've never seriously trapped rabbits in TLD, trap lines are the way to go, but I'm sure you already knew that.  I like to observe the rabbits roaming pattern to determine the best place to lay my line.  I tend to place up to 10 snares spaced evenly apart.  I set up the snares during the day, wait a night and check them in the morning.  Make sure you have plenty of reclaimed wood to repair/make more snares.

Have fun!

Rabbit groves are as near as I can figure a circle drawn around an arbitrary point, which is placed in a spot where it would make sense to find rabbits. As long as your snares are in that radius, placement is irrelevant. Stack them all up in one big obvious easily-avoidable bunch, and they are just as effective as if you create a long dragnet. In fact, I'd argue clustering snares together is MORE effective especially if you're laying down dozens, since it's less likely you'll place any outside of the spawn zone on accident. Just place them where you see rabbits, come back in a day. It's not necessary to observe their pathing and place the snares in their way. Just in the general vicinity.

It IS possible to harvest a rabbit spawn to extinction however, so if a day goes by and you don't get a single rabbit, pick up your traps and find another spot. The zone will refresh over time, but depending on your settings it might be a week or more.

On 4/26/2023 at 2:16 AM, PilgrimReaper said:

Given where it's located, I'd say it's pretty easy to ignore...

Well, that is assuming it is one of the 3 out of 9 bunkers that have loot in it.  I'm using the same bunker with the workbench in my current game, but it spawned in Pleasant Valley.  The other two lootable bunkers in my current game were in Blackrock and Ash Canyon.

A trap LINE (as in the Canadian tradition of a long spread out line of individual traps over a large territory) for rabbits will likely prove impractical. A bunch of traps in a local rabbit grove can be VERY successful. The reason is that the rabbits spawn in the traps in the morning (in my case when I exit my cabin) and then start to decay from that moment on. You have to go collect them while they still have good condition. If you have a line of traps scattered around HRV then it takes time to go collect and they can get ruined. Also you will have broken traps that you have to replace if you want to keep it up and that also takes time to do. In HRV if you live in a cave then you don't have a loading screen when you exit a building so I don't know what will trigger the spawn. Perhaps when you wake up.

I spent considerable time in CH just doing rabbit trapping. My traps were on Jackrabbit island with my base in a coastal house. I had around 20 traps in a semi circle where the rabbits were seen to hop about. The amount of snared rabbits each morning were random but often more than half of the traps were full with only some of the snares ruined. I had enough rabbits and guts to easily sustain the trapping forever. There was no depletion of rabbits at all. I believe the Wiki and any other info about depletion of rabbits (and fish for that matter) is old info and wrong for some time now. Another wrong info about traps is that you can collect rabbits in the morning and the evening. It is only in the morning once a day that they spawn in your trap. Another thing is that they do not RUN INTO the trap. They spawn in the trap if you have one there. 

5 minutes ago, Sito said:

A trap LINE (as in the Canadian tradition of a long spread out line of individual traps over a large territory) for rabbits will likely prove impractical. A bunch of traps in a local rabbit grove can be VERY successful. The reason is that the rabbits spawn in the traps in the morning (in my case when I exit my cabin) and then start to decay from that moment on. You have to go collect them while they still have good condition. If you have a line of traps scattered around HRV then it takes time to go collect and they can get ruined. Also you will have broken traps that you have to replace if you want to keep it up and that also takes time to do. In HRV if you live in a cave then you don't have a loading screen when you exit a building so I don't know what will trigger the spawn. Perhaps when you wake up.

I spent considerable time in CH just doing rabbit trapping. My traps were on Jackrabbit island with my base in a coastal house. I had around 20 traps in a semi circle where the rabbits were seen to hop about. The amount of snared rabbits each morning were random but often more than half of the traps were full with only some of the snares ruined. I had enough rabbits and guts to easily sustain the trapping forever. There was no depletion of rabbits at all. I believe the Wiki and any other info about depletion of rabbits (and fish for that matter) is old info and wrong for some time now. Another wrong info about traps is that you can collect rabbits in the morning and the evening. It is only in the morning once a day that they spawn in your trap. Another thing is that they do not RUN INTO the trap. They spawn in the trap if you have one there. 

Yeah, I'm not doing this for super effective run, I'm mostly just doing it for a fun sort of run around HRV for a few weeks. Those tips will come in handy later though, I have never done a lot of research into rabbit farming before. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Hey @Lemonhartsour.  Sounds like a fun adventure!  Not really many tips to share, but you will be drowning in rabbit pelts! 

If you've never seriously trapped rabbits in TLD, trap lines are the way to go, but I'm sure you already knew that.  I like to observe the rabbits roaming pattern to determine the best place to lay my line.  I tend to place up to 10 snares spaced evenly apart.  I set up the snares during the day, wait a night and check them in the morning.  Make sure you have plenty of reclaimed wood to repair/make more snares.

Have fun!

Thanks!

On 4/27/2023 at 2:15 PM, DaGnome91 said:

Actually,

Hide contents

There are 2 new bunkers in HRV 

: a prepper's cache and the SV Gamma Bunker... There is even also a crashed airplane !

Ohhhhhhhhhhh... 🤔😟

Edited by Mistral