shotgun??

Alexg

Don’t really expect this to be added ever and it would have to be very specific to add to the game as not to make it to much but what about a double barrel or Remington type to be used in defence say you accidentally stumble upon a bear cause it does happen or a pack of timber wolves the shotgun would fire a a shell killing a timber wolf or injuring others and it could be a one shot for the bear in exchange once an animal shot the hide, guts, and say 75% of the meat becomes unusable as it’s not a hunting weapon wolves only have a maximum meat give of 6kg/13lbs and bears 30kg/66lbs(information from the fandom) Ammunition spawn could be half as frequent as the rifle ammo or less and the reload time a bit longer don’t expect this to be added just a thought and maybe thought others would be able to add to it i just think wielding a double barrel at a Charging bear on forlorn muskeg would be cool 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alexg said:

Don’t really expect this to be added ever and it would have to be very specific to add to the game as not to make it to much but what about a double barrel or Remington type to be used in defence say you accidentally stumble upon a bear cause it does happen or a pack of timber wolves the shotgun would fire a a shell killing a timber wolf or injuring others and it could be a one shot for the bear in exchange once an animal shot the hide, guts, and say 75% of the meat becomes unusable as it’s not a hunting weapon wolves only have a maximum meat give of 6kg/13lbs and bears 30kg/66lbs(information from the fandom) Ammunition spawn could be half as frequent as the rifle ammo or less and the reload time a bit longer don’t expect this to be added just a thought and maybe thought others would be able to add to it i just think wielding a double barrel at a Charging bear on forlorn muskeg would be cool 

Man, since day one Iv been screaming "WHERE IS THE SHOTGUN!?!?!" As its a number one weapon in nearly all of north America. {not just the USA but also Canada!} Simple to use, best for close range only, and now with the mill and reloaded, we could EASILY mill a makeshift boom stick.

My only guess is either they are working on one now, its too easy to use and they will not add it to the game, or they are really toying around with different ways of balancing it.

Hard to tell either way, but we will have to sit back and wait.

• Like 1

If they added the revolver it’s obvious there willing to added weapons to the games with the sole purpose of defence and the revolver is a really cool weapon and I love using it more then the rifle tbh as it’s so simple you hear a growl look for the wolf one shot and hes hauling A** outta your way sometimes even kills him but it’s use against a bear or moose pretty weak even if you fire all 6 shots since there not all guaranteed to land so I think a shotgun would be useful If in that type of up close can’t run away or hide have to fight situation and the way it could damage the hide, gut and more then half the meat is a fair trade and maybe it would lose more percentage per shot then other weapons and jam more often or even cause a wrist sprain if your skill was low 

Guest jeffpeng

You know back before Redux I would have opposed such an idea. I even opposed the Revolver. To some extend I still do. But with those Timberwolves .... I wish I had kept my G36 from back in the day. Shotgun? I'll take that. 

I see your reasoning, OP; but I likely wouldn't even carry it if using meant the hide was lost.  I'm just not interested in carrying around a rifle for this and a revolver for that and a shotgun for something else.  However, if the hides are good, then the shotgun is going to basically make the rifle and revolver obsolete.  The revolver's stated purpose of scaring off wolves has been seriously nerfed as it is.  I'd love an all-purpose weapon that is effective against all predators; but I don't think that's what the devs want to give us.  The flare gun is about as good as it gets.

The only reason a shotgun would be added is if it addresses some concern we don't currently have.  The revolver was only added because it was a deterrent to timberwolves.  And the revolver came first so they could tune it and iron out the bugs, before releasing the threat it was designed to deal with.  (Imagine the backlash if they released both at once...and the revolver was bugged.)   So we have two defensive weapons: The flare pistol as your guaranteed get-out-of-jail free card, and the revolver as a way to respond to multiple threats.  We have two hunting tools: The lightweight but trickier to use bow and arrow, and the heavy hitting (and just heavy overall, really) rifle.  And we have distraction/deterrent tools, like thrown rocks, torches, and flares.  A shotgun firing slugs would basically be the same thing as the rifle we currently have.  There's a reason the Lee Enfield 303 was so widely mass-produced: It is extremely effective at killing things.

13 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

You know back before Redux I would have opposed such an idea. I even opposed the Revolver. To some extend I still do. But with those Timberwolves .... I wish I had kept my G36 from back in the day. Shotgun? I'll take that. 

