What's your favorite forge ?

turtle777

What's your favorite Forge ?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/26/2022 at 2:13 PM, piddy3825 said:

I'd have to agree with peteloud regarding the "food" issue at DP.Β  Perhaps the lootable food items are limited on Interloper difficulty but the huntable wildlife provides more than enough calories to sustain a player quite nicely for many days if not weeks at time.Β  Β 

Now I pretty much player stalker mode so in my game play I usually find a sufficient amount of lootable items to tide me over as I get my hunting groove going, but between the nearby bear den in close approximation to the fish processing plant, the deer population down by the Riken and also in the little frozen bay, not to mention the prolific rabbit warren by the stone church I usually harvest more than enough meat to keep my well fed status, pardon the pun, "well fed."Β  Β Not to mention the constant onslaught of wolves that are eagerly lining up to become my next meal and warm garment, not necessarily in that order.Β  For a bonus on calorie production, there's always the moose that typically spawns on the bridge.Β  Β  Not only that, but hunting and harvesting the menacing predators is also relatively easy considering the many vantage points a player can use from which to shower their prey with arrow after arrow if need be.Β  Β 

The only thing I really lament over when camping in DP for any length of time is the absence of two liter cooking pots...

That's of course assuming that your cooking is Level 5 or you're playing on a difficulty where parasites aren't a problem. However, I guess level 5 cooking is fairly easy to get from a couple ravaged deer carcasses if you chop them each into a thousand tiny steaks...

44 minutes ago, Glflegolas said:

That's of course assuming that your cooking is Level 5 or you're playing on a difficulty where parasites aren't a problem. However, I guess level 5 cooking is fairly easy to get from a couple ravaged deer carcasses if you chop them each into a thousand tiny steaks...

I play stalker mode so I'm exposed to all the potential ailments that the game has to offer and have had a few bouts
with parasites early on in the game due to eating bear and wolf meat before reaching level 5 cooking.Β  Β I have however developed a good strategy that allows me to balance out my exposure by eating just enough predator meat that keeps me sustained and then switching to deer to mitigate the parasitic buildup.Β  Β There's more than enough deer running around to keep that balance in check as I rung up the cooking ladder to level 5.Β  Throw in all those bunnies in the area and if lucky a moose appears in game then I'm golden.Β Β 

As to micro harvesting, which I don't practice myself, why pooh pooh such a brilliant workaround, Glflegolas?Β  Β Sometimes I think that the game designers themselves enabled certain practices that could be implemented by players whose resourceful cunning allowed them to thrive despite the rigors they face.Β  Β Β 

I have to quote Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft;Β  Β 
β€œI choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.”

If microharvesting is the answer to quick level 5 cooking, therefore being able to avoid parasitic infection, than I for one applaud the player who figured this out!Β Β 

• Upvote 2

I will admit, the micro harvesting trick is a bit of an exploit, but so is daytime starvation and eating just before bedtime. And climbing down impossibly steep slopes, and a hundred other things, some of which I've done and others that I don't know about. With a game as hard as Interloper though, I don't have a problem with using a few exploits. Still, I'd prefer if the risk of parasites gradually decreased as cooking skill increases, rather than being all or nothing.

I also use the 1 piece of bear/wolf meat per day trick, as I'm OK with a 1% risk of catching parasites per day. I've done the math, and even after 50 days, the risk of catching parasites that way is only 40% or so. By that time you should have Level 5 cooking anyways if you're being proactive.

• Upvote 1

For me it is the FM forge that I use most on interloper. It is not a good place, if You want to stay for leasure, but if You are forging, the heat is enough to counter any blizzard. Food supply is good with all the cattails around. Just take enough torches to reach the BI transition cave for a rest on Your way home to fend off the wolfs.

On 2/27/2022 at 3:08 PM, piddy3825 said:

Ok, but I stillΒ think it only applies in this case to first run loper players.Β Β 

The first forge run is the most critical in IL. Subsequent runs can be anywhere. The first one is most critical because it's race against the clock (50 day cools-down period).

