Many Wishes: a bike, growing plants, seasons, candles, cooking, second survivor, domesticate wolfes, etc.

KaryDF

8 hours ago, KaryDF said:

That sounds awesome! Is there a chance to get this mods for PS4/5? 

unfortunately no.  Not at this time.  And probably not anytime soon either from what I understand.
I was just recently on the modders discord channel and asked the question about bringing mods to the console user community.  The big issue as I see it is the proprietary way that consoles are built and the subsequent internal programming languages used  which in order to introduce mods requires some serious hacking.  Since the hacks introduce new code unathorized code, the proprietary internal security software subsequently prevents the console from connecting online to the servers basically rendering the unit essentially useless.   You can still play but not online and whatever warranty you had is now null and void.

On a more positive side, suppossedly microsoft recently made some changes to their rules for enabling the developer mode (or more like keeping it enabled) on the Xbox which would allow users some access to content that they currently can't interface with.  For many console unit owners, being able to access the internal developer's node would be a fantastic leap forward in their overall gaming experience.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

unfortunately no.  Not at this time.  And probably not anytime soon either from what I understand.
I was just recently on the modders discord channel and asked the question about bringing mods to the console user community.  The big issue as I see it is the proprietary way that consoles are built and the subsequent internal programming languages used  which in order to introduce mods requires some serious hacking.  Since the hacks introduce new code unathorized code, the proprietary internal security software subsequently prevents the console from connecting online to the servers basically rendering the unit essentially useless.   You can still play but not online and whatever warranty you had is now null and void.

On a more positive side, suppossedly microsoft recently made some changes to their rules for enabling the developer mode (or more like keeping it enabled) on the Xbox which would allow users some access to content that they currently can't interface with.  For many console unit owners, being able to access the internal developer's node would be a fantastic leap forward in their overall gaming experience.

You explained it way better than I could have done. I had wondered why mods weren't available for the console players but this makes sense and hopefully there will be mods for them eventually

On 1/27/2022 at 12:33 AM, KaryDF said:

Candles

Sounds cool, but I don't think think they'd be particularly useful. How would it work? Would it just light up the place for an hour or two before melting? Torches already do that.

Tidy homes/Build mode

I don't know... I think, houses are supposed to be littered and ugly. This is kind of a big part of "vulnerability fantasy" aspect of TLD. 

Growing and watering plants in plant potts inside the houses

1) Even indoors temperatures are usually below zero. Few plants can grow in these conditions. 

2) If cold doesn't kill your veggies, the lack of direct sunlight will. 

3) Plants have to be watered regularly. It would be hard to keep them alive while traveling different regions of Great Bear. And if you stay in the same place for too long, you get bored and uninstall the game. 

4) EVEN IF there's a way to overcome all of these problems (idk, greenhouse-backpack or whatever) it would take MONTHS to grow anything edible. I'm all for delayed gratification, but this is simply not worth the effort.

Realisticly basic stuff in every home

The way I see it, locals took all their belongings with them, leaving towns. What's left is things they forgot to or couldn't take. Then, the (now failed) survivors looted most of what remained. 

Tansportation

In TLD you usually travel some difficult terrain. Even in a few regions that have roads a bicycle would be barely useful.

If we ever get a vehicle (which is highly unlikely), it's gonna be a horse, not something with wheels. 

Survive/thrive skills

Why can't I cook a soup of hunted meat for example, by myself? And why does it take 4-5 kilos of meat to satisfy my for a day? 

why can't he just eat eadible things in his bag like rose-hips?)

And: I would like to hunt some birds. And why does it take two big dead bears to make a coat for one little human? And: Why can't I make a hole in the ice with my axe for fishing?

Short answer: because it's a game.

Devs can't add EVERYTHING into it. Only the things that make for a better gameplay make it in. Keep in mind, their resources are limited, and so are the resources of your PC/console.

Why does meat provide so little calories? Because a single moose would keep you fed for months otherwise. 

Why can't you make your own fishing holes? Because implementing this system would take too much work hours. Hours they could've spent on something better. 

Why don't you need to shower? Because it adds nothing of value to the gameplay. It's a chore. Players don't like doing chores. 

Other players

Multi-player will never be added. Never. 

But if by "players" you mean NPCs... I still don't think it's ever getting added.

Up to this point, NPCs of The Long Dark were either voices from a phone, or stationary quest-givers, or objects you have bring from point A to point B. I don't think Hinterland can do much better. And it's not bad! "Better" might not even be possible!