Have to agree, the revolver is somewhat better than the rifle in some regards {constant ADS, able to multi shot, ect.} but a shotgun is supposed to be up close, and personal....Long range is not an option, so rifle would still have its place, and that would make a shotgun a perfect defense weapon for bears and wolves! Doesn't have to have anything crazy, like a pistol grip or anything. Just an old school wooden butt, pump, and bead sights. Ontop of that, while rifle rounds are fairly large, Im willing to bet shotgun shells are much larger and thus a limit of ammo would help balance itself a bit.

Edited by wizard03
  • Upvote 1

For new players though it’s very difficult to obtain a distress pistol or bow the only two spots Ino about are the rail car in the bottom of Ravine which requires mountain  rope and I’m unsure if it’s a guarantee spawn and the summit of timber wolf mountain which more then likely no new player will be travelling up anytime soon until they’ve played at least 150 hrs and know the basics and are borderline intermediate as for the bow there’s a lot of steps to using it for hunting first you need to find the sapling or just one lying about let the sapling cure then go to a forge craft arrow heads, cure birch saplings and collect crow feathers then you need to practice with the bow until you can actually hit a shot with I mean a deer wolf or rabbit is a easy to kill with some practice but a bear or moose is a 1 in a 1000000 shot to insta kill when I played the game for the first time in stalker/voyager there was no revolver and I wasn’t experienced enough to use the bow or get the distress pistol so I’d use the rifle for every thing defence and hunting and flares if I had them when the revolver came that solved the situation with wolfs both grey and timber but what about bears and moose one time i was gathering birch bark near the dam stumbled upon the moose and with the revolver fired 6 shots sloppily still got trampled and had broken ribs Next was heading back to the plane crash at night ran into that bear on the bridge fired all my shots still got mauled my point is the shotgun would be a guaranteed way to escape that situation with the pure intention of escape not hunting which is why I feel the hide and some meat being damaged is realistic I mean what do you think would happen if you shot a bear or moose with a dbs that the skin would be perfect (sorry for the long paragraph)

28 minutes ago, Alexg said:

For new players though it’s very difficult to obtain a distress pistol or bow the only two spots Ino about are the rail car in the bottom of Ravine which requires mountain  rope and I’m unsure if it’s a guarantee spawn and the summit of timber wolf mountain which more then likely no new player will be travelling up anytime soon until they’ve played at least 150 hrs and know the basics and are borderline intermediate as for the bow there’s a lot of steps to using it for hunting first you need to find the sapling or just one lying about let the sapling cure then go to a forge craft arrow heads, cure birch saplings and collect crow feathers then you need to practice with the bow until you can actually hit a shot with I mean a deer wolf or rabbit is a easy to kill with some practice but a bear or moose is a 1 in a 1000000 shot to insta kill when I played the game for the first time in stalker/voyager there was no revolver and I wasn’t experienced enough to use the bow or get the distress pistol so I’d use the rifle for every thing defence and hunting and flares if I had them when the revolver came that solved the situation with wolfs both grey and timber but what about bears and moose one time i was gathering birch bark near the dam stumbled upon the moose and with the revolver fired 6 shots sloppily still got trampled and had broken ribs Next was heading back to the plane crash at night ran into that bear on the bridge fired all my shots still got mauled my point is the shotgun would be a guaranteed way to escape that situation with the pure intention of escape not hunting which is why I feel the hide and some meat being damaged is realistic I mean what do you think would happen if you shot a bear or moose with a dbs that the skin would be perfect (sorry for the long paragraph)

The flare pistol at the bottom of the Ravine is a guaranteed spawn and it is not that hard to get.  There is a strong chance that a mountain rope will spawn in the railcar at the top of the Ravine.  If not there, then there is usually one at the destroyed lookout in Mystery Lake.  Failing that, one can always be taken from a place where they are already deployed in the game (and Mystery Lake has two locations where the rope is already placed and where you don't need the rope to get down from (or even really need it to get up to) the top of it (i.e. the Western Access to the Lake or the Lake Overlook area).

You're proposing that shotgun ammo be a rare spawn and I could see Hinterland balancing the game by also reducing rifle and revolver ammo spawns and well as spawns of bows and arrows, just the same as how rifle spawns were reduced when the revolver was introduced.

