Realistic Custom difficulty

alone sniper

Hi guys. 
Hope your doing fine 😄
So, I wanted to play a new custom difficulty story and write in game journal. 
I am an amateur, Mostly write in my native language and all. And In My writing I Usually Stick to "Realism". So, as you can tell, I wanted to " Write - Play " my story in long dark. I myself, Don't want something like pilgrim difficulty where there is almost no challenge like struggling and starving that eventually will cause my story to be boring and on the other hand, I think Interloper is too much of challenge and it will effect my story in bad way (e.g. almost always starving, struggles are deadly, weather is always bad and .etc )
So, Can you guys please give me a custom difficulty code, or at least give me some ideas  e.g.  How wolf struggle in real life, scent mechanism, weather, starvation, item decay, resources availability, freezing and things like that works in real life so I can kinda tune my story which leads to a realistic game for me? 

Thanks in advance And sorry for bad English ! 

Edited by alone sniper

16 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

...I mean, why not just use the custom settings and tune a set of them more to your liking?  That's kind of what it's for.  Then you'll have your own code.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

I exactly plan to do this but I don't know how should every option on custom be in order to be as close as possible to real life. For example I know wolf do not typically attack people so " wolf fear" should be like medium. But How about the other option? Freezing, weather, thirst etc. 

@alone sniper
I see... well for the most part it may just come down to you experimenting with what you think the closest to what you're looking for is.
What might be "close enough to realistic" for one person, might not feel right to you.

It's probably best for you to be the judge of what all the settings "should be"...  For the most part I find that there are very few who agree on what the "perfect settings" are because that's all very subjective.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 10:50 PM, jhickie said:

Deadman - Stalker wolves, Interloper weather & loot, no condition recovery, low natural resource spawn, max detection range, max thirst/hunger/calorie burn, max wind variability, no BBT (self-imposed).
custom code: 8MHI-/z8M-Dw+/-wSWm-bAAA

Endangered Species - created by darkSol
Interloper wolves/weather/loot, max detection range, no rabbits/fish/deer/bears, low wolves/moose, low natural resource spawn, high thirst/hunger/calorie burn, low condition recovery.
custom code: 8sHM-rg8P-Dw9L-DXNe-VAAA

Outlast - created by Crasset
Interloper mode, no condition recovery (BBT allowed), no fish, low wildlife spawn, max respawn time, max detection range, max thirst/hunger/calorie burn.
custom code: 8MHI-/z8P-Dz+r-Qfal-fgAA

Sleepwalker - created by Bareskin
Interloper mode, no condition recovery at sleep, very low recovery while awake, max thirst/hunger/calorie burn, max fatigue/freezing.
custom code: 8MHM-/j8P-Kxun-g6GO-7gAA

On 10/15/2019 at 11:35 PM, ManicManiac said:

Against All Odds - created by @Hadrian
Custom Settings Code : 8pnM-mioP-GgoH-Df9d-+gAA
(Named after his long running TLD series on YouTube - this custom code was created and used for Against All Odds: Season 5)
(First episode of S5 goes over the particulars of the custom settings)

On 8/1/2020 at 6:13 AM, Loonsloon said:
My settings build off the original Deadman Challenge but I've tweaked it to maximize the harshness (as I see it) and make it 'the worst it can be'. We'll review the custom settings in Episode 1.

The custom code I'm using is: 8sHM-/z8P-Ly+3-gZym-OAMC
On 7/21/2019 at 5:26 AM, Loonsloon said:

In this run I've changed a few options to maximize the harshness of it so that it is 'the worst it can be' (see Day 1 for details).  I'm also still playing 1.47 for the 'classic' terminal deadman experience (i.e., no birch bark tea).  The custom code I'm using is:

8MHI-/z8P-Dw+r-QQCm-bAAA

@alone sniper Here's a handful that you can experiment with... It's just pulled from the first two pages of search results; so I imagine there are more out there.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

I would make a note of the settings as they are in the various standard modes of the game.  This will give you an idea of the degree to which they vary (or not vary) among them... and then adjust individual settings to your liking and worry less about "realism."  Realism isn't really possible, IMO.

For example... Keep in mind that the weather is no way realistic for the region in which the game is set.  The backstory of the game is all about the weather being unusual, not realistic 

The devs have said they've based the setting on the West Coastal region of Canada... which actually has very mild winter weather, seldom falling much at all below freezing.  The East Coast of Canada is much colder.  Where I live (in the Foothills of Alberta), the temperatures generally only fall into the -30C's for about two weeks over an entire winter and a weather phenomenon known as a Chinook can raise the temperature from the -30C's to +10C in a single day... and, in the process, take away the snow on the ground almost completely.  Farther onto the Prairies, these Chinooks don't happen, so they can stay bitterly cold for the entire winter season.  Of course, farther North (above the Arctic circle), the mean temperatures over the winter are much colder than the area in which I live.

