Can we P L E A S E get a freaking (optional) difficulty increase?!?!?

Killerboom204

This game mode is so freaking boring, I'll turn the revolver I found in the second building I entered on myself & empty the cylinder before 25 days is up. If this was voyager with interloper weather like I've seen people suggesting, it wouldn't be so bad. But, it's voyager weather with more blizzards than interloper and a constant -10 degree temp debuf, which makes the voyager weather almost as cold as interloper sometimes. Obviously, not everybody here plays interloper, but, what of the people who do? You offer us nothing, hinterland? Sure feels that way. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Killerboom204 said:

Obviously, not everybody here plays interloper, but, what of the people who do? You offer us nothing, hinterland? Sure feels that way. 

They don't really care about it. They've basically said that they don't see difficulty levels and don't pay any special attention to balancing the game with harder settings in mind

On my first playthrough, i felt the same way, UNTIL I realized the point is to hunt Maple Syrup, not survive. So, with that in mind, i changed to a run & gun play style. I WILL NOT allow my player to stay in house for anything other than searching loot, or sleeping if i need to. 

I do not hunt. 

I do not craft. 

I do not pick up food other than ketchup chips, syrup or coffee. 

Basically, if it doesnt support me finding syrup as quickly as possible, i dont have it in the backpack. I'm 20 days in to my second run (because i was doing it wrong on the first run). ---20 days in, i've looted "Broken Railroad, Forlorn Muskeg, Mountain Town, Ravine, Pleasant Valley, Timberwolf Mountain, & most of Coastal Highway. For me, the race to loot all regions for liquid gold IS THE GAME (at least until the end of the month). 

Edited by SirSharper
  • Upvote 1

Oohh I found loads of maple syrup!
My problem is, in fact, getting hold of a gun of some sort. I've scavenged three entire zones and still no luck!
I have been shooting wolves with my bow and arrow. But not so comfortable at all.

I find it funny how this new game mode threw me into having to be aware of wolves & bears. I am normally too stressed to play Voyager mode ;))

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Luciën said:

Oohh I found loads of maple syrup!
My problem is, in fact, getting hold of a gun of some sort. I've scavenged three entire zones and still no luck!
I have been shooting wolves with my bow and arrow. But not so comfortable at all.

I find it funny how this new game mode threw me into having to be aware of wolves & bears. I am normally too stressed to play Voyager mode ;))

SPOILERS******************

There is a "Hunting Prepper Cache" in Pleasant Valley that has had 2 Rifles in it for my last 2 runs. You can see it here. It is on a "possible" bear path. 
Coming from The Farmstead, climb up the rope, it will be straight ahead. 

The prepper caches dont always spawn, but its worth a shot. 

image.png.7ab8212697034f18e060f8e35f03a5c1.png

On 7/4/2020 at 4:55 PM, Killerboom204 said:

This game mode is so freaking boring

Then I'd recommend considering playing a different game mode... or a custom game mode... or make personal challenges for yourself...

You could also find a game you enjoy more. :)  (I'm not implying anything... I just mean, it's an option)

:coffee::fire::coffee:

On 7/1/2020 at 7:20 PM, ManicManiac said:

If you are one of those folks... then I'd suggest adding your own extra rules & provisos, and turn the event into your own personal challenge.
Player choice is very powerful at the changing the experience you have in this game.

On 6/23/2020 at 2:49 AM, ManicManiac said:

I think this game gives the player far more agency than most folks are used to.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

If you are one of those folks... then I'd suggest adding your own extra rules & provisos, and turn the event into your own personal challenge.
Player choice is very powerful at the changing the experience you have in this game.

I opted to try some achievements. 25 days not killing anything, 25 days surviving off of food from the land, 50 days without firing the rifle. That, with the COLD weather is actually pretty tough. Although, the NO Cabin Fever helps if i have enough food to survive a day or two. 

Also, WE is the perfect game mode for the Blizzard Walking Badge. get out there and walk in that blizzard. 

