My issues with the challenges

Mig_zvm

As far as I know, there are no custom options for any of the challenges.  I think it would be nice if future challenges had difficulty options or custom options were implemented into modes like Darkwalker and such.

That or better yet I would like to see options that were centered around having only one region inhabitable and the rest constant blizzards or something, with maybe a feat that started you out immediately with a magnifying lens and arrowheads or something so we could dedicate ourselves to one region entirely with no need to go elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Mig_zvm said:

As far as I know, there are no custom options for any of the challenges.  I think it would be nice if future challenges had difficulty options or custom options were implemented into modes like Darkwalker and such.

That or better yet I would like to see options that were centered around having only one region inhabitable and the rest constant blizzards or something, with maybe a feat that started you out immediately with a magnifying lens and arrowheads or something so we could dedicate ourselves to one region entirely with no need to go elsewhere.

I agree with @ManicManiac about your first idea. altough, I believe it would be a nice toutch if we could customise our playtrough's more with the custom options. as i talked in another topic of wich i forgot the name, being able to decide what you spawn with (and what dosent spawn in the game), the duraion of the day and night (separately) , the average world coldness ( in degrees) , the aurora spawn chances and so on. to be able to make cahotic and unpredictable possibilities and pushing the game's difficulty to its maximum. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I'm a big advocate for custom options in the main survival game and for allowing feat progression to occur in Custom survial playthroughs.  However, where the scripted challenges are concerned, I don't think they should be added/allowed.  As @ManicManiacstated... stepping up to the set challenge is the point.  Certainly, Hinterlands could create catagories for the challenges and classify them into groups (e.g. Easy, Medium, and Hard).  Since only one challenge involves a tangible reward in the form of a feat, this would only be a cosmetic indicator to the player of the relative level of challenge the player is undertaking.  If they want to continue to award feats related to challenges and not attainable within the main game, they should then perhaps have different levels of the same feats available (e.g. the ones attained in Easy Challenges giving the same type of perk as the one attained in Harder challenges, but not providing the same degree of benefit... say, a 1% boost to X if earned in an easy challenge and a 2% boost to X if earned in a hard challenge.  Hard ones would overwrite the Easy counterparts.

All that said, I don't think it's really practical for them to change the "system" at this point in time.  It might better be something they consider for TLD2.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I mean to each their own... but if there are variable difficulties (for each one), then in what sense would they still be "challenges?"
I think that stepping up to the challenge is kind of the whole point.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

I know they had talked about adding new challenges for the possible dlc, but I feel like the ones there are not very interesting.  The Darkwalker is okay, but I mostly want to complete it to access the feat.

My whole thing is that I would rather Hinterland would add more custom options for us to create our own challenges in survivor mode.

1 hour ago, Syraith said:

I was actually surprised they didn’t offer the standard difficulty settings when starting them. A couple I think are fine with a default difficulty but others seem like they’d be fun to try on harder settings.

This is what I am saying.  The entire point of taking on a challenge is pointless if it is not a challenge and being able to incorporate the conditions into the survival mode would allow us to create our own challenges.

I think more to the point than anything else is that the challenges totally subvert away from how EXCELLENT it is to have custom settings in survival mode and for us to be able to tweak our own challenges, even though I am not totally opposed to the idea of Hinterland setting their own challenges for us.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Syraith said:

I was actually surprised they didn’t offer the standard difficulty settings when starting them. A couple I think are fine with a default difficulty but others seem like they’d be fun to try on harder settings.

I"m sure their reasoning ties into the scripted events that occur within these challenges.  The Hunted, for example, is totally  incompatible with standard Pilgrim Mode.  As another example... interloper blizzard frequency is totally incompatible with The Whiteout challenge.  The standard difficulty modes are also not linear increases in difficulty.  Instead, they also change the balance of the game.  Stalker, in some ways, is more difficult than interloper.  They would have to rebalance each difficulty setting offered for each challenge separately.  That's a lot of work for what amounts to a meaningless badge (for all challenges so far except Darkwalker, which gives a feat).

@Mig_zvmI'm all for adding more Custom settings into the Survival mode game.  It's the scripted events within the Challenges that I can't see working well with the variability of the custom settings.  Imagine a Whiteout challenge if someone turns the Blizzard Frequency setting to None while jacking up all the wolf agression settings and spawns to the max.  The challenge then would be more than challenging... it would be impossible to complete because the big blizzard couldn't happen.  HInterland could add in other difficulty settings for any or all of the challenges, but I do think they have to maintain, in this case, control of the challenge's balance to ensure the scripted events work at any difficulty the player could select.  We don't have "custom" story mode either... likely for the same reasons.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Like 1

@UpUpAway95 I agree. Some are set to a difficulty because the challenge needs to be completed under certain circumstances. Challenges like  Hopeless Rescue, Nomad, Archivist, and possible the Escape the Darkwalker would be nice to do under differently circumstances. It’s likely easier to just all or none, but I’m just sayIng not all of them necessarily are reliant on the difficulty.

20 hours ago, Mig_zvm said:

You do this by self regulating and it's actually really fun and is what I do whenever a new region is added. I've done it for every region in both interloper and stalker and you can survive in all of them without extra starting gear. Not very long mind you, ash canyon and desolation point are nightmares. You might get extra carrying capacity, but that doesn't matter when there's not even 35 k.g of gear in the region.

4 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

You do this by self regulating and it's actually really fun and is what I do whenever a new region is added. I've done it for every region in both interloper and stalker and you can survive in all of them without extra starting gear. Not very long mind you, ash canyon and desolation point are nightmares. You might get extra carrying capacity, but that doesn't matter when there's not even 35 k.g of gear in the region.

This is all I do anymore and I love it.  Although, when I play a stranded run on Ash Canyon I include the summit of TWM.  It makes it more fun for me.

I definitely prefer to just use a little player choice and make my own personal challenges.
I've been doing this in survival for the last couple of years, and it's been a source of endless entertainment for me.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

On 4/1/2021 at 11:44 AM, RegentRelic said:

This can even be a half-decent challenge on Voyageur TBH. I once started in Hushed River Valley in Voyageur and stayed there for 14 days and, I'd have to say, the first week or so was considerably more challenging than I first predicted. And I'm somebody who knows most of the regions fairly well.

I tried living for 14 days in Broken Railroad  without leaving on Stalker and... I did not succeed. I lasted about a week or so. On the other hand, I tried this same challenge in Pleasant Valley and it was pretty trivial. When you're confined to a region, Broken Railroad and Desolation Point can actually be much harder to survive in than you might think, simply because they're so small that you'll get all the loot that's to be had very quickly. Broken Railroad also has a lot of wolves that are tricky to avoid (especially in Stalker), which doesn't make life any easier.

• Like 1