Improvised Crampon Decay Rate

ajb1978

Has anyone noticed that the Improvised Crampons decay MUCH slower than the regular Crampons? I crafted a pair on day one, and as of day 51 wearing them nearly non-stop they had only decayed to 98%. I just got the "real" Crampons from Ash Canyon, and in the 15 days I've had them, they're already down to 99%.

Even though they weigh 0.25kg more, I'm inclined to think Improvised Crampons are actually superior due to the slower decay...

I wondered about that too. Seems very weird. It doesn't make sense logically and also from a balance perspective.

They could also be balanced by not making the improvised ones repairable, so the real ones would be more resource efficient. But for that there needs to be decay.

Honestly, I don't see the point in there being an improvised version for crampons. I guess, it's so that you don't have to go to Ash Canyon to find them. But first off, why wouldn't you go to Ash Canyon? The Long dark is a game about survival, but it's also about exploration. And second, even if you decided not to visit Ash Canyon, or failed to find the crampons, you're not missing out on much. If anything, you're missing out on +5kg carry capacity bonus. Crampons aren't THAT good. They aren't vital for your survival. They are just better than nothing.

Who really thought "The one thing TLD is missing is improvised crampons"? It feels like more things to craft for the sake of having more things to craft.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Ghurcb said:

Honestly, I don't see the point in there being an improvised version for crampons. I guess, it's so that you don't have to go to Ash Canyon to find them.

And that's exactly it. What if you want to only live in the Far Territory? I mean right now it's just one zone and a couple transition regions so not much to see, but in another 11 months who knows what it'll look like.

• Upvote 1

Hmm... if the improvised crampons decay slower than their original counterparts, it should probably be reported on the support portal.
I can't imagine that any improvised version of an item was intended to be studier or work better than the "Pre-First Flare" manufactured version.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Has anyone noticed that the Improvised Crampons decay MUCH slower than the regular Crampons? I crafted a pair on day one, and as of day 51 wearing them nearly non-stop they had only decayed to 98%. I just got the "real" Crampons from Ash Canyon, and in the 15 days I've had them, they're already down to 99%.

Even though they weigh 0.25kg more, I'm inclined to think Improvised Crampons are actually superior due to the slower decay...

Day 60 on my Voyageur run and no wear on my improvised crampons.

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Following the logic here, they need to make an "Improvised Technical Backpack" too...

I have a feeling that's the role the Travois is going to fill. Not as a permanent 5kg buff necessarily, but an improvised means of hauling more gear around.

Kinda odd if they do, but I haven't really noticed.

To be fair, I'm not the person to take notice to this kind of thing, since I only slap crampons on when really needed.

"Oh, looks like I'll be doing some climbing. Time to put on the crampons, and take them off when I'm at the top."

"Oh, traveling through Forlorn Muskeg again. Time to put on the crampons to traverse the weak ice better and take them off when I'm gone"

So the things hardly ever break for me.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Following the logic here, they need to make an "Improvised Technical Backpack" too...

The satchel is kind of like that. Next there's the travois.

I like being able to craft my own things. Feels a bit more real. They still need to add snowshoes and skis IMO.  And fish hooks out of pop can pull tabs. I mean, c'mon...

F4OOM02GO6VAB5J.jpg

• Upvote 1

I noticed that my improvised crampons lost few percents only when I got to struggle with wolfe and it attacked my legs. I got damaged boots and crampons. Boots are repaired now, but crampons cannot be repaired. I suspect these might be possible to repair in milling machine.