Ash and Hush. Where to explore next?

Stinky socks

Currently situated in mountain town at the trailer near cave to hushed river valley.

Have plenty of food and tools, good clothes. Limited rifle ammo(left most of it at TWM), but enough revolver ammo. Also have enough arrows. Bearskin bedroom also have. Heres my problem..

I have bases set up in most regions and mostly everything explored except Ash canyon and hushed river valley. After some reading, I've been getting some mixed messages, mainly pointing to these keywords: desolate, depressing, empty, one-time visit.

I am puzzled, should i even visit these two regions? Please help, tell me positives of these regions to help me convince myself..😭 really need you're help! Thank you!

Edit: playing on custom probably about medium difficulty somewhere into 350days. Have 99lbs haul capacity. Astrid is one tough honey!

Edited by Stinky socks

AC isn't desolate at all. People saying that's it's a quick in and out is complete and total BS. You can spend weeks there and have fun. The scenery is beautiful. The lighting in some areas is something you won't see anywhere else. There are empty areas, but also ones with tons of resources and environmental variety. The amount of saplings is outright ridiculous. It has 3-4 very distinct houses you can live in and rotate between. There is fishing. Outdoor and indoor crafting benches. A very nice bunny area. An outdoor fire barrel. Indoor caves with coal. A fun to hunt bear.

HRV doesn't have any man made structures and feels way more remote than AC because of that, but it's interesting just for the map layout. Even without structures it contains enough to live in and explore for a while. And there is some great loot to be found in various corners.

Both maps have things you won't see on any other map. Overall it really helps to think more in terms of scenery and variety. And not just about the loot. What's the point of just hanging out in a few easy maps? I get the feeling some people are like "I only want to go into AC for five seconds to get the backbag and then hang out at the Trapper's cabin for 200 days"

• Upvote 2
  • Like 3

HRV is indeed gorgeous, vast, with many great sub-regions. You won't find any manmade structures, but there are many-many caves, regular ones, and also the ice-caves which you don't find anywhere else (which are lit at certain points 24/7 - I still find them amazingly beautiful even after many visits). Almost all caves also spawn coal, which is great given the region's "colder-than-average" rating.
Also, the wolves are not overabundant, even on Stalker - apart from the central region of the map - the rest of the area usually has only 1 per sub-region. There are 2 bears, always there, but once you know where to expect them, they are rather just like food-trucks coming in reliable regularity. Also providing you the material to keep your bedroll in good shape. (until you know where they are, as always, tread with care).
Given its maze-like structure, there is a lot of time to spend to explore and it is fun to learn the map and its shortcuts in the tunnels. In addition to the blue ice-caves, there are many other features only found here, and lots of tiny hidden places to discover.
You'll be fine with the revolver and bow, the rifle you'd only need for the moose/bear I would guess. Bring plenty of cloth with you though both for repairs and the occasional broken ribs. Where you can get that, you won't be able to climb out from without bandages (and painkillers).
As there are a few, but key climbing routes, fetching the crampons and the plus 5 kilos first might be worthwhile, but it is still enjoyable without them.
Just bring your bed with you (at all times) to be able to nap on the ledges/caves.
There is also much worthwhile loot, guns, ammo, books, rare clothes in those orange boxes. But if you are already on day 350, you probably have everything, so it is more for the adventure I believe.
I don't want to spoil more.

Edited by AdamvR
  • Like 2

People who do not like desolate bleak areas and struggling around lost in the snow should crash their aircraft in a zombie filled Manhattan next time.

The essence of TLD is the struggle of an unequipped guy in very harsh, freezing, mountains.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

@peteloud, I am so equipped and used to full tummy, it's terrifying to discover new regions now!😂

With all being said, I am glad for your replies. Astrid and me will start preparations for hushed river valley next! Must grab some stuff we left in the milton city, bring it to the trailer and set out for an adventure!! (Ash canyon after that).

Thank you wonderful people!:))

• Like 1

Ash Canyon is a beautiful region with plenty of challenges. The biggest benefit is the crampons and backpack in the gold mine. I’ve just taken to starting in AC on new games because like in your situation, getting them this late is kind of eh in my opinion. Nice but not needed. There are many areas which man made structures you could settle into for a good experience though. It’s a beautiful region.

HRV I see as purely TLD experience. As mentioned, it’s desolate but VERY large compared to other regions. Lots of fun to just wander in and just experience the game purely based on wilderness survival. 

Both are well worth exploring but for different reasons. 

• Like 2

Just take your time!  Be patient!!  There are quite a few caves in both areas to take shelter.  Explore your immediate surroundings (always knowing how to quickly get back to your cave) until you find another "base" (cave) - Rinse and Repeat.  HRV (IMO) is a very fun zone.  Well worth exploring!  Ice caves are fun to map!!

I envy you and the "newness" you will experience in those zones.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

@hozz1235, yes and you can loot my corpse in one of the caves when I'm done in that region😁I brought good tools!

Yesterday night I transitioned through the cave, but haven't explored much. Went to sleep(irl)

If I can pry them from your frozen fingers! 😝

• Like 1

I would tend to agree with everyone here. Both Ash Canyon and Hushed River Valley are well worthwhile exploring, and each have their strong points.