7 hours ago, SirSharper said:

SPOILERS******************

There is a "Hunting Prepper Cache" in Pleasant Valley that has had 2 Rifles in it for my last 2 runs. You can see it here. It is on a "possible" bear path. 
Coming from The Farmstead, climb up the rope, it will be straight ahead. 

The prepper caches dont always spawn, but its worth a shot. 

image.png.7ab8212697034f18e060f8e35f03a5c1.png

Looks like they fixed the glitched food bunker issue with PV, at least for this challenge!  Outstanding!  Did you find any chips or syrup?  
If they did and the bunker's are spawning then it really is luck of the draw which pair of bunkers you'll get in both PV and ML. 

I should probably mention to  @Luciën finding a bunker is rare enough, even if you know where to look, but if you eliminate the two spots your being showing on the map, then the bunker that did  spawn in this challenge is just gonna be placed at another one of the possible/known bunker spawn locations outside of the cropped areas on this map.  I'd put my money on finding syrup in the food bunker!   

13 hours ago, SirSharper said:

I opted to try some achievements. 25 days not killing anything, 25 days surviving off of food from the land, 50 days without firing the rifle. That, with the COLD weather is actually pretty tough. Although, the NO Cabin Fever helps if i have enough food to survive a day or two. 

Also, WE is the perfect game mode for the Blizzard Walking Badge. get out there and walk in that blizzard. 

If you're grinding for Blizzard Walker feat, story mode is the way to go - I got mine in less than an hour (from 34% initially to 100%). But if you're not into grinding feats, then good luck because it's gonna take a really long time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gotmilkanot said:

If you're grinding for Blizzard Walker feat, story mode is the way to go - I got mine in less than an hour (from 34% initially to 100%). But if you're not into grinding feats, then good luck because it's gonna take a really long time.

Now you tell me. :D I did mine a while back (pre-WE) playing an hour a day -- which was all I could bear due to the boredom -- for weeksPV was twice as much progress per "blizzard hour" than other zones, but it was still a gigantic grind.

No regrets though.  It's a good feat for Winter's Embrace.  Also for Interloper, depending on how you use blizzards. 

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

Now you tell me. :D I did mine a while back (pre-WE) playing an hour a day -- which was all I could bear due to the boredom -- for weeksPV was twice as much progress per "blizzard hour" than other zones, but it was still a gigantic grind.

No regrets though.  It's a good feat for Winter's Embrace.  Also for Interloper, depending on how you use blizzards. 

It's alright as long as you're happy with the outcome. 😁

On 7/14/2020 at 1:41 PM, SirSharper said:

So, and maybe this is a technical issues, the achievements did not pop for the 25 consecutive days surviving off the land (single game) or 25 days without killing an animal (single game) 

so maybe they do not work for Winters Embrace :/ 

On 7/14/2020 at 11:27 AM, ManicManiac said:

Then I'd recommend considering playing a different game mode... or a custom game mode... or make personal challenges for yourself...

I'm a fan of adding restrictions and challenges if a game gets stale. In Skyrim I made my character eat regularly and sleep every night. In Stranded deep I refused to use the smoker and always harvested fish,shark, ect as soon as they were downed to make food spoil more realistically. Just use your imagination!

• Like 1

@Gracia_WolfSlayer

I'm happy to share, and I've been chronicling it in a thread I started last year:

On 11/11/2019 at 8:43 PM, ManicManiac said:

Stubborn, that's clearly what I am... :D I've started again!  Same personal challenge as before (I know I've spoken about my personally applied parameters for FC before, but I don't think I really outlined all my goals for this push I've been on - so I suppose I will take a moment to review).

