Branches Do You Break Them Down

Ahatch

Do you break down branches to make sticks  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What kind of quiz is that?  the proper way to break branches is without a tool and it’s not even a choice in the quiz. SMH. 
 And even then there are only 3 reasons you would break down branches:

1. you suck at math which is by far overwhelmingly the most common reason people do. 

2. there absolutely really are no sticks anywhere nearby and it would cost more than 10 minutes to find some.  So rarely is this the case though.

3. you are riding out a blizzard and are utilizing resources closest to the fire to preserve it and not get lost.  But even then you wouldn’t use a tool unless the fire was just about to go out and you needed to save the few minutes  

Edited by Schrodingers Box

Usually not, but sometimes before sleep. Mostly just to kill time. The damage doesn't matter then as you will heal it up during the night. Also at one or two arrows down you can break a few branches before even getting cold. Locations like the Mountaineer's Hut or the Ravine cave are good for that.

• Upvote 1

Generally no, but I will break some down (sans tool) if there are no sticks readily available. This happens most often when I'm cooking and I just need a few more sticks to finish things off. But when out and about or traveling, I just ignore them.

• Upvote 1

Depends.  Pretty much as Dr. S. says. 

Also, there seems to be more coal that spawns in standard Interloper than on the other standard difficulties, so that lowers the "stick" requirement overall during the runs that have the nastier weather and only lighter clothing available.  On Pilgrim and Voyageur, once you find a parka (and that doesn't take too long generally), breaking down branches will not generally cause any hit to your health.  Regardless, I don't use my hatchet to break them down (at the start of an Interloper run, I don't even have one to use).

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

What kind of quiz is that?  the proper way to break branches is without a tool and it’s not even a choice in the quiz. SMH. 
 And even then there are only 3 reasons you would break down branches:

1. you suck at math which is by far overwhelmingly the most common reason people do. 

2. there absolutely really are no sticks anywhere nearby and it would cost more than 10 minutes to find some.  So rarely is this the case though.

3. you are riding out a blizzard and are utilizing resources closest to the fire to preserve it and not get lost.  But even then you wouldn’t use a tool unless the fire was just about to go out and you needed to save the few minutes  

This is an interloper poll , if I was playing any other setting I break branches with a hatchet because I could give a hoot about taking damage on the tool . I never use a tool but take 10 minutes to do so take damage to hits usually. 

You don't have to be so snarky though 

• Upvote 1

I break them with my hands when I'm having a cookout nearby. I'm liable to already be warm (because fire) and have already mopped up whatever sticks are in the area so it is a good use of 10 minutes instead of staring at whatever is cooking. I'll return to the fire to rewarm and then go find another branch to break.

• Upvote 1

Saying that you should never break them down on Interloper is silly. It's very situational and usually when you're just wander around obviously no. Generally it's all about sticks. But when you have time to kill and there are some branches near your base, then there is no real harm. Especially in the evening when it's the warmest. Even taking some cold damage can be acceptable when you're at full health and you go to sleep right away

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 2

I want my hatchet(s) to last very long, so I break them down with hands. It is also useful to keep fire going only as long as needed for cooking because sticks add fire time in smaller increments.

How much damage does hatchet take to break down cedar or fir limb? I'm thinking of doing that occasionally.

• Upvote 2