Many Wishes: a bike, growing plants, seasons, candles, cooking, second survivor, domesticate wolfes, etc.

KaryDF

I'm addicted to this game.

I have a few wishes:

1.  Candles (every home has candles. Especially in winter, at least because of christmas). Funktions: easier to light up (safes Firesticks by lighten up a Fireplace, when it failes) spending light, struggles while it's windy or snowing, more candles = room warms up. Maybe you can find a gas firelighter somewhere near too? 

2. Tidy homes/Build mode (why looks every home so destoryed and messy inside? And: Can there be a funktion where I can tidy up a home? My inner OCD needs that desperately, even in survival situations. At least when I spend days or weeks in a certain shelter. Like a build mode, to repair stuff, bring it in place, close open windows and doors with textiles or something else, ...)

3. Growing and watering plants in plant potts inside the houses (Maybe he'll find some packed seeds in some houses or in a farm? Or in fresh or rotten vegetables?)

4. Realisticly basic stuff in every home (every kitchen should have at least a knife, a spoon, a pot, a bottle and something to eat. Maybe there is more food like flour, vegetables and noodles? Every wardrobe should have at least have one peace of clothing, even if its unecessary, so you can harvest material. At least in villages and "normal" houses). 

5. Tansportation (Maybe someone left a broken bicycle somewhere? Or even better: A bicycle with a basket for stuff? Or maybe I can use a wheelbarrow to move big, heavy stuff a little easier to one place or another, at a straigt distance? If my stuff gets to heavy to climb somewhere down, maybe I can thow some stuff down, that doesn't break so easy, like clothings and my sleeping bag?)

6. Survive/thrive skills (I can make my own clothes out of fur. Why can't I cook a soup of hunted meat for example, by myself? And why does it take 4-5 kilos of meat to satisfy my for a day? I would be colpleatly satisfied with 500-1000g of meat. And: I would like to hunt some birds. And why does it take two big dead bears to make a coat for one little human? And: Why can't I make a hole in the ice with my axe for fishing? What if he is dirty? Can he wash his hands or his body somehow? Because wild animals can probably smell dirty humans easier I think... And when he is almost starving, why can't he just eat eadible things in his bag like rose-hips?)

7. SEASONS (my biggest wish: After 100 days of deep winter there is a chance, that the earth warms up a bit and the snow melts at least for a few days. It'll be a new challenge, since the player can't melt snow for water anymore and needs to find other recurces to get some water. He gets easyly wet, when it's raining. Maybe he can collect rainwater. New mushrooms, sproudlenghts, a few other animals and birdnests with eggs can appear.)

8. Other players (Even if it will never be a multiplayer. But maybe somebody can join us, so we're not alone anymore. We can help each other, need to take care for each other, can do tasks for each other, ... Maybe for the next season of wintermute?)

9. And please: Do not make the storymode any harder. I couldn't manage the last one. Way too many wolfes.

10. QUESTION: Is it possible to domesticate a wolf by feeding him for a few days/two weeks, then gently start to tame it, so he can help to defent me in critical situations and help me hunting? If not, that's another wish.

Thanks for reading! Keep doing your great job! Love, from Germany.
Edited by KaryDF
  • Like 1

• KaryDF changed the title to Many Wishes: a bike, growing plants, seasons, candles, cooking, second survivor, domesticate wolfes, etc.
  • 2 weeks later...

I like all of these suggestions. I wish there was an option to tidy away all those tattered bits of paper, broken tv's and drawers strewn about the place. Surely you could break down tv's for scrap metal, drawers for wood, loose paper to burn and paint pots to use as bongos when the urge arises.

It'd be nice to build enclosures to keep and breed rabbits and wolves ... cages for crows so I can happily shave away for more feathers.

And more craftable items. I enjoy crafting but it's fairly limited. Would be great to create furniture from recycled materials.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 1:33 PM, KaryDF said:

Growing and watering plants in plant potts inside the houses (Maybe he'll find some packed seeds in some houses or in a farm? Or in fresh or rotten vegetables?)

Maybe in TLD2 with Spring / Summer seasons.  The outdoors is just too ridiculously cold to grow anything outdoors, and indoors there simply isn't enough light to grow vegetables.  Or there could be a geothermally powered cave someplace 😄

Really fun idea, though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt Lomax said:

I like all of these suggestions. I wish there was an option to tidy away all those tattered bits of paper, broken tv's and drawers strewn about the place. Surely you could break down tv's for scrap metal, drawers for wood, loose paper to burn and paint pots to use as bongos when the urge arises.

It'd be nice to build enclosures to keep and breed rabbits and wolves ... cages for crows so I can happily shave away for more feathers.

