[UPDATED 09/07/22] - THE LONG DARK - QUALITY OF LIFE UPDATE v2.02 (99904)

Admin

On 8/24/2022 at 2:25 AM, piorun314 said:

Unfortunately my problem with the modification of brightness has not been solved. I still cannot change it on PS4 pro as slider doesn't work. 😔 HDR is fine. Waiting 4 months for update that gave me nothing. I give up. 

We've posted an update to the original post. There appears to be an additional issue, potentially with Unity itself. We're currently investigating and appreciate your patience. 

On 8/23/2022 at 4:55 PM, SpanishMoss said:

Yeah I disagree as well. I'm unsure what could be holding up hinterland, but fixing a bug like that seems like a relatively simple fix (disclaimer: I'm not a coding expert)

A bug like "not enough memory" might be caused by a small amount of faulty code attempting to allocate a large amount of storage to the save file, bigger than the system has.

But because they haven't fixed it, it must have roots in other parts of the code. 

Either way it seems unreasonable for them to have taken this long.

But hinterland has provided a very bug-free experience for countless people, so while it is unfortunate that this bug exists, at least their releases aren't as buggy as other developers (of similar size, EA has no excuse for letting bugs slip through lol).

Issues may seem simple, but they aren't always straightforward. At this point, every Update to either Story Mode or Survival Mode requires re-testing the entire game, which is time-consuming. This is a large reason why we are working to separate the two. (There is more on this in the April Dev Diary.)

In the meantime, we work to ensure we prioritize the quality of our Update. We know some issues are especially frustrating, and we take them seriously. We appreciate your patience as we investigate these issues. 

• Upvote 4

NOTE:

We are still receiving reports that the Brightness Slider is not working on PS4/PS5. We are investigating this complex issue.

Additionally, we are aware of a bug at the end of Episode Three that prevents the Player from receiving a phone call from Molly, which impacts mission progress. 

Thank you for your patience. We will provide updates for these issues as soon as they are available.

• Upvote 1

On 8/23/2022 at 4:59 PM, conanjaguar said:

Undoubtedly, the source of this bug is buried somewhere deep in the game’s code. It would take Hinterland quite a while to find it, possibly an entire year.

hmm...you have inside knowledge on how long it takes to find & fix bugs?  Do tell!

20 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

hmm...you have inside knowledge on how long it takes to find & fix bugs?  Do tell!

Perhaps I shouldn’t have phrased it that way. Reading back over, I sound extremely arrogant and presumptuous.

But yes, the cause of some bugs may be deeply embedded into obscure segments of the basic code of the game. If the cause of a bug is a typo, for example, Hinterland would have to go through every line of the game code, which I imagine is pretty darn long by now.

However, some of the serious bugs, while easily duplicated, are, well, serious. To fix them would likely take a lot of effort and time that Hinterland simply does not have, being busy with the separation of the modes, after all.

I am no expert on these things, but my father works in IT, and I have occasionally dabbled in modding and game design. If you misclick one key or forget a word, the whole thing crashes down.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the update .. 

I do seem to be having an issue with disappearing carcasses. I shot three wolves in bleak this morning and I never found any of them. Or my arrows.  I searched half of the map too so I'm positive I didn't miss them.

On 8/27/2022 at 2:19 PM, Leeanda said:

Thanks for the update .. 

I do seem to be having an issue with disappearing carcasses. I shot three wolves in bleak this morning and I never found any of them. Or my arrows.  I searched half of the map too so I'm positive I didn't miss them.

And at least another three in pleasant valley today.  Most unusual.

This is great but an uncapped FPS for the newer generation consoles would be great as they could easily run it, because if the FPS lock the game is quite hard to play visually, so upping it to 60 would make a world of difference, thanks so much for continuing to read and respond to the community.

• Admin changed the title to [UPDATED 09/07/22] - THE LONG DARK - QUALITY OF LIFE UPDATE v2.02 (99904)

UPDATE (09/07/22): We have released a hotfix to resolve a bug that prevents players from receiving a phone call from Molly at the end of "Aftermath" in Episode Three, which impacts mission progress. Please note that it may take time to update across all platforms. Thank you for your patience as we worked on this issue.

NOTE: We are still receiving reports that the Brightness Slider is not working on PS4/PS5. We are investigating this complex issue and will provide more information as soon as it is available. 

Thank you for your patience.