As I said, I would love to have a single weapon that is effective against all predators; but I don't think that's what Hinterland wants to give us.  Beginner or not, they don't want to make it easy on us to kill off the wildlife.

I would preffer to carry shotgin as defence against hostile wildlife over wheelgun or rifle anytime. my playstyle is not aimed for hunt, so shotgun as defensive weaponry would be good.

i dont know if double barrel or pumpaction, but double barrel fits probably more into universe, pump action is more practical.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The flare pistol at the bottom of the Ravine is a guaranteed spawn and it is not that hard to get.  There is a strong chance that a mountain rope will spawn in the railcar at the top of the Ravine.  If not there, then there is usually one at the destroyed lookout in Mystery Lake.  Failing that, one can always be taken from a place where they are already deployed in the game (and Mystery Lake has two locations where the rope is already placed and where you don't need the rope to get down from (or even really need it to get up to) the top of it (i.e. the Western Access to the Lake or the Lake Overlook area).

You're proposing that shotgun ammo be a rare spawn and I could see Hinterland balancing the game by also reducing rifle and revolver ammo spawns and well as spawns of bows and arrows, just the same as how rifle spawns were reduced when the revolver was introduced.

As I said, I would love to have a single weapon that is effective against all predators; but I don't think that's what Hinterland wants to give us.  Beginner or not, they don't want to make it easy on us to kill off the wildlife.

Not reducing the spawn rate of ammo maybe sharing the locations of rifles and shotguns as the trappers cabin could contain either, or the dam and maybe one map contains either the shotgun or rifle or both or none

As for Ammon do make it not that your going around 60 shells killing everything the ammo should be significantly rarer Then the revolver or rifle maybe one box per map containing 4 shells that spawn near the shotgun spawn the rest must be crafted 

And besides for the moose and timber wolves  the animals are already easy enough to kill in my opinion if I wake up in game and say I’m gonna go kill a bear 9 outta 10 times I’ll find the bear and kill him easily unless i have little ammo I don’t mind luring the bear to a structured like a blind, hut or tree as most bear spawns are near some sort or structure and putting 3 or 4 bullets and he’s dead the difficulty comes with if your early to mid game and only have say 6 bullets in a revolver or 5-10 in a rifle and you don’t want to waste them on attempting to kill the bear if your not prepared either with energy or meds or a place up hide with a shotgun attempting to sneak round the bear and if he charges you, decide if you want to take the mauling or waste 2 of your shells and so don’t think you got away easily with that kill the gut hide and 75% of the meat becomes unusable 

5 minutes ago, Alexg said:

Not reducing the spawn rate of ammo maybe sharing the locations of rifles and shotguns as the trappers cabin could contain either, or the dam and maybe one map contains either the shotgun or rifle or both or none

As for Ammon do make it not that your going around 60 shells killing everything the ammo should be significantly rarer Then the revolver or rifle maybe one box per map containing 4 shells that spawn near the shotgun spawn the rest must be crafted 

And besides for the moose and timber wolves  the animals are already easy enough to kill in my opinion if I wake up in game and say I’m gonna go kill a bear 9 outta 10 times I’ll find the bear and kill him easily unless i have little ammo I don’t mind luring the bear to a structured like a blind, hut or tree as most bear spawns are near some sort or structure and putting 3 or 4 bullets and he’s dead the difficulty comes with if your early to mid game and only have say 6 bullets in a revolver or 5-10 in a rifle and you don’t want to waste them on attempting to kill the bear if your not prepared either with energy or meds or a place up hide with a shotgun attempting to sneak round the bear and if he charges you, decide if you want to take the mauling or waste 2 of your shells and so don’t think you got away easily with that kill the gut hide and 75% of the meat becomes unusable 

The only reason to kill a bear late game is to get the hide to repair either your bearskin bedroll or your bearskin coat.  By that time in the game, players are usually proficient in 1) avoiding them and 2) killing deer with the bow as a source of safe meat (that doesn't present the risk of parasites).  If the hide is going to be ruined in the process, I am not going to be bothered carrying a shotgun in addition to my bow (or a rifle).  I don't want to see the availability of rifle ammo reduced (which also reduces the amount of casings in the game) to make way for a shotgun which would just be added weight I'd have to carry as a secondary "emergency" weapon for whenever I run out of rifle ammo... and a weapon that would ruin the hide as well.  I'd rather carry a flare gun for that purpose.  That way, if I do happen to kill the animal with the flare gun, I get the hide and all the meat as a bonus.