And more craftable items. I enjoy crafting but it's fairly limited. Would be great to create furniture from recycled materials.

If you are playing the game on PC, then you are in luck!

Check out the modding thread for your prayers have been answered.  
Fellow enthusiasts who love the game like you do and who have some skills when it comes to creating modifications to game programs have done just that.
Mods like "Remove Clutter" which allow you to tidy up all those bits of paper scrap, broken tv's and nonfunctional dresser drawers.  It even cleans up broken dishes, cups and plates, not to mention the old plant pots with the dead plants in them littering up the household.   Heck, there's even a "Fox Companion" mod that allows you to have a your own little cute 4 legged furry friend that will follow you where ever you go and that sleeps next to your bed!    Wait, there's more!  Craftable items and clothing, the list just goes on and on and on.  Clothing mods, craftable item mods, you can even read a book while your cooking dinner!    

I now have an assortment of wooden carvings of moose, deer, bears and wolves that adorn the shelves of my home base.  Need some extra lighting?  craftable candle mods!    

Ain't it grand when you can get what you wished for?

Edited by piddy3825
spelling
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Dude #1 there probably will not be a tld2 cause there still working on this game so they probably will get seasons cause of that lol

Not any time soon, right?

But on the other hand, think about it.  Now would be a good time to start the planning stages of what a TLD II story might look like?   It might just be a completely different beast, but then again where does it go as a sequel?  They might just pick up TLD with the Great Thaw!  an end to the years long ice age?  but then in the story, 
it takes place in the winter and only a few days or weeks have gone by, right?    You gotta remember that survival and story really are two separate products if you break it down that way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 1:33 PM, KaryDF said:

I'm addicted to this game.

I have a few wishes:

1.  Candles (every home has candles. Especially in winter, at least because of christmas). Funktions: easier to light up (safes Firesticks by lighten up a Fireplace, when it failes) spending light, struggles while it's windy or snowing, more candles = room warms up. Maybe you can find a gas firelighter somewhere near too? 

2. Tidy homes/Build mode (why looks every home so destoryed and messy inside? And: Can there be a funktion where I can tidy up a home? My inner OCD needs that desperately, even in survival situations. At least when I spend days or weeks in a certain shelter. Like a build mode, to repair stuff, bring it in place, close open windows and doors with textiles or something else, ...)

3. Growing and watering plants in plant potts inside the houses (Maybe he'll find some packed seeds in some houses or in a farm? Or in fresh or rotten vegetables?)

4. Realisticly basic stuff in every home (every kitchen should have at least a knife, a spoon, a pot, a bottle and something to eat. Maybe there is more food like flour, vegetables and noodles? Every wardrobe should have at least have one peace of clothing, even if its unecessary, so you can harvest material. At least in villages and "normal" houses). 

5. Tansportation (Maybe someone left a broken bicycle somewhere? Or even better: A bicycle with a basket for stuff? Or maybe I can use a wheelbarrow to move big, heavy stuff a little easier to one place or another, at a straigt distance? If my stuff gets to heavy to climb somewhere down, maybe I can thow some stuff down, that doesn't break so easy, like clothings and my sleeping bag?)

6. Survive/thrive skills (I can make my own clothes out of fur. Why can't I cook a soup of hunted meat for example, by myself? And why does it take 4-5 kilos of meat to satisfy my for a day? I would be colpleatly satisfied with 500-1000g of meat. And: I would like to hunt some birds. And why does it take two big dead bears to make a coat for one little human? And: Why can't I make a hole in the ice with my axe for fishing? What if he is dirty? Can he wash his hands or his body somehow? Because wild animals can probably smell dirty humans easier I think... And when he is almost starving, why can't he just eat eadible things in his bag like rose-hips?)

7. SEASONS (my biggest wish: After 100 days of deep winter there is a chance, that the earth warms up a bit and the snow melts at least for a few days. It'll be a new challenge, since the player can't melt snow for water anymore and needs to find other recurces to get some water. He gets easyly wet, when it's raining. Maybe he can collect rainwater. New mushrooms, sproudlenghts, a few other animals and birdnests with eggs can appear.)

8. Other players (Even if it will never be a multiplayer. But maybe somebody can join us, so we're not alone anymore. We can help each other, need to take care for each other, can do tasks for each other, ... Maybe for the next season of wintermute?)

9. And please: Do not make the storymode any harder. I couldn't manage the last one. Way too many wolfes.

10. QUESTION: Is it possible to domesticate a wolf by feeding him for a few days/two weeks, then gently start to tame it, so he can help to defent me in critical situations and help me hunting? If not, that's another wish.

Thanks for reading! Keep doing your great job! Love, from Germany.