Just think about it... This "other player" would have to

1) Follow you around everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Thin ice, climbing ropes, "goat passes", tight spaces, caves and mines, rope bridges, fallen trees.

2) Have their own needs. They are a human like you. They can get cold, hungry, tired, sick. It wouldn't feel real otherwise. And so the next point arises... 

3) Pull their own weight. Nobody likes a burden. They'd have to find their own food, clothes, water, meds AND do it all without making the impression like they steal YOUR loot before you find it. They would also have to protect themselves from wildlife and never... Never ever... Never ever forever... Stand in your way. Like, litteraly... The "Get out from the doorway! Let me through, you stupid machine!" should be avoided at all costs. 

4) They should be useful. "Not a burden" is not enough.

5) But not TOO useful. The NPC shouldn't pull YOUR weight for you. It's still a survival game, and it's up to you to survive. You must not fully rely on your companion. 

6) Communicate effectively. How else would you work together?

All that... It's just too much to ask for. Seriously, I can't think of a single game with AI so advanced. 

SEASONS

NO! HELL NO! NO WAY! 

First off, it is easier to make a new survival game than it is to add seasons to TLD. 

Second, The Long Dark is ABOUT surviving in the cold environment. You can't change the thing the game is ABOUT.

And last, according to steam achievements, only 3.5% of all players survived for 100 days in TLD. Admittedly, only 50% survived for a day (which means, tried survival), so you can double that. Still, there's no need to add a change that so few players will get to see. 

And please: Do not make the storymode any harder.

PLEASE DO. Namely, first and second episodes. I played through them on the hard difficulty, and they were easy. Yes, it get harder later on, but those first two are a bit of a turn off for anyone who played enough survival. 

QUESTION: Is it possible to domesticate a wolf

No, it's not. Not in the game, not in the real life. Any relatively effective way to tame/train (but definitely not domesticate) a wolf is animal cruelty. 

And so this wall of text is over. Sorry for being overly critical, but this is a normal amount of critical, in my opinion. Like seriously, this suggestion is basically "I want everything and anything, all at once". 

• Upvote 1

My apologies OP I must've missed the ice fishing part! I'd actually like the ability to make fishing holes! I've thought of that myself once or twice! And I know several people would like fishing at BlackRock and maybe in  Broken Railroad too! 

Edited by Leeanda

On 3/1/2022 at 11:14 PM, The Lord of the Long Dark said:

Nope too all of them. 
 The lantern is a candle. Also developers know that you want to limit the mechanics for being able to read at night without needing fuel. This is a survival game not a camping game. 
  You can’t grow stuff in subarctic conditions period.

A bike. In feet of snow?   Smh. 

The lack of seasons is what makes the game a challenge. If they do seasons the game would be way too easy. It’s also unnecessary anyway. by the time a season change occurred a player already has resources established. It should be opposite- game should get stormier and colder over time. 
  And finally no pets. In a survival situation you eat your pets, not train them.  Plus the loneliness is part of survival. Those who are too weak to survive without a companion are first to die in a survival situation.  
Survival game. Not camping. 

On 3/3/2022 at 7:16 AM, Sam Livinsky said:

But TLD is a survival game. First and foremost. Cozy camp aesthetic doesn't really fit this "vulnerability fantasy" Hinterland want the game to be.

On 3/3/2022 at 7:51 AM, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

After 500 days of interloper, i decided to finally install some mods.  The "remove clutter" mod is satisfying, and , at least if you don't harvest what you're removing, doesn't affect the difficulty any.  The candles mod ,on the other hand, does make life noticeably easier.  You can navigate the interior of your base with ease instead of stumbling around in the dark, and you can read or craft items rather than just pass time in the dark.  It really can make your "downtime" more productive than it would be otherwise.

Altogether, I think the candlelight mod is a worthy improvement to the game that should have been part of it originally, but it does indeed make life a bit easier.  Not much, but a little.

Candles but not on interloper sounds good to me and please don't be rude to others about wanting different game settings 😊😊 thank you

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Candles but not on interloper sounds good to me and please don't be rude to others about wanting different game settings 😊😊 thank you

I think you may have misunderstood what @I_eat_only_wolf_meat was saying.

None of their words were rude or disrespectful. They never said anything about game settings, simply stating about how I was mistaken saying that candles didn't affect the game.

