Escape the Darkwalker -- Event Update for Switch & December Release

Admin

1904206436_Darkwalker-BlogFeaturedImg.thumb.png.a38f5dffa2466f5b9fcc6d4342ce430a.png

Hello everyone,

I’m sad to announce that after nearly two weeks of working with Nintendo on the release of our ESCAPE THE DARKWALKER event on Switch, I have decided to pull the plug on releasing it. 

Apart from not being able to get a clear sense of when the update will be able to go live, we’re concerned that supporting a second two-week Darkwalker event right now will risk the testing and release of the December Survival mode update. We just don’t have the development or testing bandwidth to support both these things simultaneously, now that the Switch version has been delayed for so long.

I’m very sorry to all our Switch players -- I’m sure this feels really unfair. We underestimated the complexity and timelines of releasing an event on Switch. In hindsight we should not have had our first update to a new platform also be a timed live event. We’re still figuring out what these Switch release timelines mean for our update plans moving forward, because we strive to release major updates on all platforms at the same time.

We’ve always worked super hard to make sure all our players feel equally important, regardless of platform, and we know that the way we handled this event on Switch is not up to your expectations of us. I’m very sorry to have let you down. You are all important to us, and this is really not how we want our updates to go.

To try to make it up to you, we’re going to prepare Darkwalker as a new standalone Challenge in the game, to be released along with the rest of our December update content, which includes a new region and a variety of other things. This way, anyone who missed the event, on any of our platforms and for any reason will still get the chance to play ESCAPE THE DARKWALKER, and unlock all the same content that was available during the live event.

And anyone who already played the event will get to play the improved version in December, where we add a new phase that lets you actually banish the Darkwalker.

Again, I’m very sorry to all our Switch players who are missing out on the event, but we hope the improved December version will be even more fun for you.

For more information about the update process across our various platforms, please visit this thread.

Thank you for reading, and see you in December.

- Raphael

• Upvote 3
  • Like 11

6 hours ago, Admin said:

. This way, anyone who missed the event, on any of our platforms and for any reason will still get the chance to play ESCAPE THE DARKWALKER, and unlock all the same content that was available during the live event.

I thought about it and decided to ask. What about 4F.O.D.O.N and  W.E.?

I dunno how you turned bad news into great news but you did!

Adding it as a challenge we can play any time & with the ability to defeat it is SUPER awesome.

Thank you.

Learning the ropes of a new platform is a speed bump players will understand. Sorry that Nintendo seems to have a ton of hoops.

22 hours ago, Admin said:

To try to make it up to you, we’re going to prepare Darkwalker as a new standalone Challenge in the game, to be released along with the rest of our December update content, which includes a new region and a variety of other things. This way, anyone who missed the event, on any of our platforms and for any reason will still get the chance to play ESCAPE THE DARKWALKER, and unlock all the same content that was available during the live event.

Does this also mean that people can get the badges & the feat later if they don't obtain them before Nov 12th?

Though I was disappointed and confused when switch didn't get the update, I appreciate you being honest with the community about why.

The fact that your team made a whole new challenge mode during the pandemic is testament enough to how dedicated you are to this game. There's so much it has to offer already and it's become one of my favorite games in many years (clocked just over 200 hours since I bought it shortly after the switch release). 

I can't wait to to see what you have in store for us next!

I just saw this post today after missing the Darkwalker event on PS4 due to work and other issues.

Not only do I have huge appreciation and respect already for the fact you guys managed to release another port of an amazing game, on Switch (which means I can play it on the same platform as Breath of the Wild wherever I want), during a pandemic of all things...But everything the team does for all of us survivors to make sure everyone is equal.

Cannot wait for this to be added to the challenges and the December update as a whole. Darkwalker's concept is a perfect Eldritch style entity for TLD in my opinion, and can't wait to experience it. Please keep being amazing, but above all... Stay safe Hinterlands, and everyone else out there.

• Admin locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic