What do you eat, bear?

Stinky socks

Since bears are omnivores, I think it would be cool if they added evidence of the bears having eaten rosehips... i.e. adding in destroyed/ruined rosehip bushes into the game.  Much like tree scrapings indicate areas where moose may spawn, ruined rosehip bushes could indicate where bears might spawn.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 2

On 4/15/2021 at 10:12 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

Since bears are omnivores, I think it would be cool if they added evidence of the bears having eaten rosehips... i.e. adding in destroyed/ruined rosehip bushes into the game.  Much like tree scrapings indicate areas where moose may spawn, ruined rosehip bushes could indicate where bears might spawn.

I was thinking the same thing but have you noticed there are many bare-looking bushes which could be rosehips they have eaten?

What about the static carcasses in the game?  They could be the one who caught and ate those?

15 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I was thinking the same thing but have you noticed there are many bare-looking bushes which could be rosehips they have eaten?

What about the static carcasses in the game?  They could be the one who caught and ate those?

The shrubs in game do look different than the rosehip bushes after we harvest the berries from them.  I was thinking something more definitely a rosehip... perhaps with only a single, unharvested berry still hanging on it and broken branches and a flattened look to it.  I've seen such patches of bushes while riding in the mountains.

I generally put the deer carcasses off to wolves, except the ones in caves without wolves in them.  Those I would say are carcasses that bears have drug into a cave to finish off.  I don't think black bears often (if ever) take down live, healthy adult deer IRL.  Grizzlies are quite a bit larger and may take down an occasional deer or moose, but I still think it doesn't make up a large percentage of their diet.  I tend to think of bears more as opportunists... snacking on whatever they can find (so they won't say no to a handy carcass or a weakened animal), but they primarily eat berries, fish and grubs and such. 

On 4/16/2021 at 9:29 PM, Stinky socks said:

Hmm, well we don't see deer eat either. Perhaps the animation for them is absent and whenever they want to eat, they bow down and in their mind, loading circle appears and when it's circled around: "yep, feeling full! Time to walk again!"

Being the only decent-sized source of prey, maybe they have no time to eat. Can't be much fun, being on the bottom of the TLD food chain

• 3 weeks later...

I was under Spruce Falls Bridge in Milton once. I came in the back way from the trailer and started up the hill towards the bear cave. Along the way a couple of rabbits got in front of me and ran up the hill ahead. The went around the the big rock on the right and SQWEEEEEEEEE!. The bear apparently killed one of them. I didn't actually see the bear attack the rabbit but it was the exact sound a rabbit makes when a wolf kills one. That's the only time I've seen (heard) a bear be aggressive towards anything besides me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, BlinkMoFried said:

Same here... not even a single one. 😐

It's been a while since I've played, but don't they stop and dip their head to the ground?  Animals will do that when "rooting through the snow" looking for grass just below the surface.