Will or Astrid?

Leeanda

Who do  you chose to play as? After originally starting with Will on several saves when he disappeared over the edge of a cliff! I decided to try Astrid! Then after a Hally 700 day run I sadly lost her I decided to give Will another run!  BIG mistake! After about 5 days in I noticed that he was complaining a bit! By day 15 I realised that I wanted to throw him off the cliffs - soft of accidentally- when being under carry weight I picked 1 stick up and he suddenly decided that it was too heavy a load to carry! Luckily for him I decided to open the nearby plane containers and got so much good loot that his life has now been saved! 

So I wondered who picks which and why?

I tend to alternate though I can lean nowadays toward Astrid because of an otherwise very minor thing he sometimes does as a preface to a "gotta drop some gear"  comment which sounds like clearing his throat.  Most all other comments I just take in stride, but him doing a kind of clearing his throat before commenting just drives me WILD.   I usually take his comments as sotto voce but that one comment just rubbed me so wrong when I heard it. 

A few times I have gone onto a rock and jumped off (non-lethal height) and did it repeatedly until he had all wrists and ankles sprained, lost 50% or more of condition, and damaged his clothing.  I have to deal with all that but it is all I can do to get it out of my system. 

Other than that little idiosyncrasy in his comments, I have learned that his comments and emotes actually reflect something about the character - the load he is carrying, the state of his fatigue, of course his state of hunger and thirst.  If that one comment was not there, I could say I'd have no real preference. 

• Like 1

I turn off the comments so it makes very little difference to me. I've played both and I am fine with whoever, but if you're looking to max out your game Astrid's hand is slightly smaller which gives you a little better vision when throwing rocks at rabbits. At least I find it a little better.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

few times I have gone onto a rock and jumped off (non-lethal height) and did it repeatedly until he had all wrists and ankles sprained, lost 50% or more of condition, and damaged his clothing.  I have to deal with all that but it is all I can do to get it out of my system. 

Thank you, I do that to Astrid often!😊we're a good team. 

I most often play as Will, partly because I'm a man, partly because I find Astrid's in-game voice makes it sound like she's really bored all the time. The main complaint about Will is that he seems to have an addiction to pop. Every time he finds one, he says "Exxxcellent". The irony is that I can't stand pop, so my real comment to finding a can of pop in a filing cabinet would be "Ughh..."

It would be cool, though, if there actually was some difference between Will and Astrid's stats in-game. Maybe Will could carry 5kg more than Astrid when he's not tired, but could carry 5 kg less when he is fully tired? Or make it such that Will's sprinting stamina is a bit greater, but Astrid takes longer to tire? IDK

• Upvote 1

Agreed on the last part!! Unfortunately the equality mentality is riding high and many are afraid to acknowledge that men and women are different. We have our strong points and our weaknesses; and so do women.

For example, I can lift more weight, but whine a whole lot more and sooner when getting hungry. 

21 hours ago, Jynxer said:

I was thinking today as I was playing, about the studio time the voice actors put into this...

imagine going into work one day and being told, you have to huff and puff for a few hours!! 😝😝

With proper arrangements, everything would come naturally. 

I play both. Like odizzido, I prefer to mute character audio, unless it's a wintermute playthrough. I find the lines about hunger and cold really annoying because they happen over and over if I'm doing starvation, but can appreciate little quips about surviving another day etc.

I think the 4 bars on the lower left are easy to stay aware of and more accurate than the contents in the voice lines for my purposes, but I understand some folks want the least gui visible for immersion. You'd probably want it on in that case 😅

Edited by darkscaryforest
words, words everywhere