-t

42 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

The first forge run is the most critical in IL. Subsequent runs can be anywhere. The first one is most critical because it's race against the clock (50 day cools-down period).

-t

duh...

didn't I just say that?

• Upvote 2

I use Forlong Muskeg forge 100% of the time in Interloper. FM is by far the best of the three maps for one, I love spending time there and you don't have to go through the small wolf infected access ways of the beginning of Broken Railway or Crumbling Highway. I don't mind BR, but you have to go through FM to get to BR so I forge there, then either spend some time in Milton Basin or make tracks to the northern areas of TMW and AC.Β 

I also find Coastal Highway (and Mystery Lake for that matter) very boring. I do spend some time in Mystery Lake early on in loper runs, so that by day 10 I can leave with my bow and arrows created, but in my 400 hours of TLD game time I have probably spent less than 5 hours in Coastal Highway. ML and CH aren't challenging to survive in, so I avoid them and hence never make it to DP (which is a little boring too as it is soo small).Β 

FM is maybe my favourite region overall, that or TMW or AC, depends on the mood. I would personally love a forge in one of the northern regions, and Blackrock would have made sense. I don't want to have to travel south just to forge, and would love to do a full run staying up in TWM and AC (maybe a bit of PV and Blackrock). Hopefully Perseverance Mills connects to those regions and has a forge!

• Upvote 2

I'm kinda curious now why during all this discussion about favorite forges and FM's apparent lack of coal resources
nobody seemed to mention the coal filled cave that connects Marsh Ridge in FM to the waterfall on the other side of the map?Β  I was actually planning on leaving the area as I was actually looking for the FM to Milton basin transition when I stumbled into the cave.Β Β 

Apparently I had completely forgotten about this isolated system, but what I did find was 13 pieces of coal as I worked my way thru the passageways looking for the exit.Β  Looks like that system is also a replenishing system so although a fair bit removed from the actual forge itself it would serve as an excellent source of fuel for the furnace.Β  I also found a sleeping bag, climbing rope and other useable supplies inside in addition to a deer carcass!Β  Β  Β 

Ok, I must admit, I am liking FM more and more with each passing day...

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

I'm kinda curious now why during all this discussion about favorite forges and FM's apparent lack of coal resources
nobody seemed to mention the coal filled cave that connects Marsh Ridge in FM to the waterfall on the other side of the map?Β  I was actually planning on leaving the area as I was actually looking for the FM to Milton basin transition when I stumbled into the cave.Β Β 

Apparently I had completely forgotten about this isolated system, but what I did find was 13 pieces of coal as I worked my way thru the passageways looking for the exit.Β  Looks like that system is also a replenishing system so although a fair bit removed from the actual forge itself it would serve as an excellent source of fuel for the furnace.Β  I also found a sleeping bag, climbing rope and other useable supplies inside in addition to a deer carcass!Β  Β  Β 

Ok, I must admit, I am liking FM more and more with each passing day...

The cave connector from FM to Bleak Inlet also has a bit of coal, but probably not as many as thirteen.Β  At least not that I recall.Β 

3 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

The cave connector from FM to Bleak Inlet also has a bit of coal, but probably not as many as thirteen.Β  At least not that I recall.Β 

Outstanding!Β  The FM to BK transition cave is also alot closer to the forge making it an ideal source being close by and all.Β  Between the two locations I'd bet a player could collect upwards of 20 or more pieces of coal on a regular basis.Β  Β Wolves can be fairly easily avoided as well as long as you stay on up on the high ground and skirt your way around the outside edges of the map.Β Β 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 1:45 PM, manolitode said:

Here's my favorite forge Legolas.

Β 

external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahajahahahahahahahahaahahahsh lol lol lol lelΒ  lelΒ  lelΒ  lml lml lml XDXDXDXD so ahahah funny hahaha can't hahaha stop laugh ahahaing

• Upvote 2

On 3/13/2022 at 3:55 PM, Bearimpaler101 said:

AhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahHahahahajahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahHHHahahahahahahajπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Would love to hear how that sounds irl.

Upvoted.

Β