Please make glimmer fog optional in settings.

Leeanda

I'm not asking because it's annoying or causes insomnia, I don't have a problem with that. 

However it's given me a really bad headache and I am now stuck at the airfield and can't play it any more.  I'm gutted as I was really looking forward to this dlc.  

Thank you.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

As I can't remove this post for some reason I should add that I'm aware it would probably be extremely difficult to do so .  But  the flickering light is obviously an issue ,at least for me and may for others.    

Even if I can't go there again ,I have no complaints about paying for the dlc as you've given us so much for free already.   Thanks guys! 

I'm off to try the beachcombing🙂👍

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, xanna said:

It might be difficult, but as an accessibility issue I hope they find a way regardless.

That's what I thought..   it's a shame if they can't but I still have plenty of new stuff to do and find.   I just hope it's not in the other new regions too.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a game dev or a software engineer, but it's an overlay on the ground, right? It is sometimes there and sometimes not. It might be as easy as adding a toggle to just never switch the effect on when the electrostatic fog starts. The more involved part would presumably be adding some other visual indicator of the magic fog, but I'm sure they can think of something.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, xanna said:

I'm not a game dev or a software engineer, but it's an overlay on the ground, right? It is sometimes there and sometimes not. It might be as easy as adding a toggle to just never switch the effect on when the electrostatic fog starts. The more involved part would presumably be adding some other visual indicator of the magic fog, but I'm sure they can think of something.

I know absolutely nothing about tech whatsoever.😁.     I'm fine with just ordinary fog though, the lights flickering during an ordinary aurora are fine too . I have noticed the graphics are slightly different so that might be a small part of it .      

My son took my Astrid out of there for me so I wouldn't lose everything I'd already done.    If they can't do anything then that's just my bad luck I suppose.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kranium said:

I could be the timing of the flickering, too. One of ours here has seizure issues, and regular flickering lights (eg. strobe light) can bring it on, while random flickering doesn't.

Thank you. That might explain it ..   I know some games have warnings  about that but I don't remember seems one on tld.   

• Upvote 2

I absolutely support this.  It should be an optional effect and HL should also add a warning.

@Leeanda - I'm really sorry you're experience such discomfort with it.  My vision issues give me pain from the effects used in several games.  All I can do is take frequent breaks to keep the headaches in check.  It's an accessibility issue and devs to really work harder to give players toggles and choices about such things.  Yeah, such toggles can be used to make the game easier, but that shouldn't matter.  People should not have to play through pain when it can be avoided.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I absolutely support this.  It should be an optional effect and HL should also add a warning.

@Leeanda - I'm really sorry you're experience such discomfort with it.  My vision issues give me pain from the effects used in several games.  All I can do is take frequent breaks to keep the headaches in check.  It's an accessibility issue and devs to really work harder to give players toggles and choices about such things.  Yeah, such toggles can be used to make the game easier, but that shouldn't matter.  People should not have to play through pain when it can be avoided.

Thank you...   Id literally just got to the tower when the fog kicked in..  it did help a little bit inside but only if I stood in a certain part. I couldn't just stand there for X amount of time though!  I  did pause it once or twice ,and I looked for the items to fix the tower to see if focusing on that would help but it didn't.   My son got me out of there otherwise I'd have wasted all that time. 

Took me three days nearly to get rid of insomnia.  

I know they've made motion toggable. So hopefully they can with this too..  I'm sorry you have issues with it,it's not a pleasant thing at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

The glimmer-fog gives me a nasty headache as well. and also a little bit of motion-sickness. When I was first in the Airfield area, trying to figure out where everything was, I was stuck wandering for a couple of hours in the non-stop flickering. I eventually had to quit out of the game and take a long break.

The Aurora flickering lights bother me somewhat too, but I usually just sleep thru'.

Now that I know where safe places are, I keep "Astrid" inside during the effect, or just go out to quickly check snares and gather a few sticks, but it does lead to some very boring game play.

Don't have a problem with the insomnia or fog in general, just the flickering & static noise ...

• Upvote 2

@Leeanda

I also support the idea.
I think that anything having effects (in this case visual effects) that causes a player adverse reactions/issues while playing a game they enjoy really ought to be considered as an effect that could be toggled on/off in the accessibility settings.  I'd say it's not so different from camara sway or other options already available.

