shotgun??

Alexg

Well 

11 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Also .... I remember it was @BareSkinthat made the argument a while back that you shouldn't find any weapons in TLD at all because the one thing people would pack with a cataclysmic event occuring is .... their weapons. Which is how I explained the absence of firearms on Interloper to myself since. So .... maybe people all grabbed their double barrel and beat it. Who knows :D 

Well my run in with grey mother left me with the impression that maybe some made it out, others didn't. I thought maybe you could find one that no one knew about, or was very well hidden. Then the hunters lodge.....I would have swore to the heavens just a cheap ole junk pump or something, but then I dug into the forums later and found out. x.x

27 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

Trying to save room, so I squished the reply. 😛 OCD issues.

Yeah, I think I hit the moose 4 or 5 times with the revolver. All but two was good shots, but she gets the job done. And I must agree, it is rather surprising the shotgun was forgone for a rifle...Must be a particular reason why.

Admittedly because of those issues I pushed out there, it would be a rather difficult to accept the shotgun as a useful tool, or even as a "must have" tool to carry around. But Im just trying to think of some balancing properties. 

And I do agree with the flare gun not deterring the timber wolves. I remember camping on the stairs that went up to the lockout point/ranger station trying to get a kill, and missed.....Wasted a flare, and not even a dent into morale meter....Ontop of that, apparently the wolfies would still be waiting for you to come downstairs even after sleeping 12 hours....It defiantly needs a bump. Recrafting new shells would at least be less questionable and should be simple enough....cardboard, harvesting flares for flare powder, gunpowder, and a bit of scrap metal.....boom. As for the ole blunder buss, I must say that there could be a couple advantages of having it, but yeah a 6lb long arm isn't going to be as good as a revolver. Even if it was offered as a rifle replacement on interloper, it would only be used for BI and ignored the rest of the time.

In the end, "IF" they offered the shotgun, it would have to have some advantages compared to all the weapons to be usefull as well as to counter some of the balances.....Maybe they can shoot flares too? :P

I guess in the end, a shotgun isn't going to fit well into the game. Unless they add carrying capacity, a sled with a shotgun holster, or remove a weapon from the game, its just not going to pan out well.....tis a shame, hunters of all kinds have one thing in common. A massive percentage of them own a 12 gauge.

I don't think the shotgun is as popular as the hunting rifle  around the parts of Canada I'm from.  I know several people who own hunting rifles and a few who still own .303's actually; whereas.  I do not know anyone personally who owns a shotgun.  I can't explain why... but that's my personal experience.

8 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I don't think the shotgun is as popular as the hunting rifle  around the parts of Canada I'm from.  I know several people who own hunting rifles and a few who still own .303's actually; whereas.  I do not know anyone personally who owns a shotgun.  I can't explain why... but that's my personal experience.

That's quite crazy. From what Iv looked up, owning a shotgun is a bit easier than a rifle in Canada, isn't it?

EDIT: just took anouther look, apparently I am incorrect. However I do find it funny that the revolver is supposed to be restricted. 

List of Restricted and Prohibited Firearms in Canada Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms Prohibited, Restricted or Non-Restricted

Edited by wizard03

41 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

That's quite crazy. From what Iv looked up, owning a shotgun is a bit easier than a rifle in Canada, isn't it?

EDIT: just took anouther look, apparently I am incorrect. However I do find it funny that the revolver is supposed to be restricted. 

List of Restricted and Prohibited Firearms in Canada Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms Prohibited, Restricted or Non-Restricted

I think most shotguns fall into the same class as the hunting rifles depending on barrel length and overall length.  As I said, I don't really have an explanation for it.  I just conferred with a friend on it and he's also of the view that he knows far more people who own rifles than shotguns.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I think most shotguns fall into the same class as the hunting rifles depending on barrel length and overall length.  As I said, I don't really have an explanation for it.  I just conferred with a friend on it and he's also of the view that he knows far more people who own rifles than shotguns.

Crazy. Here on the other side of the border, we all got shotguns and "most" of the people I know have rifles....typically AR-15's, but also a cluster of custom bolt actions, .22 semi auto's, ect. ect.

As for myself, just a couple shotties…..My first one I bought ever, my fathers 3 1/2in. 12 gauge, and a semi auto 12 gauge.

5 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Crazy. Here on the other side of the border, we all got shotguns and "most" of the people I know have rifles....typically AR-15's, but also a cluster of custom bolt actions, .22 semi auto's, ect. ect.

As for myself, just a couple shotties…..My first one I bought ever, my fathers 3 1/2in. 12 gauge, and a semi auto 12 gauge.

Well, we all know that some Canadians have been citing American gun culture as "crazy" for years.  Don't get me wrong, lots of Canadians own guns and we have gun clubs up here just as you have them in the US.  It's just the people I know own rifles rather than shotguns... a preference for hunting at range perhaps.  In my area, bow hunting is actually extremely popular as well.  Pistols are restricted, but can be obtained with the proper license and background checks.  Owning guns for personal or home defense doesn't seem to be as big a thing here as it appears to us to be a thing in the US.

