One main base or many smaller?

Clairec321

Hi 

I just wanted to get an opinion from more experience players as to whether is is best to have one main base for the whole world map or to have one smaller base in each area?

so far I have went to each area and accumulated all the supplies I can to one location there the transferred the most important ones i.e. food, weapons and tools to my main base in Mystery Lake. I just wondered if others feel this is the best way for long term survival rather than just staying in one area at a time until all resources are used in that area and then moving on?

• Like 1

Multiple bases, usually 2 per region at least, that have at least a few liters of water and some pieces of meat.  Then a couple 'main' bases, where I gather and inventory long game items, saplings, metal, cloth, tools etc.  I use Quonset and Camp Office for my mains.  You need a couple places in each region to travel effectively, especially in loper where your water and food levels drain so quickly.  Long game I basically just continue inventory management, taking trips to all regions and slowly moving the good stuff back to my main bases. Then when I want to go on 'vacation', I just pack up whats needed and show up to at least some food and water to get me going, do some hunting, explore for more saps/resources etc, then eventually head back to the mains where I have hides to repair clothes

• Like 4

I only play interloper or deadman and I Always have at least one base in each region with several satellite bases around (just food, water and fuel) at frequently passed points so I am always prepared during blizzards. It essentially lets you live eternally. 
  the main error I see failed interloper players make is they focus on a base too soon like you would commonly do in the easy levels. in early Interloper you cannot base because your resources will deplete too quickly. You have to roam the regions quickly and efficiently and then you can choose a base and then expand from there. In any other level you can start a base from the first day actually.  But I usually start my initial base around day 60 or so. 

Edited by Schrodingers Box
  • Like 1

Up to the player, but I have a one or more significant bases in each major region I play in and many provisioned shelters.  I play in Pilgrim mode so that is eminently possible.  I also believe in having way station  and emergency shelters so most any place that might function for those purpose, gets equipped with food, water, and sticks, at the least.  It helps occupy my time.   I even think about a Grand Tour of my bases across all the regions (that I have been to) every 200-300 days to see what has happened and to remind myself of what I left out there.   Another way to occupy my time. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 4:02 AM, odium said:

Multiple bases, usually 2 per region at least, that have at least a few liters of water and some pieces of meat.  Then a couple 'main' bases, where I gather and inventory long game items, saplings, metal, cloth, tools etc.  I use Quonset and Camp Office for my mains.  You need a couple places in each region to travel effectively, especially in loper where your water and food levels drain so quickly.  Long game I basically just continue inventory management, taking trips to all regions and slowly moving the good stuff back to my main bases. Then when I want to go on 'vacation', I just pack up whats needed and show up to at least some food and water to get me going, do some hunting, explore for more saps/resources etc, then eventually head back to the mains where I have hides to repair clothes

I play stalker and voyager. This describes pretty much exactly how I set up. 2 regional bases, each is usually nearish to a region exit. My mains are trappers or hydro dam and the gas station in coastal hwy.  Food and water are stored thru out each region as I explore (toilets = effortless potable water) canned goods are never discarded (anticipating I’ll make cooking 5).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ps4Methuselah said:

i do not believe in bases any more....take what you need & drop what you don't, where you found it. It makes permadeath less painful when i don't spend hours building up supplies, only to have them disappear in a heartbeat.

Well that’s probably why you are dying.  By utilizing a strategy of stocking supplies in critical locations, you are optimizing survival by having resources where you need them at any given time. 
   It’s one thing to be caught in a blizzard and know exactly where the nearest shelter is. It’s a whole other thing when that shelter also has 2 days of food and water plus first aid and fuel instead of it being wherever you happened to just leave it where you last saw it. It’s too late then!!!

Just like IRL- preparation is the key to long term survival.  ALL experienced survivalists know you ALWAYS take resources as they become available and you set up a base camp with satellites for hunting and foraging as soon as you find a location that’s suitable.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Well then as I predicted- you aren’t surviving. I choose to survive. To each his own. If you’re happy and at peace with that, good for you. It would never be that way for me though. I find my peace in my indomitable resilience and I simply refuse to accept death willingly. 

• Like 1

Nope you are wrong again. I am not immortal. I am just not a quitter. 
 If i die, and I have, many times, I learn from it and survive more next time. 
   I simply take no peace in being a quitter which is why a survival game appeals to me. 
  If I took peace in not trying to survive I would play a game with a finite ending

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ps4Methuselah said:

You are not a quitter...you have much to learn though. In life, sometimes when you win...you lose.

That makes no sense. How am I losing when I win? I have always found I can sometimes partially win when I lose, I always win when I win, but I have never lost when I won.  Please explain that. 
   Or are you just giving “bumper sticker wisdom”?

• Like 1

That makes no sense.  If I won the lottery I wouldn’t lose because a bunch of ungrateful idiots inundate me. I would go into the lottery EXPECTING that freeloaders will surround me and that only my “true friends” will persist.  Hell I would consider it a win to find my false friends even without winning the lottery- but I’d rather WIN it. If I wanted to maintain my social circle then I wouldn’t play the lottery, knowing it could change. Therefore I win.  But if I wanted to win the lottery I would prepare accordingly for these expectations therefore I would still win without any loss. Believe me I wouldn’t pass up WINNING $100M because of those expected inconveniences. 
  Fail there bruh.   Epic fail.

well you did say you are a fool. I am wise though. Not just because I learn from my mistakes as well as others, but mainly because of my foresight to prevent mistakes by analyzing all permutations like I just demonstrated. 
And no- I don’t want to trade places with you.  God no. I hate bumper stickers. 

• Like 1

agreed- we have an understanding.  And I always walk well. In fact, sometime if you want,  I’d even be willing to help you catch up. But it takes a lot of dedication, persistence, and a ton of preparation.  It doesn’t come passively. So you will have to abandon that TLD mentality.  Hopefully, grasshopper,  you only take peace with being complacent in TLD, but not IRL.

• Like 1

My game usually looks like this. concentrate all resources from desolation point in the hunting lodge, then move to the ice fishing hut just below, run out of resources. Move to forlorn muskeg, concentrate all the resources at the spence homestead, run out of resources. Move to Milton, hang out at the hermits cabin for a while, concentrate all the resources in the farmstead, run out of resources. Move to  mystery lake concentrate all the resources the camp office, have a deep philosophical discussion with myself. Move to pleasant, concentrate all the resources  in the farmers house, run out of resources. Move to timberwolf mountain, concentration all resources in the mountaineering hut, stop playing for a while. Hinterland release an update, run out of resources. Brave death in the new region, Make way back to Mystery lake or timber wolf mountain. That the run I have been on since 2017.

• Upvote 1

I tend to do both... 

I have my main/long term encampment.  However, as I search & prospect through the other regions/transition zones, I will setup caches of gear & supplies to use as stopover locations in the future.

I have dozens of little caches in what I think are key locations for traveling... but my long term survival spot is the Mountaineer's Hut in Timberwolf Mountain.

:coffee::fire::coffee: