My biggest gripe about the game...

I absolutely hate the fact that it is so easy to discharge the handgun accidentally! I don't know how many times I have gone to pick up a stick, open a gate, etc. and BLAMO! Wasted a round, scared the crap out of me, and why? Doesn't happen with the rifle, only the pistol (and maybe flare gun though I don't usually have that out unless I am worried about a bear). I bet I have wasted 30 rounds this run alone! What is your biggest gripe? 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Getting stuck on tiny bits of snow on roads etc...   Or worse half climbing the ropes on the bridges in ash canyon.. happens a lot with me. 

There's this one place on one bridge in Ash Canyon were I always tend to "trip" (i.e. get momentarily stuck)... scares the crap out of me every time.  I'm having an bit of an issue after this last update disengaging myself at the bottom of climbing ropes... more often than not, I start to climb back up them for some reason.  I wouldn't class any of these as "my biggest gripe" though.

I think the biggest gripe I have now is the darkness of many interiors even on bright sunny days.  The Carter Dam in particular has gotten a lot darker inside since the update... I can't even get past the lobby now without having to light a torch.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

There's this one place on one bridge in Ash Canyon were I always tend to "trip" (i.e. get momentarily stuck)... scares the crap out of me every time.  I'm having an bit of an issue after this last update disengaging myself at the bottom of climbing ropes... more often than not, I start to climb back up them for some reason.  I wouldn't class any of these as "my biggest gripe" though.

I think the biggest gripe I have now is the darkness of many interiors even on bright sunny days.  The Carter Dam in particular has gotten a lot darker inside since the update... I can't even get past the lobby now without having to light a torch.

I get that on all the bridges even the small wooden one near miners folly.  ..   not had a problem with the ropes at all.   

I share your feelings about the lighting issues.. especially in the dam.. having to light a lamp almost straight away ,even when the sun's shining through the windows  seems a bit silly.  

15 hours ago, diggity said:

Yep that's a big one.  Gotta holster it, or put the safety on. 😁

But for the revolver, my biggest gripe is a dud round, just when I need it.  😨

Got to keep the gun in good condition or it will give you problems.. 

12 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I'm with @Leeanda on little "ledges" or sticks you can't step over but this has been an issue with games forever.  

Also, bears I shoot, then they despawn.

Lol😂.       Sucks about the Bears though.  They've been very buggy since the update .

Edited by Leeanda

Ugh, charcoal...yeah like I am going to take it and immediately use it! lolz I usually end up hitting H immediately and eventually dropping it in a pile. 

So I have had the same issue with dark interiors and the OPPOSITE in some interiors as well. In some places (e.g. Camp Office), where I used to need a light source at night, I can see well enough to move around the room and navigate to where I need to go. And in some of the caves, I don't need a torch at all (the one to Milton, Carter Dam, etc) in the daytime. Definitely agree that the interior at the dam itself is a lot darker than it was.

Still sticking with the accidental discharge as my #1...waste of valuable bullets is a crime!

Edited by TonyInPleasantValley

On 4/12/2023 at 4:52 PM, TonyInPleasantValley said:

it is so easy to discharge the handgun accidentally!

As I see it, this is a game that requires players to pay attention to what they are doing.  It's a game that has real consequences for mistakes (and sometimes just misfortune).  It's a game that (to use Raph's words), "don't want to make a game that's going to hold the player's hand."

And... it's a game that is willing to punish us for our mistakes.  (which I think is what I love about TLD most of all)

If we are careful, and we make sure our reticle "sees" the item we intend to interact with before pressing the button... then we will "accidently" shoot from the hip when we don't mean to.  Alternatively, if we simply exercise a bit of "gun safety" and put the revolver away when we don't intend to use it... then we will never "accidently" shoot from the hip when we don't mean to either.

On 4/12/2023 at 4:52 PM, TonyInPleasantValley said:

Doesn't happen with the rifle, only the pistol

Because the pistol can be "fired from the hip"
The rifle and distress pistol (flare gun) both require our survivor to aim in before firing.

Again, this game rewards careful and deliberate action... and punishes mistakes.  If we pay attention to what we are doing, then those accidents don't really happen.  If we don't run around with an unlit torch in hand... then we'll never accidently waste a match by mis-clicking.  If we keep a fire striker on hand... then that will never happen either, since we get a UI to select ignition source (assuming we already have matches on hand).  As long as we pay attention to what we are doing we will never "accidentally" eat raw meat... from the radial we get a bit of a "handholding" kind of warning in for form of an "ARE YOU SURE???" interrupt.

If we are paying attention, we can sustain a campfire out in the open literally anywhere.  The wind never blows out the fire completely... but rather reduces the fire to about 9 minutes.  So... as long as we nurse a fire one stick at a time and we don't pile on wood when we know it's already windy... then we can keep a fire going under any circumstances (I've done this through blizzard more than once) and for as long as we have sticks on hand.

If we are paying attention, we'd never freeze to death in our sleep (by trying to sleep 10+ hours while out in the open or in an exposed "shelter").  ...all we have to do is pay attention to the temperature and nap in shorter increments. 🤭

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

I have had the same issue with dark interiors and the OPPOSITE in some interiors as well...