Another bit of realism... wolves are not that common (at least in the Eastern Rockies).  I've only run across very few in my entire lifetime here... and they've all run away when they got wind of me.  Coyotes are more common, but they too can be elusive to spot.  However, cutting the spawn rate of the wolves to "low" and raising their fear level really lowers the challenge of the game, so it's probably not something that would satisfy you.  Realism?  Well, I've encountered far more black bears and moose while camping in the Rockies, than I have wolves.  Heck, I've even spotted more grizzlies.

I googled some population stats, just for fun.  Wolves in Canada - 50,000, Deer in Canada - 400,000, Moose in Canada - 500,000 to 1 million.  Black bears in Canada - 900,000, Coyotes in Canada - 35 million.  Grizzly Bears in Canada - 25,000.  Cougars in Canada - 4,000.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Like 4

You can never alter the settings to really reflect the reality, nor have I tested how this actually plays, but I went through every point and these were what I came up with, closest resembling hint of reality

CODE: 8MVE-AQAO-HwtC-CsQU-eIIA

Baseline resource availability - Low
Starting time of the day - Random
Starting weather - Random
Indoor spawns permitted - No
Survival monologue - No

Length of the day multiplier - 1x
Weather  variability - Medium
Blizzard frequency - Low
World gets colder over time - Low
Wind variability - Low
Aurora frequency - Low
Fire overcomes ambient temp - No
Endless night - No

Calorie burn rate - Low
Thirst rate - Low
Fatigue rate - Low
Freezing rate - Low
At-rest condition recovery rate - Low
Condition recovery rate - Low
Hypothermia recovery rate - Low
Frostbite rate - Low
Cabin fever - No
Intestinal parasites - Yes
Dysentery - Yes
Sprains - Yes
Food poisoning - Yes
Broken ribs - Yes
Rest as resource - Yes
Fires prevent freezing - No
Wake up player when freezing near fire - Yes
Birch bark tea crafting - No

Item decay rate - Low
Loose item availability - Low
Empty container chance modifier - High
Stick, branch and stone respawn frequency - Low
Starting gear allocation - Low
Rifle availability - No
Revolver availability - No
Harvestable plant availability - Low
Reduce container item density - High

Fish spawn chance - Low
Wolf spawn chance - Low
Timberwolf spawn chance - Low
Deer spawn chance - Low
Rabbit spawn chance - Low
Bear spawn chance - Low
Moose spawn chance - Low
Time to wildlife respawn - Low
Reduce wildlife population over time - Medium
Wolf spawn distance - Close
Predator grace period - No

Wildlife smell range - High
Scent increase from meat/blood - High
Passive wildlife - No
Wildlife attacks during rest - Yes
Wolf fear - Low
Timberwolf morale - Low
Wildlife detection range - Far

Struggle bonus - None
Struggle condition damage modifier - High
Struggle clothing damage modifier - High
Struggle damage severity - Very high

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Re: my previous post, perhaps in hindsight the most logical/realistic take on wolfs would actually be having no regular wolves at all, so setting at "none". Timberwolves could either remain at "low" or even go as high as "high".

This way you could theoretically mimic a real regional wolf population which is concentrated on specific area (Bleak Inlet) and which works in packs, rather than bunch of random lone wolfs roaming all around the Great Bear.

Also, one could argue on having bears either on "low" or "none", because of the hibernation.

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mistral said:

Re: my previous post, perhaps in hindsight the most logical/realistic take on wolfs would actually be having no regular wolves at all, so setting at "none". Timberwolves could either remain at "low" or even go as high as "high".

This way you could theoretically mimic a real regional wolf population which is concentrated on specific area (Bleak Inlet) and which works in packs, rather than bunch of random lone wolfs roaming all around the Great Bear.

Also, one could argue on having bears either on "low" or "none", because of the hibernation.

This would probably be more realistic.  I think bears should be a "low" because they do break their hibernation from time to time for short periods... although one can't change their AI to avoid them wandering about for most of the day and night and only sleeping for very short periods.  Aurora frequency can be quite high during the winter months (just not noticeable in areas where there is a lot of light pollution).  However, the unrealistic reaction of the animals in the game can't be changed by the player, so I would almost be inclined to set the frequency of the aurora to None if realism was my primary objective.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

This would probably be more realistic.  I think bears should be a "low" because they do break their hibernation from time to time for short periods... although one can't change their AI to avoid them wandering about for most of the day and night and only sleeping for very short periods.  Aurora frequency can be quite high during the winter months (just not noticeable in areas where there is a lot of light pollution).  However, the unrealistic reaction of the animals in the game can't be changed by the player, so I would almost be inclined to set the frequency of the aurora to None if realism was my primary objective.