I like that you can't tame wolves

• Upvote 1

On 2/12/2022 at 2:24 PM, piddy3825 said:

Not any time soon, right?

But on the other hand, think about it.  Now would be a good time to start the planning stages of what a TLD II story might look like?   It might just be a completely different beast, but then again where does it go as a sequel?  They might just pick up TLD with the Great Thaw!  an end to the years long ice age?  but then in the story, 
it takes place in the winter and only a few days or weeks have gone by, right?    You gotta remember that survival and story really are two separate products if you break it down that way.

Yea but and then there might be a story ir for more features for the future lol and u they could also put it as an expansion too!

Edited by Seahawk
Cause I wanted to rephrase it right

18 hours ago, The Lord of the Long Dark said:

Nope too all of them. 
 The lantern is a candle. Also developers know that you want to limit the mechanics for being able to read at night without needing fuel. This is a survival game not a camping game. 
  You can’t grow stuff in subarctic conditions period.

A bike. In feet of snow?   Smh. 

The lack of seasons is what makes the game a challenge. If they do seasons the game would be way too easy. It’s also unnecessary anyway. by the time a season change occurred a player already has resources established. It should be opposite- game should get stormier and colder over time. 
  And finally no pets. In a survival situation you eat your pets, not train them.  Plus the loneliness is part of survival. Those who are too weak to survive without a companion are first to die in a survival situation.  
Survival game. Not camping. 

You seem to like always saying about how it's survival, not camping, but what about people who play it that aren't hardcore loperists? Some people like playing pilgrim or some custom game simply to relax. They could like an optional pet/more decor.

One idea of yours that I do like is the world getting stormer and colder. It would be interesting to have that, but in a way I think its already implemented into loper. Could be wrong though

Some of the ideas, like the bicycle and wolf taming, likely would not fit with the game but I'd say the op has some pretty cool ideas 🙂

Edited by Catlover
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Catlover said:

You seem to like always saying about how it's survival, not camping, but what about people who play it that aren't hardcore loperists? Some people like playing pilgrim or some custom game simply to relax. They could like an optional pet/more decor.

One idea of yours that I do like is the world getting stormer and colder. It would be interesting to have that, but in a way I think its already implemented into loper. Could be wrong though

Some of the ideas, like the bicycle and wolf taming, likely would not fit with the game but I'd say the op has some pretty cool ideas 🙂

But TLD is a survival game. First and foremost. Cozy camp aesthetic doesn't really fit this "vulnerability fantasy" Hinterland want the game to be.

19 minutes ago, Sam Livinsky said:

But TLD is a survival game. First and foremost. Cozy camp aesthetic doesn't really fit this "vulnerability fantasy" Hinterland want the game to be.

Yes, I completely agree, but how would candles turn it into a camping game? Yes, some of the ops suggestions wouldn't work, as I've said, but some of them could be a welcome for some players. 

I'm not saying it isn't a survival game, and I don't want anything to make it easier, but little things to add decor, or tidy up homes wouldn't impact gameplay. 

I just want to say, this is my opinion and I'm not trying to cause an argument, I just feel that what lord of the long dark said was a little harsh.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Yes, I completely agree, but how would candles turn it into a camping game?

After 500 days of interloper, i decided to finally install some mods.  The "remove clutter" mod is satisfying, and , at least if you don't harvest what you're removing, doesn't affect the difficulty any.  The candles mod ,on the other hand, does make life noticeably easier.  You can navigate the interior of your base with ease instead of stumbling around in the dark, and you can read or craft items rather than just pass time in the dark.  It really can make your "downtime" more productive than it would be otherwise.

Altogether, I think the candlelight mod is a worthy improvement to the game that should have been part of it originally, but it does indeed make life a bit easier.  Not much, but a little.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

After 500 days of interloper, i decided to finally install some mods.  The "remove clutter" mod is satisfying, and , at least if you don't harvest what you're removing, doesn't affect the difficulty any.  The candles mod ,on the other hand, does make life noticeably easier.  You can navigate the interior of your base with ease instead of stumbling around in the dark, and you can read or craft items rather than just pass time in the dark.  It really can make your "downtime" more productive than it would be otherwise.

Altogether, I think the candlelight mod is a worthy improvement to the game that should have been part of it originally, but it does indeed make life a bit easier.  Not much, but a little.

Ah, yes that does make sense. Perhaps they could only let off a little light, not enough to read or see much. 

I can see, and agree with your point. Though being able to do things at night could be handy, instead of passing hours and losing precious calories. You can somehow play cards in the dark which, thinking about it, doesn't make much sense imo.

Maybe, as candles do seem a little op, they need a lot of supplies to make? Though I can see how my thinking was a little flawed, not all of the ops suggestions would turn it into a camping simulator like someone had previously said.