Ash Canyon: I like to think of this as a bit of a cross between Timberwolf Mountain and Pleasant Valley. There are three places that I like to call home, and if you get bored in one, just move on. Wolves aren't too hard to avoid, and there's only one location that has a bear. The map has good moose hunting opportunities, and, as long as you have lots of arrowheads, there is little threat of running out of arrows or bows with the number of saplings on the map. Deer hunting is a bit tricky, but there's a couple locations where you can do so and not have to think about wolves at all. There are also a couple moose spawns, which can provide lots of food if you're willing to do a slightly risky hunt. If you get caught away from home, there's plenty of caves to spend the night, but most require a bedroll. You will likely have to rope-climb to get around the map, so coffee is a good thing to bring along.

Hushed River Valley: If you wanted a "Man vs. Wild" experience in the game, this is where you'll find that. There is not a single man-made structure in the region aside from a few snow shelters, but the naturally spawned caves more than make up for that. If you get caught in a blizzard, the ice cave network can help you get to where you need to go in relative safety, and there are LOADS of little hidden passageways and shortcuts to explore. The area is rich in natural resources, and if you know what you're doing, wolves and bears can be avoided. Moose hunting is also a good source of food. Before settling here for the long haul, however, there are a couple considerations specific to this map. Firstly, there are NO beds anywhere in the region, so bringing a bedroll is a must. There's also no fishing, so bringing a storm lantern may not be a wise choice as you will run out of lamp oil rather fast. Finally, there's no workbench anywhere either, so you'll have to go to Mountain Town to craft.

Happy exploring!

• Like 1

Currently exploring hushed river valley and biggest dislike I have is lack of structures. Never liked living in a cave. I am not an ANIMAL!!!!

another bummer is lack of workbenches and ice fishing. I think timberwolf mountaineer hut got so many things right in this regard. Theres workbench, fireplace, fishing spot, bed and food nearby! PARADISE!!! I am so much missing that set up in other maps.:(

But either way, I am mostly familiar with left side of hushed valley. Ice caves I am not very fond of. It's very rough as car as surface goes and constant soaking isn't very pleasant either. For my time being in there, I've been setting myself up in the regular caves.

Right now, I am at rope climbed far up right area on the lake in the cave adjacent to a waterfall. Killed a moose and have load of meat. Steaks forever🥩🤢🤮

😂🤣👍

Edited by Stinky socks

31 minutes ago, Stinky socks said:

I think timberwolf mountaineer hut got so many things right in this regard.

At the time it was released it was touted as the ultimate wilderness map. It's great, but because of the lake area it's very easy. HRV was an attempt to have a true wilderness map.

constant soaking isn't very pleasant either

You don't have to traverse the whole caves all the time. It's possible to just live in the exit areas.

Also there are two ice caves. Only one has waterfalls

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am officially in ash canyon! Exploration mode:   (I've been here before for the crampons, but that doesn't count)

Anyways, before I got here, I took the top route and had to goat down like an encumbered idiot because I took wrong turn and didnt want to come back. I'm using lower entrance into ash.

The future looks quite stark. 

Screenshot_20210420-180715_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0616e5ea16cc004e89c9c3c23bec19e0.jpg

and yet, I am excited!!

Okay, so according to my google maps, this is supposed to be a fishing hut.😡

Screenshot_20210420-182521_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e0bb997a25e8b814e2208c33dac178a5.jpg

Well, where's the rest of it? I can understand no door, but no roof? Who broke the roof?! I planned to make this my sort of short term base until I find something decent further on🙄

😞😞

edit: she's playing with me!! I dropped ruined pork can in the container behind the hut and it disappeared!! I planned to eat that later this evening!!🤬🤬🤬

Edited by Stinky socks

The fishing hut is perfectly fine. Seriously. Make a fire and you can fish during blizzards

I dropped ruined pork can in the container behind the hut and it disappeared

Completely normal. Ruined items in containers always disappear

Edited by Serenity
  • Like 1

Well, I did not know that. Why though? It doesn't make sense if you can eat them at level5? 

Edit: adding: one thing I did not like at all is for some reason, you cannot place a bed on the floor inside that fishing hut. You cant place bed even on ice anywhere!! I had to run to the land to sleep!🙄sooo strange.

Edited by Stinky socks

Okay, I have concluded my stay in Ash canyon. It has been a pleasant experience ce. Shuttling across those bridges and between houses in different parts has been a joy.

My Astrid almost froze on few occasions. In 450 days, this region was the one who gave me my first hypothermia😂how cold!! Another very interesting observation, I was not able to gather a lot of loot here. Apart for some very generous plant life, man made tools very quite scarce, even when compared to hish river valley.

If I didnt bring my own stuff here, it would have been quite difficult stay. I did find bearskin coat in the bridges, but I left her there. It is too heavy for my liking and I already have bearskin roll, which has been a great blessing.

I did enjoy Ash more than Hush, mostly due to man made structures scattered in few spots. I really enjoy man made structures as a shelter.

This concludes my travels to these extremities of the Great Bear. I left some stuff just in case I'll have to come back at some point, but no plans for anything soon.

My next plan of action is PV->CH->ravone->BI. Looking forward to timberwolf blood. It is time they shed red tears. This will be the battle to the end. I have 100+ rifle rounds, 50+ arrows and 200+ in revolver. They will know I am coming.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...