I hope we hear from Hinterland with their thoughts on the matter.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
@Admin

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, diggity said:

Also support this.  Not a fan of GF in it's current form - there should be more escapes, eg snow shelter should work.  It's fog not radiation.

Fog usually hits low-lying areas, so maybe SS wouldn't be the best place to hide from it!  Inside buildings or higher ground, you'd think wouldn't be affected though.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

@Admin

I know at least one ticket has been made for this, has there been any thoughts on it from the team's end?
Are they aware of the idea?
Is there any word on whether they are considering it?

So summarize:

On 4/7/2023 at 5:28 AM, Leeanda said:

I'm not asking because it's annoying or causes insomnia, I don't have a problem with that. 

However it's given me a really bad headache and I am now stuck at the airfield and can't play it any more.  I'm gutted as I was really looking forward to this dlc.  

Thank you.

On 4/7/2023 at 12:26 PM, Leeanda said:

As I can't remove this post for some reason I should add that I'm aware it would probably be extremely difficult to do so .  But  the flickering light is obviously an issue ,at least for me and may for others.    

Even if I can't go there again ,I have no complaints about paying for the dlc as you've given us so much for free already.   Thanks guys! 

On 4/8/2023 at 11:57 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

absolutely support this.  It should be an optional effect and HL should also add a warning.

On 4/8/2023 at 12:13 PM, Leeanda said:

Thank you...   Id literally just got to the tower when the fog kicked in..  it did help a little bit inside but only if I stood in a certain part. I couldn't just stand there for X amount of time though!  I  did pause it once or twice ,and I looked for the items to fix the tower to see if focusing on that would help but it didn't.   My son got me out of there otherwise I'd have wasted all that time. 

Took me three days nearly to get rid of insomnia.  

I know they've made motion toggable. So hopefully they can with this too..  I'm sorry you have issues with it,it's not a pleasant thing at all.

On 4/9/2023 at 7:03 AM, twyn1 said:

The glimmer-fog gives me a nasty headache as well. and also a little bit of motion-sickness. When I was first in the Airfield area, trying to figure out where everything was, I was stuck wandering for a couple of hours in the non-stop flickering. I eventually had to quit out of the game and take a long break.

Don't have a problem with the insomnia or fog in general, just the flickering & static noise ...

On 4/12/2023 at 12:53 PM, ManicManiac said:

I also support the idea.
I think that anything having effects (in this case visual effects) that causes a player adverse reactions/issues while playing a game they enjoy really ought to be considered as an effect that could be toggled on/off in the accessibility settings.  I'd say it's not so different from camara sway or other options already available.

I hope we hear from Hinterland with their thoughts on the matter.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

On 4/7/2023 at 3:28 AM, Leeanda said:

Thank you.

Hi @Leeanda! Thanks for reaching out, and thank you all for following up on this post. 

We've flagged this with the team. While we don't have any additional information to share at this time, we want to let you know that we are considering this feedback, and also reviewing other feedback about flickering that happens during the Aurora. We sincerely appreciate the insight that has been provided. We want the game to be as accessible as possible, and we will follow up if more information becomes available. 

• Upvote 9

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2023 at 12:55 PM, Admin said:

Hi @Leeanda! Thanks for reaching out, and thank you all for following up on this post. 

We've flagged this with the team. While we don't have any additional information to share at this time, we want to let you know that we are considering this feedback, and also reviewing other feedback about flickering that happens during the Aurora. We sincerely appreciate the insight that has been provided. We want the game to be as accessible as possible, and we will follow up if more information becomes available. 

@Admin
Has there by chance been any indication from the team on whether this is something that's in the works?
Has the team weighed in on the possibility of making the Glimmer Fog's (visual) effect something that could be toggled/lessened with an Accessibility Option; for those whom the effect creates real issues for?

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Admin
Has there by chance been any indication from the team on whether this is something that's in the works?
Has the team weighed in on the possibility of making the Glimmer Fog's (visual) effect something that could be toggled/lessened with an Accessibility Option; for those whom the effect creates real issues for?

I too would appreciate it if you have any news on this?

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...