Edited by Catlover
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Catlover said:

Maybe, as candles do seem a little op, they need a lot of supplies to make?

They take some rendered animal fat and wicks as it is, but they could be more difficult.  Maybe a "poured" or "molded" candle (instead of a dipped candle)  that would require a mold to be crafted?  I don't know.

But like I said, it's a really good mod.  Lighting has been one of my few gripes about this game - even when it's bright sunny dawn outside, it can still be pitch black indoors for a while.  And interior firelight only goes maybe 2 meters.  After that it's pitch black again, and pixel hunting in the dark is one of the least enjoyable elements of the game.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

They take some rendered animal fat and wicks as it is, but they could be more difficult.  Maybe a "poured" or "molded" candle (instead of a dipped candle)  that would require a mold to be crafted?  I don't know.

But like I said, it's a really good mod.  Lighting has been one of my few gripes about this game - even when it's bright sunny dawn outside, it can still be pitch black indoors for a while.  And interior firelight only goes maybe 2 meters.  After that it's pitch black again, and pixel hunting in the dark is one of the least enjoyable elements of the game.

Yes that's a good idea, lots of work for something that, as I've found out, greatly impacts gameplay. If you don't want to make them, great, but I feel like quite a few players, like pilgrim players, would like them. 

It seems like a good mod, one I've considered getting as I dislike always passing time at night. The lighting has always seemed a little odd, but at least there are also mods that I think fix that too

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Not including mods , I would've thought the best way at the moment is using the lantern's if you want to craft at night! Sure it's going to use a bit of oil but most long time players seem to fish a lot and aquire huge amounts of fuel anyway! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

Not including mods , I would've thought the best way at the moment is using the lantern's if you want to craft at night! Sure it's going to use a bit of oil but most long time players seem to fish a lot and aquire huge amounts of fuel anyway! 

Yes I do agree and as nights are brighter without a lantern in my settings, I don't generally use them for that. 

The idea with candles is the they would last longer than a lantern and thus better suited for late night crafting or reading. Though, I'm not sure if the light from one would be too dim to craft, so lanterns would still be the most useful

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sam Livinsky said:

No offence but one candle used occasionally  doesn't turn it into a camping simulator!  

• Like 2

No offence but one candle used occasionally  doesn't turn it into a camping simulator!  

Exactly what I was trying to say. I want the game to stay difficult as much as the next guy, but a few candles wouldn't impact the game too much. 

I do respect their opinion and see their point, but I don't personally think a candle will tip the scales with survival/camping

Edited by Catlover
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Exactly what I was trying to say. I want the game to stay difficult as much as the next guy, but a few candles wouldn't impact the game too much. 

I do respect their opinion and see their point, but I don't personally think a candle will tip the scales with survival/camping

Not unless they added house fires to the game anyway! Lol  😁 

Seriously though, everyone is entitled to their opinion , its not worth arguing about though . even if HTL did add them! Just cos something's in the game you don't have to use it!  It's just a matter of personal preference. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Not unless they added house fires to the game anyway! Lol  😁 

Seriously though, everyone is entitled to their opinion , its not worth arguing about though . even if HTL did add them! Just cos something's in the game you don't have to use it!  It's just a matter of personal preference. 

Completely agree. Debating is perfectly acceptable, but arguing or putting down ones idea is not. I'm definitely able to see other peoples views on candles, however everybody is entitled to their opinion, whether it makes the game too easy or not

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Completely agree. Debating is perfectly acceptable, but arguing or putting down ones idea is not. I'm definitely able to see other peoples views on candles, however everybody is entitled to their opinion, whether it makes the game too easy or not

Too true. 

Not sure if it'd make it any  easier though really! You can just as easily pass time as you can crafting and use fewer calories probably too. The only thing I'd use them for is to see where I'm going!  I've spent many a time cursing those turned over chairs and drawers  in the middle of the night😁 

• Like 1

I always find it amusing how everybody gets polarized over their views of this "game."  

I think it's fairly obvious this game is not a survival simulator.  Hinterland never intended for it to be portrayed in that way.
It is however,  "survival fantasy!"  Pure and simple.   With all the artistic license that a fantasy game embraces!

The wish list has more posts than any other thread on the forums, over 38,000 posts comprising 183 pages of requests for new items, ongoing ideas for improvement, 
debate and opinion.    If the game mechanics were truer to real life conditions,  then we probably wouldn't be seeing some of the mods that have been introduced by the modding community of players.  As to modding, choose to mod or choose not to mod. 

It's your game afterall, play the way you want to play!

Why just survive, when you can campout and thrive!

• Upvote 4
  • Like 2