I feel you must have misunderstood their point, which is easily done, though thank you for being polite 🙂

• Upvote 1

I will just give my thoughts quickly on all of these

1. Sure, they can be nice as a very early light source before acquiring a lantern, but I don't think they would have much use after that unless you want to have a "Comfy dinner night" or are low on fuel.

2. Yes please 

3. I typically play a nomadic playstyle, never really staying in one base for more than a week, so I don't think I would like this. As fore more homebody player, I feel like gardening would either be a little too "micromanagey" or just straight up OP

4. Maybe for lower difficulties, but part of the challenge on higher difficulties is the randomness of where loot drops. 

5. Biking in the snow would not be feasible at all. The only faster transportation (That isn't a static point A-B use like a zipline) that would make sense would be horses, but those would be useless in most regions with climbing ropes being common place.

6. Not entirely sure what your asking for here...

6A. Crafted food would be alright of they gave some sort of temporary buff. Eating "4-5 kilos" is there for game balance.

6B. Hunting birds is not a thing because the only bird present are crows, and they aren't so much "animals" (At least compared to the other animals in the game currently) as they are "Ambient textures" that drop feathers near bodies. And hunting them without a shotgun, or without them landing is practically impossible for the average person. And as of right now the game has enough "proper" firearms.

6C. Two bear hides making one coat is another game balance thing.

6D. Making a fishing hole is already a thing.  

6E. Washing would be tedious. Same as having to "answer the call of nature" if you get what I'm saying.

6F. Eating rose hips as a 'last ditch' food option is an all right idea. 

7. While I would like to see seasons (And I think even Hinterland wanted it at one point) it almost certainly is not an idea anymore for multiple reasons. The main thing is that for the past several years TLD is made as a winter survival game, and a new season would firstly partially throw all that out a window, and secondly require them to build an entirely separate game essentially. So it's sadly not possible for TLD, maybe for a potential sequel in the future.

8. The only multiplayer I would like is a Subnautica like "Time capsule" system. I already talked about my idea in another post. Go hear and look for my reply if you want to hear it:

9. While I personally didn't have much trouble with episode 4 difficulty wise (except with the toxic gas in the mine) I can see why some more easy going players would find is too difficult, and do agree it should be toned down for episode 5.

10. It's not possible. and likely never will be. The wolves are hyper aggressive due to the aurora having some affect on them, which is why they start to glow and become worse when an aurora is active.

So those are my though, I hope I didn't come off a rude. I only want to rebuttal with your ideas (Or anyone elses). and have no ill thought on any individual here

Edited by APixelatedLemon
Spelling and grammatical fixes
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I'm sorry but I really can't tell what you're trying to say.  I'm just going to excuse myself from the rest of this conversation.

I think he meant he used your quote to agree with you about the candles!

7 hours ago, Leeanda said:

My apologies OP I must've missed the ice fishing part! I'd actually like the ability to make fishing holes! I've thought of that myself once or twice! And I know several people would like fishing at BlackRock and maybe in  Broken Railroad too! 

Fishing holes!  I'm all for that.  I've been asking about fishing holes since the Hushed River Valley region was
introduced into the game so many updates long ago.   It just makes sense that where there's a lake or even a frozen over stream or small river that there might be fish present in those waters  that a survivor desperate for food or even the fish fuel oil from cooking fish for their lanterns would attempt to chop a hole into the ice and try their luck.

I think I'm gonna drop this suggestion into the modder's discord channel!  They'll probably knock something like that out in a couple of weeks knowing their ingenuity and tech savvy. 

Apologize in advance to you console users who are stuck with vanilla gameplay...

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Fishing holes!  I'm all for that.  I've been asking about fishing holes since the Hushed River Valley region was
introduced into the game so many updates long ago.   It just makes sense that where there's a lake or even a frozen over stream or small river that there might be fish present in those waters  that a survivor desperate for food or even the fish fuel oil from cooking fish for their lanterns would attempt to chop a hole into the ice and try their luck.

I think I'm gonna drop this suggestion into the modder's discord channel!  They'll probably knock something like that out in a couple of weeks knowing their ingenuity and tech savvy. 

Apologize in advance to you console users who are stuck with vanilla gameplay...

It would be nice if we console users could use mods ! Thanks for the info about that by the way! Explains a lot!  It'd be nice if you could post a few pics of one if it becomes available to you🙂

12 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

It would be nice if we console users could use mods ! Thanks for the info about that by the way! Explains a lot!  It'd be nice if you could post a few pics of one if it becomes available to you🙂

You must have missed this post I made earlier about mods for console users.   I was recently on the modder's discord channel and queried the creative talent there and this is/was basically their reply.

