Blackrock Issues?

hozz1235

14 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

Take the rope at Fool’s Corner, then head left in the ravine and stick to the right.  You will find another mountaineering rope that goes up.  When you get to the top, stick to the right.  You will come into the mine at the exit point from story mode.  
The mine contains the noise makers and the passcode to the ammo workshop in the prison.  

I actually found it yesterday ,eventually!🙂   Had to leave BlackRock this morning before I died of starvation and cold!  And I'm on pilgrim! Back in sunny PV now. But thanks for the information anyway.

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

I looked all over for that gas shut off valve and not to be found.  I ended up sprinting thru the toxic gas and just barely made it with two seconds to spare.   
At least in storymode if I woulda died I could at least reload from the last save.  So being faced with permadeath in survival mode, makes me wonder if there even
is a gas valve shutoff?  But once you make it thru, no need to go back in ever again, so I guess it is an all or nothing proposition.

I don’t believe they included the shut off valve, I made the sprint with plenty to spare the second time.  
i would recommend offloading some supplies that can be picked back up later (like firearms, timber pieces, heavy clothing, etc.) 

this makes the run faster with the lighter weight, easily doable without the valve.  

i would also recommend playing the episode beforehand. 
…there seem to be members in the community who haven’t been past episode two… but it would behoove to get the practice runs in before survival mode attempts.  

@Semple Fi, yes good point, I was carrying a boat load of crap and my sprint speed was strictly curtailed.  I probably could have saved myself some unnecessary angst if I had merely off loaded some of my excess gear in the handy storage lockers provided at the elevator shaft.  

*note to self, reducing loadout increases sprint speed and survivability...*

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

The actual ground in the workshop is lower than it is displayed. So things can actually "sink" into the ground. It's not by much, but enough to make a hatchet disappear.

13 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

i would recommend offloading some supplies that can be picked back up later (like firearms, timber pieces, heavy clothing, etc.) 

this makes the run faster with the lighter weight, easily doable without the valve. 

And to spare you some headache, drop the stuff at the entrance of the mine and not right before the toxic gas tunnel like I did, or you will have to sprint through the tunnel again in reverse order to pick it up 🙃 🏃‍♂️

Edited by ChillPlayer

2 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

There are some corpses, even a quite famous - or shout I say notorious - one deep inside the prison ;)

Ah yes- I did see that one, good shout!  But no others.  it was a pre update run that i took into BR, as I mentioned it didn't end well so will be interesting to see if any of these issues persist with a new start...

17 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

I don’t believe they included the shut off valve, I made the sprint with plenty to spare the second time.  

i would also recommend playing the episode beforehand. 
…there seem to be members in the community who haven’t been past episode two… but it would behoove to get the practice runs in before survival mode attempts.  

I didn't pay attention to that, and had my main stalker run a "premature end of life event" ^^

I was really heavy loaded when i tried to sprint through the gas, and even reached the elevator, but not much more beyond that. 😭

5 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Ah yes- I did see that one, good shout!  But no others.  it was a pre update run that i took into BR, as I mentioned it didn't end well so will be interesting to see if any of these issues persist with a new start...

Yes there are others, the ones I remember are one in a cave near the Old Substation and one 50m before the mine entrance on the left side (indicated by crows).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Only noticed after a couple of days that I haven't found a single corpse in BR (although sadly I've just changed that...).

The list of mapped locations also didn't have a tab for BR- anyone else had either of these issues?

Apart from in the prison I saw no corpses either. And the location page doesn't contain black rock or the transition areas either.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, past caring said:

There's an ammo workshop in the prison? I don't need to go to Bleak Inlet? Fantastic.....

yeah and honestly it is a pain in the ass to get  the door to open.  You thought Bleak Inslet was a run around to get the code to open the door.  it just got a little more challenging.  time to get your spelunking gear since you're going back into the mine.  start practicing holding you breath...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

yeah and honestly it is a pain in the ass to get  the door to open. 

I find it actually much easier than BI. You can get into the workshop without any timberwolf encounters and only 4 easy wolves to deal with. Enter BR from the Timberwolf cave, sneak right towards Bricklayer's Retreat and then straight east towards the frozen river, where you can climb down a rope into the canyon. Two wolves are standing in your way to the rope then, either shoot or sneak around them, climb the rope and you're at the mine.

The toxic gas section looks scarier than it actually is, just drop some gear to be able to run longer, I've made it to the 2nd floor with 19 sec left (and then I had to repeat this backwards because I dropped my stuff before the toxic tunnel 😕).

And that's pretty much it, climb the rope back up from where you entered the canyon and the prison is just a short wolf-free walk away. On my Stalker run there were two wolves inside the prison yard which I welcomed for the meat, it'd be also easy to make a run for the gap in the fence, just throw some stones. This is for sure a hundred times easier than getting into timberwolf infested cannery.

Another plus side of the prison: lot's of ammo shells and gun powder is lying around everywhere around the prison and many cars have batteries, you can easily make more than 60 bullets in there, the limit is only how many shells you've brought with you. And there are no suprises in the workshop either, at least on my playthrough the room was empty.