Guest jeffpeng
2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

which would just be added weight

That's actually a good point. Fully equipped you are almost overweight by default. A shotgun would weight in at around the same weight the rifle does. Now the reason I leave my rifle at home almost all the time is weight - and a shotgun with the same drawback would pretty certainly befall the same fate. The more I think about it .... nah, a shotgun really isn't the solution. (My G36 however would be :D )

Jokes aside: For everything besides Timberwolves there already is the joker gun (Flare Pistol) ... and add yet another weapon just for Timberwolves - because, let's be honest: the only thing the revolver really is good at is fighting Timberwolves - I don't think so. And yes, the Flare Pistol is available enough for its intended usecase as a defensive only weapon, and it's easy enough to obtain when you know where it is.

Plus 

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

killing deer with the bow as a source of safe meat (that doesn't present the risk of parasites)

If you get parasites this late in the game you've done something wrong. I still usually avoid bears unless I need their hide - but more for the rather likely outcome of getting the frozen end of the stick, if you know what I mean 😉 Really late in a game, however, when wildlife dies out .... a bear can get you through a lot of winter.

14 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

That's actually a good point. Fully equipped you are almost overweight by default. A shotgun would weight in at around the same weight the rifle does. Now the reason I leave my rifle at home almost all the time is weight - and a shotgun with the same drawback would pretty certainly befall the same fate. The more I think about it .... nah, a shotgun really isn't the solution. (My G36 however would be :D )

Jokes aside: For everything besides Timberwolves there already is the joker gun (Flare Pistol) ... and add yet another weapon just for Timberwolves - because, let's be honest: the only thing the revolver really is good at is fighting Timberwolves - I don't think so. And yes, the Flare Pistol is available enough for its intended usecase as a defensive only weapon, and it's easy enough to obtain when you know where it is.

Plus 

If you get parasites this late in the game you've done something wrong. I still usually avoid bears unless I need their hide - but more for the rather likely outcome of getting the frozen end of the stick, if you know what I mean 😉 Really late in a game, however, when wildlife dies out .... a bear can get you through a lot of winter.

Fair enough... my lack of experience with long-game interloper runs is showing since I cap everything at 500 days and, in interloper/stalker runs, I usually die much much earlier... usually to wolves.  The OP is suggesting that 75% of the meat would also be ruined, along with the hide... so I would think that would negate the late-game food benefit you're describing after wildlife dies out as well.  I think it would still be prudent, in that case, to leave the shotgun at home and take on the bear with the bow or rifle instead.

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The OP is suggesting that 75% of the meat would also be ruined, along with the hide

Nah that would be a total waste of a perfectly good bear. Not gonna do that.

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I think it would still be prudent, in that case, to leave the shotgun at home and take on the bear with the bow or rifle instead.

Thinking about it .... Yeah I prolly would rather take the hit than "waste" the bear. If your not on your last legs already anyways you can survive a bear even Interloper more reliably than even a wolf.

Which kinda points at the actual root cause: people running around with 30% health, 75% fatigued and then wondering why they die to a wolf.

23 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Nah that would be a total waste of a perfectly good bear. Not gonna do that.

Thinking about it .... Yeah I prolly would rather take the hit than "waste" the bear. If your not on your last legs already anyways you can survive a bear even Interloper more reliably than even a wolf.

Which kinda points at the actual root cause: people running around with 30% health, 75% fatigued and then wondering why they die to a wolf.

Been taking a look at everyone's comments, and Id have to say, for the sake of argument, I can see where a shotgun would feel rather unwanted....especially with the damage to hide + weight as you mentioned. At least on any other mode besides interloper. Sadly the flare gun has limited and non salvageable ammo. Because of this, trying to get to the cannery is nearly impossible with just the flare gun alone. I feel you would at least need 2 or 3 marine flares in order to do the job. Unless the revolver becomes a full blow world spawn in interloper, I would feel like a shotgun with many downsides would be a fair compromise as its supposed to be a defense weapon anyhow. 