At any rate, in this game, I probably wouldn't carry a shotgun... too much weight for too little payoff.  I'll likely remain partial to the .303.  It's a good rifle with a great history... and hope they tweak the timberwolves so that one of the weapons we already have in the game is a little more effective at scaring them off for a longer period of time (either flare gun or pistol).  The .303 should drop them like a rock.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Guest jeffpeng
7 hours ago, wizard03 said:

However I do find it funny that the revolver is supposed to be restricted. 

A revolver is easily concealed, a rifle not so much. Plus while you would need a rifle to hunt, you wouldn't hunt with a sidearm. So in real life .... the purpose of a revolver or a semi auto is almost exclusively for personal "defense". So personally I find it a good idea to ask someone why they actually would want to own one of these.

But .... compared to German gun laws this is still hilariously lax. Here you can't get even get a firecracker without a proper license (well, except 3 days before new year ^^). There are virtually no guns here.

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The .303 should drop them like a rock.

Agreed. If you actually manage to hit them, which is a bit of feat in itself with the rifle, you should indeed drop them guaranteed.

5 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Well, we all know that some Canadians have been citing American gun culture as "crazy" for years.  Don't get me wrong, lots of Canadians own guns and we have gun clubs up here just as you have them in the US.  It's just the people I know own rifles rather than shotguns... a preference for hunting at range perhaps.  In my area, bow hunting is actually extremely popular as well.  Pistols are restricted, but can be obtained with the proper license and background checks.  Owning guns for personal or home defense doesn't seem to be as big a thing here as it appears to us to be a thing in the US.

At any rate, in this game, I probably wouldn't carry a shotgun... too much weight for too little payoff.  I'll likely remain partial to the .303.  It's a good rifle with a great history... and hope they tweak the timberwolves so that one of the weapons we already have in the game is a little more effective at scaring them off for a longer period of time (either flare gun or pistol).  The .303 should drop them like a rock.

I would suspect you are correct. While Im sure we have similar regions such as marsh, woods, plains. Most of the hunting around here is strictly in dense woods instead of open flats. Both deer and waterfowl is typically within 50-100 meters/yards. And yes, bow hunting here is also a strong tradition and even has deer seasons dedicated to bow hunters only in early fall and late winter.

As for the shotty, yeah....Other than perhaps a looper only weapon to replace the rifle with more drawbacks than benefits, I can't really justify its existence where as the rifle already is implemented into the game and does a great job {when the frame rate doesn't tank or the aim acceleration throws you off target x.x} So even though a shotgun would seem to fit within the hinterland universe, sadly it will probably be a broken piece in this wonderful game. 

3 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

But .... compared to German gun laws this is still hilariously lax. Here you can't get even get a firecracker without a proper license (well, except 3 days before new year ^^). There are virtually no guns here.

Iv seen some video's of people who own guns in Germany, and while it is possible, the amount of hurdles they throw at you is absolutely crazy! In fact if there was ever an apocalypse, Id probably buddy up with a law abiding gun owning German…...Never run out of toilet paper. XD 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

Iv seen some video's of people who own guns in Germany, and while it is possible, the amount of hurdles they throw at you is absolutely crazy! In fact if there was ever an apocalypse, Id probably buddy up with a law abiding gun owning German…...Never run out of toilet paper. XD 

:D And of salt.

Nah biggest problem of gun ownership in germany is stupid periodical checks of use via training visits.

Also, Germans like die Grünen and other left parties which are very antigun, so, be gun owner in Germany isnt a great idea.

here in CZ, rifles are more common, but because of sport shooting and most of them are semi autos. In Germany, hunting bolt actions and shotguns are more prevalent, howver rifles are more common too.

Also shotty is more situational gun, rifle is good for any animal, except bird, you can hunt even rabbits with .22m however rabbits here are hunted with shotgun, becuase they are forced to run in great numbers to reveal their hidespot and hit it with rifle isnt very reliable.

Edited by Moll

Guest jeffpeng
7 hours ago, Moll said:

Also, Germans like die Grünen and other left parties which are very antigun, so, be gun owner in Germany isnt a great idea.

Gun restrictions in Germany predate Die Grünen and other leftist parties by decades. Some regulations might be tighter now than their were 20 years ago, following mass shooting incidents in public schools in 2002 and again 2009, but in general you always needed a (very good) reason to be allowed to own a gun and an even better reason to carry it in public ... practically since the country exists. There currently is no party in Germany that seriously would consider changing anything about that, not the conservative CDU and not even the (borderline?) nationalist AfD.

On 1/1/2020 at 6:32 PM, Alexg said:

what about a double barrel or Remington

Late to the party I know... but shotguns?  I'd rather not.  I think we have all the weapons we could possibly need.  (though I am still hopeful the bear spear will still make an appearance in survival in the future --- definitely not a necessity, but since it was spoke of by the Hinterland team... I'm eager to see what they'll come up with for it)

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac

no, we dont need more. The more the better. because you are forced to use whatever you have (not all of them can be available in particular run).

However there are more important things to do, like improve Inlet location and tin can factory, which is joke.