Frostbite glitch?

wilsonaka

I found some new wool mittens, so I tore up the ones I was wearing to make needed bandages with.  I forgot to put on the wool mittens.

I step outside the Trapper's Cabin. It's not particularly cold -1C (31F) with no wind. I see the deer have arrived. I aim the rifle, shoot, and miss. I notice there's a dead deer in the barn. I decide to walk over there and harvest. I start down the path no more than 10m from the door, I have  been outside no more than 7-8 minutes, and I get Frostbite.  No frostbite risk at all, just frostbite with about 5% health gone.  I had been indoors for the better part of the day due to blizzard conditions, my health was at 100% and my warmth was very high.

I've been playing a while, and I've never seen frostbite hit that hard and that fast before, could it possibly be a glitch?  Has anyone else had this type of experience?

Frostbite is independent of hypothermia. It's also independent of "Feels like" temperature, and is based on the actual temperature. So, if your clothing is +28, it's really -29, not -1, and that's the temperature that's being used to calculate frostbite. That said, that does sound fast, and you should probably go to https://hinterlandsoftware.com/support and file a bug; I'd expect they'll ask you for your save game file to diagnose.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, stratvox said:

It's also independent of "Feels like" temperature, and is based on the actual temperature.

Thank you for your response.  I did not remember to calculate that. The reading would have been -18C (-1F). Still a bit much to get frostbite in 7 minutes unless they've changed it to where holding a rifle would add to that.

Since I cannot edit after a period of time, I just want to add that I was not referring to hypothermia risk, but to frostbite risk.  I am unsure as to whether it needs to give you the risk first before it sets in or if you can just get it regardless.

I've never seen it without getting the risk first... but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

I should probably caveat that; I did get it once on a run when the guy was sleeping in a cave that was not, in fact, fully windproof without seeing the frostbite risk first, but time accelerated sleeping under the stars is an inherently risky proposition. 

I am confused. Frostbite doesn't occur unless your head or hands are not covered. Where you covered ?

Was this playing Winter's embrace ?

@stratvox is right, frostbite rely on temperature, not "feels like" with your clothes.

When I get it, I'm like 10-15 minutes in, it's fast, but you still have the risk warning.

What most likely happened is you harvested too much off the deer, which caused enough time to pass that you accumulated risk, failed the risk check, and went straight into frostbite damage.  I've never actually tried this but I believe if enough time passes that risk becomes irrelevant and the actual affliction hits, it just jumps straight the affliction notice.  It sounds like you're just getting started on that run, and harvesting a frozen ravaged deer carcass with a hunting knife at level 1 would take about an hour and a half.  That's enough time to accumulate a good chunk of frostbite risk, which could mature into full blown frostbite.  I'm not positive on the mechanics but I believe the game makes a check against your frostbite risk every hour.

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

He did harvest, at least according to the OP, so it is almost certainly more than 7-8 mins character time.

39 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

What most likely happened is you harvested too much off the deer

I could see that happening, but I did not get close to the deer to harvest. I stated that I had just started down the hill after missing a deer with a rifle.

2 hours ago, JMK said:

I am confused. Frostbite doesn't occur unless your head or hands are not covered. Where you covered ?

Was this playing Winter's embrace ?

Yes, this was during Winter's embrace. I was about 3 days into the run. I had found better condition wool mittens, so I had harvested the ones I had on and then forgot to put on the new ones. It's a silly mistake.  I've had frostbite before on other runs, and it's never come this suddenly without being outside for a much longer period of time.

This is a horror story that makes me feel lucky I have never gotten frostbite from my MANY times I've (consciously) harvested without certain articles/walked around without gloves.

I do it for fashion, you see, my paper white hands look better with this coat than these blue mittens.