Main objective is to survive for 500 days ("Will to Live").
In order to make life more interesting, I'm adding the following objectives and provisos:

1. Achieve Faithful Cartographer, with additional conditions.  Start a the run on Timberwolf Mountain.  I may not leave a region until I have cleared 100% of the charcoal map.  Specifically, no smudges on any part of the main map area, and clearing as much around the edges of the map area as possible.  When going to another region I may only carry my most minimal kit (generally 13-18kg of what I consider to be just the essentials to nomad).  This forces me to start over relatively fresh and reestablish myself in each new region I enter.  (I suppose once I achieve this - this particular thread will end, since that's the subject I started it on)

2. Once I have achieved "Faithful Cartographer," I will then concentrate on, "It was THIS BIG."  I will begin this endeavor with fresh water ice fishing.  Even though salmon are the only fish in the game that are capable of naturally being over 5kg... I want to test to see if the bonus to catch weight that begins on Ice Fishing level 4 will boost the Small Mouth Bass up over it's natural 5kg max.  If possible, I want to gain this achievement by catching a freshwater bass instead of just grinding salmon in Coastal Highway.  If that bonus works as I think it does, then this should be feasible (unless the bonus still respects the weight limit).  In either case, I will not be permitted to go salt water ice fishing until I've reached fishing level 5 and I've spent at least 30 days fishing fresh water at level 5.  (I just realized I'm going to have so much lantern fuel!)

3. Assuming I've not managed to achieve it while completing the other objectives... next I will concentrate on, "Wrapped in Furs."  I will not be permitted to earn the achievement until I have pelt crafted items in all possible clothing slots.  I will only use the bearskin bedroll to earn the achievement if I am wearing: a rabbit skin hat, rabbit skin mittens, a wolf skin coat, bear skin coat (plus a moose cloak in my inventory - that's my "extra blanket"), moose satchel, two pair of deer skin pants, and deer skin boots.

4. Assuming I've not managed to achieve it while completing the other objectives... next I will concentrate on, "Skilled Survivor."  I don't have any ideas on making this more challenging... so I guess this one is just going to be pretty straight forward. 

So in the event I never really articulated what the entirety of my personal challenge is... here it is :D 

[Addendum]
It's been my standing rule for these attempts that I don't use any feats.

Edited by ManicManiac

5 minutes ago, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

Meanwhile I can barely last a week in Interloper.

I think part of why I started on crafting a personal challenge was to sort of give myself a kind of "interloper training." :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Stone said:

@Gracia_WolfSlayer @SirSharper You can do it! If you can navigate between the main useful locations and can chain torches, you can do loper. I got the hang of it by making my goal to summit TWM by day 10. It forces you to move which is key to Loper early game. And @Killerboom204 have you tried Outloper, discussed in other threads in this forum?

Just curious if you guys ever heard of custom setting called "Deadman Challenge?"

As I recall, it was a very popular game setting created after the introduction of custom game mode.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Dude,

Ya'll complained the game was too easy, they made difficulty levels, then ya'll complained it was still too easy, they made interloper. How much harder do you want it to be? A blizzard every other day? Temperatures you have no hope of surviving 10 IRL minutes in when the weather is calm? Wolves and Bears that seek you out from many miles away, never stopping?

I don't know about you but I play the game to have fun and every time I tried to play stalker I ended up in an area where no matter which path I took I had no hope of escaping a wolf. Heck they made some more challenges for you guys and the story mode even has difficulty levels to appease you folks.

50 minutes ago, Ape88 said:

Dude,

Ya'll complained the game was too easy, they made difficulty levels, then ya'll complained it was still too easy, they made interloper. How much harder do you want it to be? A blizzard every other day? Temperatures you have no hope of surviving 10 IRL minutes in when the weather is calm? Wolves and Bears that seek you out from many miles away, never stopping?

I don't know about you but I play the game to have fun and every time I tried to play stalker I ended up in an area where no matter which path I took I had no hope of escaping a wolf. Heck they made some more challenges for you guys and the story mode even has difficulty levels to appease you folks.

Yes, the next difficulty level being developed will be a doozy...
first you spawn outside at night in a raging white out blizzard.  In your inventory there is only 1 match and that's when you discover you're only wearing underpants...

• Upvote 1