I don't have any issues with the lighting... personally I like the lighting, especially those really dark locations.
I like that it forces me to use a resource (lantern fuel, flare, etc...) if I want to navigate through or more thoroughly search locations that I otherwise might be able to "feel my way through."  I like that I'm forced to plan for needing a light source.  It influences how important that lantern/torch is... and requires a little more planning when we choose a route for the day.  

As for the consistency or rational behind what how dark which interiors are... I guess I just chalk that up to another one of those scenarios where sometimes a videogame, just has to videogame.  That's up to Hinterland and it seems they have it the way they want it... otherwise they would have "fixed" it already if it wasn't what was intended.  ...so I respect Hinterland's decisions and I adjust my playstyles accordingly.

Adapt and overcome (as we say).

Edited by ManicManiac
Fixed some typos :)
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I don't have any issues with the lightly... personally I like the lighting, especially those really dark locations.
I like that it forces me to use a resource (lantern fuel, flare, etc...) if I want to navigate through or more thoroughly search locations that I otherwise might be able to "feel my way through."  I like that I'm forced to plan for needing a light source.  It influences how important that lantern/torch is... and requires a little more planning when we choose a route for the day.  

As for the consistency or rational behind what how dark which interiors are... I guess I just chalk that up to another one of those scenarios where sometimes a videogame, just has to videogame.  That's up to Hinterland and it seems they have it the way they want it... otherwise they would have "fixed" it already if it wasn't what was intended.  ...so I respect Hinterland's decisions and I adjust my playstyles accordingly.

Adapt and overcome (as we say).

I have adapted - I use a torch... Still where there are windows (like the main floor of the dam) and it is a bright sunny day, we should be able to see something (like we used to).  For the hallways through the lower dam... understandable that it would be dark at all times of day.  However, I simply cannot see inside a lot of the interiors (that do have windows) in the daytime.  I've tried jacking my brightness way up and it does not help.  It might be a bug since it is clearly different than before the update. 

At any rate, TLD has generally been hard on my vision - my eyes tire quickly, they water a lot while play, and I do get headaches.  I need to take very frequent breaks - almost at every sleep in game.  So - I do adapt and overcome... by not playing so much at all anymore and for much shorter periods. 😀

If I had to guess why TLD is so much more straining on my vision, I'd say it's an unnatural gradient to the lighting in general.  Since the update, the outdoor lighting has improved... there's more texture and depth... but indoors that is not the case.  For example, in the maintenance shed in the dam at night... a significant amount of moonlight can be seen through the various openings in the roof, but none of that lighting gradually filters to the floor (the way it would IRL).  At floor level it is 100% dark until a torch is lit.

I live in a rural area.  There are no street lights.  At night, only moonlight... yet, I can see inside the house with even a sliver of moon enough to not have to turn on a light to get to the bathroom and back to my bed.  No can do in TLD.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

@UpUpAway95
I'd missed your comment when I as I was writing mine.  I wasn't implying anything towards you... but rather that it's not something that I find too concerning because we have ways to adjust to it.  

I'm all for accessibility options, so that those with different levels of visual acuity aren't stymied by it; nor would I criticize anyone if they adjusted the brightness setting to compensate so they can continue enjoying the game with all the rest of the community.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

Ugh, charcoal...yeah like I am going to take it and immediately use it! lolz I usually end up hitting H immediately and eventually dropping it in a pile. 

So I have had the same issue with dark interiors and the OPPOSITE in some interiors as well. In some places (e.g. Camp Office), where I used to need a light source at night, I can see well enough to move around the room and navigate to where I need to go. And in some of the caves, I don't need a torch at all (the one to Milton, Carter Dam, etc) in the daytime. Definitely agree that the interior at the dam itself is a lot darker than it was.

Still sticking with the accidental discharge as my #1...waste of valuable bullets is a crime!

The cave to Milton has always been quite light. Even I can see all the way through there ,even with my eyesight🙂

• Upvote 1

@conanjaguar

I did...

On 4/14/2023 at 9:06 AM, ManicManiac said:

If we pay attention to what we are doing, then those accidents don't really happen.  If we don't run around with an unlit torch in hand... then we'll never accidently waste a match by mis-clicking.  If we keep a fire striker on hand... then that will never happen either, since we get a UI to select ignition source (assuming we already have matches on hand).

On 4/13/2023 at 9:28 AM, hozz1235 said:

I'm with @Leeanda on little "ledges" or sticks you can't step over but this has been an issue with games forever.  

Also, bears I shoot, then they despawn.

Another VLDL Fan?! What is this madness. :)

Back on topic: just as obnoxious as discharging a gun?

"Ok, let's start this fire...wait...no...I'm going to sketch the area with my new charcoal instead."

Edited by Merrak
adding to the conversation

@ManicManiac

Oops. Guess I posted before reading through everything.

I don’t disagree with you. Logically, if we don’t walk around with an unlit torch, or have an alternative fuel source on hand, then we won’t waste matches… but I can come up with a few situations  when matches might be wasted from other reasons than clumsiness :D.

• Upvote 1