Yes and the other fantasy effect of the Aurora is obviously the electricity turning on. The only region unaffected by that consideration is HRV

Upon reflection I've also come to conclusion that perhaps Dysentery should be turn off too, because obviously in real life you could eat 99,9% of the snow / melted non-boiled snow without getting any harm whatsoever, other than the cooling down effect

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 2

On 3/31/2021 at 2:23 PM, Mistral said:

You can never alter the settings to really reflect the reality, nor have I tested how this actually plays, but I went through every point and these were what I came up with, closest resembling hint of reality

CODE: 8MVE-AQAO-HwtC-CsQU-eIIA

Baseline resource availability - Low
Starting time of the day - Random
Starting weather - Random
Indoor spawns permitted - No
Survival monologue - No

Length of the day multiplier - 1x
Weather  variability - Medium
Blizzard frequency - Low
World gets colder over time - Low
Wind variability - Low
Aurora frequency - Low
Fire overcomes ambient temp - No
Endless night - No

Calorie burn rate - Low
Thirst rate - Low
Fatigue rate - Low
Freezing rate - Low
At-rest condition recovery rate - Low
Condition recovery rate - Low
Hypothermia recovery rate - Low
Frostbite rate - Low
Cabin fever - No
Intestinal parasites - Yes
Dysentery - Yes
Sprains - Yes
Food poisoning - Yes
Broken ribs - Yes
Rest as resource - Yes
Fires prevent freezing - No
Wake up player when freezing near fire - Yes
Birch bark tea crafting - No

Item decay rate - Low
Loose item availability - Low
Empty container chance modifier - High
Stick, branch and stone respawn frequency - Low
Starting gear allocation - Low
Rifle availability - No
Revolver availability - No
Harvestable plant availability - Low
Reduce container item density - High

Fish spawn chance - Low
Wolf spawn chance - Low
Timberwolf spawn chance - Low
Deer spawn chance - Low
Rabbit spawn chance - Low
Bear spawn chance - Low
Moose spawn chance - Low
Time to wildlife respawn - Low
Reduce wildlife population over time - Medium
Wolf spawn distance - Close
Predator grace period - No

Wildlife smell range - High
Scent increase from meat/blood - High
Passive wildlife - No
Wildlife attacks during rest - Yes
Wolf fear - Low
Timberwolf morale - Low
Wildlife detection range - Far

Struggle bonus - None
Struggle condition damage modifier - High
Struggle clothing damage modifier - High
Struggle damage severity - Very high

Thanks man. 
Exactly what i was looking for ☺️

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have tried also look something like this, also been played with custom settings but not sure how i would set everything.
but for start i thought that maybe some magnetic storm fits in my play,that nature is more colder...
and needed to think how i end up in great bear island and how long is from the time when people lived there....that kind of sets how much stuff there is anymore left in buildings.
also im thinking to set time multiplayer to a bit slower than vanilla cos im slow writer...but not sure if time is paused when write journal.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to search "realistic" custom mode, but recently I created something different. This has been interesting experience so far and I would recommend this, if you want something, which is mix of stalker and interloper+ other small nuances here and there. It is called "predator`s apocalypse". Maybe too long name and not the most creative one, but that`s not the point :). Check out the code if you want to test it out, I wrote couple mentions about it on below:

weather= interloper

wolves= interloper (wolf struggles also at interloper settings)

condition etc settings= mostly interloper, but no cabin fever.

item decay rate= interloper

loot= "nerfed" stalker

guns= no

rabbits, deer, fish= no

Moose and Bear= Very high

Aurora= high

thirst/calorie burn rate= high

birch bark tea= yes

Code: 8tHM-bz8a-Hx8S-2XR2-AsMB

Edited by Tonza_98
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tonza_98 said:

I used to search "realistic" custom mode, but recently I created something different. This has been interesting experience so far and I would recommend this, if you want something, which is mix of stalker and interloper+ other small nuances here and there. It is called "predator`s apocalypse". Maybe too long name and not the most creative one, but that`s not the point :). Check out the code if you want to test it out, I wrote couple mentions about it on below:

weather= interloper

wolves= interloper (wolf struggles also at interloper settings)

condition etc settings= mostly interloper, but no cabin fever.

item decay rate= interloper

loot= "nerfed" stalker

guns= no

rabbits, deer, fish= no

Moose and Bear= Very high

Aurora= high

thirst/calorie burn rate= high

birch bark tea= yes

Code: 8tHM-bz8a-Hx8S-2XR2-AsMB

Thanks a lot Sir.

I'll make sure I'll check it out !