• Upvote 2

I still do not receive a call from Molly and am unable to progress on the PS5, even though there was an updated version when I opened the game. Has this issue been resolved for anyone playing on PS5? This is my first play through and I've been stuck on the same part for days.

20220907_181934.jpg

Edited by keylyn

37 minutes ago, keylyn said:

I still do not receive a call from Molly and am unable to progress on the PS5, even though there was an updated version when I opened the game. Has this issue been resolved for anyone playing on PS5? This is my first play through and I've been stuck on the same part for days.

20220907_181934.jpg

Have you confirmed the version number that you are playing on (the news pop-up isn't a confirmation that you have received the update, only that the update is rolling out). The update may take time to roll out across all platforms. We appreciate your patience! 

@Admin

A bit of feedback and constructive criticism on the recently “corrected” way to light torches from fires.

I, for one, find it extremely frustrating to have to douse and holster my torch every time I pull a new one. At the same time, when I’m trying to rescue a fire from embers, the one thing I DON’T want to do is relight my torch.

In summary, I think that many of us would appreciate a “fix to the fix”, so to speak. Simply add another button to the UI that opens when you interact with a fire, called “Light Torch.”

2 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

@Admin

A bit of feedback and constructive criticism on the recently “corrected” way to light torches from fires.

I, for one, find it extremely frustrating to have to douse and holster my torch every time I pull a new one. At the same time, when I’m trying to rescue a fire from embers, the one thing I DON’T want to do is relight my torch.

In summary, I think that many of us would appreciate a “fix to the fix”, so to speak. Simply add another button to the UI that opens when you interact with a fire, called “Light Torch.”

I don't think it's such a good idea... I mean, the number of buttons that are shown when you interact with a fire seems to grow with every update. Maybe it's better to keep it from growing further? "Less is more", right?

On 8/25/2022 at 5:15 PM, Ghurcb said:

Unfortunately, it's not a bug. Surveyed locations menu only shows you the locations that are necessary for Faithful Cartographer, and Hinterland decided not to make getting this achievement even more difficult.

Were we ever told that ,

"Hinterland decided not to make getting this achievement even more difficult." ?

Acually I am pleased that I don't have to face those Blackrock Timberwolves again.  Yesterday I finished Faithful Cartographer for thr "n"th time and I did not want to return to Blackrock. 

On 8/23/2022 at 11:45 PM, Murpharoo said:

Thank you but still no fix for the "unable to save due to Insufficient memory" bug ?

I haven't been able to play for more than 6 months in XBox on my longest save of >550 days as it simply won't save the game. 

This bug has been reported many times and remains unfixed. 

I can play new runs and they save fine.  Where is the incentive to start another long run if this bug will at sometime prevent further progress?

I'm beyond frustrated. 

You have even had my save file to help fix the issue. 

What annoys me most is false promises. If Hinterland is unable to fix the savegame bug, why don't just admit it? Why keep promising things and giving false hope if there's no intention to keep the promises? Last time I experienced this kind of behaviour from publisher was Elite Dangerous on Xbox and it didn't end really well for Xbox gamers.

1476856716_Nyttkuva2022-09-08152129.png.9e29e25aaa818cddd87939d88eabdbb0.png

7 hours ago, karnuvaari said:

What annoys me most is false promises. If Hinterland is unable to fix the savegame bug, why don't just admit it? Why keep promising things and giving false hope if there's no intention to keep the promises? Last time I experienced this kind of behaviour from publisher was Elite Dangerous on Xbox and it didn't end really well for Xbox gamers.

I reported the "unable to save due to Insufficient storage " bug and provided my Save file (as requested) in....Feb 2021 !! 19 months ago.

I've given up 😪

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 6:24 AM, karnuvaari said:

We completely understand your frustration and appreciate the patience and understanding from our community.

In every interaction, we prioritize integrity, honesty, and accuracy. Earlier this year, we believed we had found a resolution. Sometimes we need to alter our plans to integrate information that arises during a changing situation, and sometimes issues reveal hidden complexities over time. 

We are currently investigating and working toward a longer-term solution. We will continue to the community informed of any developments. Thank you for your understanding. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for the updates, especially the phone call from Molly. I was running around trying to figure out if i missed anything, as i was stuck on the objective 'leave community hall' for days 😂😂I absolutely love this game😍 So excited for Episode 5. Thanks guys. 😘

• Upvote 1