It's also much easier to wait for the aurora, if you need food you can just hunt some more wolves. Honestly, I see no reason to get into BI again on any of my future playthroughs save for maybe the polaroid - but I will craft all my ammo in BR ;)

25 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

I find it actually much easier than BI. You can get into the workshop without any timberwolf encounters and only 4 easy wolves to deal with. Enter BR from the Timberwolf cave, sneak right towards Bricklayer's Retreat and then straight east towards the frozen river, where you can climb down a rope into the canyon. Two wolves are standing in your way to the rope then, either shoot or sneak around them, climb the rope and you're at the mine.

The toxic gas section looks scarier than it actually is, just drop some gear to be able to run longer, I've made it to the 2nd floor with 19 sec left (and then I had to repeat this backwards because I dropped my stuff before the toxic tunnel 😕).

And that's pretty much it, climb the rope back up from where you entered the canyon and the prison is just a short wolf-free walk away. On my Stalker run there were two wolves inside the prison yard which I welcomed for the meat, it'd be also easy to make a run for the gap in the fence, just throw some stones. This is for sure a hundred times easier than getting into timberwolf infested cannery.

Another plus side of the prison: lot's of ammo shells and gun powder is lying around everywhere around the prison and many cars have batteries, you can easily make more than 60 bullets in there, the limit is only how many shells you've brought with you. And there are no suprises in the workshop either, at least on my playthrough the room was empty.

It's also much easier to wait for the aurora, if you need food you can just hunt some more wolves. Honestly, I see no reason to get into BI again on any of my future playthroughs save for maybe the polaroid - but I will craft all my ammo in BR ;)

appreciate your lenghty discourse on how to.  this will definitely come in handy for a player who hasn't yet obtained the codes.  my two cents is to unload all superflous gear in one of the lockers provided before going down the elevator.  when you do finally get to the gas, just pace yourself and walk on thru.  I carried a lantern for maximum illumination as the gas does tend to obscure visibility a bit.

as for me, been there, did that...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChillPlayer said:

I actually found the climb to the mine quite challenging. There are two ropes to climb up, one quite lengthy which I needed to stop on the ledge to recover stamina, and even then only just made it to the top.

And leaving the mine I went the other way via the canyon rather than climbing back up to Fool's Corner.It's an easy walk which you come out just near the prison.

Maybe I'm missing something with the last few posts (I'm currently in PV and was next off to BI to craft some ammo - but now thinking of going to Blackrock instead) - but if the ammo workshop is in the prison, why go to the mine at all? I've played Episode 4 of Story Mode so I'm assuming you can still walk in through the front gate?

43 minutes ago, past caring said:

Maybe I'm missing something with the last few posts (I'm currently in PV and was next off to BI to craft some ammo - but now thinking of going to Blackrock instead) - but if the ammo workshop is in the prison, why go to the mine at all? I've played Episode 4 of Story Mode so I'm assuming you can still walk in through the front gate?

You need the door code to get in, same as you do  in bleak.

Edited by Leeanda

3 hours ago, past caring said:

you didn't think it was just gonna that easy to just waltz up to the prison and make bullets did you?  
prepare to face the rigours of entry by making yet another perilous journey to the mine, sans the rope bridge and 
stumble your way thru the mine for those door access codes.  remember all that shooting in episode 4?  bullet casings laying all over the place, a reloader's dream come true!  Next challenge is pulling those battery's outta those trucks that @hozz1235pointed out.  At least you'll stylish in your new ballistic vest!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, past caring said:

There's an ammo workshop in the prison? I don't need to go to Bleak Inlet? Fantastic.....

Yes…. And on that note, make sure to load up with coal while you’re in the mine, it’s pretty sparse throughout the rest of blackrock it seems.  You’ll need it for the furnace in the ammo workshop.  

4 hours ago, past caring said:

Annnnnnd I quoted you in another post, but, you NEED to visit the mine for coal.  

7 hours ago, Levelgrinder said:

I actually found the climb to the mine quite challenging. There are two ropes to climb up, one quite lengthy which I needed to stop on the ledge to recover stamina, and even then only just made it to the top.

And leaving the mine I went the other way via the canyon rather than climbing back up to Fool's Corner.It's an easy walk which you come out just near the prison.

More challenging then nagivating your way through a camp of timberwolfs to get to the rope in BI? There's a cave at the base of the rope climb where you can fully rest up and another cave on top of the two ropes, I don't find this climb challenging at all.

And I never went through Fool's Corner in- or out of the canyon, again to many chances to run into timberwolves on the way up there. The climb further down the canyon is much safer.

3 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

Annnnnnd I quoted you in another post, but, you NEED to visit the mine for coal.  

No you don't this isn't a forge where you need to get it to 150C, you can fire it with reclaimed wood if you can't find anything else. It just needs to be burning long enough for crafting the bullets. And if you are in need of coals, most caves around BR have some lying around. The only real reason for getting into the mine is the code.

• Like 1