Would a shotgun with those downsides really be that bad? At least in terms of interloper mode only in mind? The rifle does not spawn on normal interloper settings, so you will never have to worry about the added weight of a rifle and shotgun in your inventory at the same time. The extra damage delt to hides/meat, its not a really good farming tool either and would encourage using the shotgun to go for the revolver, and while you could still work on a bow and arrow kit, it would help your character buy some time for those who was unable to find the tools or supplies needed to craft.

2 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

@wizard03So a shotgun for Interloper? If it really takes a new weapon added to the game to deal with Timberwolves ... maybe one should take a look at them.

Well.....Trying to find a sound argument here, but I can't honestly. XD Truly trying to hold onto the fact that this is indeed a game.

The only real argument I got is its strictly a defense weapon....Right now, the revolver can do both. It can offer offense and defense fairly well. {I have killed bear and moose with it and without getting attacked} Ontop of that, its lightweight and for me, that's better than the rifle. I actually think its a bit more overpowered than the developers was aiming for even though the rifle is more powerful per shot. Now while it fits into the game well {Old school, few moving parts, probably discarded by someone}, Im not a big fan of it. "IF" you manage to find it, a box of ammo, and get out of BI, well....If you die, its due to multiple very poor decisions, or extremely terrible luck.

But as for shotguns, you could make an argument that you could craft an extremely simple blunderbuss from scrap metal at the mill, or maybe you can find a old school over and under, or even a super cheap pump action should be just as easy to find. As far as weapon complexity is concerned, shotguns are possibly the simplest weapons to have ever existed. To some degree they was probably what came after the bow and arrow as riffling was not invented for hundreds of years after black powder weapons!

So in conclusion, I actually do feel like a simple shotgun of some type deserves to be in the game......Short range, loud, heavy, difficult to aim, and ammo should be just as heavy or more so than rifle rounds. Not sure if it should be home made, not sure if it should mess with harvesting your target, however I do feel like it deserves a place here. And if no other difficulty other than interloper, I feel it should have a home within the long dark. But it would make for some extreme decision making if it did indeed damage hide's, guts, and meat. Are you willing to waste a highly valuable shell? Are you willing to destroy some or most of the animal your hunting? Or is this a last ditch attempt to run off a wolf, or trying to cull the timber pack to go fix the gun and make more ammo? As a defense weapon, that makes sense ALL around. As a hunting weapon, its much better to use bow, revolver, or flare gun.

Guest jeffpeng
2 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Right now, the revolver can do both. It can offer offense and defense fairly well.

It's a bit of a jack of all traits, yeah. Not that I play much Stalker anymore, but for me it felt like .... it didn't do anything good, just all of it sorta-kinda meh. Bear ... yeah I've done that. Moose? Wow, I didn't think that possible. What make the Revolver kinda unique is the ability to shoot without aiming. I've played around with that a little bit ... and it's been surprising accurate. Actually considering how hard aiming a sidearm from the hip really is ... our survivor in TLD is a pro.

But as for shotguns, you could make an argument that you could craft an extremely simple blunderbuss from scrap metal at the mill, or maybe you can find a old school over and under, or even a super cheap pump action should be just as easy to find. As far as weapon complexity is concerned, shotguns are possibly the simplest weapons to have ever existed. To some degree they was probably what came after the bow and arrow as riffling was not invented for hundreds of years after black powder weapons!

Agreed. I'm not saying a shotgun wouldn't fit in the game thematically or even from a lore standpoint. In fact I'm rather sure that it was on the table at some point. As previously mentioned that it is not in the game is almost .... surprising.

Short range, loud, heavy, difficult to aim, and ammo should be just as heavy or more so than rifle rounds.

So who's gonna use that then? :D 

Let's look at this how maybe a game designer would look at it. Considering how much they "improved" wolves they don't want you to have a reliable out from struggles. The revolver already is a concession into that direction, but I bet without Timberwolves it wouldn't exist. The distress pistol is that easy out of every situation BUT timberwolves, but the limited ammunition puts it at the same level of a stim: very powerful, very rare. If you make the shotgun as rare as the flare shells ..... that would sorta balance it, but then again: what's the point? So the shotgun would be relatively redundant. Crafting shotgun ammunition? That would put a dent into struggle mechanics as a whole as soon as you got to BI. You could of course balance that out like you suggested (heavy, difficult, short range) but at that point the shotgun would not be "fun" anymore, and you don't really want to implement something that just frustrates the players (I'm looking at you, new wolf AI). So basically what that version of the shotgun would come out as is a "bad distress pistol" with a ton of drawbacks, but with the ability to make more ammunition. Nobody, really nobody is going to like this.

