Why Put Polaroid on this Place?

dissonance

I did not know that was possible to use campfires to bridge a gap.     It was unusual for the polaroid to be placed there.  I would not be surprised if that was because of RNG.  Probably not the first oversight by Hinterland. 

The bug needs to be reported.  The devs may find out now because it was posted, but that is not certain and maybe not quick.

Edited by UTC-10

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 4:26 PM, UTC-10 said:

I did not know that was possible to use campfires to bridge a gap.     It was unusual for the polaroid to be placed there.  I would not be surprised if that was because of RNG.  Probably not the first oversight by Hinterland. 

The bug needs to be reported.  The devs may find out now because it was posted, but that is not certain and maybe not quick.

I reported it a week ago,but there is no reply so far.

Yesterday I got this Polaroid with a new bug, much faster than campfire, that's funny.

I was fascinated by your fire-bridge and your stone cache shuffle so I had to return to the game after a rest after having had several trips around Ash Canyon.  It was a long return trip from the Cannery back to AC.  On the trips around AC I tried and failed to map the high massif above Climber's' Cave so I was keen to try your technique. . . .   I have just tried to get up where you did your stone cache shuffle, and failed to get up there.  I didn't have any stone for a stone cache, but using the slope as a view point I did manage to expose more of the charcoal map.

I haven't tried the fire-bridge yet.

I had assumed that the area was intentionally inaccessible. However, that you found a container up there indicates that that area is meant to be accessed.  So there must be a climbable route to that container, unless it requires a special trick technique like yours.  I suspect that your techniques is not what HTL expected.

So what is the HTL expected solution for getting up there?

This is the sort of thing I like about the game.  I have played TLD for a considerable number of hours, over 4,000, and feel that I am familiar with most aspects, then just as I am becoming bored and having a rest from it something new, like your techniques, comes along and fires me up again.

dissonance,

I have just tried making a fire bridge in same spot as you and failed.  I was unable to build a fire upon another fire. 

Are you playing a standard game or are you using a mod. that gives you abilities that are not available to straight players like me?

8 hours ago, peteloud said:

dissonance,

I have just tried making a fire bridge in same spot as you and failed.  I was unable to build a fire upon another fire. 

Are you playing a standard game or are you using a mod. that gives you abilities that are not available to straight players like me?

Yes,I play with a standard game.It still works in v1.93 Steam version(vedio 1).

This bug can creat campfire and snow shelter on almost anyplace and not consume any material.You can easily test it on ice (vedio 2).

About the problem unable to build a fire upon another fire,I will try to explain it in detail, but since I am not a native English speaker, it may not to be clearly.

The principle of this bug is saving when the red preview model is called out. Then quit and load the save,campfire/snow shelter will appear where the preview model was.The simplest way to save when the preview model is being called out is to be burned.Sprain can achieve the same effect, but the timing is not controllable.

If you use burned to achieve this bug,the saving time is when you end injured(The moment you get off the fire,not upon).You must ensure preview model on right place while saving, campfire can only be build on another campfire's cooking slot(two biggest stones on the model).If you want to build an angled bridge,the first campfire should be angled,stone cache or rocks can help you adjust.But once the first campfire was built, it's hard to change the angle of the bridge halfway though.

I guess HTL's original route to this area was the leaning tree which opposite the cliff.That tree has no roots and its angle is so suspicious.Because of unknown reasons, the tree has not been completely down, cause the area is currently unable to enter.

11 hours ago, Admin said:

Hi @dissonance. Sorry to hear that you're having this issue.

Our forums aren't where we focus on for Support issues. Instead are you able to send us this information at thelongdark.com/support so that we can properly diagnose what's happening and work with you to identify the issue?

Thanks!

I've reported it and attached the link  of this thread, but so far there's only one auto reply email.

Since v0.393,I was discovering and submitting many bugs,Some of them have been fixed, but some still exist today.

Such as my last topic

Cancel button bug was still worked in v1.93.

Edited by dissonance

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2021 at 7:58 AM, dissonance said:

I reported it a week ago,but there is no reply so far.

Yesterday I got this Polaroid with a new bug, much faster than campfire, that's funny.

@dissonanceThank you very much for this. It took me a while to figure it out, but I used this cache-hopping exploit to get up there and found my second polaroid. I've chosen to complete the Cartographer achievement and while I'm doing it, I want to collect all the notes and polaroids. It would bug the hell out of me if I couldn't collect one of them :)

It really looks like the case you mentioned in some other post, that the tree close to the chasm you used to cross with the campfire exploit was supposed to be fallen over and allowed crossing and the devs must've made a mistake there. The plateau clearly looks like it was planned to be accessible.

In any case, if anyone wants to use this exploit to get up there a couple of tips that aren't completely obvious from the video:

* You need to hold the forward key without letting go while pressing space, choosing rock cache and using the right mouse button to cancel. Each attempt basically hops you a little bit further up until you are able to edge yourself up. 

* Have a couple of bandages ready. This will likely cause a few sprains. Also, don't bandage them before you get to the top, otherwise, they will just keep reappearing.

Boomer

Edited by BoomerSVK
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I was already back in TWM but decided to give it one more try with the stone cache method. Went back to AC and had first to hunt some wolves for meat, then find 50 stones for the cache. Once this was done I went to the spot near the Runaway Bridge and amazingly, I could climb the hill with the stone cache. But when I reached the spot were the container with the polaroid was supposed to be, there was only a pack of rifle ammo. It's sure useful but not what I was looking for.

So what does that mean for my game? I am certain that I've checked all known places listed in the wiki and on the map. The rifle ammo spawned in a place which is not reachable so it seems that the bugfix is only for new games or they just fixed the polaroid. Is this the same spot that @dissonance reached with the campfires or is there another unreachable location where the polaroid could be? These bugs are really ehm, bugging me 😕

• Like 1

I found a newer map from stmSantana on Steam which shows another possible spawn point near Wolf's Jaw Overlook, after the climbing sections. Unfortunately I only found a box of rifle ammo again.

So far I've checked all the locations on this map twice and found rifle/revolver ammo the first time I checked, which means I was in the right spot. Does anyone know a spawn point which is not on this map? And yes I checked the "new" spawn point over Angler's Cabin too, as well as the bugged spot over Climber's Cave: C6F6913441F3E1AB34D007996BA295C0DAD21849

6 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

I found a newer map from stmSantana on Steam which shows another possible spawn point near Wolf's Jaw Overlook, after the climbing sections. Unfortunately I only found a box of rifle ammo again.

So far I've checked all the locations on this map twice and found rifle/revolver ammo the first time I checked, which means I was in the right spot. Does anyone know a spawn point which is not on this map? And yes I checked the "new" spawn point over Angler's Cabin too, as well as the bugged spot over Climber's Cave: 

I made the map version 1.28 to support game patch 1.94.
(Change: add a polaroid icon (X-90,Y65), and delete a polaroid icon on the cliff)

Is X-90,Y65 the same place as the Polaroid you checked?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stmSantana said:

Is X-90,Y65 the same place as the Polaroid you checked?

Yes that's what I ment by the "new" spawn point above Angler's, but unfortunately there was only a pack of rifle ammo waiting for me. I don't know where to look anymore, either my game is bugged, my eyes are betraying me or it's in a location no one else had seen it before, which I find rather unlikely. But I've already double checked all the places on your recent map and am now on round 3, tripple checking everything.

Btw, didn't know you are active here - I want to take the chance and say a huge thank you for the work with the map(s), they are awesome!no_foto.thumb.png.abd50d273707cb726f7d990860925ee5.png

Edited by ChillPlayer