Locations you'd somehow missed

I found that new cave on accident in a blizzard and it saved me! I believe it was added with Episode 3.

The update also added that little shack near Point of Disagreement, but I only just discovered that recently as well. I need to pay better attention!

After playing for nearly 4 years, I also just discovered very recently that 4 is the campfire hotkey. Not sure how that one escaped me.. I never hit 4 on accident while trying to drop bait? Kinda funny.

Edited by jhickie

7 minutes ago, jhickie said:

I found that new cave on accident in a blizzard and it saved me! I believe it was added with Episode 3.

It was.  I suspect it was added because unless you cheese Episode 3 and do all the side missions without progressing the main storyline, you can find yourself woefully underequipped for the weather.  Say you've started Fallen Star but don't have all that sweet side-mission loot, you're gonna start freezing right around the time you reach the Derelict Cabins, assuming you chose the overland route. If on the other hand you chose to take the river...right around that same spot you'd be up a creek without a reliably sheltered location.  So bam--new cave, complete with a neat little pine needle bed.  Right about at the halfway point to where you'd get to your next major shelter areas en route to the crashed plane.  Enough for a quick fire and nap before heading out again.

Heck, I've been playing for a couple of years, and I realized that I'd never been to HRV when I popped in there in a random-location Interloper run. (And rapidly died)

I decided to go there on my kind of stagnant Voyager long-term game, and I've spent almost a month (game time) playing there, and each new area I discover is like all the stuff I love about TLD all over again!

2 hours ago, TFA303 said:

Heck, I've been playing for a couple of years, and I realized that I'd never been to HRV when I popped in there in a random-location Interloper run. (And rapidly died)

I decided to go there on my kind of stagnant Voyager long-term game, and I've spent almost a month (game time) playing there, and each new area I discover is like all the stuff I love about TLD all over again!

HRV was a glorious addition to TLD. The first time going through that wilderness, with its multi-level layout and intricate cave networks, totally blew me away. It took some time with it to finally start to feel comfortable there. I did a personal '50 days per region' challenge a while back and feel like I became one with that place during my stay there. Monolith Lake (and the caves up the hill) and The Basin are my fav spots. It's actually a fantastic Loper start as well, with many key loot spawn points.

I'm slightly jealous, there's only one first time. Congrats on discovering it!

On 3/5/2020 at 10:17 PM, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Just found this cave by derelict cabins in PV, never seen it before nor noticed it on any community maps, anyone else missed a location for ages then stumbled across it by accident?

Ages ago, using Ver 1.35, I completely mapped all of the regions.  In due course I added new regions and elements, but I missed this cave.  So, on reading your post this morning, I returned to that old Voyager game to map that cave.  I found the cave,  I stood in front of it and used my charcoal, but it didn't appear on the map.  I stood further back and sketched again, still no cave appeared on the map.   I stood right in the mouth of the cave and still failed.  I went inside the cave, that failed.  Thinking that possibly there was an action needed to activate mapping the cave I made a fire and had an hour's sleep in the cave, then went outside and tried again slightly west of a previous position.  And it still did not appear on the map.  Nothing I did would make it appear on the map.

Incidentally while walking along the river from the red barn I reloaded my revolver.  The empty cartridge cases disappeared below the ice.   However, by scanning my cursor over the area I found and retrieved the cases even tho' I couldn't see them.

For me it was the abandoned mine in Coast Highway next to the log sort.  I guess it was added with the last story mode update, but has a cool feature: an elevator in the back of it that only works during an aurora!  Lots of great loot down there

I made another trip to PV in a Voyager game to try and map that new cave by the river.  Once again I failed.    En route I also failed to map the cave that lies between Pensive pond and the road.

What is it about PV that prevents me mapping these caves?   I started the Voyager games in Ver, 1.35  and mapped pretty much everything then, and as new areas and changes added new features I have added them to the map, but not these damned caves.