What I could see work instead is this:

a) Improve the distress pistol's effectivity against Timberwolves. That's overdue. Every sane create on the island runs from a flare gun, except Timberwolves. They are as (un)phased as they are from being hit by a stone.

b) Somethieng @ThePancakeLadysuggested before: make crafting flare shells available by harvesting emergency flares. With the limited availability of flares you'd have to make a rather tough choice if you want to throw away your magic all-weather torch for, let's say, 2 shells of magic bear-be-gone shells. This would get the distress pistol into the entire ammunition crafting mechanic, put an additional lease on life on it but also retain relative finiteness of available ammunition of the weapon.

Sure, you still wouldn't see a shotgun in the game, but do you want to have to carry around 3-5kg of additional weight? I know I don't.

Shotgun ammo i very heavy, 100 12 g catridges weights over 4 kg. Thats a lot more than almost any rifle ammo. And if shotgun will ruin meat, guts and leather i dont care much. Thats risk of very effective selfdefence firearm. With revolver i am dead. I cant handle that thing.

But i dont know if preffer double barrel (or O/U preferrably) or tube fed pump action. That pump action could have tube capacity based on condition (you cannot load shotgun in bad shape to max tube capacity).

21 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Trying to save room, so I squished the reply. 😛 OCD issues.

Yeah, I think I hit the moose 4 or 5 times with the revolver. All but two was good shots, but she gets the job done. And I must agree, it is rather surprising the shotgun was forgone for a rifle...Must be a particular reason why.

Admittedly because of those issues I pushed out there, it would be a rather difficult to accept the shotgun as a useful tool, or even as a "must have" tool to carry around. But Im just trying to think of some balancing properties. 

And I do agree with the flare gun not deterring the timber wolves. I remember camping on the stairs that went up to the lockout point/ranger station trying to get a kill, and missed.....Wasted a flare, and not even a dent into morale meter....Ontop of that, apparently the wolfies would still be waiting for you to come downstairs even after sleeping 12 hours....It defiantly needs a bump. Recrafting new shells would at least be less questionable and should be simple enough....cardboard, harvesting flares for flare powder, gunpowder, and a bit of scrap metal.....boom. As for the ole blunder buss, I must say that there could be a couple advantages of having it, but yeah a 6lb long arm isn't going to be as good as a revolver. Even if it was offered as a rifle replacement on interloper, it would only be used for BI and ignored the rest of the time.

In the end, "IF" they offered the shotgun, it would have to have some advantages compared to all the weapons to be usefull as well as to counter some of the balances.....Maybe they can shoot flares too? :P

I guess in the end, a shotgun isn't going to fit well into the game. Unless they add carrying capacity, a sled with a shotgun holster, or remove a weapon from the game, its just not going to pan out well.....tis a shame, hunters of all kinds have one thing in common. A massive percentage of them own a 12 gauge.

Guest jeffpeng
5 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

I guess in the end, a shotgun isn't going to fit well into the game. Unless they add carrying capacity, a sled with a shotgun holster, or remove a weapon from the game, its just not going to pan out well.....tis a shame, hunters of all kinds have one thing in common. A massive percentage of them own a 12 gauge.

That's when a game's design clashes with its inspiration from reality. It's particularly pronounced in TLD not because TLD is so far from reality, but because it is so close to it in many aspects that every deviation from reality causes this "but this should be in the game"-itch. But in the end a game is a game, and the rules in it serve to make the game work. If a thing doesn't work in a game you don't add it to the game, and if it's the realest thing in the world. TLD is no exception I guess.

But yeah, it's really sort of a shame. I remember in my earliest days I actually suspected to find a shotgun at Skeeter's becasue ... well, self explanatory, ain't it. :D And when I didn't I looked up the Wiki, only to find out there is no shotgun, and my spontaneous reaction was "why?! how?!". But, all things considered .... it makes sense there is no shotgun in the game.

Also .... I remember it was @BareSkinthat made the argument a while back that you shouldn't find any weapons in TLD at all because the one thing people would pack with a cataclysmic event occuring is .... their weapons. Which is how I explained the absence of firearms on Interloper to myself since. So .... maybe people all grabbed their double barrel and beat it. Who knows :D