"unfortunately no.  Not at this time.  And probably not anytime soon either from what I understand.
The big issue as I see it is the proprietary way that consoles are built and the subsequent internal programming languages used  which in order to introduce mods requires some serious hacking.  Since the hacks introduce new code unathorized code, the proprietary internal security software subsequently prevents the console from connecting online to the servers basically rendering the unit essentially useless.   You can still play but not online and whatever warranty you had is now null and void.

On a more positive side, suppossedly microsoft recently made some changes to their rules for enabling the developer mode (or more like keeping it enabled) on the Xbox which would allow users some access to content that they currently can't interface with.  For many console unit owners, being able to access the internal developer's node would be a fantastic leap forward in their overall gaming experience."

But it might be possible later on down the road that some of these mods in collaboration with Hinterland could be converted into recognized downloadable content.  However, I suspect that if that were to be the case, they would already have the basis for a new TLD II game where all these suggestions have been written into the code and would be sold as a new or enhanced version of the game.  sort of a Director's Cut or Collectors Edition so to speak.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

And add the ability to harvest non-potable water from freshwater fishing holes.  Also the waterfalls.

This has frustrated me a little since I started playing.

That would make a lot of sense and probably should have been incorporated from the get go in my opinion.  
You'd only have to boil the water to make it potable, or better yet now there is a reason to have to use the water
purification tablets.  If you've read the posts on the most useless things in TLD thread, you'll see water purification tablets rank up near #1 as one of the most useless items in the game!  lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

You must have missed this post I made earlier about mods for console users.   I was recently on the modder's discord channel and queried the creative talent there and this is/was basically their reply.

"unfortunately no.  Not at this time.  And probably not anytime soon either from what I understand.
The big issue as I see it is the proprietary way that consoles are built and the subsequent internal programming languages used  which in order to introduce mods requires some serious hacking.  Since the hacks introduce new code unathorized code, the proprietary internal security software subsequently prevents the console from connecting online to the servers basically rendering the unit essentially useless.   You can still play but not online and whatever warranty you had is now null and void.

On a more positive side, suppossedly microsoft recently made some changes to their rules for enabling the developer mode (or more like keeping it enabled) on the Xbox which would allow users some access to content that they currently can't interface with.  For many console unit owners, being able to access the internal developer's node would be a fantastic leap forward in their overall gaming experience."

But it might be possible later on down the road that some of these mods in collaboration with Hinterland could be converted into recognized downloadable content.  However, I suspect that if that were to be the case, they would already have the basis for a new TLD II game where all these suggestions have been written into the code and would be sold as a new or enhanced version of the game.  sort of a Director's Cut or Collectors Edition so to speak.  

Thanks for the info.

Well it would be good if ,or when that happens but the way Microsoft are going with their consoles I'd probably have bought a pc by then!  

Shame really cos we seem to miss out on a lot of stuff like the mods and the time capsule.

Edited by Leeanda

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

That would make a lot of sense and probably should have been incorporated from the get go in my opinion.  
You'd only have to boil the water to make it potable, or better yet now there is a reason to have to use the water
purification tablets.  If you've read the posts on the most useless things in TLD thread, you'll see water purification tablets rank up near #1 as one of the most useless items in the game!  lol

I don't get that even in settings under interloper you can save firewood by just making unsafe water and purifying saves an extra 20 mins in a can and a whole freakin 1 hour in a pot

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Well it would be good if ,or when that happens but the way Microsoft are going with their consoles I'd probably have bought a pc by then!  

Shame really cos we seem to miss out on a lot of stuff like the mods and the time capsule.

well consoles do have their limitations but their relative cost is what keeps them selling year after year.   
considering consoles are about 25% of the cost of a good gaming computer I can see the value they provide, but
yeah, best to start putting some "mad money" aside each month, because in the end it'll be worth the time and expense when you finally buy that gaming rig!  

6 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

well consoles do have their limitations but their relative cost is what keeps them selling year after year.   
considering consoles are about 25% of the cost of a good gaming computer I can see the value they provide, but
yeah, best to start putting some "mad money" aside each month, because in the end it'll be worth the time and expense when you finally buy that gaming rig!  

My problem is that I'm not a fan of digital downloads!  That's why I keep buying the older Xbox! At least if they break down I still have the disc🙂 but considering I've bought three in the last two years maybe I should start saving up those pennies and stop wasting money on these🙂